Author Topic: Combined Arms Battalion, FRR 3rd Hussars, Invasion era  (Read 12100 times)

worktroll

• Ombudsman
  • Colonel
  • 504th "Gateway" Division
    • There are Monsters in my Sky!
Combined Arms Battalion, FRR 3rd Hussars, Invasion era
« on: 23 January 2016, 23:40:32 »
Okay, since Solaris 7 got taken down to move, I've got to try some other photo hosting ... so giving Google Pics a go. If this works, I'll post more details & photos.

* No, FASA wasn't big on errata - ColBosch
* The Housebook series is from the 80's and is the foundation of Btech, the 80's heart wrapped in heavy metal that beats to this day - Sigma
* To sum it up: FASAnomics: By Cthulhu, for Cthulhu - Moonsword
* Because Battletech is a conspiracy by Habsburg & Bourbon pretenders - MadCapellan
* The Hellbringer is cool, either way. It's not cool because it's bad, it's cool because it's bad with balls - Nightsky
* It was a glorious time for people who felt that we didn't have enough Marauder variants - HABeas2, re "Empires Aflame"

Louie N

• Lieutenant
Re: Combined Arms Battalion, FRR 3rd Hussars, Invasion era
« Reply #1 on: 24 January 2016, 00:50:55 »
Nice looking force.  What are the small hovercraft?

Thanks

Mecha82

• Lieutenant Colonel
  • Some things never change
« Reply #2 on: 24 January 2016, 06:25:45 »
Very nice O0.
Star Captain John Malthus, Kappa Galaxy, Clan Jade Falcon 
Star Captain Johannes Bekker, Delta Galaxy, Clan Ghost Bear 
Captain John Bailey, 1st Avalon Hussars, Federated Suns  
Tai-i Jiro Takahashi, 2nd Legion of Vega, Draconis Combine

jimdigris

• Catalyst Demo Team
  • Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #3 on: 24 January 2016, 07:36:17 »
Well done. O0

Vash The Stampede

• Captain
  • LOVE AND PEACE!!!
« Reply #4 on: 24 January 2016, 11:27:45 »
Nice looking force.  What are the small hovercraft?

Thanks

By what I can tell, they're Gabriels. I have a set of those too. Tiny, but actually a cool mini.

I like the scheme a lot! Kind of a Scandinavian winter camo styling. Always like seeing combined arms, I think it gives battletech depth and finesse.
I'm like a hunter of peace. One who chases the elusive mayfly of love... or something like that.

"I crush little childrens dreams everyday...Ralph your not a kangaroo...Ralph your also not a trophy....." (Quote used by Jesse Richards (ExtremeBloodAspUser))

worktroll

• Ombudsman
  • Colonel
Okay, so it looks like Google Photos will do for the moment.

So, now the interminable discussion. Blah blah combined arms battalions blah blah factions blah eras.

So I decided to do one "minor" faction per era. For the Invasion era, I chose the FRR (because basically, blink and you've missed it ;) ).

The attraction of the FRR was it's grab-bag nature. Inheriting a mess of Combine designs, some Lyran salvage, gifts from ComStar, and whatever junk could be obtained on the open market, it seemed a great way to put some of my "magic Davion warehouse" of unpainted minis into circulation.

Choice of a unit proved ... difficult. Many FRR regiments only used light/medium designs. Others had ridiculously complex paint-schemes. The 3rd Hussars allowed a range of weights, a mix of designs, and had the sort of quirky background ("green veterans") that appealed. And the splinter camo scheme was something I hadn't done before.

Technically, it's a light grey base, with geometrical shapes in light blue (should have been teal, but the only teal paint I found had virtually the albedo of the base, which meant it didn't stand out at all), blue, and dark grey. Detailing, then hit with a light/medium black ink wash to bring up panelling. I did the splintering by doing a mix of pointy triangles, pentagons & diamonds in the different colours in random order, with crossovers & the like. While the end result is ... good, not camospecs quality but clearly what it's meant to be, it was so darn annoying! While I wouldn't let myself give up on it, I really didn't get the pleasure from doing that scheme that I've had from all the other things I've done. So consider it "experiment done."

