Author Topic: Clan tech on a retrotech unit, thought and opinons.  (Read 107 times)

Izzy193

• Warrant Officer
Clan tech on a retrotech unit, thought and opinons.
« on: 07 March 2024, 07:03:24 »
Disclaimer: this OP is just my thoughts and opinions on the whole scenario. Thus are not reflective of anyone else's, and should be taken with a grain of salt.

Now from what I can tell as clan systems are becoming more and more available, there are on the MUL still some primitive/retrotech units left still available as of Dark Age and Ilclan eras. I had the thought of 'why not combine clan tech components mix them with a Inner sphere retrotech base?' because as of current construction rules it is possible to do a mixed tech IS base unit using retrotech post-3070s IIRC. Most likely scenario for such a thing is as an upgrade to an existing retrotech unit. Weather it uses domestically made or imported clan technology is up in the air.

Pros:
Enhanced lethality
Lighter Weapons mean more Armor, heatsinking capacity or speed.

Neutral points:
Logistics would depend upon if the faction or company can make domestically made clan tech otherwise the clan spec components for said upgrades would have to be procured through other means such as clan sea fox or salvage.

Cons:
higher cost per unit on components.
Higher upkeep costs per unit due to using clan spec components.
technical issues may arise with mixing Primitive/Retrotech with clan spec.

Now this is canonically impossible to do without new Dallas memory core at first(since most primitive units were developed before clan tech). but as of post 3132 onwards? I can see it being plausible but unlikely to happen. I have only kept my opinions and thoughts on the matter related to tech so far as there is no in universe reason why you couldn't do it outside of cost considerations.

glitterboy2098

• Lieutenant Colonel
    • The Temple Grounds - My Roleplaying and History website
Re: Clan tech on a retrotech unit, thought and opinons.
« Reply #1 on: 09 March 2024, 16:22:31 »
i don't think that there is any rules preventing you from fitting clan weapons and non-structural components to a primitive technology unit. though not structural systems, there are rules about that. and intergration issues should only be an issue if the primitive unit was built in the age of war or before 3050. anything built more recently should make use of standardized connectors and software that should be just as adaptable as a regular IS mech.
« Last Edit: 09 March 2024, 16:24:53 by glitterboy2098 »

Register