Author Topic: AFFS High Command, Suns Transcendent!  (Read 183059 times)

Hellraiser

• Colonel
  • Cry Havoc and Unleash the Gods of Fiat.
Re: AFFS High Command, Suns Transcendent!
« Reply #1230 on: 16 July 2018, 10:17:16 »
The Jihad?    I got disconnected in 3057, the year of WTF were they thinking?

I guess I still read stuff up to 3067.

I tried to follow the chaos of the Jihad books a bit, but it was mostly due to the fact that it was the first new products in a decade & not the actual story.

Since then I can't say that I've been "thrilled" with anything I've read really.
3041: General Lance Hawkins: The Equalizers
3053: Star Colonel Rexor Kerensky: The Silver Wolves

"I don't shoot Urbanmechs, I walk up, stomp on their foot, wait for the head to pop open & drop in a hand grenade (or Elemental)" - Joel47
Against mechs, infantry have two options: Run screaming from Godzilla, or giggle under your breath as the arrogant fools blunder into your trap. - Weirdo

BrokenMnemonic

• Lieutenant
« Reply #1231 on: 20 July 2018, 17:52:03 »
So, I've been doing some digging into the Age of War era Federated Peacekeeping Forces and Armed Forces of the Federated Suns, for a fan project I've been working on for a while, and I've come across a logic puzzle that's been vexing me a bit. So, I thought I'd mention it here, and see what you think.

I decided to try and work out what the AFFS would've looked like, at a brigade and regiment level, at the end of the Age of War. The SLDF formed in 2571, and the AFFS donated 37 regiments towards its formation, according to Historical: Reunification War. The entire Terran Brigade got shipped off, along with half of the Syrtis Fusiliers, along with some private regiments and units that comprised the most troublesome, worst trained and worst-equipped units from the AFFS. (p32-33) Field Report 2765: AFFS highlights that the Avalon Hussars had fourteen active commands at the end of the Age of War, of which 6 joined the SLDF (p8) and that the Davion Brigade of Guards was the only AFFS brigade to contribute no units to the SLDF (p13).

Brigades that look to have been active at the time that we know about are the Arcadian Cuirassiers, the Avalon Hussars, the Davion Brigade of Guards, the Robinson Chevaliers, the Syrtis Fusiliers, the Tancredi Loyalists and the Terran Brigade. The Dragonlords didn't form up until the United Triumph Exercises in 2572, the March Militias came into being in the 28th century, and the Ceti Hussars were a Star League era construct based on SLDF RCTs.

Field Report 2765: AFFS states that the four units of the Tancredi Loyalists still active during the Star League era were all survivors of the Davion Civil War. It also tells us that the ten rgiments of Syrtis Fusiliers were active throughout the Star League era, although the majority of the Fusiliers had sided with the Varneys in the civil war; the 11th-20th Syrtis Fusilier regiments were all founded during the Star League era. We know that the Robinson Chevaliers retired lost regiments, founding new regiments with the same banners - the Second became the Sixth, then Eleventh, then Twenty-second; the regiments may not all have been founded in numerical order though, because the 31st was founded after Operation SMOTHER, the 25th, 26th, 27th, 28th, 32nd, 34th, 35th, 36th and 37th were all raised after 2755, but there's no record of a 29th, 30th or 33rd. (Odd numbering isn't unheard of - House Davion (The Federated Suns) mentions a reorganisation of the Crucis Lancers in 2930 that featured the 33rd Crucis Lancers, despite the only regiments around during the First and Second Succession War being the 1st through 8th). The Davion Brigade of Guards seems to have pretty consistently been 8 regiments strong.

In addition to the 37 regiments given up to the SLDF in 2571, Historical: Reunification War tells us that 4 years later, in 2575, the AFFS mustered 88 BattleMech regiments. So, before giving up the 37 regiments in 2571, the AFFS mustered 125 regiments less four years worth of recruiting, rebuilding and founding of new units.

