Author Topic: Looking for Mechwarrior 3 salvage info.  (Read 2359 times)

Stormforge

• Warrant Officer
Looking for Mechwarrior 3 salvage info.
« on: 07 August 2018, 08:54:26 »
Mechwarrior 3 was my reintroduction into the Battletech Universe after playing a single TT game years before. I am looking to recreate that game for a TT campaign, and am looking for pretty much any information on the individual missions. Mostly what salvage was found on each mission not including the units you destroy. Images of the maps would be helpful too, but I do remember most of them. I have found a couple good walkthroughs/guides from GameFAQs highlighting the missions and enemy forces. Any recommendations for the MFBs would be welcome, though I think I may just build a custom support vehicle. 300 tons of storage each, not including the gantry equipment and whatever else they have.

I do have the first mission Alone in the Dust by Ben Rome from the novelization Trial Under Fire, though I am not aware if any more were made after that. Should probably read the novel too, looking at the above mission some things are different.
« Last Edit: 17 September 2018, 15:02:45 by Stormforge »
If the enemy is in range most likely so are you.

NickAragua

• Master Sergeant
Re: Looking for Mechwarrior 3 salvage info.
« Reply #1 on: 07 August 2018, 09:25:03 »
May be a good excuse to revisit the "primary source material".

It's very difficult to separate the "free" salvage from the salvage you earn by blowing up enemy units, as I recall.

Stormforge

• Warrant Officer
« Reply #2 on: 07 August 2018, 10:02:18 »
Sadly I no longer own the game, and I hear Windows 10 is a pain to get it to run anyway. Looking at a few Let's Play videos, but nobody likes to scroll through the salvage in the AAR. As for what salvage is destroyed enemies or not, that would be a guess and looking at what was fought in the mission. The guides I found list the mech variants.

Thinking of doing a tracked Land Train support vehicle for the MFBs. 2 trailers to haul 150 tons each and the tractor portion with all the equipment. Trailers don't seem to currently be working in MM so will have to make them mobile too.

Possible Equipment
Enviromental Sealing
MFB module
Paramedic Equipment
2 salvage arms right side rear, left side rear
3 search lights rear, right side rear, left side rear
Communications Equipment

Found a play through that they do scroll through the salvage on a good portion of the missions. The HPG Uplink. Somewhere to start at least.
« Last Edit: 07 August 2018, 11:05:09 by Stormforge »

ThePW

• Lieutenant
  • One post down, a thousand to g... Oh we're here?
« Reply #3 on: 05 September 2018, 20:11:58 »
Even my Page posting rate is better than my KPD rate IG...

2Feb2023: The day my main toon on DDO/Cannith, an Artificer typically in the back, TANKED in a LH VoD.

Colt Ward

• Lieutenant General
  • Gott Mit Uns
    • Merc Periphery Guide- Bakunin
« Reply #4 on: 06 September 2018, 11:41:05 »
One of the problems that can sort of be overlooked is that the number of those IS machines should not be there- sub in SL and Clan equipment.  Also the Omnis are going to be more valuable since they are easier to repair and operate.

I want to say that Coleman wrote a fiction piece for it, not sure where you could find it however.
Colt Ward
Clan Invasion Backer #149, Leviathans #104

"We come in peace, please ignore the bloodstains."

"Greetings, Mechwarrior. You have been recruited by the Star League to defend the Frontier against Daoshen and the Capellan armada."

Stormforge

• Warrant Officer
« Reply #5 on: 07 September 2018, 23:42:57 »
One of the problems that can sort of be overlooked is that the number of those IS machines should not be there- sub in SL and Clan equipment.  Also the Omnis are going to be more valuable since they are easier to repair and operate.

I want to say that Coleman wrote a fiction piece for it, not sure where you could find it however.

That would be Trial Under Fire by Coleman. Have not read it yet. I knew that the game itself was not canon, but I never gave any thought to the use of IS mechs. Just kind of wrote them off as salvage brought back from the IS, used by a clan short on resources.

Running into other issues as well like the difference between pinpoint and RNG damage, the number of units in each mission, and using MM to deploy them in such a way to get a better pacing for each battle.

