Author Topic: MW5 Pre-Order is Upon Us.  (Read 46011 times)

Wrangler

• Colonel
  • Dang it!
    • Battletech Fanon Wiki
Re: MW5 Pre-Order is Upon Us.
« Reply #30 on: 21 March 2019, 21:55:37 »
Right now, there like tons of Assault Mechs in use right now.  Its like a Steiner Scout company sometimes.
"Men, fetch the Urbanmechs.  We have an interrogation to attend to." - jklantern
"How do you defeat a Dragau? Shoot the damn thing. Lots." - Jellico 
"No, it's a "Most Awesome Blues Brothers scene Reenactment EVER" waiting to happen." VotW Destrier - Weirdo  
"It's 200 LY to Sian, we got a full load of shells, a half a platoon of Grenadiers, it's exploding outside, and we're wearing flak jackets." VoTW Destrier - Misterpants
-Editor on Battletech Fanon Wiki

Cyc

• Captain
    • CycKath at DeviantArt
« Reply #31 on: 21 March 2019, 21:58:12 »
Good spread but wish they had at least 1 light or medium in that mix.

Can you repeat, I can't hear you over the CLANBUSTER KING CRAB

Caedis Animus

• Captain
  • How can a bird be sultry? Very carefully.
« Reply #32 on: 22 March 2019, 19:03:08 »
How odd that a Dark Age Catapult was used.

Also, I'm supremely irritated that the King Crab SPLITS THE FREAKING MISSILE HARDPOINTS. Here I was hoping for an IS equivalent of the Scorch, and NOPE, we get a Scorch with balancing issues.

Empyrus

• Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #33 on: 23 March 2019, 02:30:49 »
CPLT-C2 does originate from MWDA but given its relatively low-tech nature (by the Dark Age) and model number, its introduction is set in 3062. So it is usable for MWO.
« Last Edit: 23 March 2019, 02:38:34 by Empyrus »

NeonKnight

• Freelance Writer
  • Major
  • Cause Them My Initials!
« Reply #34 on: 23 March 2019, 08:51:22 »

How So?

As per the MUL the Catapult CPLT-C2 is a 3062 mech

http://www.masterunitlist.info/Unit/Details/5452/catapult-cplt-c2
AGENT #575, Vancouver Canada

Caedis Animus

• Captain
« Reply #35 on: 23 March 2019, 11:57:53 »
How So?

As per the MUL the Catapult CPLT-C2 is a 3062 mech

http://www.masterunitlist.info/Unit/Details/5452/catapult-cplt-c2
And as per Sarna, it's a Dark Age unit.

I rarely look at the MUL, and sometimes that's a problem, like now.

NeonKnight

• Freelance Writer
  • Major
« Reply #36 on: 23 March 2019, 12:56:09 »
And as per Sarna, it's a Dark Age unit.

I rarely look at the MUL, and sometimes that's a problem, like now.

Ah, well, Sarna is not official and should never be taken as such ;)

But....looking at Sarna, it States:

CPLT-C2
    This Civil War era variant is built using a Hollis Mk. III Endo Steel chassis and powered by a Magna 260 extralight engine, using the saved weight to make the C2 a dedicated long range 'Mech.

And looking at the Hyper Link for Civil War:

The Federated Commonwealth Civil War (otherwise known as the FedCom Civil War, or simply FCCW for short) was one of the most devastating wars to take place in the Inner Sphere. It lasted from 3062 until 3067...

Ar you sure you are not confusing with the K2K variant?

CPLT-K2K
    A Dark Age upgrade to the K2 Catapult, the K2K model upgrades the engine to an extralight model.
« Last Edit: 23 March 2019, 12:58:19 by NeonKnight »

Cache

• Captain
    • Lords of the Battlefield
« Reply #37 on: 23 March 2019, 14:50:48 »
Well... there is this mini that kind of points to a new look: http://ironwindmetals.com/store/product_info.php?products_id=9878

Though I don't know of a BT publication that shows that artwork, the mini did make it through official channels.