So, I tried to work out what the likely breakdown of units was that ended up being handed over to the SLDF, and what that meant the size of the remaining regiments must've been. Field Report 2765: AFFS isn't a perfect match, because the militaries of the Great Houses conitnued to grow at some kind of rate until the Council Edict of 2650 cut everyone short and led to a stack of regiments being deactivated.

Some brigades are fixed - the Dragonlords at 5 regiments, the Davion Brigade of Guards at 8, the Syrtis Fusiliers at 10, but in the buildup prior to the Amaris Civil War, the AFFS reactivated 11 regiments of Avalon Hussars, 1 of Arcadian Cuirassiers and. 2 regiments of Dragonlords (by expansion of existing regiments); the Field Report is silent on whether any regiments of Robinson Chevaliers were reactivated.

The 37 regiments given up to the SLDF must consist of 6 regiments of Avalon Hussars and 5 regiments of Syrtis Fusiliers, with the remaining 26 regiments being made up from at least 1 regiment each of Arcadian Cuirassiers, Robinson Chevaliers and Tancredi Warriors, plus a significant number of Terran Brigade regiments, and a few private regiments (which I guess were things like the later Clovis Guards regiment).

The 88 regiments of the AFFS around in 2575 must consist of 5 regiments of Dragonlords and 8 of Davion Brigade of Guards, leaving 75 regiments spread across the Arcadian Cuirassiers, Avalon Hussars, Robinson Chevaliers, Syrtis Fusiliers and Tancredi Loyalists - approximately 15 regiments each, on average. Assuming, of course, that the AFFS' BattleMechs were concentrated in these regiments - it seems likely that there were BattleMech equipped militia regiments of some kind.

Historical: Liberation of Terra tells us that the AFFS had been reduced down to 53 regiments by the Edict of 2650, based on the mustered strength in 2750. Historical: Reunification War details that between 2575 and 2600, the AFFS dropped from 88 regiments to 81. Between 2750 and 2765, the AFFS grew from 53 to 110 regiments; those regiments consisted of 26 regiments of Avalon Hussars, 2 of Arcadian Cuirassiers, 1 of Ceti Hussars, 8 of Davion Guards, 5 of Dragonlords, 24 of Robinson Chevaliers, 20 of Syrtis Fusiliers, 4 of Tancredi Loyalists and 20 of March Militia - so 18% of the AFFS 'Mech regiments were militia regiments formed as things were heating up.

So, given those data points. what would your version of the breakdown of AFFS forces in 2575 look like?

It's more interesting than optimal, and therefore better. O0 - Weirdo

Arkansas Warrior

• Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #1232 on: 21 July 2018, 17:42:17 »
Anyone know if there’s a Sarna errata thread somewhere?  I found a rather significant error (shock of all shocks, I know. ::)  )
Sunrise is Coming.

All Hail First Prince Melissa Davion, the Patron Saint of the Regimental Combat Team, who cowed Dainmar Liao, created the Model Army, and rescued Robinson!  May her light ever guide the sons of the Suns, May our daughters ever endeavour to emulate her!

BrokenMnemonic

• Lieutenant
« Reply #1233 on: 22 July 2018, 03:00:01 »
Report it in the talk page for the associated article, and one of the volunteers like me should see it.

Or you could fix it yourself, of course, given that Sarna's a community wiki anyone can edit.

It's more interesting than optimal, and therefore better. O0 - Weirdo

Arkansas Warrior

• Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #1234 on: 22 July 2018, 21:14:59 »
There doesn't seem to be a talk page.  The issue isn't necessarily something to be editted in one page.  Michael Davion's article lists him as having 4 children: Carl, Rebecca, Melissa, and Joseph, which initially caught my eye.  Each has their own page.  The page for Rebecca Davion says she was the "eldest daughter of Michael Davion" lists Carl, Melissa, and Joseph as her siblings, and talks about her command of the Assault Guards on St. Ives in 2861.  Melissa's page talks largely about her time as Prince and invention of the Regimental Combat Team, but also lists her siblings as Carl, Rebecca, and Joseph.

