Author Topic: Beyond Hope Character Art Gallery and Directory  (Read 6459 times)

Daryk

• Lieutenant General
  • The Double Deuce II/II-σ
Re: Beyond Hope Character Art Gallery and Directory
« Reply #30 on: 01 November 2023, 20:17:51 »
Man, the bot is almost as bad with eyes as it is with fingers... ::)

monbvol

• Colonel
  • I said don't look!
« Reply #31 on: 01 November 2023, 20:22:05 »
Yes, yes it is.

But Cannonshop says he likes this one better for Daphne Rowe:

Daryk

• Lieutenant General
« Reply #32 on: 01 November 2023, 20:30:13 »
The braids make it, yeah! :)

monbvol

• Colonel
  • I said don't look!
« Reply #33 on: 01 November 2023, 20:34:11 »
And Cannonshop's vote is the remaining images(I axed the one we both agreed looked a bit goofy for Linda) for Linda Sithers can represent her at various different stages in her life/career.  And yeah I think I can see that working.

Wrangler

• Colonel
  • Dang it!
    • Battletech Fanon Wiki
« Reply #34 on: 01 November 2023, 20:59:20 »
Hi guys, if you don't mind.  I can fix the odd eyes and stuff like that when I'm ready upload to the wiki.
"Men, fetch the Urbanmechs.  We have an interrogation to attend to." - jklantern
"How do you defeat a Dragau? Shoot the damn thing. Lots." - Jellico 
"No, it's a "Most Awesome Blues Brothers scene Reenactment EVER" waiting to happen." VotW Destrier - Weirdo  
"It's 200 LY to Sian, we got a full load of shells, a half a platoon of Grenadiers, it's exploding outside, and we're wearing flak jackets." VoTW Destrier - Misterpants
-Editor on Battletech Fanon Wiki

monbvol

• Colonel
  • I said don't look!
« Reply #35 on: 01 November 2023, 21:06:50 »
Go for it.

Daryk

• Lieutenant General
« Reply #36 on: 04 November 2023, 10:21:33 »
Hmmm... I'm sketching out Linda Sithers, and coming up with 35 for age:

Affiliation: Lyran/Coventry Province (+Rockjack)

Stage 1: Blue Collar (10 years)

Stage 2: Spacer Family (6 years)

Technical College: 4 years
Communications (1 year, Civil Affairs cert, probably via remote course)
DropShip Pilot (Civilian) 1 year
JumpShip Pilot (2 years, Navigation training)

Military Enlistment: 3.5 years
Basic Training (Naval) 0.5 year
Ship's Crew (1.5 years)
Marine (1.5 years, Marine MOS)

Police Training: 3.5 years
Police Officer (0.5 year)
Detective (1 year)
Police Tactical Officer (2 years, Gravity Ops cert)

OCS: 1 year (possibly still in progress via remote course)

Tour of Duty: 3 years (split between apprentice and journeyman tours)

To Serve and Protect: 4 years (add in part of the Police Training to get to 5)

Aside from the 4 years of extra age, I think I can make everything fit... :)

Wrangler

• Colonel
  • Dang it!
    • Battletech Fanon Wiki
« Reply #37 on: 04 November 2023, 12:02:12 »
Speaking of art, I'm about to start archiving The story. Not having read it quite yet, does anyone have a feel on what the artwork should be what the general theme is? I've done art for the past Ngo stories but I don't have a good feel on what this one is about. Or the general feel initially.

That would help me.
"Men, fetch the Urbanmechs.  We have an interrogation to attend to." - jklantern
"No, it's a "Most Awesome Blues Brothers scene Reenactment EVER" waiting to happen." VotW Destrier - Weirdo  
"It's 200 LY to Sian, we got a full load of shells, a half a platoon of Grenadiers, it's exploding outside, and we're wearing flak jackets." VoTW Destrier - Misterpants

Daryk

• Lieutenant General
« Reply #38 on: 04 November 2023, 12:06:46 »
Helena and Elizabeth Cameron misjump forward in time (in a Caspar, with a small bodyguard) to about a week after Elizabeth Ngo removes Stonecipher as regent.  That enough for you?

Wrangler

• Colonel
  • Dang it!
    • Battletech Fanon Wiki
« Reply #39 on: 04 November 2023, 12:56:04 »
Helena and Elizabeth Cameron misjump forward in time (in a Caspar, with a small bodyguard) to about a week after Elizabeth Ngo removes Stonecipher as regent.  That enough for you?
Okay, I think I can work this out. As long as everyone's happy with I come up with.

Daryk

• Lieutenant General
« Reply #40 on: 04 November 2023, 13:02:20 »
For bonus points, work in that Elizabeth Cameron IS the Caspar... ;)

Wrangler

• Colonel
  • Dang it!
    • Battletech Fanon Wiki
« Reply #41 on: 04 November 2023, 17:07:10 »
For bonus points, work in that Elizabeth Cameron IS the Caspar... ;)
So she a friendly ghost?  :grin:

Daryk

• Lieutenant General
« Reply #42 on: 04 November 2023, 17:43:37 »
Heh! :D

Wrangler

• Colonel
  • Dang it!
    • Battletech Fanon Wiki
« Reply #43 on: 05 November 2023, 16:25:07 »
So I sorted out Jacob Iron's picture profile.  Non-screwed up eye, fingers fixed.

