Author Topic: Obligatory MechWarrior 5/3015 Topic  (Read 15032 times)

Scotty

• Alpha Strike Guru by appointment to the FWLM
  • Catalyst Demo Team
  • Colonel
Obligatory MechWarrior 5/3015 Topic
« on: 26 January 2011, 04:35:52 »
Title says it all.  Hopefully this time we can keep it to one instead of six or seven. :P

As far as I know, there is still no new news on the subject, just Smith and Tinker not removing it from their projects list, and also not showing any progress.
Catalyst Demo Agent #679

Kansas City players, or people who are just passing through the area, come join us at the Geekery just off Shawnee Mission Parkway for BattleTech!  Current days are Tuesdays in the afternoon and evening.  I can't make every single week, but odds are pretty good that somebody will be there.

Youngblood

• Captain
  • metalmans no longer dumpy or metal, can't touch
Re: Obligatory MechWarrior 5/3015 Topic
« Reply #1 on: 26 January 2011, 08:49:05 »
I'm still hopeful.  There's no way some of the people associated with Smith & Tinker and Catalyst would give up on venturing back to the action medium.  It would help if someone snuck some unfortunately-placed soap bars into the Harmony Gold execs' showers....

topcat

• Corporal
  • Blake save us from combined yawns... err, arms!
« Reply #2 on: 26 January 2011, 09:14:21 »
I suspect S&T is gone from that particular market for good.  The webpage talks about Facebook and phone app games and that's likely one of the more attractive options for investors.  Plus, it sounds like they bought the Marvel license, which is more likely to draw interest (especially in those areas) than CBT.  More likely, we'll see a new company acquire the license, possibly with some members of S&T involved.

Pirahna Games got involved in Duke Nukem Forever, which explains their stall to some degree (and provides options for further stalling for DLC).  Plus, they're increasingly involved with racing games.

The outlook is not good, at least for a few more years.

Prillotashekta

• Master Sergeant
  • Whee!
« Reply #3 on: 26 January 2011, 12:08:19 »
Although, Piranha getting Duke Nukem under their belt nets them experience and gets their name out there tied to a potentially big-name release. So long as they actually still have MechWarrior in their to-do pile, we can spin that as ultimately good news
"Ignorance more frequently begets confidence than does knowledge: it is those who know little, not those who know much, who so positively assert that this or that problem will never be solved by science."
-Charles Darwin

Scotty

• Alpha Strike Guru by appointment to the FWLM
  • Catalyst Demo Team
  • Colonel
« Reply #4 on: 26 January 2011, 12:14:02 »
Piranha getting Duke Nukem out actually gives me long-term hope for a new MechWarrior.

If they can bring the Duke, they can bring ANYTHING.
Catalyst Demo Agent #679

Kansas City players, or people who are just passing through the area, come join us at the Geekery just off Shawnee Mission Parkway for BattleTech!  Current days are Tuesdays in the afternoon and evening.  I can't make every single week, but odds are pretty good that somebody will be there.

BPRoberts

• Private
« Reply #5 on: 26 January 2011, 12:25:43 »
I dunno, I think we might've used up all our mojo with the 25th Anniversary set coming out.

topcat

• Corporal
« Reply #6 on: 26 January 2011, 21:33:03 »
Not quite sure how much Piranha Games had to do with DNF, but they were involved to some extent.  Also not so sure I have the utmost confidence in the group, having played NFS:Shift when it came out.  I'd love to see me some Mechwarrior, but realistically I don't see it happening for a while and not likely with the companies currently involved.

Alan Grant

• Captain
« Reply #7 on: 26 January 2011, 23:00:50 »
I'm hopeful. Whatever the odds.

Back in the day...Mechwarrior 2: Mercenaries was my introduction into Battletech. Fast forward to today, and I know a lot of kids who haven't heard of it. They aren't into the board game, the minis and such.

I honestly feel like a Mechwarrior game now and again is the best way to bring new generations of Battletech fans into the universe. Second perhaps only to a movie.

