Author Topic: Upcoming Releases Volume XIII: Unlucky Release Edition  (Read 198389 times)

NeonKnight

• Freelance Writer
  • Major
  • Cause Them My Initials!
Re: Upcoming Releases Volume XIII: Unlucky Release Edition
« Reply #540 on: 06 August 2018, 01:34:36 »
But is it fan made or something leaked?

CGL. Brent showed off at GenCon
« Last Edit: 06 August 2018, 01:36:08 by NeonKnight »
AGENT #575, Vancouver Canada

Kitsune413

• Major
  • Diamond Khanate Sakhan
« Reply #541 on: 06 August 2018, 01:48:07 »
It looks like Shimmering Swords artwork to me.
Every man lives by exchanging - Adam Smith

PyreLight

• Master Sergeant
« Reply #542 on: 06 August 2018, 02:05:20 »
It looks like Shimmering Swords artwork to me.

Looks more like Marco Mazzoni with the use of colors and pastels.

Geont

• Master Sergeant
« Reply #543 on: 06 August 2018, 02:11:08 »
Looks more like Marco Mazzoni with the use of colors and pastels.

He has confirmed on FB that he had made it.
Born in Czechoslovakia and living in Czechia (or Czech Republic).

Fan of FWL

PyreLight

• Master Sergeant
« Reply #544 on: 06 August 2018, 04:00:12 »
I really hope I can buy this poster. I really, really, really need it. It looks amazing.

Adrian Gideon

• BattleTech Developer
  • Lieutenant Colonel
  • BattleTech Line Developer
« Reply #545 on: 06 August 2018, 04:06:56 »
I actually like the landscape TRO look :P
The whole reason there’s no POD option for the XTRO line is that landscape POD is not offered through those channels. Mark my words, we’re going to have to kill the landscape format, it holds us back.
If you appreciate how I’m doing, send me a tip: ko-fi.com/rayarrastia
fb.com/battletechgame
@CGL_BattleTech

Adrian Gideon

• BattleTech Developer
  • Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #546 on: 06 August 2018, 04:09:28 »
The poster is by Marco Mazzoni. It’s the original cover to the beginner box set. Chew on that.

I was annoyed we didn’t have any posters for the con, so did that up at the last minute. It was so late in the game though that they only hand a handful printed up. We really need to offer posters again.

-Ray
fb.com/battletechgame
@CGL_BattleTech

Jaim Magnus

• Lieutenant Colonel
  • Assisting you and your enemies equally.
« Reply #547 on: 06 August 2018, 04:12:17 »
The whole reason there’s no POD option for the XTRO line is that landscape POD is not offered through those channels. Mark my words, we’re going to have to kill the landscape format, it holds us back.

Change is necessary sometimes, and if it makes the game more accessible, then it's a good change.
BattleCorps - Righteous Fury, Sorrow of Eden, Lady of Steel, I Was Lost, Forsaken : Legacy - The Forgotten Places : Shrapnel - Scavenger's Blood : ELH Chronicles - View from the Ground : Shrapnel - It Ends in Fire, Picking the Bones

worktroll

• Ombudsman
  • Colonel
  • 504th "Gateway" Division
    • There are Monsters in my Sky!
« Reply #548 on: 06 August 2018, 05:16:41 »
If that's what's needed, that's what's needed. Landscape was nice, but worst comes to worst I'll just put the new TROs on the shelf sideways if I feel all nostalgic ;)
* No, FASA wasn't big on errata - ColBosch
* The Housebook series is from the 80's and is the foundation of Btech, the 80's heart wrapped in heavy metal that beats to this day - Sigma
* To sum it up: FASAnomics: By Cthulhu, for Cthulhu - Moonsword
* Because Battletech is a conspiracy by Habsburg & Bourbon pretenders - MadCapellan
* The Hellbringer is cool, either way. It's not cool because it's bad, it's cool because it's bad with balls - Nightsky
* It was a glorious time for people who felt that we didn't have enough Marauder variants - HABeas2, re "Empires Aflame"

cypher226

• Corporal
« Reply #549 on: 06 August 2018, 06:02:26 »
I'll admit a change in TRO format would be jarring, but if it makes POD an option I'm all for it. The bigger bugbear for me in terms of formatting is when books from the same line are published in different heights, like some A4 and some bigger or smaller (paging Privateer Press...) A product line should look consistent!

