Author Topic: Creating Serednya Slaviya's military, part the second  (Read 22413 times)

ANS Kamas P81

• Colonel
Re: Creating Serednya Slaviya's military, part the second
« Reply #540 on: 21 January 2024, 02:59:41 »
I took another look at training expenses and there's no reason I'm spending $12,357 per year per trooper on shooting missiles I pretty much don't have.  I cut the ammo budget to 30% of the $4,000 the US spends, to reflect the price of ammunition made in Serednya Slaviya, and cut the missile budget down to 1/3 to account for the limited number of missile systems to use.  That freed up a lot of cash, so I looked into expanding the military somewhat.

I did cut back on a few Pandurs in second-line positions, such as CBRN scouts, ambulance, or recovery vehicles.  That was left to surplus BTR-80s, which also serve in the Support Group.

Combat Group Vehicles
  1572 Personel
  23 B1 Centauro (34.5 million)
  12 M2A2 ODS Bradley ($26.4 million)
  36 Pandur II APC ($118.8 million)
  18 Pandur II TOW ($63 million)
  21 BTR-80 (pre-owned)
  8 Nona-SVK (pre-owned)
  12 Gvozdika (pre-owned)
  6 BM-21 Grad (pre-owned)
  24 ZSU-23-4 Biala ($24 million)
  288 Igla missiles ($25.9 million)
  89 HMMWV ($0.9 million)
  1 LMTV 4x4 Truck ($0.1 million)
  62 FMTV 6x6 Truck ($4.7 million)
  Total $297.4 million

Support Group Vehicles
  1210 Personnel
  32 BTR-80 (pre-owned)
  193 HMMWV ($1.9 million)
  19 LMTV 4x4 Truck ($1 million)
  120 FMTV 6x6 Truck ($9 million)
  113 HEMTT 8x8 Truck ($32.6 million)
  33 Assorted Engineer Vehicle ($16.5 million)
  Total $61 million

I decided to go with four Support Groups and two Battle Groups by 2023, with the last two groups added in the last two years as a response to Russian aggression.  I suppose the two Combat Groups are more of a parade force, which is designed to look impressive even if its combat power is limited.  A case of Serednya Slaviya's 'we can do it ' attitude, and something to help the typical citizen sleep at night knowing there's at least some small component of a military force to protect them.  At the same time, four SGs give me the ability to support a division or two of NATO allies in-country, or parcel one or two out to foreign missions. 

Four SGs price in at $244 million, plus the $594.8 million for the two Combat Groups.  Adding in the $106.5 million for infantry weapons and $251.9 million for the Air Force procurement, and I end up with a total of $946.1 million spent.  Shifting this around my spreadsheet leaves me with $348.9 million left over to spend on computers, so I'm keeping that number loosely consistent.  That requires panic spending of 2.5% GDP in 2022 and 3% in 2023, but I can justify that I think.

Operations costs are the big roadblock to expansion, even with Serednya Slaviya's economic situation.  Munitions expenses are also up there, with all the money I'm spending to have a stock of TOW missiles.  It's enough for 10 missiles for each launcher, counting the 24 Bradleys twice and the 12 helicopters four times.  There's also a batch of Igla missiles for the 24 advanced Shilkas, with a dozen SAMs apiece.  That's a backup stock that I'm not dipping into for training, so I'm listing it as its own procurement entry.

SSLF + SSAF Infantry Weapons
  9,500 Grot B rifle ($25.7 million)
  9,500 Interceptor body armor ($15 million)
  9,500 SSh-68 helmet (pre-owned)
  9,500 Bayonets ($0.2 million)
  9,500 Uniform Sets ($19 million)
  700 Glock 19 ($0.3 million)
  350 GP Grenade Launchers ($0.5 million)
  350 Mossberg 590 ($0.2 million)
  250 Ultimax 100 ($1.1 million)
  500 MG3 ($1.5 million)
  250 M2HB ($3.5 million)
  250 Mk 19 ($5 million)
  750 AN/PVS-14 Nightvision Optic ($2.2 million)
  5,000 AT4 ($7.4 million)
  300 Spike SR missiles ($22.5 million)
  6 RQ-11B Raven System ($1.6 million)
  18 RQ-28A System ($0.8 million)
  Total $106.5 million

SSAF Vehicles and Weapons
  16 MD530F ($96 million)
  1320 TOW missiles ($132 million)
  8 P.180 Avanti ($16 million)
  100 HMMWV ($1 million)
  20 LMTV 4x4 Truck ($1 million)
  32 FMTV 6x6 Truck ($2.4 million)
  12 HEMTT 8x8 Truck ($3.5 million)
  Total: $251.9 million
Der Hölle Rache kocht in meinem Herzen,
Tod und Verzweiflung flammet um mich her!
Fühlt nicht durch dich Jadefalke Todesschmerzen,
So bist du meine Tochter nimmermehr!

chanman

• Major
  • Architect of suffering
« Reply #541 on: 21 January 2024, 06:20:44 »
Real life facts: You can save money on blanks during combat exercises simply by having soldiers shout "BANG!" at each other!

