Author Topic: The Anime M@sterthread - Platinum is a Full Metal Panic Edition  (Read 163272 times)

Matti

• Major
  • In Rory we trust
Re: The Anime M@sterthread - Platinum is a Full Metal Panic Edition
« Reply #840 on: 18 January 2019, 13:03:17 »
I know it doesn't fall into some people's "anime" designation, but this type of Western-made anime-inspired series I think is going to come more and more
In that case here's another one in case somebody here hasn't seen it yet :thumbsup:
You know what they say, don't you? About how us MechWarriors are the modern knights errant, how warfare has become civilized now that we have to abide by conventions and rules of war. Don't believe it.

kato

• Captain
« Reply #841 on: 18 January 2019, 13:15:40 »
I know it doesn't fall into some people's "anime" designation
Feels about as gritting to me as designating Korean "webtoons" as manga. Which yes, people do.

MadCapellan

• Furibunda Scriptorem
  • Freelance Writer
  • Lieutenant Colonel
  • In the name of Xin Sheng, I will punish you!
    • Check out the anime I've seen & reviewed!
« Reply #842 on: 18 January 2019, 15:05:24 »
Just becase it isn't anime doesn't mean I won't watch it. I've been moderately intrigued about gen:LOCK since it got announced purely from a real robot sci-fi perspective. If the story is good enough to overcome my aversion to Roosterteeth's art style, I'll be all for it!

Daemion

• Major
  • The Future of BattleTech
    • Never Tales and Other Daydreams
« Reply #843 on: 19 January 2019, 00:14:16 »
I get you on the art style. It looks a lot like what they've been using in what little I've seen of the Resistance, so I can't help but wonder about the inspiration.

However, I know that after giving RWBY a chance, the story did make up for the art.  So, here's hoping.
It's your world. You can do anything you want in it. - Bob Ross

Every thought and device conceived by Satan and man must be explored and found wanting. - Donald Grey Barnhouse on the purpose of history and time.

I helped make a game! ^_^  - Forge Of War: Tactics

ANS Kamas P81

• Colonel
« Reply #844 on: 19 January 2019, 07:07:45 »
Huh.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Nqu4D8P_oLQ

Do not click that if you have a Thing about spiders.  (weapons-grade schmuck bait)
Der Hölle Rache kocht in meinem Herzen,
Tod und Verzweiflung flammet um mich her!
Fühlt nicht durch dich Jadefalke Todesschmerzen,
So bist du meine Tochter nimmermehr!

kato

• Captain
« Reply #845 on: 19 January 2019, 08:21:29 »
One has to really wonder how far they'd take the anime, because there's enough out there for three to four cours minimum - at breakneck speed. And whether they'll base it on the LN or the WN, because those diverge.

Maingunnery

• Lieutenant Colonel
  • Pirates and C3 masters are on the hitlist
« Reply #846 on: 19 January 2019, 08:44:22 »
One has to really wonder how far they'd take the anime, because there's enough out there for three to four cours minimum - at breakneck speed. And whether they'll base it on the LN or the WN, because those diverge.
The trailer seems to suggest more human interaction, so I imagine a breakneck speed leveling up, and then going its own way and interacting with more humans (leaving the caves).
Herb: "Well, now I guess we'll HAVE to print it. Sounds almost like the apocalypse I've been working for...."

The Society:Fan XTRO & Field Manual
Nebula California: HyperTube Xtreme
Nebula Confederation Ships

kato

• Captain
« Reply #847 on: 19 January 2019, 09:42:58 »
That's not that far, you can get that with just Volume 4 of the LN i think, possibly interjecting the S chapters here and there (that the manga skips entirely). Except for one of the girls shown - she's actually on the cover of Volume 5.

pheonixstorm

• Major
« Reply #848 on: 19 January 2019, 14:48:09 »
High Score Girl is finally up on Netflix. It's a pretty decent anime but the ending leaves a lot to be desired unless there is going to be another season. It's too open with no real resolution of the plot. Really though whoever wrote it (LN or manga?) really must miss the old days of gaming lol

Dies Irae

• Warrant Officer
« Reply #849 on: 20 January 2019, 11:07:13 »
I'm not particularly sure where Egao no Daika (The Price of Smiles) is going, but given the near whiplash pace they've oscillated between cutesy slice-of-life and in-your-face war is hell...

Well... colour me fascinated.

Matti

• Major
  • In Rory we trust
« Reply #850 on: 21 January 2019, 16:14:23 »
Couple good ones more
You know what they say, don't you? About how us MechWarriors are the modern knights errant, how warfare has become civilized now that we have to abide by conventions and rules of war. Don't believe it.

iamfanboy

• Captain
« Reply #851 on: 22 January 2019, 22:21:04 »
It just doesn't look like there's anything GOOD this season, other than Magic Girl Asuka.

Reincarnated as a Slime's still going on, but man... I never thought I would HATE looking at a girl's asscrack but I am really looking forward to the part where they give Milim pants. They did not focus on cheesecake shots for Milim in the manga, at all, but this week's episode it seems like every other shot was focused on her crotch or ass.

