Author Topic: Harmony Gold legal case discussion thread  (Read 89377 times)

Mech42ace

• Lieutenant
    • DeviantArt
Re: Harmony Gold legal case discussion thread
« Reply #420 on: 22 June 2018, 00:13:53 »
All I can say is that this has been an incredible month so far! I'm not even sure what to say... Except a huge thanks to PGI and congrats to those involved!
At Comstar we listen. It's that simple.

PreacherPatriot1776

• Sergeant
« Reply #421 on: 22 June 2018, 00:43:41 »
Derivatives are a violation of copyright.  The safest path would be a license to make derivatives of the original images.

You are ignoring the most basic aspect of copyright law when it comes to artwork which is scenes a faire which means things that are shared cannot be copyrighted. For example, all bipedal Mechs share the same characteristics which is 1 head, 1 torso, 2 arms, 2 legs, 2 hands, and 2 feet. Since all mechs share these characteristics they cannot be copyrighted on their own. They must be drawn with differences to qualify, as a whole, for copyright status. Take any two Mech designs that are different like the Wyvern and the Griffin. Both share the same characteristics of 1 head, 1 torso, 2 arms, 2 legs, 2 hands, and 2 feet. What makes them unique is how they are presented via the differences in those shared characteristics like the Wyvern has a more human-like head then the Griffin which has a more bubble head (Unseen). Are they derivatives? No, they are unique enough to be copyrightable.

If you really want to split hairs, all mechs are inspired by HG Wells' novel War of the Worlds which contains the very first mechs. The Martians used tripod mechs to attack Earth.

marauder648

• Lieutenant Colonel
    • Project Zhukov Fan AU TRO's and PDFs
« Reply #422 on: 22 June 2018, 01:25:48 »
Did someone say Thunderbolt?

Ghost Bears: Cute and cuddly. Until you remember its a BLOODY BEAR!

Project Zhukov Fan AU TRO's and PDFs - https://thezhukovau.wordpress.com/

Nastyogre

• Warrant Officer
  • Sons of the Suns, Defend your homes!
« Reply #423 on: 22 June 2018, 01:31:15 »
In celebration I will paint something. Probably dig out an unseen, I have a few.  Open my blister of the Classic Shadow Hawk too. Have to paint something in Fed Suns colors because the white hats won.  ;D

The Eagle

• Captain
  • This is what peak performance looks like!
« Reply #424 on: 22 June 2018, 06:01:38 »
Now that this crap seems to be settled, I can't wait to see our retcon Crusader!   :thumbsup:

Me too!  One of my favorite fire support Mechs.  I just hope they don't go full derp-hands like the Reseen.
RIP Dan Schulz, 09 November 2009.  May the Albatross ever fly high.

Hit me up for BattleTech in the WV Panhandle!

abou

• Captain
« Reply #425 on: 22 June 2018, 06:27:20 »
Guys, it is done done. It is official. The last entry on Pacer doesn't even have a docket number or PDF to download. It goes like this:

***Civil Case Terminated per parties'127 Stipulation of Dismissal with Prejudice. (PM)

Spenetrator

• Master Sergeant
« Reply #426 on: 22 June 2018, 06:31:03 »
I am so happy I am sat at work with an idiot grin on my face!

Geont

• Master Sergeant
« Reply #427 on: 22 June 2018, 06:46:21 »
NOW I am relieved. I hope that CGL will say soon more about what it means for tabletop Battletech.
Born in Czechoslovakia and living in Czechia (or Czech Republic).

Fan of FWL

Daryk

• Lieutenant General
  • The Double Deuce II/II-σ
« Reply #428 on: 22 June 2018, 07:33:02 »
Woo!  Now to find that champagne...

klarg1

• Captain
« Reply #429 on: 22 June 2018, 07:46:58 »
I'm super happy about the settlement news, but I'll celebrate when CGL and IWM start announcing plans for the remaining classics in print, plastic, and pewter.

Luciora

• Major
« Reply #430 on: 22 June 2018, 07:55:37 »
Hear hear!

I'm super happy about the settlement news, but I'll celebrate when CGL and IWM start announcing plans for the remaining classics in print, plastic, and pewter.