You can also save wear and potential damage to rifles by using sticks. They're practically free!
http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/uk/757788.stm

More seriously, it depends on the goal of the training activity. Blanks or Simunition make for more realistic force-on-force training, but if you're practicing drills and maneuver, yelling BANG! may well suffice. Obviously, you can't do that if the goal is marksmanship training. Weapons like ATGMs or recoilless rifles should have a bunch of training accoutrements for practicing drills and such, from dummy systems and simulators to subcalibre adapters firing ballistically matched small arms ammo, saving expending live rounds for putting everything together. Even then, there might be training rounds that skip the warhead and fuse.
« Last Edit: 22 January 2024, 03:53:02 by chanman »

truetanker

• Lieutenant Colonel
  • Clan Hells Horses 666th Mech. Assualt Cluster
« Reply #542 on: 21 January 2024, 06:24:33 »
Remote controlled Spring Loaded Mortars come to mind...

Slap a round down and the Instructor would press a button simulating the launch. AKA Giant Nerf Artillery...

TT
Khan, Clan Iron Dolphin
Azeroth Pocketverse
That is, if true tanker doesn't beat me to it. He makes truly evil units.Col.Hengist on 31 May 2013
TT, we know you are the master of nasty  O0 ~ Fletch on 22 June 2013
If I'm attacking you, conventional wisom says to bring 3x your force.  I want extra insurance, so I'll bring 4 for every 1 of what you have :D ~ Tai Dai Cultist on 21 April 2016
Me: Would you rather fight my Epithymía Thanátou from the Whispers of Blake?
Nav_Alpha: That THING... that is horrid
~ Nav_Alpha on 10 October 2016

ANS Kamas P81

• Colonel
« Reply #543 on: 22 January 2024, 03:46:05 »
I wonder what kind of force-on-force training the SSLF is capable of doing; its two BGs combined are smaller than one brigade - maybe it can be the defender in a classic 3:1 engagement, but it's handcuffing its OPFOR for anything else.  And with the American pivot back to divisions as the core combat element, it's going to be even more dissimilar in unit sizes.

At least I can afford enough blanks and simunitions to use in infantry and vehicle training, as well as live rounds at the target range.  That's spending ammo at American rates, which includes combat expenditures, though limiting the amount of actual missiles being fired.

chanman

• Major
  • Architect of suffering
« Reply #544 on: 22 January 2024, 19:26:28 »
Speaking of small arms - below a certain size order, it's probably cheaper to just buy some examples and issue them to troops to test (say, seconded to OEF or OIF) to see what works/doesn't work.

In the case of most of those sub-million dollar purchases, it's cheaper to do it that one than just doing the paperwork of running full trials. Speaking of, here's a relic of one such "Buy it and try it". Surplus Armalite AR10T upper. COTS purchased for testing in Afghanistan. Probably had some influence on the adoption of 7.62mm ARs (C20 from Colt Canada).

Daryk

• Lieutenant General
  • The Double Deuce II/II-σ
« Reply #545 on: 22 January 2024, 19:37:25 »
I thought the M-14 was the OG 7.62 AR? ???

ANS Kamas P81

• Colonel
« Reply #546 on: 22 January 2024, 22:43:46 »
M14 was a modded Garand with a different gas system and a detachable magazine; the AR-10 is the original Armalite rifle in 7.62x51mm.

Daryk

• Lieutenant General
« Reply #547 on: 23 January 2024, 04:15:10 »
Ah, thanks! :)

truetanker

• Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #548 on: 23 January 2024, 15:50:02 »

HAMYAK ATV...

