Author Topic: Sourcebooks - what do the (population of entirely unrepresentative) people want?  (Read 3052 times)

Sartris

• Codex Conditor
  • BattleTech Volunteer
  • Colonel
  • Cap’n-Generalissimost
    • Master Unit List
Which one underdeveloped topic in the btu would you like to see a

a) 150-200 page sourcebook written
b) PDF-exclusive series like xtros, tts, or turning points
c) a full-blown field manual

This is about what you want so whether something would be viable from a sales perspective is not germane to the discussion

You bought the box set and are ready to expand your bt experience. Now what? | Modern Sourcebook Index | FASA Sourcebook Index | Print on Demand Index
Equipment Reference Cards | DIY Pilot Cards | PaperTech Mech and Vehicle Counters

Interviewer: Since you’ve stopped making art, how do you spend your time?
Paul Chan Breathers: Oh, I’m a breather. I’m a respirateur. Isn’t that enough?

Tai Dai Cultist

• Lieutenant Colonel
I'd love to see a Kensai Kami campaign book.

Sartris

• Codex Conditor
  • BattleTech Volunteer
  • Colonel
  • Cap’n-Generalissimost
    • Master Unit List
I had originally meant to post this in general discussion but AS needs the love so I’ll keep it here.

You bought the box set and are ready to expand your bt experience. Now what? | Modern Sourcebook Index | FASA Sourcebook Index | Print on Demand Index
Equipment Reference Cards | DIY Pilot Cards | PaperTech Mech and Vehicle Counters

Interviewer: Since you’ve stopped making art, how do you spend your time?
Paul Chan Breathers: Oh, I’m a breather. I’m a respirateur. Isn’t that enough?

Scotty

• Alpha Strike Guru by appointment to the FWLM
  • Catalyst Demo Team
  • Colonel
The First Hidden War, complete with resurrecting the Solaris Dueling Rules for it (or a modernized equivalent).

MechWarrior TOP GUN is so cool.
Catalyst Demo Agent #679

Kansas City players, or people who are just passing through the area, come join us at the Geekery just off Shawnee Mission Parkway for BattleTech!  Current days are Tuesdays in the afternoon and evening.  I can't make every single week, but odds are pretty good that somebody will be there.

Tai Dai Cultist

• Lieutenant Colonel
MechWarrior TOP GUN is so cool.

That's what I said:  Kensai Kami :D

truetanker

• Lieutenant Colonel
  • Clan Hells Horses 666th Mech. Assualt Cluster
I wouldn't mind an early clan or dark caste trial by fire scenario book, and while most players would use straight from the book battles, how come the only way we can play early MechWarrior battles is from an older Battletech 2nd ed. canon book that now is considered out of print, that and CityTech?

How come we don't have an updated version of that Scenario listed in the 2nd ed.?

And I agree with Scotty, Solaris Dueling Rules, but with Non-Mech forces / what really happened when the Word attacked Solaris fight.

TT
Khan, Clan Iron Dolphin
Azeroth Pocketverse
That is, if true tanker doesn't beat me to it. He makes truly evil units.Col.Hengist on 31 May 2013
TT, we know you are the master of nasty  O0 ~ Fletch on 22 June 2013
If I'm attacking you, conventional wisom says to bring 3x your force.  I want extra insurance, so I'll bring 4 for every 1 of what you have :D ~ Tai Dai Cultist on 21 April 2016
Me: Would you rather fight my Epithymía Thanátou from the Whispers of Blake?
Nav_Alpha: That THING... that is horrid
~ Nav_Alpha on 10 October 2016

Scotty

• Alpha Strike Guru by appointment to the FWLM
  • Catalyst Demo Team
  • Colonel
To be fair: I wasn't suggesting actual Solaris Dueling Rules, because those are a record keeping nightmare.  There's a better way to do it.
Catalyst Demo Agent #679

Kansas City players, or people who are just passing through the area, come join us at the Geekery just off Shawnee Mission Parkway for BattleTech!  Current days are Tuesdays in the afternoon and evening.  I can't make every single week, but odds are pretty good that somebody will be there.

truetanker

• Lieutenant Colonel
  • Clan Hells Horses 666th Mech. Assualt Cluster
Well I thought you meant an up to date version of the old Solaris Boxset rules... where the MG could fire more than once per turn, something like every single phase of the turn, while a PPC once every end phase turn.