Here's the thing: "Rebecca" (no canonical last name)* is a pseudonym Melissa used in her early AFFS career to avoid favoritism.  They aren't distinct people.  The one reference in Rebecca's page is to p.112 of Handbook House Davion, which says, in a blurb on Melissa "Melissa Davion, who went by the pseudonym of “Rebecca” through most of her early career to avoid special treatments,".  If you search the name Rebecca in Handbook House Davion, that's the only hit you get.  She shouldn't be treated as Melissa's sister, because they're the same person.  Her whole page should just be rolled into Melissa's, with a note somewhere that Melissa used the name "Rebecca" early in her career to hide her status as the Prince's daughter.

*The old House Davion Sourcebook from the late 80s does refer to her as "Rebecca Davion" at the time of the St. Ives attack, and never mentions that Rebecca and Melissa are the same person.  I'd think that was the source of the confusion, but the Rebecca page doesn't references the HDSB.  Also, common sense would suggest that if you're trying to hide your membership in the Davion famiy, you wouldn't use the pseudonym "Rebecca Davion", so I'd think that it's being used anachronistically, despite the fact that the HDSB never states that Rebecca and Melissa are the same person.
« Last Edit: 22 July 2018, 21:20:03 by Arkansas Warrior »
Sunrise is Coming.

All Hail First Prince Melissa Davion, the Patron Saint of the Regimental Combat Team, who cowed Dainmar Liao, created the Model Army, and rescued Robinson!  May her light ever guide the sons of the Suns, May our daughters ever endeavour to emulate her!

Paladin1

• Lieutenant
« Reply #1235 on: 24 July 2018, 22:13:59 »
I resemble this remark somewhat.  I honestly find more interest in the lead up to the 4th Succession War than anything afterwards.  I'd be perfectly happy with 3025 if battlearmor were a standard.

Less stick-in-the-mud-sounding, I agree with both Rorke's sentiments: Elsie/Davie rising and moving things along.

I'm pretty much in exactly the same boat, except for the BA issue.  My only difference there is that I'd expect to see Nighthawk suits rather than true BA suits like the Elemental or Cavalier suits.

Miatezhnyi8D

• Recruit
« Reply #1236 on: 01 August 2018, 02:32:01 »
Nice to see the High Command is still around.

Sharpnel

• Colonel
« Reply #1237 on: 01 August 2018, 07:00:53 »
Now all we need is for Maddog Maddux to come back.
Consigliere Trygg Bender, CRD-3BL Crusader, The Blazer Mafia
Takehiro 'Taco' Uchimiya, SHD-2H Shadow Hawk 'Taco', Crimson Oasis Trading Company

"Of what use is a dream, if not a blueprint for courageous action" -Adam West
As I get older, I realize that I'm not as good as I once was.
"Life is too short to be living someone else's dream" - Hugh Hefner

Arkansas Warrior

• Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #1238 on: 01 August 2018, 14:41:13 »
And 97jedi.
Sunrise is Coming.

Lord Harlock

• Captain
  • Watching from the Shadows
« Reply #1239 on: 01 August 2018, 20:11:59 »
Jedi never really left. He just became one of the writers.

Charlie 6

• Captain
« Reply #1240 on: 01 August 2018, 20:47:09 »
I just went back and looked at page one of this thread.  Lots of names left before we get to "all we need".

I was more taken by the 31 Dec 13 and 01 Jan 14 timestamps. I was still on Active Duty, only had one kid, and was less than three months into my current home.  Now I'm two years retired, a year out from two kids in grade school, and already had to replace the roof on my five year old home.

What different with you folks?