TT
Khan, Clan Iron Dolphin
Azeroth Pocketverse
That is, if true tanker doesn't beat me to it. He makes truly evil units.Col.Hengist on 31 May 2013
If I'm attacking you, conventional wisom says to bring 3x your force.  I want extra insurance, so I'll bring 4 for every 1 of what you have :D ~ Tai Dai Cultist on 21 April 2016

Daryk

• Lieutenant General
« Reply #549 on: 23 January 2024, 18:11:35 »
That's hilarious!  How heavy is it?

truetanker

• Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #550 on: 25 January 2024, 05:26:09 »
That's hilarious!  How heavy is it?

The all-terrain vehicle weighs 85 kg, and easily fits into the trunk of a car.

https://uazbuka.ru/models/vezdehod/Homiak/index.html

It is in Russian...

TT
« Last Edit: 25 January 2024, 05:29:04 by truetanker »
Khan, Clan Iron Dolphin
Azeroth Pocketverse

PsihoKekec

• Captain
  • Your spleen, give it to me!
« Reply #551 on: 25 January 2024, 05:46:43 »
Must be great for moving around during winter and mud seasons.
Shoot first, laugh later.

ANS Kamas P81

• Colonel
« Reply #552 on: 25 January 2024, 06:09:00 »
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ax_SKNmhNA8

Shame it's incapable of turning.  The handlebars are welded directly to that frame; the only way to steer it is to get off and reorient the machine yourself.  Doesn't look too heavy though, considering it gets off the ground and over those tree branches with only a little help from the rider.

Speaking of small arms - below a certain size order, it's probably cheaper to just buy some examples and issue them to troops to test (say, seconded to OEF or OIF) to see what works/doesn't work.

Yeah, I figure I'm doing that with the shotguns and some of the other small arms I'm equipping; there's only a couple hundred units to consider for the entire force. 

Speaking of the entire force, I worked out a spreadsheet for Serednya Slaviya's economy since its reformation in 1990.  It's based on Belarus, Poland, and Estonia's GDP and the current GDP of the five oblasts that make up the country.  It's kind of depressing, the earliest I can get a Battle Group together is 2005 - prior to that the active duty army is just a logistics force.  The money just isn't there, even spending over 2% GDP in the early years just to break even.  When Serednya Slaviya first saw the light of democracy in 1990, the GDP in total was just barely over two billion dollars, and didn't break ten billion until 2007...and even by 2024 still hasn't broken twenty billion.

I also failed at math, by 2023 my four support and two battle groups come to $1,197.2 million.  With some squeezing and multi-year procurement budgets, I come to a total amount of money of $1,557.8 million which leaves me $360.6 million for a computer network and incidentals.

The spreadsheet below lists off the spending.  Columns in order: Year, Belarus GDP, Poland GDP, Estonia GDP, Total GDP, Serednya Slaviya GDP, Annual Growth (last ten years), Annual Growth (total), Military Spending by GDP %, Serednya Slaviya's military spending in millions, Operations spending % of the budget, actual Operations spending in millions, dollar inflation prior to 2023, Actual Annual Pay per soldier, Total Personnel, Total Pay in millions, Budget for Facilities by %, Actual Budget for Facilities, Procurement by % of the budget, Actual Procurement in millions, Ammunition expenses, Food Expenses, and Remaining Procurement in millions.

truetanker

• Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #553 on: 25 January 2024, 06:35:31 »
Pimp my Ride has come to Serednya:

Link is the picture...

TT
Khan, Clan Iron Dolphin
Azeroth Pocketverse

ANS Kamas P81

• Colonel
« Reply #554 on: 25 January 2024, 06:42:58 »
Now if only they'd do that with a UAZ-469...

truetanker

• Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #555 on: 25 January 2024, 07:15:47 »

Close enough?

TT
Khan, Clan Iron Dolphin
Azeroth Pocketverse

ANS Kamas P81

• Colonel
« Reply #556 on: 25 January 2024, 09:43:19 »
That looks like something Clarkson would come up with.

chanman

• Major
  • Architect of suffering
« Reply #557 on: 25 January 2024, 11:43:05 »
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ax_SKNmhNA8

Shame it's incapable of turning.  The handlebars are welded directly to that frame; the only way to steer it is to get off and reorient the machine yourself.  Doesn't look too heavy though, considering it gets off the ground and over those tree branches with only a little help from the rider.

Yeah, I figure I'm doing that with the shotguns and some of the other small arms I'm equipping; there's only a couple hundred units to consider for the entire force. 

