Author Topic: Using Alpha Strike in a Chaos Campaign- Warchest point conversion?  (Read 1823 times)

MechCommanderAndyMan

• Recruit
My friends and I want to play a Chaos Campaign with Alpha Strike rules.
Are there any cost tables for the Alpha Strike system?
Thanks guys!

Lanceman

• Catalyst Demo Team
  • Warrant Officer
  • Blake Be Praised
Re: Using Alpha Strike in a Chaos Campaign- Warchest point conversion?
« Reply #1 on: 07 November 2023, 15:14:57 »
The old Alpha Strike Companion has a section for campaign rules that are at their heart a version of the Chaos Campaign rules tailored to Alpha Strike. The biggest thing to get from this is how to determine if a pilot is wounded or killed if a unit is damaged/destroyed, as Alpha Strike doesn't really separate pilot from unit like classic does. There's a nice table for it in there.

That being said, there's nothing in the Chaos Campaign rules in Campaign Operations that's inherently incompatible. Objective and bonus Warchest Points don't really need to be changed between using one system or the other, but some of the objectives that require "X number of turns" might need to be tweaked to account for Alpha Strike's faster play. The scenarios in the ilClan sourcebook give some good examples of that.

Support points conversion shouldn't be very different either. Outside of determining if a unit is only using introductory tech if you aren't familiar with it from Classic, but the Master Unit List can help you there. The other thing would be ammo costs, you could ignore it since Alpha Strike doesn't track ammo, or make units that don't have the ENE special pay it between tracks, or pay it if you want to use special munitions.

"Pure truth cannot be assimilated by the crowd; it must be communicated by contagion" -  Henri-Frédéric Amiel

Sartris

• Codex Conditor
  • BattleTech Volunteer
  • Colonel
  • Cap’n-Generalissimost
    • Master Unit List
« Reply #2 on: 07 November 2023, 15:34:33 »
the AS-specific chaos campaign rules are found in the original Alpha Strike book and a slightly more robust version in the Alpha Strike Companion. Unfortunately, this ruleset did not make the migration to the Commander's edition.

You bought the box set and are ready to expand your bt experience. Now what? | Modern Sourcebook Index | FASA Sourcebook Index | Print on Demand Index
Equipment Reference Cards | DIY Pilot Cards | PaperTech Mech and Vehicle Counters

Interviewer: Since you’ve stopped making art, how do you spend your time?
Paul Chan Breathers: Oh, I’m a breather. I’m a respirateur. Isn’t that enough?

nckestrel

• Scientia Bellator
  • Freelance Writer
  • Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #3 on: 07 November 2023, 17:32:56 »
Battle of Tukayyid covers Chaos Campaign for Alpha Strike.

Or use Chaos Campaign: Succession Wars with the following extras
https://bg.battletech.com/forums/index.php/topic,66641.msg1553479.html#msg1553479
Alpha Strike Introduction resources
Left of Center blog - Nashira Campaign for A Game of Armored Combat, TP 3039 Vega Supplemental Record Sheets

Sartris

• Codex Conditor
  • BattleTech Volunteer
  • Colonel
  • Cap’n-Generalissimost
    • Master Unit List
« Reply #4 on: 07 November 2023, 17:40:48 »
Battle of Tukayyid covers Chaos Campaign for Alpha Strike.

You bought the box set and are ready to expand your bt experience. Now what? | Modern Sourcebook Index | FASA Sourcebook Index | Print on Demand Index
Equipment Reference Cards | DIY Pilot Cards | PaperTech Mech and Vehicle Counters

Interviewer: Since you’ve stopped making art, how do you spend your time?
Paul Chan Breathers: Oh, I’m a breather. I’m a respirateur. Isn’t that enough?

Register