Author Topic: Raine's Rangers WIP  (Read 2122 times)

pupecki

• Sergeant
Raine's Rangers WIP
« on: 16 July 2018, 20:32:43 »
I wanted to go ahead and share the new unit I've been tossing around for the past couple weeks and wanted to get my ideas out to the community for some feedback. It's still a WIP and I'm currently still working on the unit's backstory. As for right now the time period is 3030 towards the start of the Andurien Secession. The basic gist for my mercs is that they are under the employ of the LC and are being "leased" to the Anduriens in order to disrupt the FWL and give the LC plausible deniability. Still working on all the details but at least in my head that ideas seems like it will give me a lot of interesting avenues to take the Ranger's down.

At the moment I have a tentative ToE for a combined arms battalion set up as follows:

1st BattleMech Company
Battle Company

Command Lance:
Battlemaster BLR-1G
Awesome AWS-8Q
Awesome AWS-8Q
Hunchback HBK-4G

Battle Lance:
Warhammer WHM-6R
Thunderbolt TDR-5S
Wolverine WVR-6M
Wolverine WVR-6M

Battle Lance:
Warhammer WHM-6R
Thunderbolt TDR-5S
Wolverine WVR-6M
Wolverine WVR-6M

2nd BattleMech Company
Support Company

Fire Support Lance:
Catapult CPLT-C1
Catapult CPLT-C1
Griffin GRF-1N
Griffin GRF-1N

Garrison / Anti-Air Lance:
Jagermech JM6-S
Shadow Hawk SDH-2H
Shadow Hawk SDH-2H
Blackjack BJ-1

Strike Lance:
Wolfhound WLF-1
Javelin JVN-10F
Commando COM-2D
Commando COM-2D

Reinforced Vehicle Support Company
Reinforced Vehicle Support Company

Heavy Vehicle Fire Lance:
Schrek PPC Carrier
Schrek PPC Carrier
Schrek PPC Carrier
Schrek PPC Carrier

Heavy Vehicle Battle Lance:
Bulldog Main Battle Tank
Bulldog Main Battle Tank
Bulldog Main Battle Tank
Bulldog Main Battle Tank

Reinforced Light Recon Lance:
Scimitar Medium Hover Tank
Scimitar Medium Hover Tank
Saracen Medium Hover Tank
Saracen Medium Hover Tank
Locust LCT-1V
Locust LCT-1V

Infantry Battalion
Mechanized Infantry Battalion

Mechanized Infantry Company:
Mechanized Rifle Platoon (Ballistic)(Hover)
Mechanized Rifle Platoon (Ballistic)(Hover)
Mechanized Rifle Platoon (Ballistic)(Tracked)

Mechanized Field Artillery Platoon (Wheeled)

Aerospace Squadron
Aerospace Support Squadron

Aerospace Flight:
Riever F-100a
Riever F-100a

Aerospace Flight:
Riever F-100a
Riever F-100a

I also made a quick mock-up in paint since seeing things visually helps me put the pieces together. Let me know what you think, I'm open to any and all suggestions!
« Last Edit: 17 July 2018, 16:08:58 by pupecki »

Iron Grenadier

• Warrant Officer
Re: Raine's Rangers WIP
« Reply #1 on: 17 July 2018, 03:04:53 »
I like it.

I might move the Battlemaster and Hunchback into a independent unit command lance, and see about pairing the two Awesome's with a couple of Stalker's or maybe Longbow's.

Or swap out the Awesome's with Marauder 3M's.

Arkansas Warrior

• Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #2 on: 17 July 2018, 10:22:30 »
I like it.

I might move the Battlemaster and Hunchback into a independent unit command lance, and see about pairing the two Awesome's with a couple of Stalker's or maybe Longbow's.

I like that idea, but rather than buying new mechs I’d just move the Locusts out of the vehicle company and put them into the Strike lance, moving other mechs around as appropriate.
Sunrise is Coming.

All Hail First Prince Melissa Davion, the Patron Saint of the Regimental Combat Team, who cowed Dainmar Liao, created the Model Army, and rescued Robinson!  May her light ever guide the sons of the Suns, May our daughters ever endeavour to emulate her!

pupecki

• Sergeant
« Reply #3 on: 17 July 2018, 11:08:42 »
I like it.

I like that idea aswell. I plan on buying two of each of the new starter sets when they final get released as well as trying to use up the mechs I have.

The mechs I have available are:

Archer
Orion
Grasshopper
Hatchetman/axeman
Dervish
Victor
Banshee BNC-3S
Marauder MAD-3R

In addition to the Hunchback, JagerMech, Blackjack, Wolfhound, and the Javelin already posted.

What do you think about moving the Hunchback and the Battlemaster to their own separate command lance and adding in a Marauder and either and Archer or Banshee?
« Last Edit: 17 July 2018, 13:36:27 by pupecki »

Arkansas Warrior

• Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #4 on: 17 July 2018, 11:22:13 »
I’d go with the Marauder and Banshee.  More PPCs (and a Gauss Rifle) fit that lance better than adding an LRM-heavy mech like the Archer.  I’d use some combination of Archer, Victor, and Axman to round out the new command lance.  You could make the whole group short-range bodyguards (VTR-9B, AXM-1N), or add indirect fire support (Archer, AXM-2N), or mix in some more direct fire (VTR-9K), depending on your vision for the command lance.
« Last Edit: 17 July 2018, 11:28:19 by Arkansas Warrior »
Sunrise is Coming.

All Hail First Prince Melissa Davion, the Patron Saint of the Regimental Combat Team, who cowed Dainmar Liao, created the Model Army, and rescued Robinson!  May her light ever guide the sons of the Suns, May our daughters ever endeavour to emulate her!

pupecki

• Sergeant
« Reply #5 on: 17 July 2018, 12:00:17 »
Also, I’m not opposed to buying a few new mechs to round out the force if anyone thinks something would make a good fit. I just don’t want to buy more than I need if possible.

Edit:
What do you guys think about something like this?

Command Lance:
BattleMaster BLR-1G
Orion ON1-K
Archer ARC-2S
Hunchback HBK-4G

Assault Lance:
Banshee BNC-3S
Awesome AWS-8Q
Awesome AWS-8Q
Marauder MAD-3R

Edit: Added updated visual TOE
« Last Edit: 17 July 2018, 20:05:41 by pupecki »

Iron Grenadier

• Warrant Officer
« Reply #6 on: 18 July 2018, 00:02:29 »
I like those changes

Daryk

• Lieutenant General
  • The Double Deuce II/II-σ
« Reply #7 on: 20 July 2018, 18:01:37 »
As far as the Battle Lances in the first battalion, I'd definitely put all four Wolverines in the same lance, and then pair up the others in their own lance.  That does put the hammer and anvil action above the individual lance level, but means you have a 5/8/5 lance you can use to plug holes anywhere in your formation.

Boomer8

• Corporal
  • Caballeros Forever!
« Reply #8 on: 27 July 2018, 14:25:36 »
in your Garrison/Anti-Air lance, why no Rifleman? It can serve as the fire director for the rest, as well as being really good at anti-air itself.
Victor W. Milan (1954-2018) Taken before he finished.

Arkansas Warrior

• Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #9 on: 27 July 2018, 20:04:49 »
in your Garrison/Anti-Air lance, why no Rifleman? It can serve as the fire director for the rest, as well as being really good at anti-air itself.
Is there any of that the JagerMech isn’t better at?  If I was going to do anything to the AAA lance, it’d be replacing the Shads with extra Blackjacks.
Sunrise is Coming.

Register