Daryk

• Lieutenant General
« Reply #44 on: 05 November 2023, 16:26:06 »
Much better!  Now if I could just figure out what he's holding in his hand... ;)

Daryk

• Lieutenant General
« Reply #45 on: 05 November 2023, 16:50:04 »
Just realized you can't take Communications and DropShip Pilot fields at the same time... that will shave a year off Technical College, bringing Linda down to 34... I'll have to figure something else out for her Civil Affairs cert... maybe another level or two of Protocol...

Daryk

• Lieutenant General
« Reply #46 on: 05 November 2023, 18:12:13 »
Got her (Linda) to fit, and even have the option to take another -100 XP in Enemy (currently at -500 XP, "Major Underworld Lt."' next step is a "Major Underworld Boss").  She has 5 levels of Navigation/K-F, and has a base target number of 2.

Wrangler

• Colonel
  • Dang it!
    • Battletech Fanon Wiki
« Reply #47 on: 05 November 2023, 20:12:17 »
Much better!  Now if I could just figure out what he's holding in his hand... ;)

I believe it's a fancy cup.  I've seen something like that in animes.

What I think would be challenge is a image of the character,  Evelynn Mosovich.   She supposed to have some serious surgery. Including...having eyes like Batou from Ghost in the Shell.

Daryk

• Lieutenant General
« Reply #48 on: 05 November 2023, 21:04:00 »
I think that's the vibe Cannonshop has had in mind for her for a while now, yes...

monbvol

• Colonel
  • I said don't look!
« Reply #49 on: 05 November 2023, 23:05:48 »
Which the artbot I use refuses to generate.

Cannonshop

• Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #50 on: 05 November 2023, 23:20:58 »
Which the artbot I use refuses to generate.

Eyes are so critical to Anime conventions, especially for female characters, and teh bot you're using has an art style based on Manga/Anime methods and conventions, I'm honestly not terribly surprised the machine refuses to go down that route.
"If you have to ask permission, then it's no longer a Right, it has been turned into a Privilege-something that can be and will be taken from you when convenient."

monbvol

• Colonel
  • I said don't look!
« Reply #51 on: 05 November 2023, 23:25:06 »
Eyes are so critical to Anime conventions, especially for female characters, and teh bot you're using has an art style based on Manga/Anime methods and conventions, I'm honestly not terribly surprised the machine refuses to go down that route.

Indeed and age is another thing poorly portrayed in that art style.

Wrangler

• Colonel
  • Dang it!
    • Battletech Fanon Wiki
« Reply #52 on: 06 November 2023, 09:19:50 »
Indeed and age is another thing poorly portrayed in that art style.
Are most AI art programs like that?  I think the anime theme one that you're using I believe is the problem. I'm just not sure how to explain a cyborg with camera eyes to an ai. I'm not really had too much issue with a character's age, I think it depends on the program's theme and how advanced it is too.

Cannonshop

• Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #53 on: 06 November 2023, 10:21:49 »
Are most AI art programs like that?  I think the anime theme one that you're using I believe is the problem. I'm just not sure how to explain a cyborg with camera eyes to an ai. I'm not really had too much issue with a character's age, I think it depends on the program's theme and how advanced it is too.

There are flesh-and-blood artists (and I don't mean hacks, good, solid, high quality creators here) who have trouble with those kind of instructions.  there was a period in the late 1990s/early 2000's where Marvel Comics kept drawing female characters who looked cartoony, this is the post-Liefeld era and some of it was a reaction to the creation of Image Comics and losing some of their top talent, but the people that they had weren't hacks-they just had problems conveying things like "Domino is middle aged", or that Sue Storm isn't a precocious preteen.

(I'm not going to go through the nightmare of finding exact images from that era...)

How bad was it? you know it's bad when Scarlet Witch looks like she's slightly YOUNGER than Jubilee.  (Wanda was, at the time, supposed to be late 20s early 30s and Jubilee was supposed to be about the age of a sophmore in High School, just to give you context.)

so the AI has a 'distinct style' and that style has some problems with my characters.  That's normal.  It may improve.
"If you have to ask permission, then it's no longer a Right, it has been turned into a Privilege-something that can be and will be taken from you when convenient."

monbvol

• Colonel
  • I said don't look!
« Reply #54 on: 06 November 2023, 12:30:01 »
There are flesh-and-blood artists (and I don't mean hacks, good, solid, high quality creators here) who have trouble with those kind of instructions.  there was a period in the late 1990s/early 2000's where Marvel Comics kept drawing female characters who looked cartoony, this is the post-Liefeld era and some of it was a reaction to the creation of Image Comics and losing some of their top talent, but the people that they had weren't hacks-they just had problems conveying things like "Domino is middle aged", or that Sue Storm isn't a precocious preteen.