Speaking of the entire force, I worked out a spreadsheet for Serednya Slaviya's economy since its reformation in 1990.  It's based on Belarus, Poland, and Estonia's GDP and the current GDP of the five oblasts that make up the country.  It's kind of depressing, the earliest I can get a Battle Group together is 2005 - prior to that the active duty army is just a logistics force.  The money just isn't there, even spending over 2% GDP in the early years just to break even.  When Serednya Slaviya first saw the light of democracy in 1990, the GDP in total was just barely over two billion dollars, and didn't break ten billion until 2007...and even by 2024 still hasn't broken twenty billion.

I also failed at math, by 2023 my four support and two battle groups come to $1,197.2 million.  With some squeezing and multi-year procurement budgets, I come to a total amount of money of $1,557.8 million which leaves me $360.6 million for a computer network and incidentals.

The spreadsheet below lists off the spending.  Columns in order: Year, Belarus GDP, Poland GDP, Estonia GDP, Total GDP, Serednya Slaviya GDP, Annual Growth (last ten years), Annual Growth (total), Military Spending by GDP %, Serednya Slaviya's military spending in millions, Operations spending % of the budget, actual Operations spending in millions, dollar inflation prior to 2023, Actual Annual Pay per soldier, Total Personnel, Total Pay in millions, Budget for Facilities by %, Actual Budget for Facilities, Procurement by % of the budget, Actual Procurement in millions, Ammunition expenses, Food Expenses, and Remaining Procurement in millions.

Don't forget to account for Purchasing Power Parity. That'll apply to anything that's not an import, so your salaries and operational costs should all be adjusted accordingly.

ANS Kamas P81

• Colonel
« Reply #558 on: 25 January 2024, 12:02:37 »
Yeah, that's accounted for, though based off the 2023 figure - it's 11 hryvnia that has the purchasing power of the dollar, yet it's 37.64 hryvnia to the dollar right now, so I'm looking at an actual cost modifier of about 0.3 or so.

Daryk

• Lieutenant General
« Reply #559 on: 25 January 2024, 18:55:42 »
Something just occurred to me... did you get any kind of assistance for giving up your nukes?

ANS Kamas P81

• Colonel
« Reply #560 on: 26 January 2024, 00:48:07 »
That's a good question actually, one I hadn't considered.  It looks like only Ukraine hosted Soviet nukes, other than Cuba, and Serednya Slaviya was never an SSR like Ukraine was.  So I can get away with declaring that the Soviets never stationed nuclear weapons in-country, and there was nothing to give up.

truetanker

• Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #561 on: 26 January 2024, 06:37:23 »
Officially...

But could the Kremlin put in R-5Ms, (secretly?) ...

TT
Khan, Clan Iron Dolphin
Azeroth Pocketverse

ANS Kamas P81

• Colonel
« Reply #562 on: 26 January 2024, 10:39:08 »
Perhaps so, after a little research I found out that the R-5 was installed in East Germany and Crimea, and able to reach most of Western Europe.  So there's definitely precedent for it, and the kinds of security guarantees that come with giving up nukes would have helped Serednya Slaviya in the early 1990s when they could barely afford to keep the lights on.  Air launched missiles and gravity bombs, plus ICBMs, could be stationed there - there were 176 ICBMs in Ukraine, and a large number of ALCMs and gravity bombs as well.

That said, all that I'd get out of it is treaties, since there's no way that SS could maintain the weapons on its own - either by means of operating costs or the technology used in making them.  The weapons would be given back to Russia, along with their delivery systems.  No ICBMs, but the 260th Heavy Bomber Aviation Regiment of Tu-22Ms were stationed in Lviv historically.  That puts them in Serednya Slaviya for sure, and means that for a short time SS was a nuclear power like Ukraine.

That also tells me I have a military airfield in Lviv, the Stryi Air Base.  It's only a single runway, but I suppose it'd be a good place to base my attack helicopter squadron out of.

Historically the air base fell into ruin, with some of the buildings scrapped.  I would keep the airbase myself, refurbishing it and keeping it open.  If it operated Backfires, it can take pretty much any general jet aircraft, and probably would be the main military airfield in Serednya Slaviya.

So what would giving up 20 Backfires and their nuclear ordanance get me?  Well, I could see joining NATO earlier, with accession in 1999 along with Poland and Hungary.  That agreement to join NATO early was probably part of the reason they gave up the weapons in 1992, though political delays and bureaucratic inertia extended things out until the late 1990s for their accession.  I could see allowing Polish and Hungarian troops to rotate in-country since it's a short drive over the border, and the beginnings of an intramarium defense league - especially once Romania and the Baltics join in 2004.