Empyrus

• Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #38 on: 23 March 2019, 15:57:31 »
Sarna lists the mech as Dark Age unit because it originates from MWDA but that's all. But it ain't canon, whereas MUL is fully canonical.
For whatever reason, the MWDA CPTL got new looks (that happened with MWDA), and it took quite long to get that in metal. But art is just art, the mech's intro date is most certainly defined as it is due to its stats. Indeed many MWDA variants have been given rather early introduction dates.

Deadborder

• Lieutenant Colonel
  • Technical Victory!
    • Elmer Studios Blog
« Reply #39 on: 23 March 2019, 16:34:07 »
And the amusing part is that three of four of them are chassis I'd wanted to try (The fourth is one I own, so...)
Author of BattleCorps stories Grand Theft Agro and Zero Signal

How to Draw MegaMek Icons the Deadborder Way. Over 9000 so far. Determination or madness?

Cache

• Captain
« Reply #40 on: 23 March 2019, 17:41:20 »
Sarna lists the mech as Dark Age unit because it originates from MWDA but that's all.
After digging a bit, the first BattleTech record sheet published back in 2003 was in RS:MWDA1, listed as tech level 2/3132. That is most likely why it was listed as Dark Age.  Also, looks like someone updated Sarna yesterday with the TRO3050U info.

Caedis Animus

• Captain
« Reply #41 on: 23 March 2019, 19:05:29 »
Ah, well, Sarna is not official and should never be taken as such ;)

But....looking at Sarna, it States:

100% sure I wasn't confused, considering that the update that changed it to the proper era was written on March 21st 2019 and the last time I had looked at the Catapult page was on roughly March 20th 2019.

http://www.sarna.net/wiki/index.php?title=Catapult&diff=519590&oldid=519377 - Link to the edit history of March 21st.
« Last Edit: 23 March 2019, 19:08:23 by Caedis Animus »

NeonKnight

• Freelance Writer
  • Major
« Reply #42 on: 23 March 2019, 19:46:33 »
Ah...well, as I stated, I don't use Sarna that much.

Empyrus

• Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #43 on: 24 March 2019, 00:57:16 »
After digging a bit, the first BattleTech record sheet published back in 2003 was in RS:MWDA1, listed as tech level 2/3132. That is most likely why it was listed as Dark Age.  Also, looks like someone updated Sarna yesterday with the TRO3050U info.
I suspect the writers of that record sheet product didn't think too closely about the dates, instead used dates when the 'Mechs first appeared in MWDA. The CPLT-C2 is in the first MWDA novel, set in 3132, though considering the setting at that point, it seems implausible a small militia (its user in the novel) would have a brand new 'Mech.
The date as added in MUL is much, much more sensible.

And all this MWDA talk makes me sad that it is unlikely we'll ever get a Mechwarrior game set during that time. So many cool 'Mechs and a lot of tech...
Though i suppose that if MWO goes long enough, they will start adding later 'Mechs too. But then again the fact they're making MW5 and it being set in 3025-3049 (and the inevitable Clan Invasion DLC/expansion/sequel if it does well enough commercially) makes me think they'll focus on 'Mechs available on that era as much as possible to maximize amount of shared assets.

Also gotta say i'm supremely disappointed in MW5 pre-order bonuses. Early access or betas are not my thing (prefer to play something more polished), and all the other bonuses relate to MWO, which i stopped playing. My last attempt was last spring, the new city map's performance put me off the game along with its continued issues and unfulfilled promises (i'm a founder).

