Author Topic: You bought the box set and are ready to expand your BT experience. Now what?  (Read 179813 times)

T9FURY

• Recruit
Great guide, looking through all the lore and data out there is pretty overwhelming, nice to see it all broken down into "this is what this book is for" guide. Now I have a god idea of what to buy next.

Daryk

• Lieutenant General
  • The Double Deuce II/II-σ
And you only have one more post until you can stop proving your human when you post!  :)

Marc C

• Corporal
Very helpful. Thank you!  :thumbsup:
________________________________________________________________________________
RPG played : B/X • AD&D1e, AD&D2e, D&D3e, D&D5E • Star Frontiers • Star Wars WEG • D20 Modern • Star Wars Saga • Numenara • Ashen Stars • Coriolis the Third Horizon • Modern AGE
________________________________________________________________________________
WARGAMES played : Starfire • Cars Wars • Ogre/GEV • MechWarrior Dark Ages • 40K • Infinity • SAGA Dark Ages • Freebooters Fate • Pulp City • Dropzone Commander • Gates of Antares • BSG Space Battles

Ask Eklund

• Recruit
Maybe include sarna.net under the freebies.

Sartris

• Codex Conditor
  • BattleTech Volunteer
  • Colonel
  • Kid in the puddle eating mud of CGL contributors
    • Master Unit List
That is indeed a glaring omission

You bought the box set and are ready to expand your bt experience. Now what? | Modern Sourcebook Index | FASA Sourcebook Index | Print on Demand Index
Equipment Reference Cards | DIY Pilot Cards | PaperTech Mech and Vehicle Counters

Interviewer: Since you’ve stopped making art, how do you spend your time?
Paul Chan Breathers: Oh, I’m a breather. I’m a respirateur. Isn’t that enough?

Insaniac99

• Warrant Officer
Given that Solaris Skunk Werks is being updated again, perhaps you could add it as well?

Daryk

• Lieutenant General
It wasn't on there already?  Sorry I missed that earlier...

Sartris

• Codex Conditor
  • BattleTech Volunteer
  • Colonel
    • Master Unit List
It probably was prior to the 2018 teardown but removed. I’ll put it back on when I’m on a not phone

You bought the box set and are ready to expand your bt experience. Now what? | Modern Sourcebook Index | FASA Sourcebook Index | Print on Demand Index
Equipment Reference Cards | DIY Pilot Cards | PaperTech Mech and Vehicle Counters

Insaniac99

• Warrant Officer
Not a problem, the project laid dormant for a long time, thanks :-)

Insaniac99

• Warrant Officer
Oh and You might consider https://flechs.net/sheets-twa/

Greatclub

• Captain
I'm surprised that 'wolf and blake' and the 3062 & 3145 era reports aren't mentioned.

wolf and blake in particular deserves a mention; it's far more advanced than S&D, but still a starterbook with a full campaign.

Sartris

• Codex Conditor
  • BattleTech Volunteer
  • Colonel
    • Master Unit List
This is a get you started guide that runs parallel with CGL’s current gen box offerings - not to go through the options for the entire line. I’ve also strayed perilously close to being inconcise

Most importantly there’s a character limit on the post. I can only cover so much

addendum: in the post-kickstarter revision i've been plotting out, ER 3062 will probably be included as TRO:CI takes you through to the FedCom civil war. the initial concern was that i didn't want a beginner guide opening up new players to TRO 3055/58/60/67 as they were just getting going.
« Last Edit: 19 January 2020, 17:13:01 by Sartris »

Sartris

• Codex Conditor
  • BattleTech Volunteer
  • Colonel
    • Master Unit List
once we're closer to wave 1, i'm planning a moderate restructuring that places items into succession wars and clan invasion categories. items in [brackets] aren't available yet. how i expand things significantly without overflowing the cup will require some special sorcery. let me know if you have suggestions, but remember that this is not the landing spot for RPG, AS, or fiction. Minis will go under the expanding your forces section.