Anyway, here's the pictures to go with it!

First up, the 'Mech company:

The Heavy Lance consists of a Dragon DRG-5N, Bombardier BMB-10D, Awesome AWS-8V, and Zeus SEU-6S. It's capable of being an Assault, Fire Support, Direct Fire, or Heavy Battle lance in AS. Some notes on the Dragon: 1) always bend the right arm. Makes them look so much better. Simple swings of the arms add so much. 2) Even a small repose on one leg also adds. The Bombardier is the "new kit" here, while the Zeus mini is an old 25th Anniversary plastic - not great quality, but the simple reposes on the arms adds some much-needed "attitude".

The Medium Lance consists of a Grim Reaper GRM-R-P29, Vindictor "Avenging Angel" VND-1AA, Panther PNT-10K, and Whitworth WTH-1S. In AS, it's either a Medium Battle lance, or (most likely) a Command Lance. The battalion commander has the Grim Reaper for his command ride. The "AA" - apparently these were the gifts of the Capellan Confederation to the new state post-4th War. Gee, nice of them! But it works well here - AS stats-wise it's more or less equal to the Whitworth or Panther, it's higher IS helping compensate for the weaker armour.

And the Light Lance consists of a Boewulf BEO-12, Assassin ASN-21, Jenner JNR-7D, and Spider SDR-5K. They're fast enough to skirmish with Clan lights and not die immediately, but lack the punch to duke it out with them. As always, simple reposes on the Assassin - in this case, one leg, and repointing the medium laser - add a lot to the punch of the mini.

Now we move on to the Armour Company, here all laagered up for the night (while the crew, no doubt, are getting lagered up ...)

The "heavy" platoon is made up of Ultra-variant Vedette tanks. The idea is that they serve as a "striker" unit, exploiting their (comparatively) high ground speed & mobility and long weapons range. With the "Sniper" role in IS, they can play as medium battle, fire lance, or support lance. I have to say that the mini's about as anaemic as their game properties; it's just a weird looking thing that doesn't seem to work terribly well as a 50t tank. Ah well, that's why the FRR got them ;)

But then we get something I regard well as a 50-ton tank! The Striker platoon has those archetypal "hover tanks", the Scimitar. Love these, and love the mini! They can roll as Light Striker, Recon or Pursuit lance, and work admirably in these roles - at least, against most IS foes.

And lastly the "suicide sled squad", relying on sheer speed, comparative harmlessness, and testicular fortitude to get "in-and-out" with details on the enemy - a platoon of Gabriel recon hovers. Able to be a Light Recon, Pursuit, or (if suicidally necessary) a Light Battle lance, these guys do have some small hope of not marking enemy presence by the smoke from their burning chasses.

And finally, the Infantry company, using two locally-made Heavy Hover APCs for transport (one standard, one LRM version). The SRM and Support Laser platoons travel in the standard APC, while the Foot Rifles travel in the "IFV".

I actually had a lot of fun painting the little guys up in FRR uniforms, courtesy of FM:ComStar. Probably the most fun I had doing this whole battalion!

Currently working on RoTS & LOM, both of which I'm finding both easier and more enjoyable. Still, I did my best to complete this lot, and feel satisfaction that I got them done well enough.

Comments & questions appreciated, as always!

Cheers,

W.
« Last Edit: 31 January 2016, 21:27:41 by worktroll »
* The Housebook series is from the 80's and is the foundation of Btech, the 80's heart wrapped in heavy metal that beats to this day - Sigma
* Because Battletech is a conspiracy by Habsburg & Bourbon pretenders - MadCapellan
* The Hellbringer is cool, either way. It's not cool because it's bad, it's cool because it's bad with balls - Nightsky
* It was a glorious time for people who felt that we didn't have enough Marauder variants - HABeas2, re "Empires Aflame"

Colt Ward

• Lieutenant General
  • Gott Mit Uns
    • Merc Periphery Guide- Bakunin
« Reply #6 on: 24 January 2016, 17:43:38 »
Assuming those are MWDA Maxim with some mods?
Colt Ward
Clan Invasion Backer #149, Leviathans #104

"We come in peace, please ignore the bloodstains."