Euphonium

• Captain
  • Look Ma, no Faction!
« Reply #44 on: 24 March 2019, 05:12:21 »
Also gotta say i'm supremely disappointed in MW5 pre-order bonuses. Early access or betas are not my thing (prefer to play something more polished), and all the other bonuses relate to MWO,

Gotta say, I'm not a fan of pre-ordering, but I would have considered it if the "Community Pre-Order" was aimed at the BattleTech community as well as the MWO community. It gives me the impression that PGI aren't interested in selling to people outside of existing MWO players.
>>>>[You're only jealous because the voices don't talk to you]<<<<

Empyrus

• Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #45 on: 24 March 2019, 06:09:00 »
Gotta say, I'm not a fan of pre-ordering, but I would have considered it if the "Community Pre-Order" was aimed at the BattleTech community as well as the MWO community. It gives me the impression that PGI aren't interested in selling to people outside of existing MWO players.
More like they're just trying to get people to play MWO. Mechwarrior used to be relatively big but they were largely single player games. So, they make MW5 but by offering MWO stuff, they're hoping people who've so far skipped MWO would try it if they got bunch of stuff to start with.

Reckon pre-order bonuses relating to HBS' Battletech or tabletop Battletech might have been tricky to arrange. Probably not impossible but quite possibly not worth it. (HBS BT kickstarter did have tabletop BT stuff but that might have been easier to arrange since they were there as backer rewards, and those include variety of stuff anyhow.)

Wrangler

• Colonel
  • Dang it!
    • Battletech Fanon Wiki
« Reply #46 on: 24 March 2019, 06:30:31 »
Also another revenue stream opens up.  If sells well, they will keep things going so they can make more games and possibly get MWO out of it's current stuck situation where not making anything significantly different.  At least to me.

They could finally open up to other things like like multi-vehicle warefare, add maps they couldn't have due to cost.

Also maybe finally change the code, unless their stuck forever using Microsoft's engine. I heard they were stuck using it if they wanted to make MWO.
"Men, fetch the Urbanmechs.  We have an interrogation to attend to." - jklantern
"No, it's a "Most Awesome Blues Brothers scene Reenactment EVER" waiting to happen." VotW Destrier - Weirdo  
"It's 200 LY to Sian, we got a full load of shells, a half a platoon of Grenadiers, it's exploding outside, and we're wearing flak jackets." VoTW Destrier - Misterpants

mechnut450

• Warrant Officer
« Reply #47 on: 24 March 2019, 06:49:36 »
well I ordered the mw5 early ( before the new mechs added for mwo) I was a low level founder, I have not gotten to play much of anything in the last 3 months between pc going down ( took time to figure what was wrong since i was working so much and never got to spend time tinkering on it.) and now working (in new position and that training and with spring on me I have been getting equipment ready for grass cutting) i got 2 other games I not even gotten to try to play that I got free with my video card, I only had time to download the games I not even had time to read or start them. I am only upset the perineum time is active as i not even loaded MWo and I think it already expired the time bonus lol

Empyrus

• Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #48 on: 24 March 2019, 08:34:20 »
Also maybe finally change the code, unless their stuck forever using Microsoft's engine. I heard they were stuck using it if they wanted to make MWO.
MWO uses CryEngine 3 and has from the beginning.
MW5 uses Unreal 4.

DarkSpade

• Major
« Reply #49 on: 24 March 2019, 08:39:53 »
these preorder bonuses feel like they're more interested in getting me into MWO than MW5.
Space Marines are guys who look at a chainsaw and think, “That should be balanced for parrying.”

slh

• Recruit
« Reply #50 on: 24 March 2019, 10:01:46 »
these preorder bonuses feel like they're more interested in getting me into MWO than MW5.

When the pre-order announcement first showed up, I was annoyed that it only offered MWO-related bonuses, and that didn't seem very "Community" to me (I'm not an MWO player).  A little bit later I read some post or watched some video where I recall Russ saying explicitly "MWO Community".  I think part of the problem is that they worded/advertised it poorly, saying only "Community", and left the "Battletech Community" and "Mechwarrior Community" feeling left out.

My impression then is that the pre-order program was created intentionally to bring in money from their *existing customers* ("MWO Community"), not to bring in new customers ("Battletech Community", "Mechwarrior Community").