Tai Dai Cultist

• Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #1241 on: 02 August 2018, 00:19:58 »
I was thinking about what's gone on for me over the past 5 years, and something hit me.

For all the changes we've seen in our own personal lives in half a decade.. it's still a moment ago as far as the canonical storyline goes.  Who knew in 2013 we'd have to wait till 2018 for the next update to the then-new 3145 story?

DoctorMonkey

• Captain
  • user briefly known as Khan of Clan Sex Panther
« Reply #1242 on: 02 August 2018, 01:33:23 »
I just went back and looked at page one of this thread.  Lots of names left before we get to "all we need".

I was more taken by the 31 Dec 13 and 01 Jan 14 timestamps. I was still on Active Duty, only had one kid, and was less than three months into my current home.  Now I'm two years retired, a year out from two kids in grade school, and already had to replace the roof on my five year old home.

I've (supposedly) finished training, am now getting divorced, have different cats to the ones in 2013 and am now living in a different town/city. Still no kids. Have acquired a diagnosis of anxiety/depression and gone through treatment since 31 Dec 13 too - still on medication but it has permanently nixed my thoughts of joining up but have joined a shooting club and am slowly improving my 10 metre (air) pistol shooting.
Avatar stollen from spacebattles.com motivational posters thread

ChanMan: "Capellan Ingenuity: The ability to lose battles to Davion forces in new and implausible ways"

Arkansas Warrior

• Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #1243 on: 02 August 2018, 12:00:53 »
Jedi never really left. He just became one of the writers.
Yeah, but he never posts down here anymore.  That’s what I was getting at.  How goes Arcadia?
Sunrise is Coming.

MarauderD

• Major
« Reply #1244 on: 02 August 2018, 12:21:24 »
How does one join this club, anyway?

Cheers all,

Mad

Arkansas Warrior

• Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #1245 on: 02 August 2018, 12:27:00 »
There’s a membership fee, payable in Liao or Kurita heads*.

*Preferably.  Other currencies, like Taurian or pirate heads, are also accepted, but there’s a conversion rate.
« Last Edit: 02 August 2018, 12:33:17 by Arkansas Warrior »
Sunrise is Coming.

MarauderD

• Major
« Reply #1246 on: 02 August 2018, 14:50:22 »
I believe my tally of Kurita heads acquired with the Draconis March Militia, 33rd Avalon Hussars, and 4th Davion Guards will look good on my resume. I'll forward it over to HQ.

Lord Harlock

• Captain
« Reply #1247 on: 03 August 2018, 00:23:23 »
Yeah, but he never posts down here anymore.  That’s what I was getting at.  How goes Arcadia?

Arcadia is a state of mind. At the moment, it could be better, but I am not going to complain.

[Harlock pulls off the Sword of Author Fiat and places it in a dusty corner next to a dusty chair. For a moment, the blade is pulled a bit out of its holster, and it still shines even if the blade seems a bit tarnished as it slides back into the .]

I believe my tally of Kurita heads acquired with the Draconis March Militia, 33rd Avalon Hussars, and 4th Davion Guards will look good on my resume. I'll forward it over to HQ.

That should be enough. Honestly, I remember when newbies just had to post exciting introductions when they tended the bar while trying to reeducate Capellan Servitors on how to make an honest living for themselves instead of the state. But I feel old at times lately.

[The Outbacker falls into the dusty chair.]

Sharpnel

• Colonel
« Reply #1248 on: 03 August 2018, 05:32:58 »
*Moves a pallet full of cases of Knockando into the lounge* Gnetleman, if you please, courtesy of myself for all true sons of the Suns to enjoy.
Consigliere Trygg Bender, CRD-3BL Crusader, The Blazer Mafia
Takehiro 'Taco' Uchimiya, SHD-2H Shadow Hawk 'Taco', Crimson Oasis Trading Company

"Of what use is a dream, if not a blueprint for courageous action" -Adam West
As I get older, I realize that I'm not as good as I once was.
"Life is too short to be living someone else's dream" - Hugh Hefner

Rorke

• Captain
  • Absolute Shower
« Reply #1249 on: 05 August 2018, 05:27:41 »
Well, I feel somewhat vindicated.

