Author Topic: New and Upcoming Releases Volume XII: Baker's Dozen  (Read 217851 times)

Fear Factory

• Major
  • Designing the Enemy
Re: New and Upcoming Releases Volume XII: Baker's Dozen
« Reply #120 on: 21 February 2018, 20:16:56 »
I'd also wager a guess that the current pause to certain "classic" designs probably has something to do with it as well. (Seriously, no CM: Davion without the Valkyrie in the "mini TRO" section?)

I really hope that this is the case.
The conflict is pure - The truth devised - The future secured - The enemy designed
Maj. Isaac "Litany" Van Houten, Lone Wolves, The Former 66th "Litany Against Fear" Company

Sellsword

• Warrant Officer
« Reply #121 on: 21 February 2018, 20:30:15 »
This is, and always has been false.
My guess as to why we haven't seen any after CM: Kurita, is that they likely require more up-front money to produce than some of the other books CGL is/ had produced - just from the sheer amount of art in them. And that money has probably been tied up in more necessary art-and-cost-heavy projects: Intro Box, GoAC box, Map Set...
I'd also wager a guess that the current pause to certain "classic" designs probably has something to do with it as well. (Seriously, no CM: Davion without the Valkyrie in the "mini TRO" section?)

Whatever the reasons CGL is not producing any more manuals. They did not, will not or can not complete the series and if they do start it back up again I believe the powers that be said that they were not be in the same format. That is not a successful product line. If they did generate profit for CGL it can only be looked at as short term and not as a long term series or income booster as was planned.

Sellsword

• Warrant Officer
« Reply #122 on: 21 February 2018, 20:53:26 »
This is true. Investing and purchasing are two different things. To put it a little better. I use to be invested in battletech, cared about the direction it was going and looked forward to product releases but CGL is not producing any thing I want to purchase nor do I trust this company to do anything that they say they are going to do. In my opinion CGL has a history of being antagonistic toward the consumer, an attitude of we don’t owe the consumer anything and that the consumer should be happy with whatever is being produced whenever CGL decides to produce it.

This seems to be changing with the current line developers but they are going to have to work hard to win my money and loyalty back.  I’m going to have to start seeing some products being released on a consistent basis and not just talk about all the great ideas that they have.  I wish them the best of luck.

Again  This is just my opinion

If they had stock that was publicly traded, you could invest in their company. The same could be said for crowd-funded products, which CGL does not do. Purchasing a product funded solely by the company is not investing in them, it is purchasing an item that you want... a sale. I don't claim to invest in toilet-paper manufacturers because I purchase toilet paper. I'm not invested in Samsung or US Cellular by purchasing a phone and service from them.  You are invested in your hobby, not the company that makes the products.

I'm not going to say I do or do not have faith in CGL. I have seen good things from Brent and Ray in the past and I am more than willing to give them the benefit of the doubt by waiting patiently now.

Kentares

• Warrant Officer
« Reply #123 on: 21 February 2018, 21:11:14 »

Case White, by Victor Milan (Novel) -- oi... (to be fair, as someone who has dealt with a lot of cancer in his family, not much I can say though)

According to wikipedia... (so... anyone can check if its true, please?) he died last week.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Victor_Milan

Edit = Its true unfortunately  :-[
https://www.tor.com/2018/02/14/victor-milan-in-memoriam/
« Last Edit: 21 February 2018, 21:14:00 by Kentares »
Star Wars ST and Star Trek current shows are crap.

NeonKnight

• Freelance Writer
  • Major
  • Cause Them My Initials!
« Reply #124 on: 21 February 2018, 21:13:47 »
AGENT #575, Vancouver Canada

Kentares

• Warrant Officer
« Reply #125 on: 21 February 2018, 21:15:07 »
Star Wars ST and Star Trek current shows are crap.

Wrangler

• Colonel
  • Dang it!
    • Battletech Fanon Wiki
« Reply #126 on: 21 February 2018, 21:26:10 »
http://bg.battletech.com/news/passing-of-victor-milan/
OMG!  What terrible loss!  He was one my favorite writers.  He always wrote stuff lively and fun with Battletech, while keeping setting.  I guess because no none goes to the main page we missed it.  :'(
"Men, fetch the Urbanmechs.  We have an interrogation to attend to." - jklantern
"How do you defeat a Dragau? Shoot the damn thing. Lots." - Jellico 
"No, it's a "Most Awesome Blues Brothers scene Reenactment EVER" waiting to happen." VotW Destrier - Weirdo  
"It's 200 LY to Sian, we got a full load of shells, a half a platoon of Grenadiers, it's exploding outside, and we're wearing flak jackets." VoTW Destrier - Misterpants
-Editor on Battletech Fanon Wiki

