Author Topic: Tattoos for a character  (Read 9891 times)

bblaney

• Lieutenant
Tattoos for a character
« on: 19 November 2019, 17:02:28 »
So I am drawing a blank and I'd like some ideas for a tattoo for a newly graduated mechwarrior.

He is if spanish ancestry and from a planet near the RotS, but not a member of the RotS.

It is an alternate AU where the Star Guards weren't eaten by the Clans.

I know the Guards insignia is an idea, as is the Star League insignia, but would like some other ideas.

He is a rich kid, though it hasn't gone to his head, as he is pretty serious about being a mechwarrior.
Quote from: Nanaki
Realism is not going to cut it, Battletech is not a realistic universe by any stretch of the imagination, so please stop using it in an argument.

Quote from: HABeas2
That's debatable, but let's face it; some folks gave them a pass because they were big and claimed to be Scottish.

Colt Ward

• Lieutenant General
  • Gott Mit Uns
    • Merc Periphery Guide- Bakunin
Re: Tattoos for a character
« Reply #1 on: 19 November 2019, 17:57:43 »
So . . . usual post training tattoos?

Your training command's unit logo (cause you/they were so bad arse during training!)- this is what shows up on the unit 'been there, done that' shirts.

Found this for a Ft Lost in the Woods platoon (Ft Leonard Wood), each platoon is encouraged to do their own art to foster certain attitudes.

Bad arse 'patriotic' tattoos . . . so determine where the loyalties lie
Colt Ward
Clan Invasion Backer #149, Leviathans #104

"We come in peace, please ignore the bloodstains."

"Greetings, Mechwarrior. You have been recruited by the Star League to defend the Frontier against Daoshen and the Capellan armada."

bblaney

• Lieutenant
« Reply #2 on: 19 November 2019, 19:55:35 »
I am so thankful I never went down that road for a tattoo when I served.
Realism is not going to cut it, Battletech is not a realistic universe by any stretch of the imagination, so please stop using it in an argument.

That's debatable, but let's face it; some folks gave them a pass because they were big and claimed to be Scottish.

Colt Ward

• Lieutenant General
  • Gott Mit Uns
« Reply #3 on: 19 November 2019, 22:53:42 »
But you know a lot of guys who did get 'sick' tattoos . . . I mean- skulls, reapers, daggers/guns, and predators are common themes for the 'I just got out of Basic and have more money than sense!'  Its on the checklist!  Tattoo shop, 'massage' parlor . . .
Colt Ward

"Greetings, Mechwarrior. You have been recruited by the Star League to defend the Frontier against Daoshen and the Capellan armada."

Mohammed As`Zaman Bey

• Captain
« Reply #4 on: 20 November 2019, 00:54:58 »
But you know a lot of guys who did get 'sick' tattoos . . . I mean- skulls, reapers, daggers/guns, and predators are common themes for the 'I just got out of Basic and have more money than sense!'  Its on the checklist!  Tattoo shop, 'massage' parlor . . .
  Usually its "Get drunk, get tattooed...wake up with a chicken..."

killgore444

• Recruit
« Reply #5 on: 20 November 2019, 02:44:51 »
So I am drawing a blank and I'd like some ideas for a tattoo for a newly graduated mechwarrior.

He is if spanish ancestry and from a planet near the RotS, but not a member of the RotS.

It is an alternate AU where the Star Guards weren't eaten by the Clans.

I know the Guards insignia is an idea, as is the Star League insignia, but would like some other ideas.

He is a rich kid, though it hasn't gone to his head, as he is pretty serious about being a mechwarrior.
I agree with Colt Ward on a patriotic tattoo. But it also might depend on the characters religion, how well he gets along with his family [how much his he willing/wanting to annoy his parents], ect...
From your description, the first thing I thought of was the tattoos the Boondock Saints had, with a Cameron Star added in somewhere.

Nav_Alpha

• Major
« Reply #6 on: 20 November 2019, 03:20:07 »
  Usually its "Get drunk, get tattooed...wake up with a chicken..."

Well, this is pretty much my experience.
At least I didn’t get a “meat tag” done - your dog tag details inked into your side/toros in case you loose all your limbs.

If he’s of Spanish origin - maybe something reflecting that culture and his history? Catholic crosses, rosaries or knights slaying dragons.

"Hold your position, conserve ammo... and wait for the Dragoons to go Feral"
- last words of unknown merc, Harlech, 3067

nerd

• Captain
  • Nunc Partus-Ready Now
    • Traveller Adventures
« Reply #7 on: 20 November 2019, 17:30:51 »
M. T. Thompson
Don of the Starslayer Mafia
Member of the AFFS High Command

bblaney

• Lieutenant
« Reply #8 on: 20 November 2019, 20:59:46 »
Great ideas. Thx guys and gals.

abou

• Captain
« Reply #9 on: 20 November 2019, 23:11:51 »
Whatever you do, avoid the awful tattoos in the AToW books. Those things did NOT age well. I personally don't even have a tattoo and I roll my eyes at those things.