DRAFT
------
GAME ESSENTIALS (Items that will improve your game experience no matter what era you're playing)

MapPack: Grasslands
[MapPack: Tukayyid]
[MapPack: Alien Worlds]
Chaos Campaign: Succession Wars

SUCCESSION WARS

House Arano (only requires GoAC box)
TRO:SW, RS:SW
TRO:3039, RS:3039
Other SW TP (Mallory's World, Galtor, Misery, Death to Mercs, Vega 3039)
SB:Sword and Dragon

CLAN INVASION

[Clan Invasion Box]
TRO:CI, [RS:CI]
TRO:3050U, RS:3050U
Chaos Campaign: Tukayyid
ER:3052, 3062
Other CI TP (Glengarry, Luzerne, Falcon Incursion, Revival Trials, The Red Corsair)

Insaniac99

• Warrant Officer
how i expand things significantly without overflowing the cup will require some special sorcery. let me know if you have suggestions, but remember that this is not the landing spot for RPG, AS, or fiction. Minis will go under the expanding your forces section.

Two ideas come to mind.

The first, and probably least desired, is to pull the same trick they did on Kickstarter when faced with a character limit: Use those characters for image links that inform the user.  I assume that messes with accessibility though and is why I rank it lower.

Second: Create a new thread, reserving multiple posts (Perhaps with Moderator help) in order to have logical breakdowns and a TOC at the top that jumps to the different posts.

The only other one I have in mind is to find information that isn't "worth" having there and excise it for more important things and I don't advocate that.  I think the second option is the best long term solution.

Daryk

• Lieutenant General
Simply using multiple posts in the same thread would seem to be the easiest way to go...

Sartris

• Codex Conditor
  • BattleTech Volunteer
  • Colonel
    • Master Unit List
do you want a 25,000 word product guide covering the entire line? this is how you get a 25,000 word product guide covering the entire line.

Daryk

• Lieutenant General
You can do it in less than 25,000 words?   ???  :D

Sartris

• Codex Conditor
  • BattleTech Volunteer
  • Colonel
    • Master Unit List
the initial guide is about 4500 so far. i can definitely do the whole thing in six posts

Daryk

• Lieutenant General
Well then... don't let me stop you!  :thumbsup:

jwt708

• Sergeant
Just wanted to take a moment and thank you for writing and updating your post. I'm a new player and this has been a tremendous help understanding everything...so thank you very much!

Sartris

• Codex Conditor
  • BattleTech Volunteer
  • Colonel
    • Master Unit List
i wrote it to be a helpful resource so i'm glad it's serving its purpose!

bobthecoward

• Captain

Has there been any printing updates to technannual, tactical, strat, interstellar, or campaign ops or are those all still using the old logos?

It might make sense to have a paragraph about old logo new logo? Or did I miss that?

Daryk

• Lieutenant General
Tech Manual yes, the others not yet, but definitely heavily signaled by TPTB...

Sartris

• Codex Conditor
  • BattleTech Volunteer
  • Colonel
    • Master Unit List
also tacops, though it hasn't been released yet in print. the reprint of stratops was supposed to have the original BattleForce box cover, though they tptb have strongly hinted that remaining books will not be straight reprints but use material from them

also yes, i'll be adding them
« Last Edit: 13 April 2020, 16:23:34 by Sartris »

Daryk

• Lieutenant General
Not "yet in print" is exactly why I said "heavily signaled"...

Sartris

• Codex Conditor
  • BattleTech Volunteer
  • Colonel
    • Master Unit List
i didn't count TO as heavily signaled i guess. SO and AToW i would definitely put in that pile. TO is basically imminent since you could buy it as an addon on the kickstarter.

Daryk

• Lieutenant General
Wait... they're going to reprint AToW??  ???

Minemech

• Captain
 A good place to look for books out of print are charity bookstores. More particularly, the novels, but on occasion the sourcebooks. Bookstores specializing in older books may carry them from time to time.

Sartris

• Codex Conditor
  • BattleTech Volunteer
  • Colonel
    • Master Unit List
Wait... they're going to reprint AToW??  ???

eventually. maybe.

Daryk

• Lieutenant General
Ah, ok... I'll put away the party hats...  :-\