"Greetings, Mechwarrior. You have been recruited by the Star League to defend the Frontier against Daoshen and the Capellan armada."

worktroll

• Ombudsman
  • Colonel
« Reply #7 on: 24 January 2016, 17:53:08 »
DA Foxes with the MG turrets removed, and a GW Epic Hydra launcher tacked on for the LRM APC. Them, plus DA Giggins, are my go-to for "locally produced heavy APCs". I do have my share of the metal IWM versions, but sometimes these work just fine.

W.

Colt Ward

• Lieutenant General
  • Gott Mit Uns
« Reply #8 on: 24 January 2016, 17:55:38 »
Yeah, I have the RWR war crime wagon for a default tracked APC and bought some of the Dropzone Commander Resistance APCs for more generic ones.  After finally finding my box of MWDA figures I want to use I will be waiting for warmer weather to adjust them.
Colt Ward

"Greetings, Mechwarrior. You have been recruited by the Star League to defend the Frontier against Daoshen and the Capellan armada."

Stinger

• Freelance Artist
  • Lieutenant
  • Artist, Writer, 3D Modeler Extraordinaire
« Reply #9 on: 25 January 2016, 08:59:13 »
Hey Worktroll, I think permissions are set wrong on those Google photos. I see the first image in the first post, but all the other images aren't there.

Just a heads up!

worktroll

• Ombudsman
  • Colonel
« Reply #10 on: 25 January 2016, 18:23:54 »
Hey Worktroll, I think permissions are set wrong on those Google photos. I see the first image in the first post, but all the other images aren't there.

Just a heads up!

Weird. Shows for me, duh  :crazy2: I think I've shared the album; anything showing now?

Colt Ward

• Lieutenant General
  • Gott Mit Uns
« Reply #11 on: 25 January 2016, 18:47:34 »
Lol, I have the opposite . . . I could see it all fine the first time on the work computer, did not see them on the home computer, and now again on the work computer they are boxes with little Xs.  But the first & main photo still comes in fine.
Colt Ward

Daemion

• Major
  • The Future of BattleTech
    • Never Tales and Other Daydreams
« Reply #12 on: 28 January 2016, 14:23:57 »
I'm having the same problem with the first photo only, and all the rest are little '?' Boxes.

Still, it's nice to see the big picture up top.

It's your world. You can do anything you want in it. - Bob Ross

Every thought and device conceived by Satan and man must be explored and found wanting. - Donald Grey Barnhouse on the purpose of history and time.

I helped make a game! ^_^  - Forge Of War: Tactics

worktroll

• Ombudsman
  • Colonel
« Reply #13 on: 31 January 2016, 20:21:48 »
Okay, I may have fixed the image problem - please do me a favour and feel free to comment on either the paintwork, or the quality of the little red X boxes ;)

Thanks,

W.

Charlie 6

• Captain
« Reply #14 on: 31 January 2016, 20:47:31 »
Okay, I may have fixed the image problem - please do me a favour and feel free to comment on either the paintwork, or the quality of the little red X boxes ;)

Thanks,

W.
No red X boxes; I'm seeing minus symbols inside circles.  Don't know if that means anything.

Ratboy

• Catalyst Demo Team
  • Master Sergeant
« Reply #15 on: 31 January 2016, 21:00:09 »
From what I remember (I use picasaweb as well) you need to have the images in a publicly viewable folder.

You can test this yourself, just use a private browsing session and do not log in to google.

Can you see this pic?