Speaking of Hungary, I originally thought that Zakarpattia Oblast would be ceded to them, but I'm going to absorb it as part of Serednya Slaviya instead.  That adds two billion euros to the GDP of the country, and converting that into dollars gave a decent sized boost to the economy and allowed me to adjust the appearance of Serednya Slaviya's military sooner.  I still operate only a single Support Group and between 500-1,000 Air Force personnel until 2002, but add a second SG and increase the Air Force to 1,500 in 2008.  A third SG appears in 2014, and emergency budget increases raise a BG and two SGs in 2022 as a response to the Russian invasion.

I have $2,255.5 million for procurement across the years since 1991.  Three Battle Groups come to $892.2 million, and five Support Groups come to $305 million.  There's no changes to their equipment lists.  Enough weapons for the enlarged military come to $152.6 million, while the Air Force's weapons and TOW missiles come to $266.9 million.  I'm operating with 12,266 personnel in total between the SSLF and SSAF, so the below is sufficient for them.  All that comes to a total of $1,616.7 million, leaving me with $638.8 million left over for computer systems and data infrastructure as well as stockpiles of ammunition.

SSLF + SSAF Infantry Weapons
  12,500 Grot B rifle ($33.8 million)
  12,500 Interceptor body armor ($19.8 million)
  12,500 SSh-68 helmet (pre-owned)
  12,500 Bayonets ($0.3 million)
  12,500 Uniform Sets ($25 million)
  700 Glock 19 ($0.3 million)
  500 GP Grenade Launchers ($0.8 million)
  500 Mossberg 590 ($0.3 million)
  500 Ultimax 100 ($1.6 million)
  750 MG3 ($2.3 million)
  500 M2HB ($7 million)
  500 Mk 19 ($10 million)
  1000 AN/PVS-14 Nightvision Optic ($2.9 million)
  5,000 AT4 ($7.4 million)
  500 Spike SR missiles ($37.5 million)
  9 RQ-11B Raven System ($2.4 million)
  27 RQ-28A System ($1.2 million)
  Total $152.6 million

SSAF Vehicles and Weapons
  16 MD530F ($96 million)
  1470 TOW missiles ($147 million)
  8 P.180 Avanti ($16 million)
  100 HMMWV ($1 million)
  20 LMTV 4x4 Truck ($1 million)
  32 FMTV 6x6 Truck ($2.4 million)
  12 HEMTT 8x8 Truck ($3.5 million)
  Total: $266.9 million

Daryk

• Lieutenant General
« Reply #563 on: 26 January 2024, 18:43:44 »
Woo! It worked! :)

truetanker

• Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #564 on: 28 January 2024, 13:44:14 »
You think the SSAF could have bought some Chinese built Badgers? Some older Xi'an H-6's?

TT
Khan, Clan Iron Dolphin
Azeroth Pocketverse

chanman

• Major
  • Architect of suffering
« Reply #565 on: 28 January 2024, 14:44:03 »
You think the SSAF could have bought some Chinese built Badgers? Some older Xi'an H-6's?

TT

Not sure what role that would play? There's a reason most aircraft used by European countries are fairly short-ranged

ANS Kamas P81

• Colonel
« Reply #566 on: 28 January 2024, 17:50:33 »
What would I do with heavy bombers anyway?

truetanker

• Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #567 on: 28 January 2024, 22:56:35 »
Hangar Queens for one, but as a throwback, too old to continue use, too precious to throw away, so keep them. I mean, you cannibalized the only Squadron to keep a few frames in working order. Also, you might have a few Beriev A-50 (Mainstay).

TT
Khan, Clan Iron Dolphin
Azeroth Pocketverse

ANS Kamas P81

• Colonel
« Reply #568 on: 30 January 2024, 23:39:20 »
No, anything like that would have followed the Backfires back to the Russians.  I have an Air Force of 1,500 personnel, I'm stretching things just to have a single attack helicopter squadron and some (comfy) utility planes.  Remember how little money there is in the 1990s and early 2000s.

chanman

• Major
  • Architect of suffering
« Reply #569 on: 25 March 2024, 16:22:43 »
Topical: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UsdGJrpC5tA

Perun addresses Baltic militaries. They're both geographically close to Serednya Slaviya and of a similar size, although with the caveat that you won't have the same degree of financial resources unless you also went through a similar economic reform cycle.