The Solaris 7 Mapset had better rules, but still obsolete by TW rules. If they could be updated to include the current ruleset, minor changes, at least they'll be fun again... just need to add more non-mech fights to the list is all...

TT

(EDIT): Meaning give us a PV2 / BV2 approach, most units on the MUL can be used, need a Cap limit for bouts and matches is all, per Class. Assigning these would give us players more fun. Also I wished they republish the " Death Rain Arena " with updated tech...
« Last Edit: 28 October 2018, 22:57:20 by truetanker »
Khan, Clan Iron Dolphin
Azeroth Pocketverse
That is, if true tanker doesn't beat me to it. He makes truly evil units.Col.Hengist on 31 May 2013
TT, we know you are the master of nasty  O0 ~ Fletch on 22 June 2013
If I'm attacking you, conventional wisom says to bring 3x your force.  I want extra insurance, so I'll bring 4 for every 1 of what you have :D ~ Tai Dai Cultist on 21 April 2016
Me: Would you rather fight my Epithymía Thanátou from the Whispers of Blake?
Nav_Alpha: That THING... that is horrid
~ Nav_Alpha on 10 October 2016

Elmoth

• Major
  • Periphery fanboy
A sourcebook on a small power. Like the Fronc Reaches, the Lothian League, the Illyrian Palatinate or some other power of that size along with a small campaign (chaos campaign?) regarding a turning point in their history. either their death or a military campaign they fought.

Major Headcase

• Lieutenant
  • We're paid to win. Heroism costs extra...
I'd just like to see the Combat Manual series finished....  :'(

NeonKnight

• Freelance Writer
  • Major
  • Cause Them My Initials!

Yes!
AGENT #575, Vancouver Canada

Valkerie

• Captain
  • Gravity always wins.
There is no avoiding war; it can only be postponed to the advantage of others.   -Machiavelli

Greetings, Mechwarrior!  You have been recruited by the Star League to defend the frontier against...Oops, wrong universe.  -unknown SLDF Recruiter

Because overkill is underrated my friend.  -John "Hannibal" Smith

Unit/Scheme of the Month Master Index

atlask

• Catalyst Demo Team
  • Sergeant

Agree along with spotlight books on units
Catalyst Demo Agent #881, Tulsa, OK

Azakael

• Warrant Officer
  • Brotherhood of Outreach - Until the Sword Breaks
I'll put a third to that.

Fourthed.

Otherwise, I'm happy when I see stuff that works for both AS and BT.

nckestrel

• Scientia Bellator
  • Freelance Writer
  • Lieutenant Colonel
Fourthed.

Otherwise, I'm happy when I see stuff that works for both AS and BT.

Upcoming Turning Points will hopefully make you happy then.
Alpha Strike Introduction resources
Left of Center blog - Nashira Campaign for A Game of Armored Combat, TP 3039 Vega Supplemental Record Sheets

wolfspider

• Warrant Officer

YES and double and triple YES!!!!!
I may have a low amount of posts but I have a PHD in Battletech and mechs older then most people on this board!

Waritec

• Recruit
Yes please!

ActionButler

• Global Moderator
  • Major

This is the correct answer.
Experimental Technical Readout: The School
http://bg.battletech.com/forums/index.php?topic=56420.0

Onion2112

• Sergeant
I Eighteth the combat manuals (if that's a word)

I've always wanted to see a book, maybe a historical on the pre Star League, Davion Civil War (I'm talking as far back as the early 90s - want)
It'd even make a good smallish ISaW scenario.

or even a Field Manual 2550ish ....just before the Star League - but with the author not knowing that there is soon to be mostly 200 years of peace in the inner sphere (excluding periphery)

Mecha-Anchovy

• Warrant Officer
An Age of War campaign guide.

We already have an Era Digest, but a full-scale Historical: Age of War, covering the birth of the great houses and their early wars, would make me very happy.

Register