Author Topic: Combined Arms Battalion, FRR 3rd Hussars, Invasion era  (Read 12167 times)

Baron RedSkull

• Warrant Officer
  • I'm bringin' macho back!
    • Tidewater Battletech Club
Re: Combined Arms Battalion, FRR 3rd Hussars, Invasion era
« Reply #30 on: 10 February 2016, 09:29:23 »
Nice worl. I'm excited to see your LoM project. I'm planning to do one myself at some point so seeing how you do yours will be a big help.
Why not Zoidberg?

(V){;,,,;}(V)

Getz

• Warrant Officer
« Reply #31 on: 10 February 2016, 12:29:12 »
I have recently completed a 3rd Hussars company myself.  I should get some pictures of it uploaded...

I fell out of favour with heaven somewhere, so I'm here for the hell of it now...

worktroll

• Ombudsman
  • Lieutenant General
  • 504th "Gateway" Division
    • There are Monsters in my Sky!
« Reply #32 on: 10 February 2016, 16:13:51 »
Worktroll, i really like your combined arms battalions. (Did you have list somewhere? Though i guess most older pics are no longer available due to Solaris7 site being down...)

Originally i would have said i don't like the paint scheme but after thinking about it long enough, i think it is actually pretty reasonable. Camouflage but not camouflage, if that makes sense.

Thanks, Empyrus. I'll have to start reloading my pics on Google Photos, and do another retrospective with the newer links.

Re the splinter camo - it's a disruptive pattern, designed to break up outlines. You get the best impression of that in the armour company photo, where they're all pushed together. I have tended to downplay that element - well done disruptive schemes make minis look like blurry blobs ;) I aim for an "enhanced realism" approach in most camo schemes, overplaying contrast and bringing up details & trim.

Baron Redskull, LoM is pretty easy to paint. Base & prime black, do some Worktroll White drybrushing with panel line marking, clean up with black, detail/metallic, then darg grey drybrush over the black top half. It's working up the units that's fun - LoM can have all the good toys. So the Palmoni and Vanquisher are probably going to be teamed with a Legacy, Grand Crusader, Shedu BA, and something else in the Jugger category, for an urban assault Level II.

Getz, I'd love to see your pics, and hear how you went about it. Did you find the scheme annoying to paint, too? Or was that just me ;)
* No, FASA wasn't big on errata - ColBosch
* The Housebook series is from the 80's and is the foundation of Btech, the 80's heart wrapped in heavy metal that beats to this day - Sigma
* To sum it up: FASAnomics: By Cthulhu, for Cthulhu - Moonsword
* Because Battletech is a conspiracy by Habsburg & Bourbon pretenders - MadCapellan
* The Hellbringer is cool, either way. It's not cool because it's bad, it's cool because it's bad with balls - Nightsky
* It was a glorious time for people who felt that we didn't have enough Marauder variants - HABeas2, re "Empires Aflame"

Empyrus

• Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #33 on: 10 February 2016, 16:18:37 »
I was thinking of the color when i said "camo but not camo".
I cannot think of many environments where brown-gray and blues and purples (or indigo?) work. Some kind of tundra with ice piles perhaps?

Though i can understand it being disruptive, IIRC color is not that important for braking up outline anyway, shape and contrast mattering more.

worktroll

• Ombudsman
  • Lieutenant General
« Reply #34 on: 10 February 2016, 16:21:36 »
I cannot think of many environments where brown-gray and blues and purples (or indigo?) work. Some kind of tundra with ice piles perhaps?

* The Housebook series is from the 80's and is the foundation of Btech, the 80's heart wrapped in heavy metal that beats to this day - Sigma
* Because Battletech is a conspiracy by Habsburg & Bourbon pretenders - MadCapellan
* The Hellbringer is cool, either way. It's not cool because it's bad, it's cool because it's bad with balls - Nightsky
* It was a glorious time for people who felt that we didn't have enough Marauder variants - HABeas2, re "Empires Aflame"

Empyrus

• Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #35 on: 10 February 2016, 16:33:29 »
Huh, i guess it does work.

Too bad you didn't have a Catapult in the battalion. I recall they served SLDF in mountaineer regiments or some such, would've been good fit for the camouflage.