ColBosch

• Lieutenant Colonel
  • Legends Never Die
« Reply #127 on: 21 February 2018, 21:34:36 »
It's stickied at the top of General Discussion...
BattleTech is a huge house, it's not any one fan's or "type" of fans.  If you need to relieve yourself, use the bathroom not another BattleTech fan. - nckestrel
1st and 2nd Succession Wars are not happy times. - klarg1
Check my Ogre Flickr page! https://flic.kr/s/aHsmcLnb7v and https://flic.kr/s/aHsksV83ZP

Colt Ward

• Lieutenant General
  • Gott Mit Uns
    • Merc Periphery Guide- Bakunin
« Reply #128 on: 21 February 2018, 21:41:37 »
Yeah, now I am never going to know what happens to Karyl Bogomirsky- if he survives the 3rd book, its on the reading list!

Since it was brought up, can we get TPTB to say if the manuscript for Case White was in?
Colt Ward
Clan Invasion Backer #149, Leviathans #104

"We come in peace, please ignore the bloodstains."

"Greetings, Mechwarrior. You have been recruited by the Star League to defend the Frontier against Daoshen and the Capellan armada."

roosterboy

• Site Maintenance
  • Major
  • J'accuse!
« Reply #129 on: 21 February 2018, 21:43:52 »
Since it was brought up, can we get TPTB to say if the manuscript for Case White was in?

The stickied thread contains some info on that.

Colt Ward

• Lieutenant General
  • Gott Mit Uns
    • Merc Periphery Guide- Bakunin
« Reply #130 on: 21 February 2018, 21:54:39 »
Ok, I had not looked on CBT since I already knew he had passed.  Guess it makes sense for it to be there . . .
Colt Ward
Clan Invasion Backer #149, Leviathans #104

"We come in peace, please ignore the bloodstains."

"Greetings, Mechwarrior. You have been recruited by the Star League to defend the Frontier against Daoshen and the Capellan armada."

pheonixstorm

• Major
« Reply #131 on: 21 February 2018, 22:40:47 »
And secondly...Steve Jackson Games has a completely different corner of the market? Sure, they are both games companies...but they have different products and types of customers for those games. I mean, WalMart and a bespoke tailor both sell clothes...but that's about all they have in common. SJG sells casual card/board/dice games and CGL produces book supplements to wargames/RPGs. *snip*

Do a little homework please. It's called GURPS and it has been around for almost as long as BT and at some point had a fan conversion to play BT via the GURPS system. Unless something changed the only corner of the market they don't have is wargaming. ;)

ColBosch

• Lieutenant Colonel
  • Legends Never Die
« Reply #132 on: 21 February 2018, 23:36:57 »
Do a little homework please. It's called GURPS and it has been around for almost as long as BT and at some point had a fan conversion to play BT via the GURPS system. Unless something changed the only corner of the market they don't have is wargaming. ;)

Ogre, one of my favorite games, is very much an old-school wargame, with hexes and tiny numbers on the counters and even a Combat Results Table. Also, the line I quoted is from a general overview of the industry, not the specific niche SJ Games occupies. We discussed it a bit more on their forums, and the general consensus is that the gaming industry is stuck on novelty right now. People are buying lots of different games, but not buying supplements for those games. Breadth, not depth.

The reason I mention is this is because it makes me question breaking IlClan into two books. Note that Liberation of Terra 1 sold quite well to distributors, resulting in a still-current glut on the market. Liberation of Terra 2 did not, and copies of that are now the province of the eBay scalpers. Releasing a book in two parts may seem like an easy way to double CGL's profit, but I suspect that it will actually hurt sales.
BattleTech is a huge house, it's not any one fan's or "type" of fans.  If you need to relieve yourself, use the bathroom not another BattleTech fan. - nckestrel
Check my Ogre Flickr page! https://flic.kr/s/aHsmcLnb7v and https://flic.kr/s/aHsksV83ZP

klarg1

• Captain
« Reply #133 on: 22 February 2018, 00:50:28 »
New toys are the gravy on the poutine of life. :)

Now I’m hungry too.  :'(

Daemion

• Major
  • The Future of BattleTech
    • Never Tales and Other Daydreams
« Reply #134 on: 22 February 2018, 00:52:07 »
Now I need the rules for really primitive combat vehicles powered by clubs.

No. Pedal power! Yabba Dabba Dooo!
It's your world. You can do anything you want in it. - Bob Ross

Every thought and device conceived by Satan and man must be explored and found wanting. - Donald Grey Barnhouse on the purpose of history and time.

I helped make a game! ^_^  - Forge Of War: Tactics

Wrangler

• Colonel
  • Dang it!
    • Battletech Fanon Wiki
« Reply #135 on: 22 February 2018, 06:57:01 »
I know we have what's in Coming Attractions. Its been a while since it's been updated with something new.

