Author Topic: Cover experiment  (Read 2358 times)

Red Pins

• Major
  • Inspiration+Creativity=Insanity
Cover experiment
« on: 06 December 2023, 00:24:54 »
Sooo.  Perhaps a little overeager.  But its pretty!
...Visit the Legacy Cluster...
The New Clans:Volume One
Clan Devil Wasp * Clan Carnoraptor * Clan Frost Ape * Clan Surf Dragon * Clan Tundra Leopard
Work-in-progress; The Blake Threat File
Now with MORE GROGNARD!  ...I think I'm done.  I've played long enough to earn a pension, fer cryin' out loud!  IlClan and out in <REDACTED>!
TRO: 3176 Hegemony Refits - the 30-day wonder

namar13766

• Master Sergeant
Re: Cover experiment
« Reply #1 on: 06 December 2023, 09:02:43 »
I’m guessing that’s a bushwhacker. is this related to the New Clans or is it a separate project?

Red Pins

• Major
« Reply #2 on: 06 December 2023, 17:00:11 »
Separate.  My own is floundering on the redesigned Deva - my gosh, it's so annoying, but I think I got it figured out.
Clan Devil Wasp * Clan Carnoraptor * Clan Frost Ape * Clan Surf Dragon * Clan Tundra Leopard
Now with MORE GROGNARD!  ...I think I'm done.  I've played long enough to earn a pension, fer cryin' out loud!  IlClan and out in <REDACTED>!

Maingunnery

• Lieutenant Colonel
  • Pirates and C3 masters are on the hitlist
« Reply #3 on: 06 December 2023, 18:50:50 »
It is a very good start, I just do not know about the color.
With the Bushwacker I would have expected either green (typical bushwacker main camo color) or red (reference to TRO 3058 original cover).
Herb: "Well, now I guess we'll HAVE to print it. Sounds almost like the apocalypse I've been working for...."

The Society:Fan XTRO & Field Manual
Nebula California: HyperTube Xtreme
Nebula Confederation Ships

Red Pins

• Major
« Reply #4 on: 06 December 2023, 19:19:19 »
Not up to me.   :cheesy:  Can't wait till he sees it tonight!

Red Pins

• Major
« Reply #5 on: 08 December 2023, 22:35:58 »
He didn't know if he wanted to try portrait or landscape.  Holy Cow! :shocked:  I liked the landscape - but I think I like this MORE!

ringringlingling

• Sergeant
« Reply #6 on: 09 December 2023, 02:36:34 »
Okay I uploaded all my stuff to dropbox, let me know when you get it.
I'm a six Star General!

Red Pins

• Major
« Reply #7 on: 09 December 2023, 11:25:58 »
PM sent.   :cheesy:

Red Pins

• Major
« Reply #8 on: 12 December 2023, 01:16:23 »
 :evil:

Ring, whatcha think?  Sorry, this is just easier to do than the whole dropbox thing.

*Remember I said it was like catnip?  Well - fell down the rabbit hole again.   :embarrassed:

Daryk

• Lieutenant General
  • The Double Deuce II/II-σ
« Reply #9 on: 13 December 2023, 04:16:47 »
The grid is just a formatting artifact, right?

Red Pins

• Major
« Reply #10 on: 13 December 2023, 07:46:40 »
Yeah, it's view->grid,  comes and goes with a single button.  SO  useful.

Daryk

• Lieutenant General
« Reply #11 on: 13 December 2023, 17:44:26 »
Glad to hear it! :)

Wrangler

• Colonel
  • Dang it!
    • Battletech Fanon Wiki
« Reply #12 on: 16 December 2023, 14:57:30 »
I think it looks good.  I think white should be changed.  I wish mech was wider, it seems to narrow for me. It maybe to fit in the picture
"Men, fetch the Urbanmechs.  We have an interrogation to attend to." - jklantern
"How do you defeat a Dragau? Shoot the damn thing. Lots." - Jellico 
"No, it's a "Most Awesome Blues Brothers scene Reenactment EVER" waiting to happen." VotW Destrier - Weirdo  
"It's 200 LY to Sian, we got a full load of shells, a half a platoon of Grenadiers, it's exploding outside, and we're wearing flak jackets." VoTW Destrier - Misterpants
-Editor on Battletech Fanon Wiki

Red Pins

• Major
« Reply #13 on: 17 December 2023, 01:34:03 »
I think it looks good.  I think white should be changed.  I wish mech was wider, it seems to narrow for me. It maybe to fit in the picture

It's ratio is locked, IIRC, which is why i had to have the bar in the side and bottom.  I'm  just surprised there's that much detail to enlarge so cleanly, but it is the MWO 3D image, so I guess it isn't surprising.

Red Pins

• Major
« Reply #14 on: 17 December 2023, 18:04:08 »
Ring, here's the format I'm transferring the information from the MML files.  I hope these headings are ok; let me know if you want a change to something.

Daryk

• Lieutenant General
« Reply #15 on: 17 December 2023, 18:37:47 »
The program you're using doesn't like columns... :/

Red Pins

• Major
« Reply #16 on: 17 December 2023, 18:59:36 »
MML.

It's such a colossal pain I actually find it easier to just transfer data across and then to the document.I haven't found an easier way, anyway.  Because space is always limited even at squint-inducing font, I compress the entry slightly, so some of them don't cross over anyway.