« Last Edit: 31 January 2016, 21:19:26 by Ratboy »
Jim Williamson - CDT Agent #206
NJ, USA

Colt Ward

• Lieutenant General
  • Gott Mit Uns
« Reply #16 on: 31 January 2016, 21:01:08 »
I have black X boxes here at work.  Hey Charlie 6, nice to see you seems its been a while.  Might look at the end of the One Hex Wonders in the Terrain topic, I tried building a mini of a 75mm gun based on scraps from around the house.
Colt Ward

worktroll

• Ombudsman
  • Colonel
« Reply #17 on: 31 January 2016, 21:28:57 »
I can see the pic. I think my mistake was assuming that if I moved the images to "a shared folder", the links would remain the same. I've updated the main post with fresh links. Anything now?

Thanks again,

W.

manticore72

• Warrant Officer
« Reply #18 on: 31 January 2016, 21:33:13 »
I can now see all the pics. Nice work, sir.

worktroll

• Ombudsman
  • Colonel
« Reply #19 on: 31 January 2016, 21:38:14 »
Hallelujiah! Finally got it.

For anyone else interested in using Google Photos, and who has a Google account, if you choose their default "High Resolution" option, storage is effectively free - doesn't count against your space limit unless you pick "Original Resolution" option.

Then:

1) Upload your photo
2) Create a collection, or add it to an existing collection (to help organise things)
3) Then click on the photo.
4) Click on the Sharing symbol
5) Choose "Add to a shared album"; the first time, you'll have to pick "create a shared album").
6) After that, always pick the same icon shown underneath called "shared album, # items"
7) Then go to the Assistant, pick Shared Albums from the options on the left, and pick the image
8) Then right-click on the image and pick "copy image location".

Sol7 - much better ;)

W.

worktroll

• Ombudsman
  • Colonel
« Reply #20 on: 31 January 2016, 21:53:25 »
And as a special thanks to those who stuck with this *****-*****-***-******-******-****** image thread, a (hopefully) showing hint on a forthcoming project, which I'll take to the third level ... ;)

Colt Ward

• Lieutenant General
  • Gott Mit Uns
« Reply #21 on: 31 January 2016, 23:53:41 »
Hmm . . . Blakists?  Shadow Division?
Colt Ward

worktroll

• Ombudsman
  • Colonel
« Reply #22 on: 01 February 2016, 00:38:50 »
Light comes ... ;)

Ryumyo

• Warrant Officer
  • Out site seeing...
« Reply #23 on: 01 February 2016, 00:43:16 »
I see how you used the MWDA Saxon APC for the Heavy Hover APC. By the way, what did you use for arms for arms on the Vanquisher -7V and as a stand in for the Palmoni AIFV?

Light comes indeed.

Colt Ward

• Lieutenant General
  • Gott Mit Uns
« Reply #24 on: 01 February 2016, 01:24:46 »
For the Vanq that looks like flipped over RFL-6X arms.  It might be a Trajan IFV from MWDA too, not sure if they have IWM one or what it looks like.
Colt Ward

Daemion

• Major
« Reply #25 on: 04 February 2016, 14:59:58 »
Pictures!

I have a question: Why does the Vedette turret look like it's on backwards?

Otherwise, nice line-up. You may want some lighting from in front to balance that from overhead.

Every thought and device conceived by Satan and man must be explored and found wanting. - Donald Grey Barnhouse on the purpose of history and time.

worktroll

• Ombudsman
  • Colonel
« Reply #26 on: 04 February 2016, 17:01:50 »
I have a question: Why does the Vedette turret look like it's on backwards?

Because that's how the UAC Vedette rocks  ::)

I agree, I was quite disappointed with the mini. I played with a bunch of options, but canonically it looks like that.

You can't point it the other way, because then the turret can't turn to the right at all because of the protruding barrel. If one wanted, one could mount it on a spacer, so it rose above the hump, and turn the mini around. May end up doing that yet ...

phlop

• CamoSpecs
  • Warrant Officer
« Reply #27 on: 05 February 2016, 21:04:18 »
Light comes ... ;)
Light of Mankind.
“Everyone is useful,No one is necessary.’’ Paul Brown

agen2

• Captain
  • Il sobillatore.
« Reply #28 on: 08 February 2016, 03:10:52 »
 O0

Empyrus

• Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #29 on: 10 February 2016, 08:52:46 »
Worktroll, i really like your combined arms battalions. (Did you have list somewhere? Though i guess most older pics are no longer available due to Solaris7 site being down...)

