Author Topic: Civilization VI  (Read 14389 times)

Atlas3060

• ugh this guy again
  • Global Moderator
  • Lieutenant Colonel
  • Just some rando
Re: Civilization VI
« Reply #30 on: 25 October 2016, 13:49:24 »
to your question? a lot things stayed the same and a lot of things are different.
I'm still trying to figure out how to get past just having a pantheon while other civs are now getting religion.
Meanwhile the casus belli system should have more options available earlier in the game, but that's my opinion.
I do love how we now know the AI does have ambitions and how to work them.
It's not about winning or losing, no it's all about how many chapters have you added to the rule books after your crazy antics.

nckestrel

• Scientia Bellator
  • Freelance Writer
  • Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #31 on: 25 October 2016, 13:57:58 »
I'm still trying to figure out how to get past just having a pantheon while other civs are now getting religion.
Meanwhile the casus belli system should have more options available earlier in the game, but that's my opinion.
I do love how we now know the AI does have ambitions and how to work them.

You need a great prophet.  Which you get by accumulating great prophet points.  I got mine from a holy site district, or maybe the Shrine that was in the holy site district?  Ok, now I'm not sure how I got the great prophet, but I definitely needed one :).
Alpha Strike Introduction resources
Left of Center blog - Nashira Campaign for A Game of Armored Combat, TP 3039 Vega Supplemental Record Sheets

Matti

• Major
  • In Rory we trust
« Reply #32 on: 25 October 2016, 14:24:15 »
I just read this over CivFanatics:
Units become obsolete the moment you research the tech needed to build their upgrade. So yes, if the new unit requires a new resource you haven't got yet, you can neither build the new nor the old unit. For example when you've just researched Gunpowder, the Swordsman becomes obsolete. That tech also reveals Niter which is required for building Musketmen. Best cross your fingers!
You know what they say, don't you? About how us MechWarriors are the modern knights errant, how warfare has become civilized now that we have to abide by conventions and rules of war. Don't believe it.

Atlas3060

• ugh this guy again
  • Global Moderator
  • Lieutenant Colonel
  • Just some rando
« Reply #33 on: 25 October 2016, 14:49:24 »
You need a great prophet.  Which you get by accumulating great prophet points.  I got mine from a holy site district, or maybe the Shrine that was in the holy site district?  Ok, now I'm not sure how I got the great prophet, but I definitely needed one :).
ugh, I need more farms than wasting time on a shrine of all things.

The one thing I do find annoying is the fact that your Great Persons have to go to that specific district to do their thing, then move on to another if they have more. Which was "fun" for Edgar Allen Poe as he went to my Capital, then had to transfer halfway across my empire towards another cultural district to do his thing again.

This game will shape how I play out my future Civ saves, no doubt. Not bad, but just adjustment grumps like normal.
It's not about winning or losing, no it's all about how many chapters have you added to the rule books after your crazy antics.

nckestrel

• Scientia Bellator
  • Freelance Writer
  • Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #34 on: 25 October 2016, 15:39:12 »
Apparently Marseilles is going to be my equivalent of Chesterton (with me being FS).  France keeps complaining about me occupying one of "their" cities, even thought I took it from them when it had one population.  Get over it already :).
Left of Center blog - Nashira Campaign for A Game of Armored Combat, TP 3039 Vega Supplemental Record Sheets

Atlas3060

• ugh this guy again
  • Global Moderator
  • Lieutenant Colonel
  • Just some rando
« Reply #35 on: 25 October 2016, 15:45:23 »
Apparently Marseilles is going to be my equivalent of Chesterton (with me being FS).  France keeps complaining about me occupying one of "their" cities, even thought I took it from them when it had one population.  Get over it already :).
Yeah Japan wasn't happy when my Spain forces took a town.
Yet Rome took Kyoto! Come on, be mad at them a little more please!

elf25s

• Major
« Reply #36 on: 25 October 2016, 16:11:25 »
Yeah Japan wasn't happy when my Spain forces took a town.
Yet Rome took Kyoto! Come on, be mad at them a little more please!
pc gamer has article on this how the a i treats you in the game ...imo it was some of the best improvements to the series
http://www.pcgamer.com/how-civilization-6-changes-war-for-the-better/
you sure cannot out run death...but sure as hell you can make that bastard work for it!