I think possibly going with a vintage American Traditional tattoo from the 50s and 60s could work. You can get lost in a YouTube hole on a channel called Inked.

MoneyLovinOgre4Hire

• Lieutenant General
  • It's just my goth phase
« Reply #10 on: 21 November 2019, 02:55:29 »
Whatever you do, avoid the awful tattoos in the AToW books. Those things did NOT age well. I personally don't even have a tattoo and I roll my eyes at those things.

Really?  I thought everyone wanted to have their character look like an escapee from a Warren Ellis comic book. ::)
Warning: this post may contain sarcasm.

"I think I've just had another near-Rincewind experience," Death, The Color of Magic

"When in doubt, C4." Jamie Hyneman

Colt Ward

• Lieutenant General
  • Gott Mit Uns
« Reply #11 on: 21 November 2019, 10:05:38 »
Not sure it came from that book, but I liked some of the Clan tattoos they showed in some book (MGtC?) . . . and that they were a sort of sign of the freebirth subculture.
Colt Ward

abou

• Captain
« Reply #12 on: 21 November 2019, 13:36:30 »
Really?  I thought everyone wanted to have their character look like an escapee from a Warren Ellis comic book. ::)
Hey man, no need to roll your eyes. I'm just saying what I think. Everyone is chomping at the bit to update BattleTech's visual aesthetic, but sometimes what is modern doesn't age well after only five to seven years. And those tattoos are about as spot-on as it gets.

At least bblaney wasn't asking about tramp stamps... although, that would be hilarious.

Colt Ward

• Lieutenant General
  • Gott Mit Uns
« Reply #13 on: 21 November 2019, 13:56:44 »
At least bblaney wasn't asking about tramp stamps... although, that would be hilarious.

Those are for the mechbunnies on Solaris VII . . . steer clear of the gal who has 'Atlas Landing Zone' wreathed in flames.
Colt Ward

MoneyLovinOgre4Hire

• Lieutenant General
« Reply #14 on: 21 November 2019, 17:41:13 »
Hey man, no need to roll your eyes. I'm just saying what I think. Everyone is chomping at the bit to update BattleTech's visual aesthetic, but sometimes what is modern doesn't age well after only five to seven years. And those tattoos are about as spot-on as it gets.

I was rolling my eyes at the way too many characters in A Time of War looked like they were from Warren Ellis comic books.

"I think I've just had another near-Rincewind experience," Death, The Color of Magic

abou

• Captain
« Reply #15 on: 21 November 2019, 21:17:13 »
Ah, your sentence felt a bit ambiguous.

MoneyLovinOgre4Hire

• Lieutenant General
« Reply #16 on: 21 November 2019, 22:17:33 »
Sorry about that.

carlisimo

• Warrant Officer
« Reply #17 on: 22 November 2019, 05:49:31 »
Spanish tattoos could include castles/towers, windmills, bulls/bullfighters, lynxes, guitars, fans (as in flamenco dancing), olives, cubist suns (look up "Picasso sun moon" and "Spain tourism logo"), wine, stylized medieval weapons (look up "Moros y Cristianos"), or the Spanish card suits (look up "Baraja española"; they're pretty neat imo).

DOC_Agren

• Major
« Reply #18 on: 24 November 2019, 00:21:19 »
well there always something like so

Now it Mexican style
"For the Angel of Death spread his wings on the blast, And breathed in the face of the foe as he passed:And the eyes of the sleepers waxed deadly and chill, And their hearts but once heaved, and for ever grew still!"

Daryk

• Lieutenant General
  • The Double Deuce II/II-σ
« Reply #19 on: 24 November 2019, 07:37:17 »
Hmmm... When I read this thread, my anti-virus is blocking some kind of malicious domain request from "tattoo-journal.com"...  It didn't have that problem yesterday...  ???

truetanker

• Lieutenant Colonel
  • Clan Hells Horses 666th Mech. Assualt Cluster
« Reply #20 on: 04 December 2019, 23:58:02 »
Could the character's family come from one of the Southwest Trinity Worlds that the 17th Recon hailed from?

Maybe a Brahma bull skull and the family crest in Spanish?