Originally i would have said i don't like the paint scheme but after thinking about it long enough, i think it is actually pretty reasonable. Camouflage but not camouflage, if that makes sense.

FRR's grab bag nature is fun. And practical, if one has mix of Kurita, Lyran and some other 'Mechs but not enough to make a companies or larger units for those factions.

I like the choice of Vindicator Avenging Angel. While sorting out my minis, i was considering making a FRR company (in addition to Kurita and Davion ones) as they'd be the only ones outside CapCon and St. Ives Compact to use the Vindicator, even if only the Avenging Angel variant. (If the variant is ever custom-upgraded: Drop the PPC for an (ER) Large Laser and add armor, and if DHS upgrade is made, one can reduce those and add more armor.)

As for the Vedette... i kind of like how the Vedette tank looks. It is.. futuristic. Sure, it is also kind of silly, who puts the cockpit and window to the turret? And it is odd departure from the original Vedette (whose turret does turn 360 degrees, i think).

All in all, very nice.

Baron RedSkull

• Warrant Officer
  • I'm bringin' macho back!
    • Tidewater Battletech Club
« Reply #30 on: 10 February 2016, 09:29:23 »
Nice worl. I'm excited to see your LoM project. I'm planning to do one myself at some point so seeing how you do yours will be a big help.
Why not Zoidberg?

(V){;,,,;}(V)

Getz

• Warrant Officer
« Reply #31 on: 10 February 2016, 12:29:12 »
I have recently completed a 3rd Hussars company myself.  I should get some pictures of it uploaded...

I fell out of favour with heaven somewhere, so I'm here for the hell of it now...

worktroll

• Ombudsman
  • Colonel
« Reply #32 on: 10 February 2016, 16:13:51 »
Worktroll, i really like your combined arms battalions. (Did you have list somewhere? Though i guess most older pics are no longer available due to Solaris7 site being down...)

Originally i would have said i don't like the paint scheme but after thinking about it long enough, i think it is actually pretty reasonable. Camouflage but not camouflage, if that makes sense.

Thanks, Empyrus. I'll have to start reloading my pics on Google Photos, and do another retrospective with the newer links.

Re the splinter camo - it's a disruptive pattern, designed to break up outlines. You get the best impression of that in the armour company photo, where they're all pushed together. I have tended to downplay that element - well done disruptive schemes make minis look like blurry blobs ;) I aim for an "enhanced realism" approach in most camo schemes, overplaying contrast and bringing up details & trim.

Baron Redskull, LoM is pretty easy to paint. Base & prime black, do some Worktroll White drybrushing with panel line marking, clean up with black, detail/metallic, then darg grey drybrush over the black top half. It's working up the units that's fun - LoM can have all the good toys. So the Palmoni and Vanquisher are probably going to be teamed with a Legacy, Grand Crusader, Shedu BA, and something else in the Jugger category, for an urban assault Level II.

Getz, I'd love to see your pics, and hear how you went about it. Did you find the scheme annoying to paint, too? Or was that just me ;)

Empyrus

• Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #33 on: 10 February 2016, 16:18:37 »
I was thinking of the color when i said "camo but not camo".
I cannot think of many environments where brown-gray and blues and purples (or indigo?) work. Some kind of tundra with ice piles perhaps?

Though i can understand it being disruptive, IIRC color is not that important for braking up outline anyway, shape and contrast mattering more.

worktroll

• Ombudsman
  • Colonel
« Reply #34 on: 10 February 2016, 16:21:36 »
I cannot think of many environments where brown-gray and blues and purples (or indigo?) work. Some kind of tundra with ice piles perhaps?