Atlas3060

• ugh this guy again
  • Global Moderator
  • Lieutenant Colonel
  • Just some rando
« Reply #37 on: 25 October 2016, 18:02:55 »
Yeah and eat dirt Germany, I am way closer to Amsterdam than you. You can't go griping about me swiping them if you're not even close to help.
Same for you Pericles!

elf25s

• Major
« Reply #38 on: 25 October 2016, 19:27:02 »
Yeah and eat dirt Germany, I am way closer to Amsterdam than you. You can't go griping about me swiping them if you're not even close to help.
Same for you Pericles!

easy its only a game...lol
damn greece just backstabed me!
you sure cannot out run death...but sure as hell you can make that bastard work for it!

Medron Pryde

• Captain
  • Life's a beach, enjoy the sand between your toes
    • P.R.I.
« Reply #39 on: 26 October 2016, 13:19:40 »
Ooh...those agendas sound like the AI "personality" and "strategy" traits in the original Master of Orion.

When you started up a game and realized the Klakons were xenophobic expansionists...well...you know it was going to be a difficult game because they were going to rock your world.

While a Psion pacifist technologist race was going to be my little tech farm as long as I could keep conning them into peace.

It finally gives the Civilization AIs something akin to the personality that the old MOO races had.

I still remember the time the Klakons pissed me off by taking out my homeworld (twice!) that I finally xenocided them without even waking up to realize I did it until AFTER I did it.  You KNOW a game has you when you go that hardcore and never thing twice about it.  Maybe with these agendas traits, the Civilization AIs will finally be able to match that...

:)
Col Medron Pryde - DropShip Irregulars - Phoenix Hawk LAM - A Proud Browncoat

RSM Regstav Pryde - Battle Corps Legion - BattleMaster BLR-K4
Angel Strike - They thought they'd killed us.  They were wrong.  We struck back...
Pryde Rock Industries - Your Source for awesome BattleTech programs
My Deviant Art Page
Jack of Harts - updated daily
Strike Force - a fanmade RPG supplement for Alpha Strike

Lazarus Jaguar

• Captain
  • Stop! Hammer Time!
« Reply #40 on: 29 November 2016, 13:36:55 »
Well, now that I have free time, I looked into this.  And judging from the player reviews I think I'm skipping.  Seems there's a little too much micromanagement and the UI isn't as up to it as in 5, and the AI personalities don't seem to matter, they all play the same (all hate you no matter what, and even your allies will declare war on you for no reason).  So, unless someone has something about it they'd like to share that you think I'd enjoy, I'm probably skipping this iteration.
You know, I love that every day in Japan is like a very peaceful game of RIFTs. - MadCapellan

around here, April Fools day is Serious! Business!

nckestrel

• Scientia Bellator
  • Freelance Writer
  • Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #41 on: 29 November 2016, 14:24:22 »
There's very little micro-management in Civ VI.  My guess is that you are thinking about comments on how important it is to plan districts.  You build one district for a city about every 50 turns, and it's one choice when you select it to build where you pick the hex you want to build it on.  The complicated part is that many get bonuses for being near something else (another district, the city center, mountains, rain forests, roads), and the same with Wonders getting bonuses for being near certain things (or just plain required to be near something or in certain terrain).  But that's not really micro-management.  You're not constantly fiddling with things, and honestly I mostly just play as it comes.  If I don't have plains near a pasture for the Great Zimbabwe Wonder, then I don't (can't) build it.  There's a few I really care about that I learn their requirements and make sure I set those up.  But it really does make the map matter more.  The terrain around a city is important.

The UI, overall it's fine IMO.  The one that bugs me is the lack of an alert status.  There are always barbarians sneaking around in my territory because I didn't take the time to scroll down to check the tundra again.  I'm learning to do it, but there should be a bigger alert when a known enemy is spotted.

