Author Topic: When passengers block a shot at a vehicle can it still cause a motive hit?  (Read 1078 times)

Iceweb

• Warrant Officer
  • Lyran Engineer
I can't remember if I asked about this before but I saw this in my latest game

Code: [Select]

Weapons fire for Havoc HVC-P6 (Marc)
    ER Medium Laser at Bandit (C) Hovercraft Prime (Princess); needs 2, rolls 5 : hits  (using Right Side table) RS
        Bandit (C) Hovercraft Prime (Princess) takes 5 damage to RS.
            The passenger, Gnome Battle Armor (Standard) #8 (Princess), gets in the way.
                Gnome Battle Armor (Standard) #8 (Princess) takes 5 damage to Trooper 1.
                    9 Armor remaining.
            40 Armor remaining.
            Chance for motive system damage. Roll is 13; (w/ +5 bonus)
             Major damage, vehicle immobile.

The passenger blocks the shot, and the hover takes no damage.  However it still takes a motive crit and is immobilized. 

While I guess such a thing could happen, it seems rather unlikely. 

Simon Landmine

• Lieutenant
  • Enthusiastic mapmaker
If it was an RPG I'd rule that some of Trooper 1's armour got stuck in the lift fan ... but you're right, it does seem like an odd result! Hmm ...
"That's Lieutenant Faceplant to you, Corporal!"

Things that I have learnt through clicking too fast on 'Move Done' on MegaMek: Double-check the CF of the building before jumping onto it, check artillery arrival times before standing in the neighbouring hex, and don't run across your own minefield.

"Hmm, I wonder if I can turn this into a MM map."

Hammer

• Numerorum Malleo
  • Global Moderator
  • Major
    • MegaMek Website
I can't remember if I asked about this before but I saw this in my latest game

Code: [Select]

Weapons fire for Havoc HVC-P6 (Marc)
    ER Medium Laser at Bandit (C) Hovercraft Prime (Princess); needs 2, rolls 5 : hits  (using Right Side table) RS
        Bandit (C) Hovercraft Prime (Princess) takes 5 damage to RS.
            The passenger, Gnome Battle Armor (Standard) #8 (Princess), gets in the way.
                Gnome Battle Armor (Standard) #8 (Princess) takes 5 damage to Trooper 1.
                    9 Armor remaining.
            40 Armor remaining.
            Chance for motive system damage. Roll is 13; (w/ +5 bonus)
             Major damage, vehicle immobile.

The passenger blocks the shot, and the hover takes no damage.  However it still takes a motive crit and is immobilized. 

While I guess such a thing could happen, it seems rather unlikely. 

You took a side hit and likely got a mandatory Motive System damage hit per the table on pg 193 of TW. Then the roll to the motive damage table with a +5 mod (+2 for side hit, and +3 for being a hover)

The issue comes from the rules on pg 227.  Which states damage takes place to the BA before the unit. But it doesn't cover the special damage.

My take is this - Golem takes the laser hit and while it their armor absorbs the damage, for a second they are dislodged and while flopping around getting their hold back they damage the skirt and the hover is made immobile.

I would recommend asking the question in rules forums (Total Warfare section) and getting a clarification. If the ruling changes things we would then treat it as a bug and resolve it.

MegaMek Projects Wiki
Bug Trackers
MegaMek Tracker
MekHQ Tracker
MegaMekLab Tracker
New Units and RAT's aren't added until after the 2 month release moratorium is passed.
Join the official MegaMek Discord

dgorsman

• Captain
For reference, there was a recent similar question regarding Infernos vs. vehicles and motive hits.  This probably falls under the same idea.
Think about it.  It's what we do.
- The Society

Thunder LRMs: the gift that keeps on giving.  They're the glitter of the BattleTech universe.

Iceweb

• Warrant Officer
  • Lyran Engineer
I was the shooter but that isn't important. 

And yes I could see that a hover (or VTOL/WIGE) getting it's control surfaces messed up by a flailing suit trying to recover from being tagged with 1.21 gigawatts.  I'm having more issue seeing that be realistic against a wheeled or tracked combat vehicle.  Unless maybe it tore off a limb from the suit and it got lodged in the track.  Of course that would probably render the suit combat ineffective, or maybe not TW doesn't track at that level.   

Random thought could you make an omni-submarine and hang suits off of it to soak hits to try to prevent breach checks?  Sure an omni-mech carrying suits in vacuum would be subject to the same rules, but the omni-sub makes me laugh.     

Simon Landmine

• Lieutenant
  • Enthusiastic mapmaker
Random thought could you make an omni-submarine and hang suits off of it to soak hits to try to prevent breach checks?  Sure an omni-mech carrying suits in vacuum would be subject to the same rules, but the omni-sub makes me laugh.   

Reclassifying a marine unit as ablative armour?
"That's Lieutenant Faceplant to you, Corporal!"

Things that I have learnt through clicking too fast on 'Move Done' on MegaMek: Double-check the CF of the building before jumping onto it, check artillery arrival times before standing in the neighbouring hex, and don't run across your own minefield.

"Hmm, I wonder if I can turn this into a MM map."

Hammer

• Numerorum Malleo
  • Global Moderator
  • Major
    • MegaMek Website
And yes I could see that a hover (or VTOL/WIGE) getting it's control surfaces messed up by a flailing suit trying to recover from being tagged with 1.21 gigawatts.  I'm having more issue seeing that be realistic against a wheeled or tracked combat vehicle.  Unless maybe it tore off a limb from the suit and it got lodged in the track.  Of course that would probably render the suit combat ineffective, or maybe not TW doesn't track at that level.   

As I mentioned this would need to be a rules clarification.  But having different standard for each vehicle type is going to be too granular for the rules.
MegaMek Projects Wiki
Bug Trackers
MegaMek Tracker
MekHQ Tracker
MegaMekLab Tracker
New Units and RAT's aren't added until after the 2 month release moratorium is passed.
Join the official MegaMek Discord

Register