OverKill

• Lieutenant
  • Marauder MAD-3D "Guan-Yu"
« Reply #8 on: 28 January 2011, 02:39:08 »
I played the first Mechwarrior back sometime when EGA monitors were required (I upgraded from my CGA to an EGA just for that game).  I have followed the franchise throughout it's life cycle including spin offs like Mech Assault blah blah blah. Crescent Hawks Inception was another example of Battletech on computers.  I have purchased and played every single incarnation that has come from the Battletech universe.

Being able to see a Mechwarrior 5 released with similar gameplay to what I saw in the now infamous teaser trailer would be the be all to end all for me. I think technology has finally caught up to the point that game designers/artists can actually render what the Battletech universe is all about.

Sadly, money and greed get in the way of this.

I'm hopeful still but not overly so.

Cheers!
Colonel Mason Grimm
Grimm Reaper Company (Grimm's Reapers)
Piloting: Marauder MAD-3D - Guan-Yu
We are the things you see out of the corner of your eye!

target_destroyed

• Corporal
  • BOOM - Headshot!
« Reply #9 on: 28 January 2011, 19:24:06 »
I really hope this game sees the light of day. Mechwarrior 2 got me into BT to begin with, and seeing the trailer for this new game ultimately led to me finding this site and falling back in love w/ BT.
Star Captain Aaron Hazen - Trinary Bravo
9th Talon Cluster, Jade Falcon (Gamma) Galaxy

We are Crusaders and will trample all who stand in our way!

Youngblood

• Captain
  • metalmans no longer dumpy or metal, can't touch
« Reply #10 on: 29 January 2011, 05:03:59 »
I'm hopeful. Whatever the odds.

Back in the day...Mechwarrior 2: Mercenaries was my introduction into Battletech. Fast forward to today, and I know a lot of kids who haven't heard of it. They aren't into the board game, the minis and such.

I honestly feel like a Mechwarrior game now and again is the best way to bring new generations of Battletech fans into the universe. Second perhaps only to a movie.
You took the words right out of my fingers.  MW2: Mercs was ALSO my first BattleTech-related experience, and right now I feel like there's a LOT of potential out there for a deep, intricate mecha simulation to take advantage of in this day and age.

Bedwyr

• A Sticky Wicket
  • Global Moderator
  • Lieutenant Colonel
  • RIP. Again. And again. And again.
« Reply #11 on: 30 January 2011, 11:20:46 »
Well it'd be nice.  The time stretching between the intro video and now is getting bigger though.  I think Jordan's too ADHD to focus on this.  He might direct the company to come back to it, but it definitely has the feel of "Well that sucks, we can still do the game though and... oooh shiny iphone, we should really... oooh shiny ipad, we should really... oooh shiny facebook..."
Alas poor Photobucket. I knew him Horatio, a fellow of infinite jest, of most excellent fancy.

IndyRI

• Lieutenant
  • Is it really still snowing?
« Reply #12 on: 31 January 2011, 18:20:54 »
I have to echo the general sentiment. Mechwarrior 2 was how I got my start in CBT. And I know that MW3 pulled in a fair share as well. It's a crying shame to see a dearth of tie-in materials, because tabletop gaming is such a niche product that you really need that cross-promotion to pull in new generations. With games like Starcraft II revitalizing PC gaming, I think there's certainly potential, even if we can never expect a Mechwarrior game to be quite the blockbuster that MW2 was.
HEIRS OF AMARIS - An AU Setting for Classic Battletech

Come and see. Comments welcome.
http://www.classicbattletech.com/forums/index.php?topic=757.msg15033

Battlemech Designs Galore
http://www.classicbattletech.com/forums/index.php?topic=840.0

Luciora

• Major
« Reply #13 on: 02 February 2011, 15:04:38 »
Duke Nukem Forever is good practice in Vaporware if you ask me.

topcat

• Corporal
« Reply #14 on: 03 February 2011, 09:18:12 »
This thread got me excited to fire up MW4 Mercs again and... wow.  I just can't play it.  It looks terrible.  I've been irreparably spoiled by modern graphics.

