Author Topic: Command Star SPA Bonus Ability  (Read 265 times)

MarauderD

• Major
Command Star SPA Bonus Ability
« on: 09 May 2024, 16:41:19 »
Am I reading this right?

AS:CE 6th Ed, pp 120.  Command Lance:  Half the units in this formation (round up) get a special ability.  So in a Command Star, half of the units (2.5) rounds up to 3.  So you get a Commander unit with Tactical Genius, and 3!!! other units get to pick their special ability?

For some reason, 3 units with Combat Intuition (for example) seems really strong compared to a Command Lance where only 2 units would have the special ability.

MyndkryM

• Warrant Officer
Re: Command Star SPA Bonus Ability
« Reply #1 on: 09 May 2024, 17:17:00 »
That's how I read it. Stars and Level IIs not only get 3 units with the granted SPAs, they also maintain better formation integrity than Lances. A formation must have at least 3 units to qualify for it's bonus SPAs. So this means that an IS Command Lance would no longer receive it's SPAs when it has lost 2 units, where as a Star and Level II can lose 2 untis (3 in the case of a Level II) and still receive granted SPAs.

I like Combat Intuition a lot...but it does have some significant limitations. The first, you have to win initiative; and second, it has a 3 turn cooldown. It definitely has potential to swing momentum, but I'd be hesitant to assign that one SPA to all the units. Since I prefer playing SAR, I've found that Multi-Tasker gets more use and can be used like a mini-Lucky. Since M-T allows you to make an attack, and then declare the same target for the second attack...it's nice when you feel the dice gods are conspiring against you.

My fav IS Company Command Lance:
Code: [Select]
Command Lance (Command Lance,Granted SPAs*) 181
CPT Marauder MAD-11D BM 3 1 8" Sniper 5/5/4 1 7/3 2 57 CASEII,FLK1/1/1
SPA:Human TRO,Sniper,Tactical Genius*
SGT Warhammer WHM-10K BM 3 1 8" Brawler 4/4/2 1 7/4 3 47 BRA,CASEII
SPA:Multi-Tasker*
SGT Thunderbolt TDR-8M BM 3 1 8"j Brawler 3/4/2 0 7/5 4 38 CASE,IF1
SGT Wolverine WVR-9R BM 2 2 10"j Skirmisher 4/4/2 0 6/3 4 39 CASE
SPA:Combat Intuition*
« Last Edit: 09 May 2024, 17:56:24 by MyndkryM »
"Halfway down the trail to Hell,
In a shady meadow green
Are the Souls of all dead Troopers camped,
Near a good old-time canteen.
And this eternal resting place
Is known as Fiddlers’ Green...."

-"Fiddler's Green" The US Cavalryman's Prayer

Charistoph

• Major
Re: Command Star SPA Bonus Ability
« Reply #2 on: 09 May 2024, 17:45:23 »
Combat Intuition on a timer isn't that bad.  In Classic rules, it gives the Pilot a Wound (though there is no Consciousness Check).
Are you a Wolf, a Sheep, or a Hound?
Quote from: Megavolt
They called me crazy…they called me insane…THEY CALLED ME LOONEY!! and boy, were they right.

Charistoph's Painted Products of Mechanical Mayhem