Author Topic: Mech Grenades! Putting those arms to work.  (Read 2182 times)

Adastra

• Sergeant
  • ~(,, _`;;'>
Mech Grenades! Putting those arms to work.
« on: 04 October 2020, 20:30:29 »
With the high strength and efficiency of Myomer armatures, mechs have become king of the battlefield, and with that role, comes the impetus to take full advantage of the mech's unique capabilities. Nothing more than a payload with a time or impact fuse to activate the contents, grenades have been a staple of infantry combat for millennia. Yet the simplicity, light weight, and power of thrown explosives can also be applied to give mechs an edge. Ranging from smoke dispensers to depth charges to explosive javelins, these devices are a light and inexpensive way to add punch

-Grenade attacks occur in the Physical Attack phase, cannot be used in conjunction with physical attacks, and are based on Piloting Skill, but are treated as ranged attacks for all other rules purposes.

-In order to make an attack with grenades, the attacking mech must use an arm with no undamaged or missing actuators, including Lower Arm and Hand Actuators, and cannot have fired weapons located in that arm the previous phase. The target number for the attack is equal to the pilot's Piloting Skill. A mech can only make one grenade attack per turn.

-Grenade "ammunition" consists of half-ton armored racks that take up a single critical slot. Grenades are light, but bulky. Grenades tend to use insensitive explosives, so ammo will not explode when receiving a critical hit, but the grenades will be destroyed.

Some tentative examples:

Frag Grenades- Ammo:2, range:1/2/3, 4d6 damage vs infantry, no damage to all other targets.
HE Grenades- Ammo:2, Range: 1/2/3, 5 damage. Damage doubled against structures.
Smoke Grenades- Ammo:2, Range: 3, Targets a Hex and cannot scatter, lays down Light Smoke in a circular area 3 hexes wide (7 hexes total) that lasts for 3 turns. This smoke becomes Heavy Smoke right before the Physical Attack phase on the second turn of the effect, as the grenade more thoroughly fills the target area.

EDIT: Some new ones I was brainstorming:

Demolition Charge: Ammo:1 . This grenade must be placed in the same hex as the mech that's using it. When the demo charge is placed, the controlling player may choose the number of turns until detonation. On the End Phase of the final turn, the demo charge detonates and all targets in the demo charge's hex take 20 damage in 5 point clusters. Buildings take twice as much damage.

Mech Javelin: Ammo: 100/Mech Tonnage (Rounded Down), Range: 1/2/5/10, Damage: Mech Tonnage/10 (Rounded Down). Javelin attacks take an automatic +2 to-hit against targets that have moved at least one hex in the preceding Movement Phase.
« Last Edit: 06 October 2020, 03:58:31 by Adastra »

RifleMech

• Major
Re: Mech Grenades! Putting those arms to work.
« Reply #1 on: 06 October 2020, 02:56:10 »
Sounds cool.  :thumbsup: Are you using the Mech throwing ranges from TacOps?

Adastra

• Sergeant
  • ~(,, _`;;'>
« Reply #2 on: 06 October 2020, 03:41:04 »
Sounds cool.  :thumbsup: Are you using the Mech throwing ranges from TacOps?

Nope (didn't actually realize those rules existed), I just gave the grenades small laser range for simplicity and because it was a range bracket that made sense for the concept.

Liam's Ghost

• Lieutenant Colonel
  • Miss Chitty finds your honor rules quaint.
« Reply #3 on: 06 October 2020, 04:42:46 »
Noticing this thread made me abruptly realize that mechs can easily carry and throw aircraft bombs at their enemies.

Even a wasp can pitch one three hexes without a problem.
Good news is the lab boys say the symptoms of asbestos poisoning show an immediate latency of 44.6 years. So if you're thirty or over you're laughing. Worst case scenario you miss out on a few rounds of canasta, plus you've forwarded the cause of science by three centuries. I punch those numbers into my calculator, it makes a happy face.

(indirect accessory to the) Slayer of Monitors!

RifleMech

• Major
« Reply #4 on: 07 October 2020, 02:05:36 »
Nope (didn't actually realize those rules existed), I just gave the grenades small laser range for simplicity and because it was a range bracket that made sense for the concept.

Cool. Might check the throwing rules. They're cool.

Noticing this thread made me abruptly realize that mechs can easily carry and throw aircraft bombs at their enemies.

>:D

Intermittent_Coherence

• Lieutenant
« Reply #5 on: 07 October 2020, 17:43:39 »
I'd make the range directly related to engine rating.
0-200 : 1
205-300 : 2
305-400 : 3

garhkal

• Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #6 on: 07 October 2020, 23:57:18 »
I like this idea.  Especially the "They take place during the physical phase"
It's not who you kill, but how they die!
You can't shoot what you can't see.
You can not dodge it if you don't know it's coming.