Shattered Fortress has been an illuminating, and in parts disheartening read.  I shall
refrain from spoilers, but we have faced highs and lows. 

But the Federated Suns is still in the fight.
"you come at the king you best not miss" Omar Little

Paladin1

• Lieutenant
« Reply #1250 on: 10 August 2018, 06:19:23 »

Well, let's see.  I settled down into a steady job again, so no more contractor status for me.  Hooray for a steady paycheck again!

My adopted son, who had just come to live with us in 2013, is starting his Senior year in high school and settling on a college major.  It's looking like he'll be pursuing a history major with a focus in Latin America at the moment, but we'll see.  He should be graduation with Honors, but we've not crossed that line yet, so I don't want to brag too much, too early.

I'm into my fourth year of renewed home ownership, so no more renting either.  I had forgotten just how bad this could be, especially when you're responsible for all aspects of house repair and maintenance.  At least I don't have to mow my own lawn any longer, I've got a son who does that now.   >:D

Most importantly, I'm still neck deep in unpainted minis, so I think I'm pretty much guaranteed immortality at this point.  I mean, it IS true that you don't die until you finish what's on your workbench, right?

Paladin1

• Lieutenant
« Reply #1251 on: 10 August 2018, 06:22:50 »

I've (supposedly) finished training, am now getting divorced, have different cats to the ones in 2013 and am now living in a different town/city. Still no kids. Have acquired a diagnosis of anxiety/depression and gone through treatment since 31 Dec 13 too - still on medication but it has permanently nixed my thoughts of joining up but have joined a shooting club and am slowly improving my 10 metre (air) pistol shooting.

Sorry to hear about the pending divorce.  That will prove to be either the worst day of your life or the best money you've ever spent, depending on the situation.  Mine was both, but evolved from worst to best with time.

A question on the diagnosis, if it's not too personal.  Is there a long term solution to the issue or is it something that will require medication for the foreseeable future?  Either way, glad to see you're getting treatment for it and here's to hoping and coping.

Paladin1

• Lieutenant
« Reply #1252 on: 10 August 2018, 06:25:54 »
That should be enough. Honestly, I remember when newbies just had to post exciting introductions when they tended the bar while trying to reeducate Capellan Servitors on how to make an honest living for themselves instead of the state. But I feel old at times lately.

Glad to see you're still around Harlock, your question does raise an interesting thought though.  When was the first AFFSHC thread posted?  I know we came over from MDM's old DHG website, but I honestly cannot remember when it was.

Arkansas Warrior

• Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #1253 on: 10 August 2018, 06:54:52 »
I’ve been on the site (or some previous incarnation of it) since 2005, and the events that saw the AFFSHC thread move to the Hall are ancient history even to me.  I don’t remember a time when it was anywhere else.
Sunrise is Coming.

DoctorMonkey

• Captain
« Reply #1254 on: 10 August 2018, 16:20:41 »
Sorry to hear about the pending divorce.  That will prove to be either the worst day of your life or the best money you've ever spent, depending on the situation.  Mine was both, but evolved from worst to best with time.

A question on the diagnosis, if it's not too personal.  Is there a long term solution to the issue or is it something that will require medication for the foreseeable future?  Either way, glad to see you're getting treatment for it and here's to hoping and coping.

The separation has, so far, been friendly - we drifted apart rather than any other trigger for the split.

I think I will probably end up on medication for a good while yet, I certainly don't have a complete set of coping skills (despite Cognitive Behavioural Therapy) but am happy to be in a better place and don't seem to be getting any real side effects. As an added bonus, my medication costs me a mere £8 or so every 2 months thanks to the NHS. I think the problem is not so much the triggers or situation but the way I tend to respond.

