Author Topic: Inner Spehere SRM Tanks versus Mechs  (Read 14485 times)

Sartris

• Codex Conditor
  • BattleTech Volunteer
  • Colonel
  • Kid in the puddle eating mud of CGL contributors
    • Master Unit List
Re: Inner Spehere SRM Tanks versus Mechs
« Reply #60 on: 19 July 2019, 11:31:37 »
Anything nonindustrial or military is ‘medium’ in my mind and gets 40CF for sanity’s sake. If you wanted to get specific, you can go all the way up to 90 before it becomes a heavy structure

You bought the box set and are ready to expand your bt experience. Now what? | Modern Sourcebook Index | FASA Sourcebook Index | Print on Demand Index
Equipment Reference Cards | DIY Pilot Cards | PaperTech Mech and Vehicle Counters

Interviewer: Since you’ve stopped making art, how do you spend your time?
Paul Chan Breathers: Oh, I’m a breather. I’m a respirateur. Isn’t that enough?

Kovax

• Captain
  • Taking over the Universe one mapsheet at a time
« Reply #61 on: 19 July 2019, 13:44:04 »
Anything nonindustrial or military is ‘medium’ in my mind and gets 40CF for sanity’s sake. If you wanted to get specific, you can go all the way up to 90 before it becomes a heavy structure
...so you're going to need quite a few hexes of parking garage to hold a company of Hetzers, and not all 12 are going to be able to target the same hex at once, unless you arrange them around a central plaza.  90 CF means two Hetzers per hex without collapsing the building, with 10 CF to spare in case of damage.  Still, three MLs at the section of the building, and you're out those 2 Hetzers, so the ambush had better be worth it.

Colt Ward

• Lieutenant General
  • Gott Mit Uns
    • Merc Periphery Guide- Bakunin
« Reply #62 on: 19 July 2019, 15:25:42 »
Well, BT does not model buildings very well IMO . . . and the parking garage is the worst one.  Its why I ask if anyone knows the IRL weight to CF conversion ratios they use.
Colt Ward
Clan Invasion Backer #149, Leviathans #104

"We come in peace, please ignore the bloodstains."

"Greetings, Mechwarrior. You have been recruited by the Star League to defend the Frontier against Daoshen and the Capellan armada."

snakespinner

• Captain
« Reply #63 on: 19 July 2019, 20:53:45 »
IRL they vary, depending on what type of vehicles can enter.
One local car park has a 40 ton limit as large trucks can go to the 3rd floor where there is a loading dock.
Normally though they vary from 10 to 20 ton limit.
I wish I could get a good grip on reality, then I would choke it.
Growing old is inevitable,
Growing up is optional.
Watching TrueToaster create evil genius, priceless...everything else is just sub-par.

MoneyLovinOgre4Hire

• Lieutenant General
  • It's just my goth phase
« Reply #64 on: 19 July 2019, 21:47:44 »
Battletech parking structures are built to support more weight, in order to accommodate all the Rotundas that are disguised as civilian cars.
Warning: this post may contain sarcasm.

"I think I've just had another near-Rincewind experience," Death, The Color of Magic

"When in doubt, C4." Jamie Hyneman

Colt Ward

• Lieutenant General
  • Gott Mit Uns
« Reply #65 on: 20 July 2019, 00:35:28 »
One other thing to consider would be when/where the parking garage is built . . . per fluff & fiction, some planets build their residential buildings with the requirements for defense in mind.
Colt Ward

"Greetings, Mechwarrior. You have been recruited by the Star League to defend the Frontier against Daoshen and the Capellan armada."

Nightsong

• Warrant Officer
« Reply #66 on: 23 July 2019, 15:01:37 »
Honestly LRM And SRM carriers are a PB&Jcombo. The only thing scarier would be a company composed of a Lance of NARC-compatible LRM carriers, Lance of SRM carriers, 2 Demolishers and 2 fast NARC carriers. NARCers start spotting targets for the LRMs, and the SRM carriers and Demolishers brown the pants of anyone trying to shut the LRM carriers up. Put them in some built up terrain, and yell bring it over an open frequency.

Colt Ward

• Lieutenant General
  • Gott Mit Uns
« Reply #67 on: 23 July 2019, 15:25:22 »
Tufana . . . fun on rollerskates!
Colt Ward

Kovax

• Captain
  • Taking over the Universe one mapsheet at a time
« Reply #68 on: 24 July 2019, 13:54:47 »
Honestly LRM And SRM carriers are a PB&Jcombo. The only thing scarier would be a company composed of a Lance of NARC-compatible LRM carriers, Lance of SRM carriers, 2 Demolishers and 2 fast NARC carriers. NARCers start spotting targets for the LRMs, and the SRM carriers and Demolishers brown the pants of anyone trying to shut the LRM carriers up. Put them in some built up terrain, and yell bring it over an open frequency.
"Well, you asked for it.  Incoming artillery rounds in 5, 4, 3, 2, 1 second...."

snakespinner

• Captain
« Reply #69 on: 25 July 2019, 00:54:25 »
Warning, friendly fire incoming. >:D
I wish I could get a good grip on reality, then I would choke it.
Growing old is inevitable,
Growing up is optional.
Watching TrueToaster create evil genius, priceless...everything else is just sub-par.

SCC

• Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #70 on: 25 July 2019, 06:23:35 »
...so you're going to need quite a few hexes of parking garage to hold a company of Hetzers, and not all 12 are going to be able to target the same hex at once, unless you arrange them around a central plaza.  90 CF means two Hetzers per hex without collapsing the building, with 10 CF to spare in case of damage.  Still, three MLs at the section of the building, and you're out those 2 Hetzers, so the ambush had better be worth it.
The limit is buildings CF per LEVEL, so a 40 CF building that is 12 levels tall would actually work.

Dave Talley

• Major
« Reply #71 on: 25 July 2019, 14:20:04 »
also rules of engagement
if wanting to keep/liberate the area, you may be ordered to minimize
property damage
if just raiding to raise hell, just roll a few pallets of bombs out
the back of a Karnov flying overhead
Resident Smartass since 1998
“Toe jam in training”

Because while the other Great Houses of the Star League thought they were playing chess, House Cameron was playing Paradox-Billiards-Vostroyan-Roulette-Fourth Dimensional-Hypercube-Chess-Strip Poker the entire time.
JA Baker

Sartris

• Codex Conditor
  • BattleTech Volunteer
  • Colonel
  • Kid in the puddle eating mud of CGL contributors
    • Master Unit List
« Reply #72 on: 25 July 2019, 14:25:33 »
playing most of my urban combat in the periphery as a petty warlord has granted me a vastly expanded notion of "acceptable collateral damage"

You bought the box set and are ready to expand your bt experience. Now what? | Modern Sourcebook Index | FASA Sourcebook Index | Print on Demand Index
Equipment Reference Cards | DIY Pilot Cards | PaperTech Mech and Vehicle Counters

Interviewer: Since you’ve stopped making art, how do you spend your time?
Paul Chan Breathers: Oh, I’m a breather. I’m a respirateur. Isn’t that enough?

Dave Talley

• Major
« Reply #73 on: 25 July 2019, 14:44:55 »
of course you own the cement plant and the construction and recycling companies?
;-)
Resident Smartass since 1998
“Toe jam in training”

Because while the other Great Houses of the Star League thought they were playing chess, House Cameron was playing Paradox-Billiards-Vostroyan-Roulette-Fourth Dimensional-Hypercube-Chess-Strip Poker the entire time.
JA Baker