Once Ring chooses the headings, this will be data transfer with some cut and paste for things like

Medium Laser             RA           1 (crit)        1.0 (tons)

I figure a couple days for the units, then the art, print and scan the RS at work, attach....  with a little luck, Ring will have a bouncy new TRO by New Year's.

Oh, God, what have I done?       

Daryk

• Lieutenant General
« Reply #17 on: 17 December 2023, 19:03:07 »
Have you tried pasting into Notepad to get it into a monospace font first?  That's basically what code tags here do.

Red Pins

• Major
« Reply #18 on: 17 December 2023, 21:32:52 »
Oh, yes.  I explored all 4 methods of transferring the information, from exporting to pdf, notepad, clipboard, and test.  Exporting to pdf causes the least disruption, but with a compressed data table, I save space and can keep a larger font.

It's up to Ring, anyway.  I'm just doing what's easiest for me for a first draft.

Daryk

• Lieutenant General
« Reply #19 on: 18 December 2023, 04:09:23 »
Ah, good luck then! :)

Wrangler

• Colonel
  • Dang it!
    • Battletech Fanon Wiki
« Reply #20 on: 18 December 2023, 09:12:40 »
The two TROs I've done have been essentially MML text I transposed to Word And I have re do spacing.

I'm under the opinion that using cells may be a better option to keep everything in place. I just don't know how to do it.
"Men, fetch the Urbanmechs.  We have an interrogation to attend to." - jklantern
"No, it's a "Most Awesome Blues Brothers scene Reenactment EVER" waiting to happen." VotW Destrier - Weirdo  
"It's 200 LY to Sian, we got a full load of shells, a half a platoon of Grenadiers, it's exploding outside, and we're wearing flak jackets." VoTW Destrier - Misterpants

Maingunnery

• Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #21 on: 18 December 2023, 12:50:05 »

There is a way to avoid spacing and font issues: type the text over by hand.
But be careful of internal copypasting inside the document, I got a few errors that way.
Herb: "Well, now I guess we'll HAVE to print it. Sounds almost like the apocalypse I've been working for...."

Red Pins

• Major
« Reply #22 on: 18 December 2023, 17:10:38 »
The two TROs I've done have been essentially MML text I transposed to Word And I have re do spacing.

I'm under the opinion that using cells may be a better option to keep everything in place. I just don't know how to do it.

Ugh. Tried that - fine if you're absolutely positive it will never need to move, but Ring hasn't contacted me yet and confirmed anything.  And I may have to go to two columns of text for the fluff and part of the data, then finish on the next page with data, an AS card, and the biggest picture I can reasonably fit.

There is a way to avoid spacing and font issues: type the text over by hand.
But be careful of internal copypasting inside the document, I got a few errors that way.

Yeah.  But I got it pretty well down by now.  Pic related.

ringringlingling

• Sergeant
« Reply #23 on: 18 December 2023, 23:02:11 »
hey guys, been a while since I've been on the forum.  Red Pins has been doing some great work.  Trying to get those mech entries out as fast as I can.
I'm a six Star General!

Red Pins

• Major
« Reply #24 on: 17 February 2024, 00:53:57 »
Well.  Figured out how to make a RS book.  That took a while.  Ring's going to go berk when he resurfaces and checks the dropbox :grin:

Daryk

• Lieutenant General
« Reply #25 on: 17 February 2024, 04:24:16 »
Congrats on the progress! :)

Maingunnery

• Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #26 on: 17 February 2024, 06:34:11 »
Well.  Figured out how to make a RS book.  That took a while.  Ring's going to go berk when he resurfaces and checks the dropbox :grin:
Congrats, how many pages is the RS book now?  :cool:

Red Pins

• Major
« Reply #27 on: 17 February 2024, 09:21:34 »
Only 12 or so; the rest is fluff.  Seems like completing the data tables is going to be the 2nd to last step, then çheck lines and hidden formats, then final shape placement, then credits and notes..

Wrangler

• Colonel
  • Dang it!
    • Battletech Fanon Wiki
« Reply #28 on: 17 February 2024, 21:34:35 »
Looking forward till you hit the finish line, Red Pins!

Red Pins

• Major
« Reply #29 on: 17 February 2024, 22:31:00 »
Well, as the creator of this little project, I'm dumping that on Ring to declare its been crossed.   :grin:

Wrangler

• Colonel
  • Dang it!
    • Battletech Fanon Wiki
« Reply #30 on: 18 February 2024, 00:05:51 »
Ring?

Red Pins

• Major
« Reply #31 on: 20 February 2024, 01:47:16 »
Ring?

Ringringlingling, da brains a' dis oper-a-shun.   :smilie_happy_clapping:

Ring, its down to putting down the shapes and page numbers.  Want to put a note in it?

Red Pins

• Major
« Reply #32 on: 22 February 2024, 01:21:26 »
And..  Done!

Now, to find something new to waste time with.  I'm torn between a writing the story of 'My Two Houses' and just designing the hundred or so drones/robots for my own project.  Probably both.

Wrangler

• Colonel
  • Dang it!
    • Battletech Fanon Wiki
« Reply #33 on: 22 February 2024, 22:02:13 »
I'd get the story, substance behind a book is always good.

Register