Author Topic: Confusing wording in the SBF aerospace sub-chapter  (Read 130 times)

Mostro Joe

• Warrant Officer
Confusing wording in the SBF aerospace sub-chapter
« on: 22 April 2024, 03:44:23 »
In Interstellar Operations: Battleforce, pag. 176 we read "If aerospace Squadrons from opposing Forces occupy the same zone at any time during movement, Engagement Control must be determined in order to see if combat occurs."

What it means exactly "occupy the same zone at ANY time"? For me it means that if I enter a radar zone and I want to go through I have to make an Engagement Controll roll. But that's ok because it is the same rule we have seen in pag. 167 for the ground units. BUT if I just want to stay there? I have to immediately do the EC roll? In other words, if I want to finish my movement in an enemy occupied zone, and the enemy formations do not leave that zone or have moved yet, the engagement is not automatic as instead it happens with the ground fight? I have to do anyway a EC roll?

And again at pag. 176: "Because an aerospace zone can hold multiple Squadrons, it is possible to have multiple engagements and a single Squadron engaged with more than one opposing Squadron". This is very clear.
BUT immediatley after we read: "Once a Squadron is engaged with another Squadron, it may not declare an attack on another Squadron. However, it may be engaged by another Squadron that has not already made an attack" ... what it means??

If my squadron is engaged by two or three enemy squadrons, it means that I can attack only those ones? And not an hypothetical fourth squadron that is indeed in my space but that I am not engaged with? Ok, but what it means the following phrase "However, it may be engaged by another Squadron that has not already made an attack" ??

I think the text should be revised a little  :huh:

« Last Edit: 22 April 2024, 04:06:21 by Mostro Joe »

Zematus737

• Corporal
Re: Confusing wording in the SBF aerospace sub-chapter
« Reply #1 on: 22 April 2024, 10:46:29 »
As the entire zone in an Atmospheric Radar Map is considered the same 'space' as far as line of sight and range go, one unit (unit 1) can be in an engagement with C and enemy B can begin an engagement with unit 1, even as C might have at that moment an ongoing engagement with unit 2.  These would all be legit crowded fights where the stacking limit on the ARM is 3 and 3.  Once an engagement is decided, it has to be resolved to begin another one, but one flight or squadron can be engaged by various hostiles at the same time.

As far as making an EngCR when entering a zone without having any intention of hostilities, you can only presume that on a move into the zone, after confirming that the enemy hostile present also in that zone does NOT want to engage your unit, instead of continuing on (if you still have movement remaining) you can just decide to stay there and unless that unit has not already moved it would not get the second chance to commit in the same turn.  At least that's the way I read it.  Drop in, 'You want to engage or not? No? k.  I end my movement here.'

Mostro Joe

• Warrant Officer
Re: Confusing wording in the SBF aerospace sub-chapter
« Reply #2 on: 23 April 2024, 00:19:16 »
As the entire zone in an Atmospheric Radar Map is considered the same 'space' as far as line of sight and range go, one unit (unit 1) can be in an engagement with C and enemy B can begin an engagement with unit 1, even as C might have at that moment an ongoing engagement with unit 2.  These would all be legit crowded fights where the stacking limit on the ARM is 3 and 3.  Once an engagement is decided, it has to be resolved to begin another one, but one flight or squadron can be engaged by various hostiles at the same time.

I did nont understand you exemple at all  :cry:

As far as making an EngCR when entering a zone without having any intention of hostilities, you can only presume that on a move into the zone, after confirming that the enemy hostile present also in that zone does NOT want to engage your unit, instead of continuing on (if you still have movement remaining) you can just decide to stay there and unless that unit has not already moved it would not get the second chance to commit in the same turn.  At least that's the way I read it.  Drop in, 'You want to engage or not? No? k.  I end my movement here.'

It can be. I'm not so sure anyway. For ground units the engagement is automatic for enemy units that end their movement in the same hex. I don't know what the author means for space.