(I'm not going to go through the nightmare of finding exact images from that era...)

How bad was it? you know it's bad when Scarlet Witch looks like she's slightly YOUNGER than Jubilee.  (Wanda was, at the time, supposed to be late 20s early 30s and Jubilee was supposed to be about the age of a sophmore in High School, just to give you context.)

so the AI has a 'distinct style' and that style has some problems with my characters.  That's normal.  It may improve.

In general it is always tough to show distinctions in certain details.  Age is the most obvious and immediate one.  It can be done with certain drawing styles but those styles tend to be too labor intensive for comic books and animation(western or eastern).

Daryk

• Lieutenant General
« Reply #55 on: 06 November 2023, 17:59:46 »
I suspect Howard Tayler (Schlock Mercenary) managed it only because of his particular style...

Wrangler

• Colonel
  • Dang it!
    • Battletech Fanon Wiki
« Reply #56 on: 07 November 2023, 13:12:42 »
I revised Tranh's face.   Nothing I can do about his mouth but move it slightly up.  I had slight shorten his head litte, and I made eyes more match one another.

« Last Edit: 07 November 2023, 13:15:22 by Wrangler »

monbvol

• Colonel
  • I said don't look!
« Reply #57 on: 18 December 2023, 20:54:47 »

Janet is a former Steel Viper and a trueborn Mechwarrior.  She went with Perigrad Zalman on his ill-fated trip to Kowloon’s surface and even made it to the surface in time for her mech to be caught up in the floodwaters.  One of the locals found her and started badgering her with questions about Clan intimate relations customs.  Her answers seemed to trigger him and they got into a fight when he called Janet a ‘slaving bitch whore’.  Seems this gave Janet some notoriety because the man she got into a fight with was the district (kick?) boxing champion.

Humiliated, humbled, Janet realized the fight for Kowloon and to rescue Helena Cameron was already decided before she even boarded the Dropship and thus her skills as a mechwarrior were irrelevant.  To soothe her warrior pride she petitioned for immigration and a spot with the Coast Guard where she is proving a motivated and able student.

Wrangler

• Colonel
  • Dang it!
    • Battletech Fanon Wiki
« Reply #58 on: 19 December 2023, 22:35:44 »
adding character, fixing her hand...

« Last Edit: 19 December 2023, 22:42:27 by Wrangler »

monbvol

• Colonel
  • I said don't look!
« Reply #59 on: 23 December 2023, 19:39:01 »

Before she met Sarak ‘Why’ Yeh Gabrielle was known to actually be very violent, aggressive, and ill tempered.

Under his guidance she was tempered and able to channel such urges into more productive habits/behaviors.

She enjoys all sorts of physical pursuits(athletics, camping, hiking, shooting) and is an avid reader, often being found in possession of ‘gray list’ books.

It was very much a surprise when she tested so highly upon entering Kowloon’s university program in Computer Science.

Eddie Vanh has very much caught her attention.

Mai Chan is absolutely loyal to the Capellan Confederation and despite her age was selected to attend the Academy at Kowloon because she is a near perfect example of the failings of the Capellan system.  For Mai is extremely bright with a photographic memory and in any other realm she would almost certainly have been sent to University and wound up on some research staff somewhere and gaining prominence doing that.  Instead she was put into service as a pilot and also proved quite able as an Aerospace pilot.  She survived the 4th Succession War and steadily gained promotions within the nascent naval arm.  So she was a natural choice for the CCN to send as a candidate.

She is very boisterous and self confident.

Morgan Icaza

After the debacle at Kowloon Sarah Ahmed was elected Khan of Clan Steel Viper despite her youth and lack of combat experience but her force of personality and ability to rally the touman along with fresh perspectives caused her to be nominated and voted in.

Through many close calls she was able to rally the remains of Clan Steel Viper to fend off successive attempts at absorption.  But it was a losing proposition and she knew it was just a matter of time before another Clan made a serious attempt she could not rebuff.

Part of it too was the stink of such a thorough and humiliating defeat did not make Clan Steel Viper particularly attractive to absorb.

3063 was when Stanislov N’Buta approached her.  Star adder had just suffered their own defeat and was now in peril of becoming absorbed as well.

The two struck a deal.  Steel Viper and Star Adder would merge.  A Trial would determine which one would be Khan and which saKhan.

Sarak ‘Why’ Yeh had started as something of a Ristar, gaining his bloodname at an early age.

What was not widely known was his necrosia addiction.  The visions he received from the necrosia caused him to start questioning everything.  And I do mean everything.

On the verge of being deemed abthaka or worse, Why Yeh managed to break his addiction but remained quite philosophical for a Clanner and was still on the verge of disgrace or worse.  But after the defeat of the Jaguars, Steel Vipers, and Star Adders his views saw increased popularity within his Clan in particular, enough he was suddenly on the rise to prominence again.
He was tapped to share his views with many other Clans in order to prepare their warriors for what was becoming known as the Total War.

That task completed he was selected to command the garrison cluster being sent to the Inner Sphere.

Register