Author Topic: Iron wind updating their scale?  (Read 3141 times)

Fabe

• Corporal
Iron wind updating their scale?
« on: 27 December 2022, 21:31:22 »
Is Iron wind up dating the scale of their miniatures to match the current CGL minis? I've been thinking of getting some but it would be nice if I could get stuff that the same size as the Catalyst stuff I have.

worktroll

• Ombudsman
  • Lieutenant General
  • 504th "Gateway" Division
    • There are Monsters in my Sky!
Re: Iron wind updating their scale?
« Reply #1 on: 27 December 2022, 21:38:06 »
IWM minis made to match the new CGL plastics are typically made from the same 3D masters. But there's a step in producing metal minis - the master has to be put in the uncured silicone mould, and subjected to heat & pressure to make the mould - this is nicknamed "the squeeze".

And the squeeze is a black art. It's not uncommon for a mould to lose a little in breadth or depth in the process. I understand the IWM Stinger and Catapult match the plastics pretty well, but I've seen reports that the Awesome looks a little undersized next to the plastics. Which in a way is ironic because the plastic Awesome is somewhat oversized for an 80-tonner.
* No, FASA wasn't big on errata - ColBosch
* The Housebook series is from the 80's and is the foundation of Btech, the 80's heart wrapped in heavy metal that beats to this day - Sigma
* To sum it up: FASAnomics: By Cthulhu, for Cthulhu - Moonsword
* Because Battletech is a conspiracy by Habsburg & Bourbon pretenders - MadCapellan
* The Hellbringer is cool, either way. It's not cool because it's bad, it's cool because it's bad with balls - Nightsky
* It was a glorious time for people who felt that we didn't have enough Marauder variants - HABeas2, re "Empires Aflame"

Known Glitch

• Warrant Officer
  • Why haven't we fixed this yet?
« Reply #2 on: 27 December 2022, 23:30:20 »
FWIW: The new sculpt IWM Shadow Hawk is pretty much a spot-on match for the plastic one.

worktroll

• Ombudsman
  • Lieutenant General
« Reply #3 on: 27 December 2022, 23:35:55 »
The aim is, I imagine, to get them to match. But people who remember the reseen Grand Crusader know the squeeze is cruel.
* The Housebook series is from the 80's and is the foundation of Btech, the 80's heart wrapped in heavy metal that beats to this day - Sigma
* Because Battletech is a conspiracy by Habsburg & Bourbon pretenders - MadCapellan
* The Hellbringer is cool, either way. It's not cool because it's bad, it's cool because it's bad with balls - Nightsky
* It was a glorious time for people who felt that we didn't have enough Marauder variants - HABeas2, re "Empires Aflame"

Alex Keller

• Captain
« Reply #4 on: 28 December 2022, 10:46:12 »
The Shadow Hawk and Catapult are perfect. The Battlemaster, Awesome, Thunderbolt, Griffin, Wolverine are noticibly smaller. Not sure about the Commando and Locust.

Known Glitch

• Warrant Officer
  • Why haven't we fixed this yet?
« Reply #5 on: 28 December 2022, 13:25:13 »
The Shadow Hawk and Catapult are perfect. The Battlemaster, Awesome, Thunderbolt, Griffin, Wolverine are noticibly smaller. Not sure about the Commando and Locust.

The Locust is a 1:1 match.

worktroll

• Ombudsman
  • Lieutenant General
« Reply #6 on: 28 December 2022, 15:23:10 »
Good news!

Psycho

• CamoSpecs
  • Captain
« Reply #7 on: 29 December 2022, 11:46:19 »
FWIW: The new sculpt IWM Shadow Hawk is pretty much a spot-on match for the plastic one.

The metal came first.

worktroll

• Ombudsman
  • Lieutenant General
« Reply #8 on: 29 December 2022, 13:33:51 »
As did the Wasp, as I now recall. Any other early metals? Is the new Ostscout slated for plastic?

pokefan548

• Captain
  • The Barracuda knows where it is, hence the -2 mod.
    • Poke's Aerospace Academy (Discord Server)
« Reply #9 on: 29 December 2022, 13:45:22 »
As did the Wasp, as I now recall. Any other early metals? Is the new Ostscout slated for plastic?
Plastic OstScout has been shown for Mercs.
Poke's Aerospace Academy
The best place to learn and discuss AeroTech.

"Poke is just a figment of our imagination really." - Siam
"Poke isn't a real person, he's just an algorithm programmed by CGL to try and get people to try the aerospace rules." - Phantasm
"I want to plant the meat eating trees and the meat growing trees on the same planet! Watch that plant on plant violence!" - Sawtooth
Leviathans: The Great War Backer #224
BattleTech: Mercenaries Backer #23

Sartris

• Codex Conditor
  • BattleTech Volunteer
  • Colonel
  • Cap’n-Generalissimost
    • Master Unit List
« Reply #10 on: 29 December 2022, 15:01:14 »

There was also a very briefly offered con-exclusive Valkyrie

You bought the box set and are ready to expand your bt experience. Now what? | Modern Sourcebook Index | FASA Sourcebook Index | Print on Demand Index
Equipment Reference Cards | DIY Pilot Cards | PaperTech Mech and Vehicle Counters

Interviewer: Since you’ve stopped making art, how do you spend your time?
Paul Chan Breathers: Oh, I’m a breather. I’m a respirateur. Isn’t that enough?

GRUD

• Captain
  • Quinn's Quads - 'Mechs on the March!
« Reply #11 on: 30 December 2022, 14:22:18 »
There was also a very briefly offered con-exclusive Valkyrie
I Think the Wasp and Valkyrie were both at GC '19 and '21, but I don't think I saw it at GC '22.  :-\

Because of the HG vs. PCI/HBS/CGL Court thingie, IWM couldn't "Sell" them, though they could Produce them.  But then they had to be sold at the CGL Booth.  ::)
To me, Repros are 100% Wrong, and there's NO  room for me to give ground on this subject. I'm not just an Immovable Object on this, I'm THE Immovable Object. 3D Prints are just 3D Repros.

Something to bear in Mind. Defending the BT IP is Frowned upon here.

Remember: Humor is NOT Tolerated here. Have a Nice Day!

Hey! Can't a guy get any Privacy around here!

Guardian11

• Warrant Officer
« Reply #12 on: 18 January 2023, 16:13:45 »
I Think the Wasp and Valkyrie were both at GC '19 and '21, but I don't think I saw it at GC '22.  :-\

Because of the HG vs. PCI/HBS/CGL Court thingie, IWM couldn't "Sell" them, though they could Produce them.  But then they had to be sold at the CGL Booth.  ::)

Both were at the IWM booth at GC 22. I know, as I picked up one of each, though that was on the first day of the Con, so they could have sold out.