The AI, yeah, I gave up on the AI.  There are ways to keep the AI happy, I just don't like being so one sided about it.  Keep my army up and smack them when they come for me.  They're not worth the effort.

I really enjoy the new features and the game overall.  I would still recommend it.  But I wouldn't disagree with some of its flaws.  (Victory Conditions other than Science seem pretty worthless with larger numbers of civilizations is another I would add.)

Matti

• Major
  • In Rory we trust
« Reply #42 on: 30 November 2016, 14:19:50 »
The AI, yeah, I gave up on the AI.  There are ways to keep the AI happy, I just don't like being so one sided about it.  Keep my army up and smack them when they come for me.  They're not worth the effort.
How does it compare with IV? in IV it is pretty clear to me if I do trade with everyone (Open Borders), then many civs are potential enemies. Think it like this: Free Worlds League does trade with FedSuns and Draconis Combine in time of Succession Wars. Neither of the 2 are happy about FWL selling weapons to their mortal enemy. I'm like that, and usually I have had enough muscle to defend my position. Otherwise, it could be better to pick a side and call help from ally when needed. Are V and VI something different in this regard?
You know what they say, don't you? About how us MechWarriors are the modern knights errant, how warfare has become civilized now that we have to abide by conventions and rules of war. Don't believe it.

elf25s

• Major
« Reply #43 on: 30 November 2016, 16:34:51 »
How does it compare with IV? in IV it is pretty clear to me if I do trade with everyone (Open Borders), then many civs are potential enemies. Think it like this: Free Worlds League does trade with FedSuns and Draconis Combine in time of Succession Wars. Neither of the 2 are happy about FWL selling weapons to their mortal enemy. I'm like that, and usually I have had enough muscle to defend my position. Otherwise, it could be better to pick a side and call help from ally when needed. Are V and VI something different in this regard?
i did post a link to how the Ai works in civ 6 in earlier post

btw great to see you back!

pheonixstorm

• Major
« Reply #44 on: 30 November 2016, 21:29:54 »
I'm happy with Civ 6. The issue with micro management, to me, will greatly depend on if you want to min/max each city. For those whining there is too much micro.. meh, I would have to read what they are comparing it to. Previous Civ games? I would think less micro not more. City planning does take a little more work since you can't just build wonder after wonder in the same city. Each improvement, district, and wonder has to have its own tiles which makes wonder capitals obsolete. One thing I won't miss. There do seem to be a few features from Civ 5 that are missing but not a huge deal for me.

The AI is as it always has been. They like you, they hate you, they declare war and never bother to attack you from half a world away... Though I have had several alliances on several games and the really annoying thing is when they ask you to join them in a war and then stick you with a warmongering penalty. Makes no sense... If you are still on the fence just wait for the price to drop and then pick it up, but I for one am glad I did not wait.

Lazarus Jaguar

• Captain
  • Stop! Hammer Time!
« Reply #45 on: 30 November 2016, 23:00:04 »
I'm still enjoying V, sonyeah, not seeing how I'll get enough extra enjoyment to makemit worth the $60
You know, I love that every day in Japan is like a very peaceful game of RIFTs. - MadCapellan

around here, April Fools day is Serious! Business!

Aokarasu

• Captain
  • Commander, Musei Yuuchi
« Reply #46 on: 02 December 2016, 13:46:16 »
I am enjoying playing Civ VI; I pre-ordered it, but have only tried the Aztecs a couple times. I really like what they've done with it, overall. The only thing I missed at first was the production queue from V, but, honestly, I've adapted to the lack of one in VI. The nice thing with production in a city in VI is that you can start one one item to produce, switch to something else before it's complete, and then switch back with no loss of progress.

If you are having trouble understanding some of the mechanics or looking for some tips and tricks, check out "FilthyRobot" on YouTube. He has a series of really well done videos that last from maybe 15 to 20 minutes. Very straightforward explanations; he also comes at his evaluation of certain civs and such from a multiplayer experience (he even admits as such). So, while some civs might not be really great in the multiplayer meta right now, they are probably fine versus the AI, overall.