TT
« Last Edit: 04 December 2019, 23:59:33 by truetanker »
Khan, Clan Iron Dolphin
Azeroth Pocketverse
That is, if true tanker doesn't beat me to it. He makes truly evil units.Col.Hengist on 31 May 2013
TT, we know you are the master of nasty  O0 ~ Fletch on 22 June 2013
If I'm attacking you, conventional wisom says to bring 3x your force.  I want extra insurance, so I'll bring 4 for every 1 of what you have :D ~ Tai Dai Cultist on 21 April 2016
Me: Would you rather fight my Epithymía Thanátou from the Whispers of Blake?
Nav_Alpha: That THING... that is horrid
~ Nav_Alpha on 10 October 2016

Colt Ward

• Lieutenant General
  • Gott Mit Uns
« Reply #21 on: 05 December 2019, 02:46:19 »
In Fortress Republic, Lars Magnusson from the GBD sports a tattoo of his Clan's logo on his left(?) temple that has a pair of the arms extending out on to his face.  Its remarked on as part of his description but not considered something outlandish for a Clanner, at least from Julian's perspective.
Colt Ward

HyperionCormyr

• Corporal
« Reply #22 on: 20 December 2019, 18:24:51 »
Try looking up "Tattoo Meanings" on Google (Or your search engine of choice) and see what you come up with. Maybe your guy got an angel on his back because his mother is devoutly religious and kept praying for "An angel to watch his back" or something. Tats should be much more than just "a cool way to break up blank skin". If your guy is inked, there might be a reason WHY.

https://stylesatlife.com/articles/tattoo-designs-and-meanings/

ANS Kamas P81

• Colonel
« Reply #23 on: 21 December 2019, 18:22:02 »
Well, sometimes "cause it's cute" is an actual reason, but I've always figured "if I'm going to sit still and get the equivalent of a tooth pulled voluntarily I'm damn well going to make it mean someting."  Which reminds me, I probably should consider those for characters.
Der Hölle Rache kocht in meinem Herzen,
Tod und Verzweiflung flammet um mich her!
Fühlt nicht durch dich Jadefalke Todesschmerzen,
So bist du meine Tochter nimmermehr!

bblaney

• Lieutenant
« Reply #24 on: 27 February 2020, 07:41:24 »
Could the character's family come from one of the Southwest Trinity Worlds that the 17th Recon hailed from?

Maybe a Brahma bull skull and the family crest in Spanish?

TT

I like that idea and will look into it

Thanks!!!

truetanker

• Lieutenant Colonel
  • Clan Hells Horses 666th Mech. Assualt Cluster
« Reply #25 on: 27 February 2020, 20:52:37 »
Np and your welcome.

TT
Khan, Clan Iron Dolphin
Azeroth Pocketverse
That is, if true tanker doesn't beat me to it. He makes truly evil units.Col.Hengist on 31 May 2013
TT, we know you are the master of nasty  O0 ~ Fletch on 22 June 2013
If I'm attacking you, conventional wisom says to bring 3x your force.  I want extra insurance, so I'll bring 4 for every 1 of what you have :D ~ Tai Dai Cultist on 21 April 2016
Me: Would you rather fight my Epithymía Thanátou from the Whispers of Blake?
Nav_Alpha: That THING... that is horrid
~ Nav_Alpha on 10 October 2016

SCC

• Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #26 on: 10 March 2020, 01:59:48 »

What pages are these tattoos on, I can't seem to find any really outdated ones in my copy.

bblaney

• Lieutenant
« Reply #27 on: 12 March 2020, 06:32:47 »
So my character is being assigned a Rakshasha, and I am going with the following design.

He may also get the unit insignia also, though the Rakshasha is first

grimlock1

• Captain
« Reply #28 on: 12 March 2020, 08:50:11 »
Also remember that this is the 32nd century.

Luminescent ink.

Ink that changes depending on the light, like a mother-of-pearl effect.

Animated ink.

Ink that changes in response to any number of biological indicators, temperature, heart rate, adrenaline.

Ink that responds to bluetooth signals from a smart watch.  Maybe it disappears so he can avoid getting a lecture from grandma.

As to content:  Names, dates, locations of accomplishments, or perhaps more meaningful, of failures.

Bits of sage advice from mentors.   

If the rank insignia of the service build upon each preceding rank, similar to the Army, USMC, and Air Force enlisted insignia, then get the rank insignia as a tat.  And as the character progresses, add stripes/chevrons/etc to match.  That could make for some drama if they ever get demoted, drummed out,  or maybe just get the next chevron in anticipation of a promotion, only to be passed over. Now Captain Skippy is walking around with a Major's insignia on their arm when the promotion board just told him he's not Major material.  Uh-oh.

Fun fact, my eyes start watering when I see a Visine commercial, so I'm writing this next part through tears.
Corneal tattoos.

I'm rarely right... Except when I am.  ---  Idle question.  What is the BV2 of dread?
Apollo's Law- if it needs Clan tech to make it useable, It doesn't deserve those resources in the first place.
Sure it isn't the most practical 'mech ever designed, but it's a hundred ton axe-murderer. If loving that is wrong I don't wanna be right.

Colt Ward

• Lieutenant General
  • Gott Mit Uns
« Reply #29 on: 12 March 2020, 09:25:26 »
So my character is being assigned a Rakshasha, and I am going with the following design.

He may also get the unit insignia also, though the Rakshasha is first

Never knew that is where the name came from- did it even mention it?  Otherwise there is a LOT of irony that its a Mad Kitty . . . . which Rakshasa?  I have come to love the -1Ar.
Colt Ward