Author Topic: (Answered) Determining Unit Role: Striker or Skirmisher?  (Read 2075 times)

Tai Dai Cultist

• Lieutenant Colonel
I was preparing a possible erratum submission for a mech classified as a Striker that I felt should be classified as a Skirmisher.  In researching the submission, I stumbled across something that I feel has to itself be in error, but can't possibly answer on my own how it should actually read.

The rules governing what role to assign a converted unit for Strikers and Skirmishers are both on page 136 of the Alpha Strike Companion.

The mech in question has a MV of 12", 5 armor, and a 3/3/1 damage band.  It qualifies for both!  The MUL card picks Striker, though.

Question 1: Is it correct to presume that when force building rules are in effect (ASC 146-156) one may only use the role printed on the official card, even if the unit qualifies for other roles?

Question 2: The rules governing what converts into the Striker role state that the move value shall be 9-12".  That can't possibly be right, as plenty of Strikers are out there go faster than 12".  I presume errata should be issued for that line?

Question 3: Potentially a harder question than the two preceding: If a converted unit qualifies for multiple roles, what is the order of precedence for determining which role the unit shall have?  I presume in the case of canonical units you always go with what the MUL says... but the section in ASC is organized as if you have a role you want to fulfill rather than a card that needs a role determined.  How should a non-official/custom unit reconcile candidacy for multiple roles?
« Last Edit: 22 June 2017, 04:29:55 by Xotl »

nckestrel

• Scientia Bellator
  • Lieutenant Colonel
Re: Determining Unit Role: Striker or Skirmisher?
« Reply #1 on: 19 June 2017, 16:47:42 »
All of the roles are subjective, sometimes done purely to match fluff or just a "holistic" look at the unit. The stats listed are guidelines, not rules.
Alpha Strike Introduction resources
Left of Center blog - Nashira Campaign for A Game of Armored Combat, TP 3039 Vega Supplemental Record Sheets

Tai Dai Cultist

• Lieutenant Colonel
Re: Determining Unit Role: Striker or Skirmisher?
« Reply #2 on: 19 June 2017, 16:52:06 »
All of the roles are subjective, sometimes done purely to match fluff or just a "holistic" look at the unit. The stats listed are guidelines, not rules.

Interesting.  I suppose then that it's just a case of the force building rules never were intended to be a bullet-proof/tourney scene kind of a thing? I mean, something being a Scout vs a Skirmisher vs a Striker can have big mechanical impact under those rules.

Anyway, I suppose I was looking for insight into the developers' heads and I thank you for sharing it. 

(I still think you guys need to evaluate changing the Striker speed line though, just a suggestion!)

Register