Author Topic: Paint medium question (Ink vs. transparent paint)  (Read 1409 times)

Bedwyr

• A Sticky Wicket
  • Global Moderator
  • Lieutenant Colonel
  • RIP. Again. And again. And again.
Paint medium question (Ink vs. transparent paint)
« on: 24 January 2019, 17:26:53 »
I was just made aware of the existence of transparent paints. I do not have these and honestly would like to take a break from buying different store-bought mixtures for every technique. What I'd like to have in my skills toolkit is a candy/clearcoat metal appearance. What I've seen done in several examples is laying down a very smooth silver finish and then a transparent paint coat on top of that. Compared to inks, apparently inks are inclined to settle more in crevices. If I could take the inks I do have and mix them with a medium to make them perform similarly to transparents, could that be done with, say, a glaze or wash medium?
Alas poor Photobucket. I knew him Horatio, a fellow of infinite jest, of most excellent fancy.

pheonixstorm

• Major

pheonixstorm

• Major
Re: Paint medium question (Ink vs. transparent paint)
« Reply #2 on: 25 January 2019, 23:16:32 »
This video shows the metal medium in action https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kp8c2TFfRgE

I did pick up the vallejo metal and glaze mediums today so will try them both out at some point I was kinda surprised to see them at the local hobby lobby (went for pinewood derby supplies, son has a race tomorrow).

Trying to think of what I can use the two on but coming up blank for the most part. Do you have a link to the effect you are trying to get?

Nomad

• CamoSpecs
  • Sergeant
Re: Paint medium question (Ink vs. transparent paint)
« Reply #3 on: 26 January 2019, 03:30:39 »
There are a few different techniques you can use. I’ve washed both inks and paints over metal, and I’ve also mixed up colored metallics with Vallejo’s metallic medium. I think if you want to stick with ink washes over silver, you can use ink mixed with Future floor wax to get a more even coat. Conversely, if you want to lower an ink’s surface tension you add a drop of diswashing liquid to make it flow better into cracks and crevices. The ink technique can generate some nice effects. I do suggest diluting them wih a bit of water to lower the intensity. You can also add some liquitex or other matte medium, but I tend to use those only with glazes and washes where I want to carefully control the blending. As I said, there are a lot of different ways you can approach this - I do think ink over silver can give you some nice results. You’ll get a good strong color from the ink, they flow easy, and cover evenly. Regular paint washes and glazes are sometimes trickier to get noce even coats with.
« Last Edit: 26 January 2019, 18:15:50 by Nomad »

Register