Author Topic: Spall Liner  (Read 984 times)

Grand_dm

• Master Sergeant
    • Ultanya
Spall Liner
« on: 20 October 2021, 08:47:00 »
Based on some other fan designs I've seen below is my tentative version. Question for the group: Do you think this minimizes critical hits too much or would you implement them in your home games?

About: Spall liners are made from rubberized materials, high-performance polyethylene or fiberglass. The spall liner is mounted on the inside of the 'Mech or vehicle. It is designed to stop fragments (spall) and to reduce the critical damage sustained.

Game Rules: A spall liner is a passive defense. They are installed in .25 ton increments providing 2 critical spaces each of protection. When a Battlemech rolls for critical hits, the roll is resolved normally.

When a space occupying a spall liner is rolled, the location is NOT re-rolled and instead the liner is completely destroyed by that critical hit. Subsequent hits to the same space are re-rolled.

The spall liner may be installed in a location that has less than 2 critical spots open, such as the head, however leftover slots cannot be added to other locations. Spall Liners may be installed in the same location as CASE.
Big ideas and gaming outside the box. #Gametavern proprietor. Plus Ultra.

AlphaMirage

• Major
Re: Spall Liner
« Reply #1 on: 20 October 2021, 08:50:02 »
Would this be used to protect individual crits? Cause armored components does that, or would it fill in otherwise empty spaces?

Grand_dm

• Master Sergeant
    • Ultanya
« Reply #2 on: 20 October 2021, 09:02:24 »
Would this be used to protect individual crits? Cause armored components does that, or would it fill in otherwise empty spaces?

It just fills empty spaces, so you don't need to re-roll them when hit the first time - thus preventing a critical from finding a component.

monbvol

• Colonel
  • I said don't look!
« Reply #3 on: 20 October 2021, 09:19:30 »
Hmmm... I am not sure it really works that great for Heads, Center Torsos, and Legs but I'm not sure how I'd change it to make it better for those sort of locations without making Armored Component redundant.  Arms and Side Torsos it makes an interesting addition.

Grand_dm

• Master Sergeant
    • Ultanya
« Reply #4 on: 20 October 2021, 12:03:22 »
Hmmm... I am not sure it really works that great for Heads, Center Torsos, and Legs but I'm not sure how I'd change it to make it better for those sort of locations without making Armored Component redundant.  Arms and Side Torsos it makes an interesting addition.

I agree, if I was using them it would be Side Torsos. Maybe an Arm if I had a prized Lostech Weapon there.

DevianID

• Captain
« Reply #5 on: 24 October 2021, 23:28:46 »
I think if you did spall liners as an armor type divergent from ferro fibrous it would be cool, with the same tech level.  14 slots, still 16 points/ton.  The 14 crit slots are not ignored; critical hits to them are counted but have no other game effect.  So you cant combine Spall liners and ferro fib as they are both armor types.  For spall liners in only 1 location, use the patchwork armor rules.

Grand_dm

• Master Sergeant
    • Ultanya
« Reply #6 on: 25 October 2021, 05:33:09 »
I think if you did spall liners as an armor type divergent from ferro fibrous it would be cool, with the same tech level.  14 slots, still 16 points/ton.  The 14 crit slots are not ignored; critical hits to them are counted but have no other game effect.  So you cant combine Spall liners and ferro fib as they are both armor types.  For spall liners in only 1 location, use the patchwork armor rules.

I think that's a great idea too.