I am Belch II

• Lieutenant Colonel
  • It's a gator with a nuke, whats the problem.
« Reply #36 on: 11 February 2016, 23:11:00 »
That is some good stuff.
Walking the fine line between sarcasm and being a smart-ass

Colt Ward

• Lieutenant General
  • Gott Mit Uns
    • Merc Periphery Guide- Bakunin
« Reply #37 on: 12 February 2016, 03:49:07 »
Actually, color is very important to break up the shape of the object.  You use a dark color on the edges and a lighter color in the areas that are more recessed.  Best example I can give was what they went over with in our camo class . . . for the nose, eyebrow area, cheek bones and chin you used a black or dark gray/brown/green.  In what would be shaded area like the eye sockets, cheeks and upper lip you used a brighter/ighter green/brown/sand color.

I had started a discussion about this a while back because I was doing a forest camo scheme and I was not seeing anything like I remember our vehicles being painted.
Colt Ward
Clan Invasion Backer #149, Leviathans #104

"We come in peace, please ignore the bloodstains."

"Greetings, Mechwarrior. You have been recruited by the Star League to defend the Frontier against Daoshen and the Capellan armada."

Daemion

• Major
  • The Future of BattleTech
    • Never Tales and Other Daydreams
« Reply #38 on: 12 February 2016, 13:05:40 »
Because that's how the UAC Vedette rocks  ::)

I agree, I was quite disappointed with the mini. I played with a bunch of options, but canonically it looks like that.

You can't point it the other way, because then the turret can't turn to the right at all because of the protruding barrel. If one wanted, one could mount it on a spacer, so it rose above the hump, and turn the mini around. May end up doing that yet ...

I may look into that as well, because I always got the impression that the turret in the TRo Art was stylistically action-posed and that the nose of the vehicle was what appears to be the hiney on the miniature.

It's your world. You can do anything you want in it. - Bob Ross

Every thought and device conceived by Satan and man must be explored and found wanting. - Donald Grey Barnhouse on the purpose of history and time.

I helped make a game! ^_^  - Forge Of War: Tactics

worktroll

• Ombudsman
  • Lieutenant General
« Reply #39 on: 14 February 2016, 16:47:04 »
Let's see if I still have my Google Photo mojo ...

The Ultra-Vedette controversy continues to rage! (mildy.)

From left to right: with Turret facing 'backwards', with turret as per TRO art, and facing backwards with a spacer to raise the turret above the 'hump'.

I think nmost people would agree that the first one looks best - albeit only able to aim to the left.  The spaced version just looks odd. Ah well ...

Vash The Stampede

• Captain
  • LOVE AND PEACE!!!
« Reply #40 on: 14 February 2016, 19:22:26 »
The vedette's main body looks like a good candidate for the front half of a Gulltoppr omni-monitor
I'm like a hunter of peace. One who chases the elusive mayfly of love... or something like that.

"I crush little childrens dreams everyday...Ralph your not a kangaroo...Ralph your also not a trophy....." (Quote used by Jesse Richards (ExtremeBloodAspUser))

worktroll

• Ombudsman
  • Lieutenant General
« Reply #41 on: 14 February 2016, 20:28:31 »
MW:DA Kelswa is perfect for the Golden Horse ...

Charlie 6

• Captain
« Reply #42 on: 14 February 2016, 20:54:22 »
Let's see if I still have my Google Photo mojo ...

The Ultra-Vedette controversy continues to rage! (mildy.)

From left to right: with Turret facing 'backwards', with turret as per TRO art, and facing backwards with a spacer to raise the turret above the 'hump'.

I think nmost people would agree that the first one looks best - albeit only able to aim to the left.  The spaced version just looks odd. Ah well ...
I'll disagree.  I love the mini.  I would have liked it to have a dual weapon turret but I can't help but imagine it peeking around a street corner (only peeking to the right, mind you) to tear up an advancing column.  Stylistically, I like pairing the Vedette RAC with Prowler multi-terrain vehicles, and the diametrically opposed Goblin.

Daemion

• Major
  • The Future of BattleTech
    • Never Tales and Other Daydreams
« Reply #43 on: 15 February 2016, 16:01:38 »

Maybe its the form of spacer you used. I don't mind the look, and it seems okay. I'll point you to the Striker wheeled missile vehicle for an idea of a spacer, because that one looks good. If you manage something like that, you'll be golden, in my opinion.
It's your world. You can do anything you want in it. - Bob Ross

Every thought and device conceived by Satan and man must be explored and found wanting. - Donald Grey Barnhouse on the purpose of history and time.

I helped make a game! ^_^  - Forge Of War: Tactics