ChanMan: "Capellan Ingenuity: The ability to lose battles to Davion forces in new and implausible ways"

Charlie 6

• Captain
« Reply #1255 on: 10 August 2018, 20:38:03 »

The separation has, so far, been friendly - we drifted apart rather than any other trigger for the split.

I think I will probably end up on medication for a good while yet, I certainly don't have a complete set of coping skills (despite Cognitive Behavioural Therapy) but am happy to be in a better place and don't seem to be getting any real side effects. As an added bonus, my medication costs me a mere £8 or so every 2 months thanks to the NHS. I think the problem is not so much the triggers or situation but the way I tend to respond.
As always Dan, I continue to hope that you are well.  You are after all the one that encouraged me to down to this part of the boards.  When I checked in the role play aspect wasn't prevalent at all but instead a place where fans of the AFFS could congregate vice getting frustrated elsewhere.

Which is exactly why I'm posting here rather than saying, "of course you're correct you uninformed dipshit," somewhere else on the board.

Paladin1, it is good to see you pop up again.  I'm glad things are going well for you.
Well, I feel somewhat vindicated.

Shattered Fortress has been an illuminating, and in parts disheartening read.  I shall
refrain from spoilers, but we have faced highs and lows. 

But the Federated Suns is still in the fight.
The sad part is that the feeling most of us have had for the better part of a decade (or more) that the Fed Suns is getting screwed isn't going to change anytime soon.  Oh well, back to 3025ish it is!

DoctorMonkey

• Captain
« Reply #1256 on: 11 August 2018, 06:30:03 »
As always Dan, I continue to hope that you are well.  You are after all the one that encouraged me to down to this part of the boards.  When I checked in the role play aspect wasn't prevalent at all but instead a place where fans of the AFFS could congregate vice getting frustrated elsewhere.

Which is exactly why I'm posting here rather than saying, "of course you're correct you uninformed dipshit," somewhere else on the board.

Paladin1, it is good to see you pop up again.  I'm glad things are going well for you.The sad part is that the feeling most of us have had for the better part of a decade (or more) that the Fed Suns is getting screwed isn't going to change anytime soon.  Oh well, back to 3025ish it is!

I occasionally go up to the Upper Boards but relatively rarely

I just got Brush Wars at the same time as Second Succession War and Shattered Fortress... I'm still enjoying Mariks killing each other

Lord Harlock

• Captain
« Reply #1257 on: 11 August 2018, 22:49:20 »
Glad to see you're still around Harlock, your question does raise an interesting thought though.  When was the first AFFSHC thread posted?  I know we came over from MDM's old DHG website, but I honestly cannot remember when it was.

At least as far back as 2003, I was lurking back then.

Paladin1

• Lieutenant
« Reply #1258 on: 12 August 2018, 09:34:56 »
At least as far back as 2003, I was lurking back then.
It's weird to think how much has changed in the world in those 15 years, yet how little has changed in the Battletech Universe.  I know many of us have kids in college or preparing for it, yet here we are, still looking at the same issues with the time line as we were 15 years ago.

I'll grant you, we've gotten a great deal of filler information in those 15 years, but it hasn't really changed the fact that the game feels like it is drifting towards irrelevance.  Even the new game has just added more detail to the 3025 era instead of blazing a new path, so maybe it's time to admit that the new path post-FCCW got hosed up and it's time for a reset or a serious look at a real retcon to clear the slate.

Paladin1

• Lieutenant
« Reply #1259 on: 12 August 2018, 09:43:33 »
Or, better yet considering how well Shattered Sphere was received,  maybe it's time to split the Universe and have an alternate time line for those of us who want a Jihad-less Battletech.

Either way, something has got to give because the line seems stagnant right now.  I love this Universe, but I can't build up any interest at all for it post-FCCW.  It just doesn't hold the appeal like the earlier eras.

Register