Adastra

• Sergeant
  • ~(,, _`;;'>
« Reply #7 on: 08 October 2020, 01:53:59 »
I'd make the range directly related to engine rating.
0-200 : 1
205-300 : 2
305-400 : 3

Makes sense, just not sure if I can think of a good balanced way to handle it.

Maybe something like "short range is equal to (engine rating/100 rounded up)-1, medium range is twice that, long range is three times"? So the range brackets would be something like:
0-100: Too weak to throw grenades
105-200 : 1/2/3
205-300 : 2/4/6
305-400 : 3/6/9

Alternatively, I was considering using the Mech Javelin ranges (1/2/5/10) or something similar (perhaps 1/2/4/6?) for most grenades.

RifleMech

• Major
« Reply #8 on: 08 October 2020, 02:29:49 »
Depending on the Mech's weight and possible use of TSM the throwing range is up to 9 hexes.

Andras

• Lieutenant
« Reply #9 on: 08 October 2020, 14:38:42 »

Or just the warhead section of an ArrowIV missile.

garhkal

• Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #10 on: 08 October 2020, 15:13:42 »

Well if an enemy 'drops ammo' (dumps it), i can't see why a mech with two good hands, couldn't pick the ammo up and try to toss them.
It's not who you kill, but how they die!
You can't shoot what you can't see.
You can not dodge it if you don't know it's coming.

Cannonshop

• Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #11 on: 17 October 2020, 21:47:54 »

considering an Arrow IV missile weighs 250 kilograms and does more BLAST damage than a 1000 kilogram bomb?  you not only get more distance with the throw, but more boom for the toss.
"If you have to ask permission, then it's no longer a Right, it has been turned into a Privilege-something that can be and will be taken from you when convenient."

VhenRa

• Captain
« Reply #12 on: 18 October 2020, 02:03:57 »
considering an Arrow IV missile weighs 250 kilograms and does more BLAST damage than a 1000 kilogram bomb?  you not only get more distance with the throw, but more boom for the toss.

200 Kilos. 5 missiles per ton remember.

Cannonshop

• Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #13 on: 22 October 2020, 08:15:04 »
200 Kilos. 5 missiles per ton remember.

Sooth.
"If you have to ask permission, then it's no longer a Right, it has been turned into a Privilege-something that can be and will be taken from you when convenient."

Renard

• Master Sergeant
« Reply #14 on: 22 October 2020, 08:45:03 »
To keep it balanced, it feels like there should be some penalty on the other side of the balance sheet?

Like, the reason for grenades is that a mech might be undergunned, so it's a "primitive" way to bump up the mech's offensive capability.  Clipping some bombs on the mech's back allows it to bring more ordnance into combat.

But this increases tonnage over the design's limits, so carrying more grenades leads to an MP reduction, and carrying grenades is hazardous --- hit one, and they probably all go off, and that mech suffers an exterior ammo explosion.

If you're the Lyrans and field assault mechs as scouts, this seems like not the way to go.  But if you are periphery pirates or a garrison unit facing a front line attack force, this lets you take extra risk to bring some more damage to the table.

Adastra

• Sergeant
  • ~(,, _`;;'>
« Reply #15 on: 22 October 2020, 14:18:33 »
To keep it balanced, it feels like there should be some penalty on the other side of the balance sheet?

Like, the reason for grenades is that a mech might be undergunned, so it's a "primitive" way to bump up the mech's offensive capability.  Clipping some bombs on the mech's back allows it to bring more ordnance into combat.

But this increases tonnage over the design's limits, so carrying more grenades leads to an MP reduction, and carrying grenades is hazardous --- hit one, and they probably all go off, and that mech suffers an exterior ammo explosion.

If you're the Lyrans and field assault mechs as scouts, this seems like not the way to go.  But if you are periphery pirates or a garrison unit facing a front line attack force, this lets you take extra risk to bring some more damage to the table.

Well, I like to think that the mech grenades I picked were fairly balanced in terms of the tonnage, crits, range, etc. I justified their somewhat outsized weight in relation to their power as needing armor and a sort of mini-CASE for the rack. For things like hucking Arrow-IVs, yeah, a downside seems in order.

Perhaps every hit on the section where the Arrow-IVs are being carried forces a roll to see if they’re hit and explode? Makes sense, since without some kind of dedicated armor system they’re just kinda sitting around on the outside.