Going to have to give it a read and see if maybe I should make some changes towards it being more canon.
« Last Edit: 17 September 2018, 15:03:22 by Stormforge »

Colt Ward

• Lieutenant General
  • Gott Mit Uns
« Reply #6 on: 08 September 2018, 00:54:09 »
I was building a campaign for MM based on MechCommander, I built a substitute list for 3025 salvage, SL and Clan designs rather than the 'Jagermech' or something like the Hollander which was Lyran at the time.  I also switched things around so its not 10 Warhawks but rather mixed in Executioners, Dire Wolves, Kingfishers and I think a single Blood Asp but I would have to check.

To slow the activation, I would just have that bot not connected- a [ghost]- and when it reached the stage they would activate I connected the bot.

Fricking Jags killed one of the starting pilots in the first campaign and blew apart a pretty sweet Wolverine 6K mod.

Also, the Kit Fox did not do as much in the beginning as it would for you in MCG.
Colt Ward

"Greetings, Mechwarrior. You have been recruited by the Star League to defend the Frontier against Daoshen and the Capellan armada."

Stormforge

• Warrant Officer
« Reply #7 on: 18 September 2018, 03:28:48 »
I was building a campaign for MM based on MechCommander, I built a substitute list for 3025 salvage, SL and Clan designs rather than the 'Jagermech' or something like the Hollander which was Lyran at the time.  I also switched things around so its not 10 Warhawks but rather mixed in Executioners, Dire Wolves, Kingfishers and I think a single Blood Asp but I would have to check.

To slow the activation, I would just have that bot not connected- a [ghost]- and when it reached the stage they would activate I connected the bot.

Fricking Jags killed one of the starting pilots in the first campaign and blew apart a pretty sweet Wolverine 6K mod.

Also, the Kit Fox did not do as much in the beginning as it would for you in MCG.

Going back, looking at the game, and now just finishing the novel, I think I may mix up the mechs a bit. You would think they would have more varied selection of Draconis Combine salvaged mechs. No old Star League mechs from a Brian Cache either. The concentration of Firefly 4Bs (IS upgraded Wolf's Dragoons mech), Owens, Striders, Avatars, Orion Ms, Sunders, and Annihilator 2As (another IS upgraded Dragoons mech and lots of them) is kinda ridiculous now that I really look at both the game and the book. No Raptors, Panthers, Jenners, Hitmen, Kabutos, Spiders, Venom, and that is just in the light mechs.

I understand being a Front Line Galaxy they would want to be in an Omnimech at least, but did they really encounter them in those numbers? I think between 3 battles in a row in the book there were also around 5-6 Annihilators.  :o
« Last Edit: 18 September 2018, 03:58:26 by Stormforge »

Colt Ward

• Lieutenant General
  • Gott Mit Uns
« Reply #8 on: 18 September 2018, 04:44:02 »
Well . . . proud Jaguars would rather have a Clan standard mech than IS Omni I think.

Honestly you can find something that could be considered the equivalent of each of those mechs that is more Kurita flavor . . . like you were saying, make some of those Firefly Panthers or Jenners.  Kabutos came out later, Spider & Venoms were not that common, but could be fun.
Colt Ward

Stormforge

• Warrant Officer
« Reply #9 on: 18 September 2018, 07:43:29 »
Well . . . proud Jaguars would rather have a Clan standard mech than IS Omni I think.

Honestly you can find something that could be considered the equivalent of each of those mechs that is more Kurita flavor . . . like you were saying, make some of those Firefly Panthers or Jenners.  Kabutos came out later, Spider & Venoms were not that common, but could be fun.

Complete lack of IIC and other second line mechs too. Need to find a second line RAT for the Smoke Jaguars. I may replace an Annihilator or 2 with a Stone Rhino or such. Did a search and I saw Twilight of the Clans mentioned for complete Smoke Jaguar Galaxy Toumans to get examples of second line mechs they used.

Keep the majority of IS mechs in the early missions as you seem to be killing your way up the last of Alpha Galaxy's command structure. As in all the crap mechs roll down hill to the lowest warriors on the totem pole.
« Last Edit: 18 September 2018, 07:48:54 by Stormforge »

Colt Ward

• Lieutenant General
  • Gott Mit Uns
« Reply #10 on: 18 September 2018, 10:06:40 »
Well, even more early Clan mechs have come out since Serpent . . . my list from MCG would not quite work out b/c I kept some IS 3025 around for garrison units.
Colt Ward

Stormforge

• Warrant Officer
« Reply #11 on: 19 September 2018, 00:37:42 »
Hmmm...the MegaMek Team did release a handy-dandy Force Generator. No better time to finally put it to use.

Register