Bergie

• Warrant Officer
« Reply #47 on: 02 December 2016, 21:36:28 »
I got about 4 games into Civ 6 before my joy of it started to drain (it'll come back, though) and overall I think it is a good game, and at least as good as Civ 5 was when it came out.  I have a few issues with the game for balance, and the AI has all the same issues as before (actually, even worse in the first couple games I played!), but in a lot of ways it is a step up.

Things I like: The religion and great person systems are a lot more interesting than "oh look I got a thing".  The espionage system is closer to Civ 4's than 5's, but a lot less tedious so an improvement there too. I like how every resource you collect (from culture to wheat) seems to have a place in the game beyond "oh yeah, you get +1 food.  woo".  City States are more interesting and MUCH more proactive than in 5, so love that.

Things I dislike: THE ART STYLE FOR MOST OF THE GAME (seriously, me no-like the cartoon-ish aesthetic).  The AI gets real dumb a lot of the time, with one city state making so many archers and warriors that by the modern age they covered literally half a continent around them (not joking one bit). I get the distinct feeling that the difficulty level from the mid-level difficulty setting is entirely the AI cheating and not anything else as I have seen civs raise armies of 5 or 6 units in the first 20 turns (the earliest war that has been declared on me), and I find that extremely annoying.  The endgame feels more like a slog than usual, without feeling like you have enough time to really accomplish anything.  The victory conditions, while they have added some mechanics behind them feel almost as hollow to me as in Beyond Earth, especially the cultural which just kind of has you winning out of nowhere.
Returns from the Dead to be a Taurian and Shark/Fox Fanboy

Matti

• Major
  • In Rory we trust
« Reply #48 on: 02 December 2016, 23:47:01 »
I like how every resource you collect (from culture to wheat) seems to have a place in the game beyond "oh yeah, you get +1 food.  woo".
At least in 4 food resources also give +1 health.

I get the distinct feeling that the difficulty level from the mid-level difficulty setting is entirely the AI cheating
Same as before then.

and not anything else as I have seen civs raise armies of 5 or 6 units in the first 20 turns (the earliest war that has been declared on me), and I find that extremely annoying.
Is that on what difficulty level? Prince or up?

elf25s

• Major
« Reply #49 on: 17 December 2016, 10:26:31 »

Nerroth

• Captain
« Reply #50 on: 25 September 2019, 12:33:31 »
Civilization VI is being ported to the PlayStation 4 and Xbox One on the 22nd of November. (It was released for the Nintendo Switch last year, in case anyone missed it.)

Also, the Rise and Fall and Gathering Storm expansions will be released as an expansion bundle for the Switch, PS4, and XB1 editions on the same date.

pheonixstorm

• Major
« Reply #51 on: 25 September 2019, 18:05:40 »
The bigger question is, has anyone played the new Red Death multiplayer option yet?

Also, I was right... I have lost over 2,000 to this game since I picked it up xp

Matti

• Major
  • In Rory we trust
« Reply #52 on: 26 September 2019, 09:44:14 »
Also, I was right... I have lost over 2,000 to this game since I picked it up xp
Over 2,000 what? Hours? $$? Else?

nckestrel

• Scientia Bellator
  • Freelance Writer
  • Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #53 on: 26 September 2019, 10:59:00 »

People.  He's playing the Aztecs.

ANS Kamas P81

• Colonel
  • Reimu sees what you have done.
« Reply #54 on: 26 September 2019, 12:30:00 »
People.  He's playing the Aztecs.
So it's Tuesday, then.
Der Hölle Rache kocht in meinem Herzen,
Tod und Verzweiflung flammet um mich her!
Fühlt nicht durch dich Jadefalke Todesschmerzen,
So bist du meine Tochter nimmermehr!

pheonixstorm

• Major
« Reply #55 on: 26 September 2019, 19:35:38 »

Hours?? Brain cells? Its all talking heads these days and a nuclear Gandhi.

Register