Changes to stat blocks make sense as well. It would be much easier to enter x design into your software/hardcopy record sheet with a better stat block.

Love that artwork too. Any chance we could get some era maps in posters as well?  I'd love a post clan invasion map in A1 size  :D

Wrangler

• Colonel
  • Dang it!
    • Battletech Fanon Wiki
« Reply #550 on: 06 August 2018, 06:46:04 »
I prefer the landscape myself.  If i need to i will print damn thing myself if there isn't pod. I won't cry crocodile tears over it.  I've done it for Primitives and Republic stuff since their together and their more than on offs in the book.   

Too too bad POD hasn't evolved beyond simple format (one way or no way.)

Anyways, i hope we see some supporting pdfs in the Fall!  ;D
"Men, fetch the Urbanmechs.  We have an interrogation to attend to." - jklantern
"How do you defeat a Dragau? Shoot the damn thing. Lots." - Jellico 
"No, it's a "Most Awesome Blues Brothers scene Reenactment EVER" waiting to happen." VotW Destrier - Weirdo  
"It's 200 LY to Sian, we got a full load of shells, a half a platoon of Grenadiers, it's exploding outside, and we're wearing flak jackets." VoTW Destrier - Misterpants
-Editor on Battletech Fanon Wiki

abou

• Captain
« Reply #551 on: 06 August 2018, 07:09:24 »
Is that due to where the binding of leafs are in the book?

klarg1

• Captain
« Reply #552 on: 06 August 2018, 07:35:29 »

While the landscape format is somewhat distinct and charming, I don't think I'd miss it for long.

Long live portrait!

wolfspider

• Warrant Officer
« Reply #553 on: 06 August 2018, 07:55:10 »
This was posted on the BattleTech Facebook page. Proposed marketing material. It makes me happy.

I just have one thing to say "WELCOME BACK BATTLETECH! O how I missed you! "  :D :D :D
I may have a low amount of posts but I have a PHD in Battletech and mechs older then most people on this board!

wolfspider

• Warrant Officer
« Reply #554 on: 06 August 2018, 08:18:55 »
The poster is by Marco Mazzoni. It’s the original cover to the beginner box set. Chew on that.

I was annoyed we didn’t have any posters for the con, so did that up at the last minute. It was so late in the game though that they only hand a handful printed up. We really need to offer posters again.

-Ray
Well done Ray, Well done!
I may have a low amount of posts but I have a PHD in Battletech and mechs older then most people on this board!

mbear

• Stood Far Back When The Gravitas Was Handed Out
  • Major
    • Tower of Jade
« Reply #555 on: 06 August 2018, 08:55:04 »
Were Brent to come to me and say, "Bosch, I want you to redo the Technical Readout line," here's what it would look like. All would be 194 pages total, with 92 different 'Mech entries each; no other units would be included in the print volumes.

I think that printers use 16 page signatures because reasons. Your 194 pages work out to 12.125 signatures of 16 pages and that might not be good for printers. If you bump up to 13 signatures of 16 pages, you get 208 pages. That could give you 102 'Mechs per volume. Don't know if that is good or bad. (If they use 12 page signatures, your 194 pages work out to 16.16666666 signatures. 12*16 though gives you 192 pages which works out to be 91 'Mechs.)

One major change I'd make right off the bat is to change the stat blocks. Right now the game stats are basically a design spreadsheet, but players don't really need to see the mass of components, and some critical information is missing. I'd replace it with what players need to fill out record sheets: where each item is, and how many spaces it takes up.

I'm confused. Don't we already have this info in the current TROs? What is the critical information that's missing?

With that change alone, the need for record sheet volumes is dramatically reduced, freeing up company resources to focus on actually-profitable areas. The in-universe state block would slightly change to list how many tons of ammo is included with each weapon, and OmniMechs would have their Prime loadout listed here along with their available pod tonnage.