My advice to S&T or whoever may buy the license from them: make the game, use non-HG designs, and make the line relevant again.  It isn't worth fighting over or paying for at the moment and the property isn't going to increase in value over time without a videogame and/or movie.

OverKill

• Lieutenant
« Reply #15 on: 03 February 2011, 14:10:23 »
I agree topcat. I did the same thing. I busted out my Mechwarrior 4 Vengeance disks, which I had lovingly put in storage, and installed it.

I took one look at the action and went "Ummm really?" The graphics were so sub par with modern day technology that my graphics card and most of the ram in my computer decided to sleep through the encounter.

Back in the day it was pretty bad ass but by today's standards it's more for nostalgia than anything else.

Based on the intro video alone I was REALLY REALLY looking fwd to Mechwarrior 5. Today's PCs and Consoles have the physical hardware required to run amazing games and I think Mechwarrior 5 could be done to up the ante in the simulation genre!

Oh if I was King For A Day!!! We'd be playing this instead of talking about it LOL
Colonel Mason Grimm

RacerX

• Sergeant
    • Royal Terra Guard - MWO Home
« Reply #16 on: 04 February 2011, 13:07:15 »
Well, I heard that MekPak 4 from MekTek was suppose to make some major graphics updates for the MW4 engine.  Let's hope.  The game is looking rather dated however the mech animations are still uber cool.  It is too bad that S&T dropped the ball on MW5.  The video was great and I was really looking forward to another game.  It would have gone a long way to hook new and younger players into the universe.

big-monkey

« Reply #17 on: 07 February 2011, 15:46:41 »
Would like to see a new MechWarrior game come out myself. Man, I remember the original MW pc game. heh. You lived as long as you didn't suffer a head shot and the graphics, by todays standards, stinks like a two day old diaper.

Mattlov

• Catalyst Demo Team
  • Lieutenant
  • Fnord.
« Reply #18 on: 07 February 2011, 15:51:26 »
I'm less concerned with how visually beautiful it is.  I'd rather just have a solid game with a story, some background info for newbies, and decent game play.

It doesn't have to be super-pretty.  But as a whole PACKAGE it needs to look good.
"The rules technically allow all sorts of bad ideas." -Moonsword

topcat

• Corporal
« Reply #19 on: 07 February 2011, 16:24:00 »
A good-looking game should be a given with today's technology.  Graphics have come a long way since MW4 Mercs debuted in 2002.

Capt Hungry

« Reply #20 on: 25 February 2011, 17:16:19 »
There is a high definition pack available for MW4: Mercs. I last played through the game with that mod and it was really fun. Yeah the game is almost 9 years old now, but it is still fun. Those wanting newer graphics should look at Mechwarrior: Living Legends. Yes, you need Crysis (and soon Crysis Wars), but if you want Battletech with newer graphics, that's our only choice right now.

I remember the joy and utter excitement when I saw the teaser vid. I will remain hopeful that SOME DAY, we'll be able to pilot a battlemech again.
 ::)

OverKill

• Lieutenant
« Reply #21 on: 25 February 2011, 18:12:27 »
That looks wicked! You can get in and out of a mech!?!?!?!?

Is this not considered "real" battlemech action?  [rockon]
Colonel Mason Grimm

FedSunsBorn

• Captain
« Reply #22 on: 25 February 2011, 18:57:08 »
I really hope this game sees the light of day. Mechwarrior 2 got me into BT to begin with, and seeing the trailer for this new game ultimately led to me finding this site and falling back in love w/ BT.

Same here. Definitely wish something could be done about a new Btech game but all we can do right now is wait things out like always.
Made by HikageMaru

Capt Hungry

« Reply #23 on: 25 February 2011, 21:20:26 »
That looks wicked! You can get in and out of a mech!?!?!?!?

