Author Topic: naked and affraid  (Read 305 times)

garhkal

• Lieutenant Colonel
naked and affraid
« on: 15 April 2024, 01:07:59 »
Who here watches this tv show, that imo puts "Survivor" to shame?

Who would ever dare go on one, for a fan challenge??
Since i just passed the big 50, i highly doubt i could do it, but if i saw this show back when i was in my 20s, or 30s, i'd have LOVED To give it a shot.
It's not who you kill, but how they die!
You can't shoot what you can't see.
You can not dodge it if you don't know it's coming.

MoneyLovinOgre4Hire

• Lieutenant General
  • It's just my goth phase
Re: naked and affraid
« Reply #1 on: 15 April 2024, 16:33:00 »
Is that show still going on?  I remember it starting when I was in college.  Dumb show, IMO, but then most of the survival-themed reality shows have been.
Warning: this post may contain sarcasm.

"I think I've just had another near-Rincewind experience," Death, The Color of Magic

"When in doubt, C4." Jamie Hyneman

Daryk

• Lieutenant General
  • The Double Deuce II/II-σ
« Reply #2 on: 15 April 2024, 19:22:49 »
There was one show (I forget the name) way up north... the guy who won managed to bag a deer in his first week.  Unfortunately for him, that was the last one he saw.  He eked out the win by maybe a day or two.

garhkal

• Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #3 on: 15 April 2024, 23:07:57 »
Is that show still going on?  I remember it starting when I was in college.  Dumb show, IMO, but then most of the survival-themed reality shows have been.

How is it dumb, when these folks have to ACTUALLY survive, on their own.  Hunting for their food, building their shelters..

MoneyLovinOgre4Hire

• Lieutenant General
« Reply #4 on: 15 April 2024, 23:32:57 »
How is it dumb, when these folks have to ACTUALLY survive, on their own.  Hunting for their food, building their shelters..

A lot of former contestants on the show have stated that it actually wasn't- the locations they were taken to weren't nearly as remote as the show made it seem and on multiple occasions they received help from the camera crews that weren't mentioned on the show.

"I think I've just had another near-Rincewind experience," Death, The Color of Magic

monbvol

• Colonel
  • I said don't look!
« Reply #5 on: 16 April 2024, 10:30:10 »
A lot of former contestants on the show have stated that it actually wasn't- the locations they were taken to weren't nearly as remote as the show made it seem and on multiple occasions they received help from the camera crews that weren't mentioned on the show.

Not only that but various legalities and civil liabilities mean that certain minimums of safety must be met that run contrary to the premise of the show.

garhkal

• Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #6 on: 16 April 2024, 14:42:15 »

Interesting.  Didn't know that.

GRUD

• Captain
  • Quinn's Quads - 'Mechs on the March!
« Reply #7 on: 16 April 2024, 23:52:30 »
Several years back, a friend of my Dad's said he'd applied for an Episode of Survivor. Got to the Interview stage, but when he told them he was a Vietnam Veteran (US Army Infantry), they stopped him there.  :rolleyes: 

"Oh no, you're WAYYYYY too competent for our show! Thanks for your time."   :tongue:
To me, Repros are 100% Wrong, and there's NO  room for me to give ground on this subject. I'm not just an Immovable Object on this, I'm THE Immovable Object. 3D Prints are just 3D Repros.

Something to bear in Mind. Defending the BT IP is Frowned upon here.

Remember: Humor is NOT Tolerated here. Have a Nice Day!

Hey! Can't a guy get any Privacy around here!

MoneyLovinOgre4Hire

• Lieutenant General
« Reply #8 on: 17 April 2024, 00:43:11 »
I can believe it.  Survivor wasn't really a survival show, it was a game show on a beach.  They didn't want survival experts on the show because a bunch of idiots fumbling around because nobody in the cast practiced starting a fire without matches or a lighter is more amusing to most audiences.

garhkal

• Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #9 on: 17 April 2024, 00:50:22 »
I can believe it.  Survivor wasn't really a survival show, it was a game show on a beach.  They didn't want survival experts on the show because a bunch of idiots fumbling around because nobody in the cast practiced starting a fire without matches or a lighter is more amusing to most audiences.

I see survivor as big brother or the like, just on a beach somewhere...

dgorsman

• Captain
« Reply #10 on: 17 April 2024, 12:03:17 »
There was one show (I forget the name) way up north... the guy who won managed to bag a deer in his first week.  Unfortunately for him, that was the last one he saw.  He eked out the win by maybe a day or two.

Probably 'Alone'.
Think about it.  It's what we do.
- The Society

Thunder LRMs: the gift that keeps on giving.  They're the glitter of the BattleTech universe.

garhkal

• Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #11 on: 17 April 2024, 13:45:50 »
So who have watched it, ever thought they'd like to go On this show?

Register