Wrangler

• Colonel
  • Dang it!
    • Battletech Fanon Wiki
« Reply #431 on: 22 June 2018, 08:38:03 »
I will feel better when CGL publicly says something.  Hope their damn right this time.
"Men, fetch the Urbanmechs.  We have an interrogation to attend to." - jklantern
"How do you defeat a Dragau? Shoot the damn thing. Lots." - Jellico 
"No, it's a "Most Awesome Blues Brothers scene Reenactment EVER" waiting to happen." VotW Destrier - Weirdo  
"It's 200 LY to Sian, we got a full load of shells, a half a platoon of Grenadiers, it's exploding outside, and we're wearing flak jackets." VoTW Destrier - Misterpants
-Editor on Battletech Fanon Wiki

MoneyLovinOgre4Hire

• Lieutenant General
  • It's just my goth phase
« Reply #432 on: 22 June 2018, 09:45:10 »
Woo!  Now to find that champagne...

Champagne?  This calls for a bottle of Glengerry Reserve.
Warning: this post may contain sarcasm.

"I think I've just had another near-Rincewind experience," Death, The Color of Magic

"When in doubt, C4." Jamie Hyneman

Kovax

• Captain
  • Taking over the Universe one mapsheet at a time
« Reply #433 on: 22 June 2018, 09:54:51 »
What we don't know is how many details were agreed behind closed doors, and are still a real part of the legal agreement without being disclosed publicly.  It's quite possible that some deal was struck regarding the "original" designs (such as "we won't do X if you won't do Y"), or that specific instances of the new artwork would or would not be "acceptable".  Until/unless the revised artwork is released, we really don't know all of the implications, and some of it may never be made public.

On the other hand, the current crop of new "classic" artwork that we've already seen appears to be safe.

In essence, the enemy has been defeated, and his disembodied spirit has fled to take shape in some other land at some other time.

I'm just disappointed that the local bartender can't mix a "PPC", which would be a thematically suitable way to celebrate, in my opinion.
« Last Edit: 22 June 2018, 09:57:15 by Kovax »

wolfspider

• Warrant Officer
« Reply #434 on: 22 June 2018, 11:03:01 »

I'm just disappointed that the local bartender can't mix a "PPC", which would be a thematically suitable way to celebrate, in my opinion.

Give your Bar Tender this :
PPC
 4 shots everclear
 1 shot of: peppermint schnapps (steiner)
            sake (kurita)
            ouzo (marik)
            plum wine (liao)
            bourbon (davion)
            tequila (capellan march)
I had a Bar Tender friend of mine mix this once for me, and WOW!  I went with the capellan march version. It was the only drink I needed for the night but cost me nearly $25.00
I may have a low amount of posts but I have a PHD in Battletech and mechs older then most people on this board!

Guroburov

• Corporal
« Reply #435 on: 22 June 2018, 11:03:26 »
I, personally, plan to celebrate by buying all these incredible figures.  I toasted CGL last night.   :thumbsup:

BlCharger

• Master Sergeant
« Reply #436 on: 22 June 2018, 13:35:29 »
It may be raining outside my window right now, but it's a beautiful day in my book.

I agree there are still some details we don't know. However, there's a bottle of bourbon with my name on it, and I'm going to celebrate.
"The Ghost Bears are one big, happy family. I am the crazy, fun loving aunt." - Star Captain Peri Rand.
"You can't write history without including mankind's incessant need to kill one another." - Dr. Jessica Kimball (Hopefully soon to be my canon character)

klarg1

• Captain
« Reply #437 on: 22 June 2018, 14:08:47 »
Give your Bar Tender this :
PPC
 4 shots everclear
 1 shot of: peppermint schnapps (steiner)
            sake (kurita)
            ouzo (marik)
            plum wine (liao)
            bourbon (davion)
            tequila (capellan march)
I had a Bar Tender friend of mine mix this once for me, and WOW!  I went with the capellan march version. It was the only drink I needed for the night but cost me nearly $25.00

He may also require you to sign a release...

glitterboy2098

• Lieutenant Colonel
    • The Temple Grounds - My Roleplaying and History website
« Reply #438 on: 22 June 2018, 14:55:06 »
interesting.. the same day that the case ends (and thus the lawyer's invoice gets determined), HG does a flash sale on robotech.com to sell a bunch of overpriced merchandise..

ThePW

• Lieutenant
  • One post down, a thousand to g... Oh we're here?
« Reply #439 on: 22 June 2018, 15:11:27 »
So where do we go from here? I'm been intentionally avoid this thread but, now? Nope. What happens now? I personally think it'll be the computer games taking that first step, not table top...
Even my Page posting rate is better than my KPD rate IG...

2Feb2023: The day my main toon on DDO/Cannith, an Artificer typically in the back, TANKED in a LH VoD.

Sartris

• Codex Conditor
  • BattleTech Volunteer
  • Colonel
  • Cap’n-Generalissimost
    • Master Unit List
« Reply #440 on: 22 June 2018, 15:17:38 »
The first step is clearly celebratory drinking. I would agree that since the computer games side of this did the heavy lifting, they should have honors on smashing the embargo. I assume there will be many meetings about how this can be integrated at best speed on all fronts.

