Author Topic: 25th Anniversary intro box Atlas AS7-K2  (Read 1708 times)

worktroll

• Ombudsman
  • Lieutenant General
  • 504th "Gateway" Division
    • There are Monsters in my Sky!
25th Anniversary intro box Atlas AS7-K2
« on: 30 March 2014, 04:55:13 »
Okay, so we all know that the 25th Anniversary minis are ... less than perfect. This, however, means they're much more fun to mod and work with, as you don't mind so much what you do with them ;)

The Atlas in the old intro sets is a mixed bag. It's not that bad a sculpt, but it seems to be based on the 2nd sculpt "Shaq" Atlas - it's very tall and skinny.

So I had a plastic Atlas that was missing one arm ... how? Well, I was making an Atlas Samsonov from another plastic, and, well, I managed to misplace one arm. So I had to steal another from somewhere. Which left a second plastic Atlas short one arm.

I played with the idea of doing battle damage, but mucked around with arms from the bitz box. When I tried the arms from the DA Arbalest, it seemed a good fit in some ways. Not your typical old-school brawler arms ... more dynamic, thinner ... and that's when I remembered the "goofy horn head" Atlas from MW:DA. The AS7-K2.

In this case, the long legs and thinner arms actually worked in the minis favour. I removed the other arm, grafted on the Arbalest arms, made up the weapons fitout, and was fairly happy. I decided not to pursue the whole array of spikes, but decided to work the head over and add a pair of horns.

And here it is ... in Republic Standing Guard colours, my take on the lanky AS7-K2. (Except better ;) )

Did a repose on the left leg to get it moving, more in touch with the more dynamic arms. Quite pleased with how it turned out. And from ground level, it's not your father's Atlas, but it has more gravitas than you'd expect from either its in-game or physical origins ...

Never going to be CSO quality, but I'm happy :)

Comments as always welcomed,

W.
* No, FASA wasn't big on errata - ColBosch
* The Housebook series is from the 80's and is the foundation of Btech, the 80's heart wrapped in heavy metal that beats to this day - Sigma
* To sum it up: FASAnomics: By Cthulhu, for Cthulhu - Moonsword
* Because Battletech is a conspiracy by Habsburg & Bourbon pretenders - MadCapellan
* The Hellbringer is cool, either way. It's not cool because it's bad, it's cool because it's bad with balls - Nightsky
* It was a glorious time for people who felt that we didn't have enough Marauder variants - HABeas2, re "Empires Aflame"

Davion_Boy_74

• Warrant Officer
Re: 25th Anniversary intro box Atlas AS7-K2
« Reply #1 on: 30 March 2014, 05:10:01 »
A very ... dare I say it ? ...Nice conversion  O0 O0,

Dave.

TheMaster1955

• Captain
« Reply #2 on: 30 March 2014, 05:37:30 »
well done O0 O0
Life: Some assembly required!

jimdigris

• Catalyst Demo Team
  • Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #3 on: 30 March 2014, 07:48:33 »
I like it! O0 It reminds me of a Stooping Hawk.

TS_Hawk

• Catalyst Demo Team
  • Major
« Reply #4 on: 30 March 2014, 10:20:33 »
very nice.

Thank you Hikage
Agent 694 N. Idaho

avon1985

• Major
« Reply #5 on: 30 March 2014, 16:38:53 »