(Snip)

So the in-print and in-stores line would be just five books, 194 pages each, and far easier to keep in print. The new names and 'Mech-only contents would make it far simpler for non-fanatic customers (i.e., not us) to figure out what books they want and keep the focus of the game on the giant robots.

So these products are sort of an Starter TRO for an era. That makes sense to me.

PDF-Only Books (hopefully print on demand, too)

Technical Readout: <era> Supplemental(s): A series of books that include any 'Mechs cut from the old Technical Readouts. Varied lengths, one for each era.
Technical Readout: <other unit type>: A series of books, each collecting a different non-'Mech unit: fighters, WarShips, infantry and battle armor, etc. If any end up excessively long, they'll be split into two volumes in whatever fashion seems convenient.
Technical Readout: Experimental <unit type>: Omnibus editions of the XTRO series, one each for 'Mechs, fighters, and vehicles. Perhaps expanded with new material.

My only comment here is that for the Technical Readout: <other unit type>: you consider changing it to Technical Readout: <era> <other unit type>: to keep it consistent with your Core TROs.
Two questions:
1. Are you thinking of 194/208 page limits like you described earlier?
2. Would certain problematic units (WarShips, DropShips, some power armors) get re-statted to match current construction rules?

The main challenge would be where to put unit variants. Personally, I'd be okay leaving them in legacy materials, but perhaps the Supplementals could include the new stat blocks for the gazillions of different Marauders.

That could be interesting, but I don't know if I'd put down money for a TRO:Warhammers or TRO:Marauders. I'd have to think about it some more. Maybe this could be expanded to include player submissions? Sort of a design contest thing that might bring in new players? *shrug* I don't know.

One idea that strikes me is to change the Tech Readouts to portrait format, allowing home printers to more-easily assemble loose leaf binder collections.

This is an idea I really like. Plus they'd fit on a bookshelf with other materials.
Be the Loremaster:

Battletech transport rules take a very feline approach to moving troops in a combat zone: If they fits, they ships.

You bought the box set and are ready to expand your BT experience. Now what? (Thanks Sartis!)

mbear

• Stood Far Back When The Gravitas Was Handed Out
  • Major
    • Tower of Jade
« Reply #556 on: 06 August 2018, 08:57:25 »
Oh, someone will complain. You know it. ;D

How people react to change:

Be the Loremaster:

Battletech transport rules take a very feline approach to moving troops in a combat zone: If they fits, they ships.

You bought the box set and are ready to expand your BT experience. Now what? (Thanks Sartis!)

Cache

• Captain
    • Lords of the Battlefield
« Reply #557 on: 06 August 2018, 09:30:25 »
We really need to offer posters again.
I wholeheartedly agree with that statement. I'd love to see them for sale individually, too. Not just included in boxed sets like the old posters.

I am Belch II

• Lieutenant Colonel
  • It's a gator with a nuke, whats the problem.
« Reply #558 on: 06 August 2018, 09:32:26 »
I wholeheartedly agree with that statement. I'd love to see them for sale individually, too. Not just included in boxed sets like the old posters.

I would love a poster also. It was always one of my favorites during gencon. Got them hanging on the wall in my game room.
Walking the fine line between sarcasm and being a smart-ass

Bedwyr

• A Sticky Wicket
  • Global Moderator
  • Lieutenant Colonel
  • RIP. Again. And again. And again.
« Reply #559 on: 06 August 2018, 09:32:56 »
This is just me wishcasting, but I need to do up the living room and home office some. What I'd love? Triptych art but with Battletech:

Alas poor Photobucket. I knew him Horatio, a fellow of infinite jest, of most excellent fancy.

Colt Ward

• Lieutenant General
  • Gott Mit Uns
    • Merc Periphery Guide- Bakunin
« Reply #560 on: 06 August 2018, 09:48:57 »
 . . . I have been printing some of the recent covers with a bit of judicious cutting to be posters.  I have a really nice CM Mercs poster . . .
Colt Ward
Clan Invasion Backer #149, Leviathans #104

"We come in peace, please ignore the bloodstains."

"Greetings, Mechwarrior. You have been recruited by the Star League to defend the Frontier against Daoshen and the Capellan armada."

