Author Topic: Post-Action Report  (Read 2947 times)

thrawn

• Master Sergeant
Post-Action Report
« on: 10 December 2011, 10:48:32 »
Apologies to the Mods if this is in the wrong section- please feel free to move it. As I've said in another thread, I've managed to get a number of my friends hooked on the game without them ever actually playing it- that came to an end for one of them recently, when we finally got together for a game.

He's throwing his hat in with the Combine, mostly because he loves the Ryuken paint scheme on CSO. With that in mind, I directed him to the downloadable quickstart rules and record sheets, and suggested a few traditional Combine 'Mechs. He went for the Jenner and the Dragon. Wanted to cede him a few tonnes, and to try out come new units, I went for a Centurion and a Javelin.

At the start of the game my friend failed to realise the importance of maximising his movement, only moving his Jenner a single hex. It didn't take him long to realise he had to move faster and smarter, as I repeatedly moved my Javelin into his rear arc. The Dragon and the Centurion exchanged fire, with my 'Mech coming off the worse. The Jenner started to take real damage and tried to retreat, but I was able to manoeuvre him into the firing arc of both my 'Mechs, and that was the end of that chapter, as it exploded spectacularly.

I think it was all over at that point- my repeated winning of the initiative meant that I always had at least one of my units behind the Dragon. I kept chipping away at his armour, inflicting two engine hits in a single turn. By the time he had to go home, his Dragon was down to one movement point, with I think a +2 to hit modifier, no armour on either leg, damaged foot and shoulder actuators...the list goes on.

All in all, he enjoyed it a lot and we both learnt quite a bit, as I haven't really played that many games myself. I finally seem to be getting the hang of tactical movement- I'm glad that I've concentrated so many of my early games on Light and Medium units, learning to use them before going heavier. Also, maybe it's just me, but the real action seems to happen when you're right up in their face- ranged weapons are ncie, but the +4 to hit isn't. Plus, if you're all up in their grill, you can kick them!

As always, the Jenner proved itself to be a great unit- I think it's one of the best Lights I've seen used in my limited experience. For its weight, it's a real powerhouse. The Dragon really impressed me- not so much with its firepower, but with its sheer doggedness- you really have to take it right to the wire! It's also deceptively fast- weighed twice as much as my Javelin, but could run only one hex less.

As for my 'Mechs, loved the Javelin- fast, manoueverable, and if you roll well for its SRMs, devastating. I don't think the Centurion performed to the best of its ability- perhaps the fault of the commander, rather than the pilot. Still, that AC 10 kept on hitting.

All in all, a great night with a good friend and a game to which I'm becoming increasingly addicted! Maybe it's time I moved to some Heavies and Assaults.....
"When the mob and the press and the whole world tell you to move, your job is to plant yourself like a tree beside the river of truth and say, 'No, you move'." - Captain America

thrawn

• Master Sergeant
Re: Post-Action Report
« Reply #1 on: 10 December 2011, 11:03:18 »
Sorry Mods, didn't realise this section existed! Duly noted for next time.
"When the mob and the press and the whole world tell you to move, your job is to plant yourself like a tree beside the river of truth and say, 'No, you move'." - Captain America

Guitardian

• Master Sergeant
« Reply #2 on: 10 December 2011, 12:21:40 »
That sound like one tough Dragon man. Glad you're having a blast like that.  O0

Just my thoughts maybe for your next game, take as you will:
If it were my pick, I would have switched out the Jenner for a Panther for him (even more Combiney as it's a house unit like the Dragon, whereas the Jenner isn't, just frequently associated and used by them it isn't really their mech exclusively like the other two are) Also, its not so reliant on smart movement like the Jenner, and more durable if/when he makes mistakes. Everybody loves Jenners, but everybody loves Panthers too so its a good trade off to try for your next game until he really starts to "get" how to move smart. The Dragon I imagine he'll feel quite attached to now after taking a beating like that and still going.

On your end a late succession wars perfect matchup of FedCom "house" units quite similar to your first pair (just make it all themed like that so you can delve into the backstory aspects bit by bit) Instead of the Centurion, an Enforcer, which is a very similar mech but exclusively Federated Suns design (although they would appear elsewhere through reposession or defection I would guess). Also it can jump, but not as well as the Javelin, so it wont be quite so harrassey to his backside. Then for the light, instead of the Javelin, go with a Commando (which is exclusively Lyran Commonwealth design - giving you the FedCom teamup going on).. It is very similar firepower wise and armor wise, but can't jump, again so he wont be getting backshot as much.

Just this guys $0.02 worth for another matchup idea. They are all basic box set mechs and I'm pretty sure there's download PDF you can print out for counters for them on this website too if you don't have figures.. just to make it cool.

Oh: and Keep on kickin! (my favorite thing to do too)
« Last Edit: 10 December 2011, 13:51:13 by Guitardian »
retroactively applied infallibility gets me through the day.

thrawn

• Master Sergeant
« Reply #3 on: 10 December 2011, 20:14:41 »
Thanks for the advice- very much appreciated! When I was suggesting typical 'Mechs to my friend the Panther was on the list, along with the Dragon, the Jenner and the hunchback and he went with the Jenner and Dragon. Next time I'll maybe encourage him to go with the other two!

As for myself, I've ended up with quite a variety of units, so I'm trying to mix it up as much as I can. I've already used the Commando and been very impressed by it- for 25 tonnes it's a real trooper! Next time I'll definitely have to go with the Enforcer- as a hardened FedSuns fan I feel compelled!

BTech is definitely a morish game- the more I play the more I love it!

sherlox

• Sergeant
  • "You rebel scum...wait, wrong universe"
« Reply #4 on: 11 December 2011, 03:05:08 »
If you go with the Enforcer/Commando team-up, make sure your friend definitely sees their armaments.  Both those mechs pack a lot of firepower, and a successful volley from each of them, the enforcer opening holes for the commando to exploit, will end a light mech instantly.  dont want to shock him TOO badly, haha

+1 for the Panther.  beastly for a light mech.  You should also introduce him to the Charge rule in conjunction with the Dragon - the Dragon is built for charging, and in one of my games, a friends Dragon one-shotted my untouched Commando with a long distance charge. 

Guitardian

• Master Sergeant
« Reply #5 on: 12 December 2011, 09:10:52 »
hee hee another oddball one... speaking of charging... give him a Charger and a Cicada (not the variant kinds either) while you take a pair of Jagermechs. That would be a funny funny game.
retroactively applied infallibility gets me through the day.

markhall

• Lieutenant
  • "The Button's Stuck!"
« Reply #6 on: 12 December 2011, 10:12:52 »
Its good to see Battletech spreading on the Irish Isle.

Register