Author Topic: Can’t hit What You Cannot See  (Read 2759 times)

NeonKnight

• Freelance Writer
  • Major
  • Cause Them My Initials!
Can’t hit What You Cannot See
« on: 15 September 2019, 10:52:07 »
This is a scenario I ran yesterday locally here in Vancouver Canada:

First up is the Board as set up. I did not hand out 'Mech etc until after players were present as this was a scenario with each side having their own objectives and obviously did not want the other side knowing...of course can;t stop some players from blurting it out during play. :(

The Scenario details as follows:

CANOPIAN PLAYERS

DETROIT CONSOLIDATED MECHWORKS RESEARCH BASE
DETROIT PROVING GROUNDS, DETROIT
MAGISTRACY OF CANOPUS
15 JUNE 3062

In partnership with the Capellan Confederation’s Fredonian Industrial Technologies, Detroit Consolidated MechWorks has been working the past few years in the implementation a new light Battlemech, the ANUBIS ABS-3L, utilising cutting edge technology, STEALTH ARMOR.

The system has been prone to extreme overheating, and technicians are currently fine tuning the prototype, and are preparing for additional field tests later in the day.

In late morning hours a dropship bearing Taurian Colors landed a few kilometers from the base, in an unscheduled visit. Long range scans have shown they have dispatched 2 lances of mechs towards the base. It only became apparent a few hundred meters from the base that this was not a friendly visit when the Taurian ‘Mechs opened up on the sentries.

MISSION OBJECTIVES:

ANUBIS:
It is tantamount that the Anubis NOT be captured, however fate has dealt DCMw with a boon, a Live-Fire Combat Scenario, and it would be prudent to have the Anubis engage in actual combat. To that end, the Anubis is requested to make at least one (1) successful attack before it can flee the field to Safety.
The Anubis has no pilot at the start of the scenario and will not be powered up/piloted up until the 4th round.

CAPTURE THE TRAITORS:
It is unknown why the Taurian’s chose to break the alliance with both the Capellan Confederation and the Magistracy. To that end you have been requested to capture any and all enemy pilots for questioning. This can be done by destroying/crippling an enemy ‘Mech and/or capturing ejected pilots.

The Players had the base with limited swivel turrets (3 Gauss Turrets and 3 LRM 20-Aretemis turrets - could not fire into the base)

TAURIAN PLAYERS

DETROIT CONSOLIDATED MECHWORKS RESEARCH BASE
DETROIT PROVING GROUNDS, DETROIT
MAGISTRACY OF CANOPUS
15 JUNE 3062

It seems that the Capellans and their allies the Magistracy of Canopus and the Taurian Concordant are striving to replicate the Stealth Armor technologies of the Combine and the Commonwealth. Not wanting to be left out of the loop, the Free Worlds League has deigned to attempt to capture a new prototype on Detroit.

After refitting two lances of 'Mechs with Taurian IFFs and repainting with Taurian colors, the FWL has landed near the research base where that have learned the prototype is slated for further field tests. The purpose of the raid is two-fold: ONE – to capture the protoype; TWO – to ferment distrust in the 3-way alliance between Canopus, The Concordant and the Confederation.

After landing on Detroit unopposed, their lances have approached within meters of the base, the surprise complete.

MISSION OBJECTIVES

CAPTURE THE ANUBIS:
The Venom Battlemech currently is carrying another pilot (2-3) whose mission is to infilitrate the base and capture the Anubis mech. If the Venom can get adjacent to the ANUBIS the pilot can entre the Anubis at the end of the round. The Venom cannot make any attacks in the round this happens, and the Anubis will be able to act the following turn.

One captured, the Anubis has been directed to exit the base immediately and attempt to escape, engaging in combat is extremely frown upon and may only engage in combat if pressed (i.e. an enemy unit is blocking the only path to escape, physical combat, etc.) the Anubis can escape off any edge except the Enemy’s Home Edge.

LEAVE NO MAN BEHIND:
No matter what, no pilot must be left behind. As a result the FWL Forces are operating under FORCED WITHDRAWAL

The Scenario started with the Anubis in the Mech Bay, powered up, but without a pilot. It would take the Canopians 4 rounds to get a pilot to the 'Mech.

To make the Anubis more a prototype, I ruled that the stealth armor was still not functioning correctly and each turn it was running with the STEALTH engaged, the controlling player had to roll a d6, and on a result of 5-6 it generated an additional 5 points of heat (15 heat instead of the standard 10 for stealth armor).

The Canpoians set up in the base as the 'Taurians' arrive.

The Taurians are within striking distance of the base, and have removed two of the LRM turrets already

The Taurians have successfully captured the Anubis 'Mech and are fleeing the base - Canopians hot on their trail

Unfortunately, the Taurians did not plan for the immenint back shot from the Cyclops with it's gauss rifle, destroying the prototype.

As a result it was a minor victory for the Canopians as they had a few captured pilots to question.

AFTER SCENARIO THOUGHTS

I like the scenario, it was fun for both sides, but as It played out, I obviously found a few situations that I would tweak here and there.

So, I will likely be running again in the future, but with additional changes.
AGENT #575, Vancouver Canada

Daryk

• Lieutenant General
  • The Double Deuce II/II-σ
Re: Can’t hit What You Cannot See
« Reply #1 on: 15 September 2019, 12:36:28 »
Darn Gauss Rifles...  :D

You'll definitely need to tweak the objectives since you've posted them here.  Interesting scenario!  :thumbsup:

Register