I still like it a lot, mostly because as my wife put it "A guy gets put in another world and goes all Harvest Moon." He just wants to live peacefully.

MoneyLovinOgre4Hire

• Lieutenant General
  • It's just my goth phase
« Reply #852 on: 22 January 2019, 22:25:13 »
That's the thing that really differentiates it from most of the "reincarnated in another world" series: it's not an immature wish-fulfillment about being a ludicrously OP character who can destroy everything in their path, ain't it cool?  Remaru's a nice person and just tries to be friends with everyone.

Though I'd really like to see Gabiru and his sycophants turned into luggage.
Warning: this post may contain sarcasm.

"I think I've just had another near-Rincewind experience," Death, The Color of Magic

"When in doubt, C4." Jamie Hyneman

iamfanboy

• Captain
« Reply #853 on: 22 January 2019, 22:43:45 »
That's the thing that really differentiates it from most of the "reincarnated in another world" series: it's not an immature wish-fulfillment about being a ludicrously OP character who can destroy everything in their path, ain't it cool?  Remaru's a nice person and just tries to be friends with everyone.

I thought they were really annoying in the manga and LN, but for some reason their over-the-topness amuses me more than it annoys me in the anime. "Gabiru-sama!" *sobs*

Though it's not a patch on the lizardmen as depicted in Overlord, who had distinct traits that played off their lizardliness. Now THAT made me want to roll up a D&D lizardman.

MadCapellan

• Furibunda Scriptorem
  • Freelance Writer
  • Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #854 on: 23 January 2019, 03:21:09 »
It just doesn't look like there's anything GOOD this season, other than Magic Girl Asuka.

Egao no Daika & Endro!. It's not much, but it's entertaining! Endro's especially funny & cute in a sort of medieval fantasy Milky Holmes sort of way!

Way to kill the show, Gabiru's the best character!  ;D

kato

• Captain
« Reply #855 on: 23 January 2019, 12:14:12 »
I'm basically watching - beyond just looking at it and skipping forward:

Kaguya-sama wa Kokurasetai : Couple dancing around the question of who gives in and confesses to the other. School setting. A bit sedate and the narrator is a bit annoying, but it does have some bite here and there.
Girly Air Force : Yeah, it's the umpteenth adaption of anthropomorphic planes. If you get beyond that you'll grow to like their cameo jokes that refer to pretty much every remotely related anime from ten to fifteen years ago. Because this is actually comedy, not harem action.
Kemurikusa : Tatsuki, tanoshii.
Yakusoku no Neverland : Borderline drop, don't really do horror. Thinking about replacing that, though i haven't quite found the right thing yet. Possibly with Bermuda Triangle, the new Cardfight!! spinoff.

Plus Domestic na Kanojo and Go-Toubun no Hanayome of course.

MadCapellan

• Furibunda Scriptorem
  • Freelance Writer
  • Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #856 on: 23 January 2019, 12:32:52 »
Kaguya-sama wa Kokurasetai

Finally, a show that makes fun of ridiculous will they/won't they resolutionless manga romance!  :D i've been digging it too....

Girly Air Force :

I'm very close to giving it the drop - the pace is slow, the characters are only moderately engaging & I'm not sure the plot will amount to anything. Who decided the F-4 Phantom of all things was a suitable platform for alien vectored-thrust supertech?!

Go-Toubun no Hanayome of course.

Moderately funny - I like the ridiculous ahoge everyone's got. You just don't see designs like that anymore! :D

Maingunnery

• Lieutenant Colonel
  • Pirates and C3 masters are on the hitlist
« Reply #857 on: 23 January 2019, 14:16:07 »
Reincarnated as a Slime's still going on, but man... I never thought I would HATE looking at a girl's asscrack but I am really looking forward to the part where they give Milim pants.
But who would dare to tell her to wear pants?
Herb: "Well, now I guess we'll HAVE to print it. Sounds almost like the apocalypse I've been working for...."

The Society:Fan XTRO & Field Manual
Nebula California: HyperTube Xtreme
Nebula Confederation Ships

Wrangler

• Colonel
  • Dang it!
    • Battletech Fanon Wiki
« Reply #858 on: 23 January 2019, 14:37:08 »
I'm very close to giving it the drop - the pace is slow, the characters are only moderately engaging & I'm not sure the plot will amount to anything. Who decided the F-4 Phantom of all things was a suitable platform for alien vectored-thrust supertech?!