Empyrus

• Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #35 on: 10 February 2016, 16:33:29 »
Huh, i guess it does work.

Too bad you didn't have a Catapult in the battalion. I recall they served SLDF in mountaineer regiments or some such, would've been good fit for the camouflage.

I am Belch II

• Lieutenant Colonel
  • It's a gator with a nuke, whats the problem.
« Reply #36 on: 11 February 2016, 23:11:00 »
That is some good stuff.
Walking the fine line between sarcasm and being a smart-ass

Colt Ward

• Lieutenant General
  • Gott Mit Uns
« Reply #37 on: 12 February 2016, 03:49:07 »
Actually, color is very important to break up the shape of the object.  You use a dark color on the edges and a lighter color in the areas that are more recessed.  Best example I can give was what they went over with in our camo class . . . for the nose, eyebrow area, cheek bones and chin you used a black or dark gray/brown/green.  In what would be shaded area like the eye sockets, cheeks and upper lip you used a brighter/ighter green/brown/sand color.

I had started a discussion about this a while back because I was doing a forest camo scheme and I was not seeing anything like I remember our vehicles being painted.
Colt Ward

Daemion

• Major
« Reply #38 on: 12 February 2016, 13:05:40 »
Because that's how the UAC Vedette rocks  ::)

I agree, I was quite disappointed with the mini. I played with a bunch of options, but canonically it looks like that.

You can't point it the other way, because then the turret can't turn to the right at all because of the protruding barrel. If one wanted, one could mount it on a spacer, so it rose above the hump, and turn the mini around. May end up doing that yet ...

I may look into that as well, because I always got the impression that the turret in the TRo Art was stylistically action-posed and that the nose of the vehicle was what appears to be the hiney on the miniature.

worktroll

• Ombudsman
  • Colonel
« Reply #39 on: 14 February 2016, 16:47:04 »
Let's see if I still have my Google Photo mojo ...

The Ultra-Vedette controversy continues to rage! (mildy.)

From left to right: with Turret facing 'backwards', with turret as per TRO art, and facing backwards with a spacer to raise the turret above the 'hump'.

I think nmost people would agree that the first one looks best - albeit only able to aim to the left.  The spaced version just looks odd. Ah well ...

Vash The Stampede

• Captain
  • LOVE AND PEACE!!!
« Reply #40 on: 14 February 2016, 19:22:26 »
The vedette's main body looks like a good candidate for the front half of a Gulltoppr omni-monitor
I'm like a hunter of peace. One who chases the elusive mayfly of love... or something like that.

"I crush little childrens dreams everyday...Ralph your not a kangaroo...Ralph your also not a trophy....." (Quote used by Jesse Richards (ExtremeBloodAspUser))

worktroll

• Ombudsman
  • Colonel
« Reply #41 on: 14 February 2016, 20:28:31 »
MW:DA Kelswa is perfect for the Golden Horse ...

Charlie 6

• Captain
« Reply #42 on: 14 February 2016, 20:54:22 »
Let's see if I still have my Google Photo mojo ...

The Ultra-Vedette controversy continues to rage! (mildy.)

From left to right: with Turret facing 'backwards', with turret as per TRO art, and facing backwards with a spacer to raise the turret above the 'hump'.

I think nmost people would agree that the first one looks best - albeit only able to aim to the left.  The spaced version just looks odd. Ah well ...
I'll disagree.  I love the mini.  I would have liked it to have a dual weapon turret but I can't help but imagine it peeking around a street corner (only peeking to the right, mind you) to tear up an advancing column.  Stylistically, I like pairing the Vedette RAC with Prowler multi-terrain vehicles, and the diametrically opposed Goblin.

Daemion

• Major
« Reply #43 on: 15 February 2016, 16:01:38 »

Maybe its the form of spacer you used. I don't mind the look, and it seems okay. I'll point you to the Striker wheeled missile vehicle for an idea of a spacer, because that one looks good. If you manage something like that, you'll be golden, in my opinion.

Register