I'm kinda surprised that XTRO: Succession Wars II never made it out. It has NOTHING to do with IllClan. It won't hurt at least release that keep us occupied for a shot bit.
"Men, fetch the Urbanmechs.  We have an interrogation to attend to." - jklantern
"No, it's a "Most Awesome Blues Brothers scene Reenactment EVER" waiting to happen." VotW Destrier - Weirdo  
"It's 200 LY to Sian, we got a full load of shells, a half a platoon of Grenadiers, it's exploding outside, and we're wearing flak jackets." VoTW Destrier - Misterpants

Dubble_g

• Lieutenant
  • My hovercraft is full of eels
« Reply #136 on: 22 February 2018, 07:57:27 »
Like others here, I really don't have much time to play the tabletop game any more, but still enjoy spending time in the imaginary world of BTech, so this was the most interesting part of the recent interview with Brent Evans for me:

Everyone knows that I am committed to having fiction drive the narrative for the BattleTech storyline ...  please know Catalyst is absolutely creating new novels for both print and ePub formats. We are also working on a series of new novellas, the launch of a new audiobooks line, and the Development team is tying the fiction plots into PDF supplemental products so that the conflicts on pages can be fought on tables with minis. Bringing in several authors to help map out our storyline plots surrounding ilClan is delivering a number of collateral benefits and I think the fans will love what we’ve put together.

Anyone know what this is a reference to? I've heard CGL wants to complete the dear departed Victor Milan's Case White novel, plus there's Stackpole's rumored Kell Hounds prequels, plus the Jennifer Brozek YA novels they announced back in September 2017. That it?
Author, "Inverted" (Shrapnel #4), "Undefeated" (#10), "Reversal of Fortunes" (#13) and "The Alexandria Job" (#15)

mbear

• Stood Far Back When The Gravitas Was Handed Out
  • Major
    • Tower of Jade
« Reply #137 on: 22 February 2018, 08:23:42 »
No. Pedal power! Yabba Dabba Dooo!

Oh great. Now I'm picturing steam powered combat vehicles where the "steam" is actually dinosaur farts.
Be the Loremaster:

Battletech transport rules take a very feline approach to moving troops in a combat zone: If they fits, they ships.

You bought the box set and are ready to expand your BT experience. Now what? (Thanks Sartis!)

Cubby

• Space Wizard of Secrets
  • BattleTech Developer
  • Major
  • BattleTech Assistant Line Developer
« Reply #138 on: 22 February 2018, 08:48:27 »
I've heard CGL wants to complete the dear departed Victor Milan's Case White novel

Since it's been brought up a few times, here's the direct quote from BT Fiction Director John Helfers, via the obit stickied at the top of this forum:

“Sadly, Victor passed away before he could finish his take on ‘Case White,’ which I’m sure would have been incredible. We have a partial manuscript in hand, however, and after a re-evaluation of the situation, I plan to take steps to have it completed by another author so we can bring Victor’s last BattleTech story to the fans. I just wish I could have helped him shepherd the rest of the novel to completion. And unfortunately, we will also have no more BattleTech stories from one of the true masters of the BT universe. R.I.P. Victor."
« Last Edit: 22 February 2018, 08:53:40 by Cubby »
Demo Team Agent #639, northeastern Maryland.

BattleTech Assistant Line Developer, writer and editor - Sarna.net Profile

pheonixstorm

• Major
« Reply #139 on: 22 February 2018, 09:46:39 »
Ogre, one of my favorite games, is very much an old-school wargame, with hexes and tiny numbers on the counters and even a Combat Results Table.

And now I learn something new :P I know back in the 90s when I was heavily into BT and GURPS I had all of the sourcebooks, box sets, etc. for each system and had a blast speding one weekend running GURPS campaigns then company on company action for BT with the occasional foray into 2nd ed AD&D or D&D.

Mendrugo

• Freelance Writer
  • Major
  • Manei Tetatae
« Reply #140 on: 22 February 2018, 12:32:58 »
Oh great. Now I'm picturing steam powered combat vehicles where the "steam" is actually dinosaur farts.

BattleTech already has almost that - steam powered combat vehicles with lacquered wooden armor and pneumatic cannons that launch boulders, on the iron-poor world of Kaetetoa.  Substitute Tetatae for dinosaurs, and you're there.
"We have made of New Avalon a towering funeral pyre and wiped the Davion scourge from the universe.  Tikonov, Chesterton and Andurien are ours once more, and the cheers of the Capellan people nearly drown out the gnashing of our foes' teeth as they throw down their weapons in despair.  Now I am made First Lord of the Star League, and all shall bow down to me and pay homa...oooooo! Shiny thing!" - Maximillian Liao, "My Triumph", audio dictation, 3030.  Unpublished.