You bought the box set and are ready to expand your bt experience. Now what? | Modern Sourcebook Index | FASA Sourcebook Index | Print on Demand Index
Equipment Reference Cards | DIY Pilot Cards | PaperTech Mech and Vehicle Counters

Interviewer: Since you’ve stopped making art, how do you spend your time?
Paul Chan Breathers: Oh, I’m a breather. I’m a respirateur. Isn’t that enough?

Cache

• Captain
    • Lords of the Battlefield
« Reply #441 on: 22 June 2018, 15:18:16 »
I personally think it'll be the computer games taking that first step, not table top...
Of course they will. It's a whole lot faster for them to produce and release content. The physical product pipeline takes a lot longer.

Fat Guy

• Major
  • I make beer disappear. What's your superpower?
« Reply #442 on: 22 June 2018, 15:46:38 »
The first step on our side of the house will probably be IWM putting the retcon Wasp back up for sale.

Until then...  :beer:
I have spoken.

ColBosch

• Lieutenant Colonel
  • Legends Never Die
« Reply #443 on: 22 June 2018, 15:53:32 »
The first step is to close this thread. The companies involved will make their announcements later, and those can be discussed in the usual news threads.
BattleTech is a huge house, it's not any one fan's or "type" of fans.  If you need to relieve yourself, use the bathroom not another BattleTech fan. - nckestrel
1st and 2nd Succession Wars are not happy times. - klarg1
Check my Ogre Flickr page! https://flic.kr/s/aHsmcLnb7v and https://flic.kr/s/aHsksV83ZP

Bedwyr

• A Sticky Wicket
  • Global Moderator
  • Lieutenant Colonel
  • RIP. Again. And again. And again.
« Reply #444 on: 22 June 2018, 15:59:36 »
Moderator here.

We'll keep an eye out to be sure, but this remains the best place to contain the conversation for now (run amok here rather than in umpteen other threads). As options and developments proliferate we'll look at closing the thread, but for now that's premature. The subject of conversation will naturally transition from technical legal material and on to other things. I think something of a mix is fine for now. If someone tries to derail things too far, we'll jump in but for moment carry on.
Alas poor Photobucket. I knew him Horatio, a fellow of infinite jest, of most excellent fancy.

wolfspider

• Warrant Officer
« Reply #445 on: 22 June 2018, 16:03:28 »
The first step is to close this thread. The companies involved will make their announcements later, and those can be discussed in the usual news threads.

Once we get the sign documents then I would say close it!
I may have a low amount of posts but I have a PHD in Battletech and mechs older then most people on this board!

MarauderD

• Major
« Reply #446 on: 22 June 2018, 16:08:49 »
According to Pacer, the case is dismissed. The inference is that therefore Zilly has signed the documents.

Pat Payne

• Lieutenant
  • 352nd Combat Group -- Ex cinis ad astra
« Reply #447 on: 22 June 2018, 16:09:04 »
Once we get the sign documents then I would say close it!

I kinda agree with Bedwyr here. This is Times Square on VJ Day for us. Rather than have the celebration take over all the threads, this is a good place to discuss what just happened, and look forward to the future.

I say leave it open till at least the announcements that the Classics are back on track and then close and archive it as a piece of board history.

Bedwyr

• A Sticky Wicket
  • Global Moderator
  • Lieutenant Colonel
  • RIP. Again. And again. And again.
« Reply #448 on: 22 June 2018, 16:14:56 »
I kinda agree with Bedwyr here. This is Times Square on VJ Day for us. Rather than have the celebration take over all the threads, this is a good place to discuss what just happened, and look forward to the future.

I say leave it open till at least the announcements that the Classics are back on track and then close and archive it as a piece of board history.

Well, to be clear it's a directive rather than me randomly musing. It's also an indicator to you guys that we're still watching like lifeguards and don't want horsing around to spread.
Alas poor Photobucket. I knew him Horatio, a fellow of infinite jest, of most excellent fancy.

Tymers Realm

• Lieutenant
« Reply #449 on: 22 June 2018, 16:41:22 »
Well if the Macross-Inspired Classics are out of legal issue now, two things can be done of CGL's part:
1) Can we see a TRO: Succession Wars Revised with said Classics included?
2) Can we have the remaining Unseen/Reseen given the Classic treatment so they can be included in the above Revised TRO, please?

I'm sure TPTB can give Shimm a little time from his official work to get those remaining Unseen/Reseen done.

Register