Adrian Gideon

• BattleTech Developer
  • Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #561 on: 06 August 2018, 10:50:12 »
This is just me wishcasting, but I need to do up the living room and home office some. What I'd love? Triptych art but with Battletech
…I actually set up 5 posters as a series: The Red Duke, The Black Widow, Grayson Carlyle, Jaime Wolf, and Hanse Davion. Maybe the last three should instead be titled “The Gray Death,” “Wolf Actual,” and “The Fox?” I dunno.
fb.com/battletechgame
@CGL_BattleTech

wolfspider

• Warrant Officer
« Reply #562 on: 06 August 2018, 10:52:39 »
…I actually set up 5 posters as a series: The Red Duke, The Black Widow, Grayson Carlyle, Jaime Wolf, and Hanse Davion. Maybe the last three should instead be titled “The Gray Death,” “Wolf Actual,” and “The Fox?” I dunno.

Can't wait to see them!  ;)

nckestrel

• Scientia Bellator
  • Freelance Writer
  • Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #563 on: 06 August 2018, 11:06:33 »
I'm confused. Don't we already have this info in the current TROs? What is the critical information that's missing?

Actuators, heat sink locations.
Alpha Strike Introduction resources
Left of Center blog - Nashira Campaign for A Game of Armored Combat, TP 3039 Vega Supplemental Record Sheets

Bedwyr

• A Sticky Wicket
  • Global Moderator
  • Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #564 on: 06 August 2018, 11:07:02 »

I am intrigued and would like to subscribe to your newsletter.
Alas poor Photobucket. I knew him Horatio, a fellow of infinite jest, of most excellent fancy.

sadlerbw

• Captain
« Reply #565 on: 06 August 2018, 11:07:36 »

I like the nicknames. I don't know if anyone ever called Grayson himself "The Gray Death", but it fits the theme so I'm good with it. I actually went looking for the last BT posters I picked up last night and couldn't find them anywhere, so I'm definitely on board with offering new ones!

As for portrait format TRO's: I don't really care as long as they are released as PDF's as well. Even the ones I own in physical form, I wouldn't care a bit if they were portrait size instead of landscape. It makes zero difference to me.

Bedwyr

• A Sticky Wicket
  • Global Moderator
  • Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #566 on: 06 August 2018, 11:08:16 »
Actuators, heat sink locations.

Aren't particular internal locations missing too or does that not matter (one part of the torso is equal to any other part of the torso kind of thing)?

Scotty

• Alpha Strike Guru by appointment to the FWLM
  • Catalyst Demo Team
  • Colonel
« Reply #567 on: 06 August 2018, 11:14:07 »

Maybe just can him "The Wolf"?

+1 for nicknames.  They bring a sense of mythos and an appeal to know more when compared to a 'real' name.
Catalyst Demo Agent #679

Kansas City players, or people who are just passing through the area, come join us at the Geekery just off Shawnee Mission Parkway for BattleTech!  Current days are Tuesdays in the afternoon and evening.  I can't make every single week, but odds are pretty good that somebody will be there.

Bedwyr

• A Sticky Wicket
  • Global Moderator
  • Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #568 on: 06 August 2018, 11:15:08 »
Maybe just can him "The Wolf"?

+1 for nicknames.  They bring a sense of mythos and an appeal to know more when compared to a 'real' name.

Good one.

nckestrel

• Scientia Bellator
  • Freelance Writer
  • Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #569 on: 06 August 2018, 11:18:12 »
Aren't particular internal locations missing too or does that not matter (one part of the torso is equal to any other part of the torso kind of thing)?

Doesn't matter.  All slots within a location are equally likely to be hit.   You need to specify exactly where they are when filling out the sheet, but it doesn't matter which.  You can fill them from the bottom up if you want.  As long as they are set and you don't move them around once the game starts....  And many players would prefer to have a "standard" so they can be assured the other player isn't moving them around during play ("oh no, I moved the LRM ammo from that slot on my record sheet.  What do you mean it wasn't there last turn?")
Alpha Strike Introduction resources
Left of Center blog - Nashira Campaign for A Game of Armored Combat, TP 3039 Vega Supplemental Record Sheets