Author Topic: Got a tech balancing question here: reduced weight for increased bulk & heat?  (Read 189 times)

Izzy193

• Warrant Officer
I'm still working on my WiP tech base and was wondering with the weapons, heatsinks and equipment, would decreasing the weight for more bulk and in the case of weapons heat generation be a viable thing to do? I'll give an prototypical example below using the medium laser as a basis for the concept.

(Guild) Medium Laser:
Damage: 5
Heat: 5
Weight: 0.5 tons
Crits: 2
Range(in hexes): 0/3/6/9

As you can see, the idea is simple enough: Reduce the weight but at the cost of increasing heat and bulk in terms of where weapons are concerned. 50% weight reduction for Energy and Ballistics and a 75% weight reduction for Missile systems. Ranges and damage are the same as Inner Sphere weapons.

AlphaMirage

• Major
They are certainly valid options as those are the main methods used in the game to balance (FF, ES, DHS, being the best examples). It would make things fairly interesting in your meta the same way only allowing SHS has done for my AU.

Hazard Pay

• Warrant Officer
I had the idea for a "Light(weight) Heat Sink" some time back. Trades fragility and volume for lower weight.

Weight: 0.5 Tons

Crits: 2

Sinks One/1 Heat per turn

Very fragile, will be destroyed from pretty much any hit to it no matter the damage.

Daryk

• Lieutenant General
  • The Double Deuce II/II-σ
A half-ton Medium Laser illustrates why you need to be careful.  Like Hazard Pay, I did a thread on other grades of heat sink: https://bg.battletech.com/forums/index.php/topic,62762.0.html

Charistoph

• Major
Or just get a Clan ER Small Laser...
Are you a Wolf, a Sheep, or a Hound?
Quote from: Megavolt
They called me crazy…they called me insane…THEY CALLED ME LOONEY!! and boy, were they right.

Charistoph's Painted Products of Mechanical Mayhem

Izzy193

• Warrant Officer
Or just get a Clan ER Small Laser...

tbh I see 'just give them clantech' as cutting corners too much. these guys I am working on have no connection to the clans or the Inner Sphere like at all(they are so far removed they'd might as well be their own timeline).

VanVelding

• Warrant Officer