Author Topic: (Answered) IO - Ablative Armour on non-ground units  (Read 2599 times)

UnLimiTeD

• Captain
(Answered) IO - Ablative Armour on non-ground units
« on: 19 August 2016, 07:01:08 »
Is there any point in using Anti-Penetrative Ablation Armour on, say, an Aerospace Fighter?
Quote from: Field Manual 3145, p.241
As long as the location struck still has at least 1 point of armor remaining, ABA Armor applies an additional –2 roll
modifier to the Critical Hit Check for all attacks made by weapons with armor-piercing abilities...
Now, as far as I understand there is no way to fire at fighters with AP-Ammo, as they themselves can not use(TW p.238) it and it has no effect when used by ground units:
Quote from: Total Warfare, p.140
Aerospace units: Armor-piercing ammo has no effect against aerospace units.
Then, page 238/239 goes into details on the ways a fighter can be crit, including damage thresholds. I assume, however, that that doesn't count as "armour piercing capability".
I am not sure about Capital missiles, however, which get an extra roll, and I'm not sure about lucky hits, either, which seem to work like they do on the ground, and on the ground they count as "AP".
Am I correct to assume that 'Anti-Penetrative Ablation Armour' has no actual effect on Aerospace fighters, or was that a premature conclusion?

Quote from: original post
Edit: I'm reasonably certain this is the wrong forum. Could it be moved somewhere more appropriate? When in doubt, deletion would also be ok.

So, uh, hi? Never been in this section of the forums before.

Is there any point in using Anti-Penetrative Ablation Armour on, say, an Aerospace Fighter?
It says it grants a penalty to incoming critchecks, but if it's indeed only with AP ammo, I guess by common rules that happens exactly never?
I didn't find anything on the topic on these boards, but I might have misspelled it or something.
Any ideas?
« Last Edit: 08 May 2021, 21:17:54 by Xotl »
Savannah Masters are the Pringles of Battletech.
Ooo! OOOOOOO! That was a bad one!...and I liked it.

Welshman

• Mostly Retired Has Been
  • Freelance Writer
  • Lieutenant Colonel
Re: Ablative Armour on non-ground units
« Reply #1 on: 20 September 2016, 16:32:45 »
Can you give a book and page reference? We don't answer anything without those.
-Joel BC-
Catalyst Freelancer (Inactive)

"Some closets will never contain Narnia, no matter how many times we open the door." - Weirdo, in relation to the power of hope.

UnLimiTeD

• Captain
Re: (Waiting) Ablative Armour on non-ground units
« Reply #2 on: 21 November 2016, 08:15:21 »
Sorry, I should have thought of that.
Edit: Moved the below to the first post:
Quote from: Field Manual 3145, p.241
As long as the location struck still has at least 1 point of armor remaining, ABA Armor applies an additional –2 roll
modifier to the Critical Hit Check for all attacks made by weapons with armor-piercing abilities...
Now, as far as I understand there is no way to fire at fighters with AP-Ammo, as they themselves can not use(TW p.238) it and it has no effect when used by ground units:
Quote from: Total Warfare, p.140
Aerospace units: Armor-piercing ammo has no effect against aerospace units.
Then, page 238/239 goes into details on the ways a fighter can be crit, including damage thresholds. I assume, however, that that doesn't count as "armour piercing capability".
I am not sure about Capital missiles, however, which get an extra roll, and I'm not sure about lucky hits, either, which seem to work like they do on the ground.
Am I correct to assume that 'Anti-Penetrative Ablation Armour' has no actual effect on Aerospace fighters, or was that a premature conclusion?
« Last Edit: 10 December 2016, 05:27:33 by UnLimiTeD »

UnLimiTeD

• Captain
Re: (Waiting) Ablative Armour on non-ground units
« Reply #3 on: 02 July 2020, 06:26:03 »
Sorry for the thread-necro-bump.

Given this topic is still listed as "waiting", is there any further references needed for this?

I suppose I could sum up the original question with "Are there any effects, say, floating crits or capital missiles, that count as armour-piercing against fighters, and thus could be affected by equipment that affects crit rolls?".
If there's no good answer to this at this time, I would assume there are none, and I understand if the topic is considered of limited relevance.  :)

Xotl

• Dominus Erratorum
  • Lieutenant Colonel
  • Professor of Errata
Re: (Research) Ablative Armour on non-ground units
« Reply #4 on: 02 July 2020, 16:20:38 »
No need to apologize for a bump: this brought it to my attention again.  I'll run it up the flagpole.
3028-3057 Random Assignment Tables -
Also contains faction deployment & rarity info.

http://bg.battletech.com/forums/index.php?topic=1219.0

Xotl

• Dominus Erratorum
  • Lieutenant Colonel
  • Professor of Errata
Re: (Research) Ablative Armour on non-ground units
« Reply #5 on: 09 August 2020, 01:56:49 »

No.

Now, as far as I understand there is no way to fire at fighters with AP-Ammo, as they themselves can not use (TW p. 238) it and it has no effect when used by ground units:

Correct.

I assume, however, that that doesn't count as "armour piercing capability".

Correct.

I am not sure about Capital missiles, however, which get an extra roll, and I'm not sure about lucky hits, either, which seem to work like they do on the ground, and on the ground they count as "AP".

Unfortunately, the Anti-Penetrative Ablation Armor rules as found in IntOps pp. 86-87 only refer to "This modifier also applies to the special armor-defeating critical checks made for a hit location roll of 2", so it does not apply to Aerospace TACs, which register on to-hit rolls of twelve, or Capital Missile hits.  I don't think anyone would blame you if you house-ruled that, however.
3028-3057 Random Assignment Tables -
Also contains faction deployment & rarity info.

http://bg.battletech.com/forums/index.php?topic=1219.0

Register