Wrangler

• Colonel
  • Dang it!
    • Battletech Fanon Wiki
« Reply #141 on: 22 February 2018, 16:17:10 »
Far Country had that, i don't know if there rules for it.  I think as support vehicles. I've not looked in a while.

I just hope we get some kind of product soon before June.

SteveRestless

• Major
« Reply #142 on: 23 February 2018, 12:41:20 »
I would argue that maybe CGL doesn't owe anyone anything, that they can be just as noxious as Harmony Gold and do nothing but squat on the rights, denying them to anyone else and forever choking off any further battletech progression...

But, the fans and consumers owe cgl even less, If that is the case. Our relationship is entirely transactional. If you want customers good will, money, and efforts promoting the brand, then there needs to be something that we get on our side too. Historically, that has been "a progressing plot and products related to it"

If this arrangement is no longer desired, if there's no longer any point in waiting impatiently all the powers that be have to do is make it clear that they are no longer interested in exchanging products for money, and I can go spend my money on bolt action and robotech tactics instead.

Complete, new, products too, not copy-paste jobs, repackaged leftovers like TRO3150, or pamphlets about planets with nothing of value left on them.
Шонхорын хурдаар хурцлан давшъя, Чонын зоригоор асан дүрэлзэье, Тэнхээт морьдын туурайгаар нүргэе, Тамгат Чингисийн ухаанаар даръя | Let’s go faster than a falcon, Let’s burn with the wolf’s courage, Let’s roar with the hooves of strong horses, Let’s go with the wisdom of Tamgat Genghis - The Hu, Wolf Totem

Alex Keller

• Captain
« Reply #143 on: 23 February 2018, 13:40:43 »
I'd love to get some clarification on that list of upcoming products.  Even if they are all cancelled or postponed indefinitely.

As an outsider to CGL but a long time fan, it's been difficult to maintain interest in Battletech. I mean, we've all seen really talented people either walk away or be forced out over the past few years and there's no real momentum to keep me involved in the IP.  Battletech seems to have been limping along for the past 4-5 years.  I also think it's harder for CGL to compete because there are some really good competitors out there with more resources than CGL.  I appreciate what Brent is doing to keep people interested and truly hope that CGL can deliver with these new box sets and fiction.  It would be great to see a new generation join our base.

Also, a Baker's Dozen is 13.... I see that's already been pointed out.

I am Belch II

• Lieutenant Colonel
  • It's a gator with a nuke, whats the problem.
« Reply #144 on: 23 February 2018, 15:38:55 »
There were some big names that left the cause of CBT. It's hard to rebuild but will be done.
Walking the fine line between sarcasm and being a smart-ass

Diamondshark

• Lieutenant
  • Bringing back the enlightenment to the Star League
« Reply #145 on: 25 February 2018, 10:00:16 »
Honestly, I just hope that the upcoming products live up to their hype--it's going to be very hard for the fanbase to recover if it they don't.
"We are the Clans, the Star League incarnate.
None can stand against us and survive."

-- The Remembrance, Passage 272, Verse 8, Lines 18-19

ColBosch

• Lieutenant Colonel
  • Legends Never Die
« Reply #146 on: 25 February 2018, 10:27:23 »
Nothing ever lives up to the hype.

Sharpnel

• Colonel
« Reply #147 on: 25 February 2018, 10:38:04 »
Don't believe the hype, it's a sequel.  :D
Consigliere Trygg Bender, CRD-3BL Crusader, The Blazer Mafia
Takehiro 'Taco' Uchimiya, SHD-2H Shadow Hawk 'Taco', Crimson Oasis Trading Company

"Of what use is a dream, if not a blueprint for courageous action" -Adam West
As I get older, I realize that I'm not as good as I once was.
"Life is too short to be living someone else's dream" - Hugh Hefner

SteelRaven

• Lieutenant Colonel
  • Fight for something or Die for nothing
    • The Steel-Raven at DeviantArt
« Reply #148 on: 25 February 2018, 13:22:22 »
Honestly, I just hope that the upcoming products live up to their hype--it's going to be very hard for the fanbase to recover if it they don't.

Honestly, only thing that matters is that it will bring more people to the game and growing the fan base. BT can't survive selling stuff to the same group of 30-50 yo guys who already have a sizable BT collecting and other obligations.

I have ran into a alarming number of old hats online who seemingly rather see BT die with them than embrace the change needed to gain new player. While I commend them for supporting the game for all these years, they are now hurting the game
Battletech Art and Commissions
http://steel-raven.deviantart.com

Empyrus

• Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #149 on: 25 February 2018, 13:33:47 »
Nothing ever lives up to the hype.
Fact.
Created hype doesn't help at all either, and at worst it makes things far worse.