And I imagine that, maybe later, there might, maybe, be pre-orders designed to bring in new customers (eg with bonuses related to the actual game).

But it does still leave me also with the impression that PGI isn't thinking very much about potential new customers.

MoleMan

• Master Sergeant
« Reply #51 on: 24 March 2019, 17:29:31 »
Perineum time is a great typo

Cache

• Captain
« Reply #52 on: 24 March 2019, 18:16:51 »
MWO bonuses are something they can control, easily. Any cross-over bonuses with BattleTech (ours or HBS') would not be in their control, and thus, much more difficult to manage. Perhaps they'll add some crossover bonuses, but for not it looks like they're going the easy-to-manage route.

DarkSpade

• Major
« Reply #53 on: 24 March 2019, 18:45:09 »
MWO bonuses are something they can control, easily. Any cross-over bonuses with BattleTech (ours or HBS') would not be in their control, and thus, much more difficult to manage. Perhaps they'll add some crossover bonuses, but for not it looks like they're going the easy-to-manage route.

Or maybe some decent bonuses for the game they're trying to get me to preorder?
Space Marines are guys who look at a chainsaw and think, “That should be balanced for parrying.”

Nightlord01

• Lieutenant
« Reply #54 on: 30 March 2019, 05:34:44 »
Or maybe some decent bonuses for the game they're trying to get me to preorder?

Much harder to do this, what exactly can they do? Maybe a new paint scheme, maybe a new mech, don't know.

I get the feeling this this bonus is more to get MWO players to buy MW5 Mercs than anything else.

Wrangler

• Colonel
  • Dang it!
    • Battletech Fanon Wiki
« Reply #55 on: 30 March 2019, 06:36:08 »
I get the feeling this this bonus is more to get MWO players to buy MW5 Mercs than anything else.
Essentially.

They have huge audience, they need cash to advertise and pay for MW5 itself.  Quickest way is to get known friendly audience, MWO community.  If you add stuff to that, they'll even more want to play.  New new players, who hadn't done MWO, would get incentive to play MWO because some swag they get for joining.

Depending on how MW5 is, how long content is, how many hours of game play there is. Giving more for the self-sustaining MWO, helps retain newer players from MW5 who want more.   It takes time make stuff, for games.  I noticed there less hours play on some of them unless they resort to trickery.   Having MWO is good idea once MW5 runs out missions to do.

Euphonium

• Captain
  • Look Ma, no Faction!
« Reply #56 on: 30 March 2019, 18:08:09 »
Having MWO is good idea once MW5 runs out missions to do.

Having tried MWO I'd rather play MW5 twice or go back to something different, but I get what they're hoping for.

Unless they come up with a really convincing offer for non-MWO players I'm not going to gamble on a pre-order from a company I consider unproven.
>>>>[You're only jealous because the voices don't talk to you]<<<<

Jayof9s

• Captain
« Reply #57 on: 30 March 2019, 19:13:19 »
Unless they come up with a really convincing offer for non-MWO players I'm not going to gamble on a pre-order from a company I consider unproven.

I mean, I'll probably get the base-level preorder. It's a MechWarrior game. Yeah, they may screw it up just like they screwed up every monetization choice they made with MWO but I'll still give it a try.

The MWO addons do nothing for me but frankly I'd prefer they just keep the basic pre-order, rather than have them add a bunch of pre-order only bullshit DLC in the game just to sell the higher-level packs.

IAMCLANWOLF

• Freelance Artist
  • Major
« Reply #58 on: 09 April 2019, 09:29:04 »
Broke down and pre-ordered yesterday. Fingers crossed.

Wrangler

• Colonel
  • Dang it!
    • Battletech Fanon Wiki
« Reply #59 on: 09 April 2019, 12:16:59 »
I was reading news on Ars Technica , their a behind scenes for MW5: Mercs.

It was interesting to watch, has anyone seen it?

Register