Is this not considered "real" battlemech action?  [rockon]

Reading my post, I realize that my last sentence was a bit silly............anyway, I have yet to check out Living Legends for myself as I don't have a copy of Crysis - yet. Hope to rectify that soon. Watched a vid earlier on Youtube that showed someone walking up to a Vulture and hopping in. Guess that you can hop in and out at will.  Cool.
 8)

FedSunsBorn

• Captain
« Reply #24 on: 25 February 2011, 23:28:33 »
Yeah, I believe you start in some type of battlearmor and can actually fight with just the armor but you can also get different vehicles, Aerospace fighters and, of course, battlemechs. The better your score, the better equipement you can get for the match. Also, the aerospace dogfights seem pretty good with alot of airspace up and down and full range of movement. The vids look pretty nice but I can't afford to get Crysis just yet... :( Hopefully after school is finished. [rockon]
Made by HikageMaru

Stormwolf

• Master Sergeant
« Reply #25 on: 02 March 2011, 14:28:06 »
I hope that this game is made and that you can play as a house faction for the first time (MW4: vengeance doesn't really count).
I'm getting sick of playing as a merc. It would be nice to play as both Davion and Kurita in the same way how MW2 had Clan Wolf and Jade Falcon available.

We'll just have to wait and see I guess.

captnmartin

• Sergeant
  • Steiner, Nothing Finer
« Reply #26 on: 09 March 2011, 08:43:16 »
I dunno, I think we might've used up all our mojo with the 25th Anniversary set coming out.

Why do we keep calling it that?  It's not an anniversary collection, it's a starter box coming out on the 27th year of Battletech.
Captain is hilariously easy to set off, like a walking barrel of gunpowder within a self contained field of destructium and a great big button on his forehead that says "Push me for fireworks".

YingJanshi

• Major
  • Switch Friend Code: SW-4326-4622-8514
« Reply #27 on: 26 March 2011, 15:27:02 »
Gotta say, when I first saw the trailer for the MW reboot I was blown away  [drool]. Just the fact that buildings now actually affect combat is too cool. But I have to wonder how much the mess with HG ( >:() really affects the release of the game. I mean, even without the Unseen there are still a ton of useable 'Mechs from the time period. Personally I liked to see the Vindicator and Blackjack. Maybe even a Lancelot or Guillotine. Or even an UrbanMech. (Online Urbie Derbies!  :D) Not seeing the Unseen is sad, but doesn't really detract from the game.

Maybe we should start a facebook page begging S&T and PG to continue development?

I've been thinking about MW games as a whole and the one aspect of combat that they've all missed is physical combat. I was thinking the other day and I think I've come up with a simple way to implement it. I'm gonna use the XBox 360 controller as an example (because that's what I'd play it on): just use one of the face buttons (A, B, X, Y) as an action button. If you want to punch someone you just get up close and personal and aim at the upper part of the enemy 'Mech and press the action button, if you want to double punch just double-tap; to kick you aim at the lower part of the enemy and again press the action button. To push, aim for a punch and hold down the button. And if you want to charge, run full speed toward the target holding down the button, and it will function like an auto-aim in case they try to move out of the way at the last second (only auto-adjusts for small movements, your 'Mech is quite a sophisticated thinking computer after all). And you could even do DFA, by jumping and holding down the button while trying to maneuver over the target. (Of course this all assumes that you have a target lock on the enemy).

Just a few thoughts. Here's hoping we'll see it out within the next 5 years!

Initiate of the Order of Valhalla

(HBS: Backer #4,960)
(Clan Invasion: Backer #314)
(Mercenaries: Backer #6,017)

Toqtamish

• Private
« Reply #28 on: 27 March 2011, 15:03:46 »
I would love to see a new MW game. MW 2 is what first got me into the Battletech/MW universe. Still have my original discs for it. Course its hard to get it to play on newer PC's. My favorite is MW3 however. Love that game. Reinstalling it now and playing it again. MW 3 is by far the best of the series.

F T C

• Corporal
« Reply #29 on: 30 March 2011, 11:57:35 »
Was there ever any info on how the mechs were to be constructed?  What I mean is were they to be like MW4:Mercs--which to me was more like battlemunchkin, and thus I hated the game--or is it to be more like the tabletop board game--which I would love--construction rules?
"F T C is old.  He hates new stuff." -- Warmarshall's wife

Register