Author Topic: MegaMek Empires Descriptive Video  (Read 1518 times)

Kristan Dagley

• Private
MegaMek Empires Descriptive Video
« on: 07 July 2020, 07:12:42 »
Anyone interested in joining?  ??? 8)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v27-uvHd05M

MoleMan

• Master Sergeant
Re: MegaMek Empires Descriptive Video
« Reply #1 on: 08 July 2020, 05:45:12 »
This looks very cool! How many hours of my week is it likely to swallow?

MoleMan

• Master Sergeant
« Reply #2 on: 08 July 2020, 05:50:57 »
How many people are playing at the moment?

Leondus

• Recruit
  • Wubba Lubba Dub Dub
« Reply #3 on: 08 July 2020, 12:48:38 »
looks very interesting

Daryk

• Lieutenant General
  • The Double Deuce II/II-σ
« Reply #4 on: 08 July 2020, 13:17:51 »
I'll be interested to see how it plays out, but clan tech is in, so I'm not...

Kristan Dagley

• Private
« Reply #5 on: 08 July 2020, 22:18:12 »
Hey folks, I will try to answer some of your questions now.

@MoleMan Typically in the early game it might only take 15 to 30 minutes to purchase new forces, deploy them and move them on the strategic map. Of course if we get to years down the road and larger empires it might take a little more micromanagement, however I have tried to make it as simple as possible so you don't need to devote a lot of time to it. Although you certainly could...

However when you do have a battle it might take about 1-2 hours for against the bot (bandits/pirates) and perhaps 2-3? with other players depending on if they are used to MegaMek or internet games or not. I will be trying to provide instructions for everyone when they do eventually have to fight other people, but that is very unlikely for the first number of turns as you don't spawn right next door to one another.

@Moleman As of this moment there are 27 registered players, including yourself once you submit files. We started with an Alpha play test group of 19 and had someone else join in very late into the Alpha. We do have a forum at https://megamekempires.boards.net/ that is just starting to get traffic.

@Daryk Just for the record I am asking players questions when they sign up, such as their main goal: roleplay, empire building (defensive play), warmongering (offensive play), making an empire that will eventually hire out forces mercenary style to other empires, if the player in question is interested in canon Clan combat style, etc. I am endeavoring to place empires on different "continents" or island chains based on player interests.

Based on these questions it is is possible to put you with folks who like Inner Sphere tech better (already a thing), or perhaps just 3025 era tech (which hasn't been requested yet but is possible to setup I made a huge map with extra space for that reason).  I currently have a "mixed" zone (which also houses a small corner for people interested in mercs, "Clan" only zone and an "Inner Sphere" only zone. The number of players on each isn't equal obviously, but is decent enough to make it work, and it has only been about a week so far with very little attempt to recruit thus far.

I can keep you fairly far away from the other "cliques", and in the case of the 3025 era idea would just institute a no play zone of admin control so players with Clan equipment or more advanced tech just can't enter (However in the current Inner Sphere tech zone I can't completely guarantee an Inner Sphere aligned player won't throw in a single Clan 'mech once in awhile in their armies. Some people just really like one particular design and want a couple of those units. The current player base mostly has an understanding to that regard. I won't say who or what, but I know of one single case of this.)

We are only ONE turn into the game so I can be very flexible and change things quite easily right now.
« Last Edit: 08 July 2020, 22:29:23 by Kristan Dagley »

Daryk

• Lieutenant General
  • The Double Deuce II/II-σ
« Reply #6 on: 09 July 2020, 05:07:57 »
Kristan,
     Thank you for the very detailed response!  I have to admit I'm pretty particular about what I like in my 3025 (all the available IS Experimental stuff is ok... Blazer Cannons, Recon Cameras, Remote Sensor Dispensers, etc.; things that should have been there all along). That said, I just can't guarantee I have the time right now.  Retirement is four years away, and I'll absolutely continue to track this effort until I do have time.

-Daryk

Kristan Dagley

• Private
« Reply #7 on: 09 July 2020, 09:56:48 »
No worries.  For those who are reading this thread I will also state, if you don't know already from watching the video link above, that a turn lasts ONE real week, or 7 days. Thus it should only take 15-30 minutes a week to purchase, deploy, move or repair units in your two files. Battles won't happen every week, but when they do could take 1-2 hours more. It is possible to get your opponent to postpone a fight for another week, if they agree, but we try to make everything happen a little timely.

Plinythemechwarrior

• Catalyst Demo Team
  • Corporal
« Reply #8 on: 09 July 2020, 14:56:33 »
Hi Kristan,

This looks really interesting. How familiar does someone need to be with MegamekHQ? I've never used the HQ so I'm not sure how much of a learning curve I'm looking at.

I'll share this with my play group. Thanks for setting it up!
Capellans delenda est               Agent #1014, Prince Rupert, Canada

Kristan Dagley

• Private
« Reply #9 on: 09 July 2020, 16:30:49 »
The bulk of what you will be doing in MegaMek HQ is hiring personnel, purchasing new units, repairing those units when damaged, purchasing spare ammunition/replacement weapons/parts, assigning personnel to doctors when they get injured, and using the TO&E tab to "sort of" drop your units into "forces" named after the cells of the spreadsheet used for that overall strategic map. (ie: DF, 123)

The admin will create some of the first "forces" for you to show you and make examples, and will help with making sure things go smoothly for the first few turns (as you won't have combat for the first turns till you get acclimatized).

We don't use the BattleTech Interstellar Map in MegaMek HQ, you don't have to worry about the Mek Lab and making custom units if you don't want to. The Admin will control the Finances Tab, but you can use it to track your funds. Trust me it isn't that hard, and plenty of folks can give you advise on our forum: https://megamekempires.boards.net/

Plinythemechwarrior

• Catalyst Demo Team
  • Corporal
« Reply #10 on: 10 July 2020, 18:34:43 »
Trust me it isn't that hard, and plenty of folks can give you advise on our forum: https://megamekempires.boards.net/

Thanks, I'll pass that along :)
Capellans delenda est               Agent #1014, Prince Rupert, Canada

Kristan Dagley

• Private
« Reply #11 on: 11 July 2020, 07:44:37 »
We currently have 30 players, and are about to start Turn #3 on Monday. Just like with Neveron in the past players can join at any time. Believe me no one is very far ahead, just starting the initial land grabs. There are many areas still wide open for the taking. There are players currently from 7 different time zones so a diverse group.

Drifter

• Corporal
« Reply #12 on: 14 July 2020, 10:34:47 »
NM i got a hold of you in your forum
« Last Edit: 14 July 2020, 10:43:47 by Drifter »

Kristan Dagley

• Private
« Reply #13 on: 16 July 2020, 10:22:18 »
Here is a little video I put together to address those who are wondering how to sign up, and the concerns of those who are wondering how much time this would take each week and are on the fence on whether to join in.

https://youtu.be/2D-r1fDJ8i0