I remember buy old (non-translated) mangas when i was in Japan. I noticed that there was fondness i guess for the F-4 Phantom Ii fighter jet.  Maybe because it was in Japan's airforce bit before being replaced.  There are in fact, 2 squadrons of (Japanese produced) F-4EJ Kai Phantoms still flying waiting for replacement by F-35 Lightning II next year.
"Men, fetch the Urbanmechs.  We have an interrogation to attend to." - jklantern
"How do you defeat a Dragau? Shoot the damn thing. Lots." - Jellico 
"No, it's a "Most Awesome Blues Brothers scene Reenactment EVER" waiting to happen." VotW Destrier - Weirdo  
"It's 200 LY to Sian, we got a full load of shells, a half a platoon of Grenadiers, it's exploding outside, and we're wearing flak jackets." VoTW Destrier - Misterpants
-Editor on Battletech Fanon Wiki

MadCapellan

• Furibunda Scriptorem
  • Freelance Writer
  • Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #859 on: 23 January 2019, 14:42:09 »
Yeah, but we're talking about the lead sled here! The idea that one would be used to test a kind of high-maneuver gear is straining my credulity, even for a "date your favorite warplane" kinda fantasy setting!

Wrangler

• Colonel
  • Dang it!
    • Battletech Fanon Wiki
« Reply #861 on: 23 January 2019, 15:56:47 »
The secret is to make her WANT to wear pants...
It would require her discovering the concept of Modesty.
"Men, fetch the Urbanmechs.  We have an interrogation to attend to." - jklantern
"No, it's a "Most Awesome Blues Brothers scene Reenactment EVER" waiting to happen." VotW Destrier - Weirdo  
"It's 200 LY to Sian, we got a full load of shells, a half a platoon of Grenadiers, it's exploding outside, and we're wearing flak jackets." VoTW Destrier - Misterpants

MoneyLovinOgre4Hire

• Lieutenant General
  • It's just my goth phase
« Reply #862 on: 23 January 2019, 18:43:55 »
Or some really awesome pants.
Warning: this post may contain sarcasm.

"I think I've just had another near-Rincewind experience," Death, The Color of Magic

"When in doubt, C4." Jamie Hyneman

pheonixstorm

• Major
« Reply #863 on: 23 January 2019, 19:15:38 »
Made of honey??

MadCapellan

• Furibunda Scriptorem
  • Freelance Writer
  • Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #864 on: 23 January 2019, 20:16:29 »
Speaking of sweet things, my copy of Heisei Doujin Monogatari came in the mail yesterday - https://www.heisei-doujin.love/

For those unaware, the Heisei Era is likely to end this year, with Emperor Akihito expected to abdicate in April. As sort of a capstone to the era, 170 manga artists, visual novel illustrators, animators & major doujin artists came together to produce this 290 page artbook celebration of otaku culture across the years of 1989 to 2018! Sold at Comiket, this non-explicit book is still available from a number of second hand distributors & is worth EVERY. SINGLE. YEN. A who's who of otaku culture from Slayer's Rui Araizumi to Kizuna Ai's official illustrator En Morikura draw art of not just their characters but a cavalcade of anime, manga & game characters that had a profound impact on them over the past three decades! From the insanely popular to the crazy obscure, so many characters got a shout out & message of appreciation from the creators! If I ever have the opportunity to meet any of these artists in person, THIS is the book I'm taking to have them sign! I highly recommend it, it's truly a once in an era treasure!

Matti

• Major
  • In Rory we trust
« Reply #865 on: 23 January 2019, 23:28:46 »
That's the thing that really differentiates it from most of the "reincarnated in another world" series: it's not an immature wish-fulfillment about being a ludicrously OP character who can destroy everything in their path, ain't it cool?
Writers these days. They don't seem to understand that male lead needs to be useless angsting wimp with no interest for intimate relationship and never get a kiss.

Wrangler

• Colonel
  • Dang it!
    • Battletech Fanon Wiki
« Reply #866 on: 24 January 2019, 07:15:56 »
Writers these days. They don't seem to understand that male lead needs to be useless angsting wimp with no interest for intimate relationship and never get a kiss.
That's funny, a manga randomly read the other day was complete OPPOSITE of that.  This one has oldman, who STAYS oldman in otherworld since god accidently took him for mistaken instead of his grandson.  Its slightly more adventure comedy if anything else.

That be amusing to see made into a film. KonoSuba being made into one, so why not this?

MadCapellan

• Furibunda Scriptorem
  • Freelance Writer
  • Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #867 on: 24 January 2019, 11:45:13 »

Pretty sure that trend's been dead since the first season of SAO, honestly. Supermen protagonists are the dominant form of LN protagonist this decade.....

Matti

• Major
  • In Rory we trust
« Reply #868 on: 24 January 2019, 11:58:21 »
Pretty sure that trend's been dead since the first season of SAO, honestly. Supermen protagonists are the dominant form of LN protagonist this decade.....
And I call it an improvement

Ghostbear_Gurdel

• Lieutenant
  • Live by the Sword...
« Reply #869 on: 24 January 2019, 12:43:02 »
Magical Girl Asuka is of course one of my favorite Anime this season, but I've also really been enjoying "The Rising of a Shield Hero". The way character and reputation (and possibly even Social Class) is being directed and manipulated is making for interesting viewing.
"The real question is, just how badly do you want to pound your opponent?  You can do things to your opponent with an ASF that are illegal in 39 states and 14 countries, and that's without even trying hard." - Paladin1
Member No. 3 of the JM6 haters club