Author Topic: 3050 Omnis by weight class- Your tops per ton  (Read 7694 times)

Drewbacca

• Major
  • What could have been...
3050 Omnis by weight class- Your tops per ton
« on: 30 September 2014, 16:22:08 »
The Omnis that started it all, where would we be without them. Which are your favorite 3050 omnis per weight class?

Mattlov

• Catalyst Demo Team
  • Lieutenant
  • Fnord.
Re: 3050 Omnis by weight class- Your tops per ton
« Reply #1 on: 30 September 2014, 17:27:20 »
Lights:  Adder
Medium: Nova - I say this only because everyone loves the Stormcrow so much.  The Stormcrow is BORING.  At least the Nova is silly and fun.
Heavy:  I like the Summoner of this group.  None of the 3050 heavies really appeals to me, because they are generally too similar.
Assault:  Warhawk!  Love it, it has always been my favorite of the 3050 Omnis.  Yes, many configs are poor, but the thing is just a wonderful chunk of ugly.  And it is FANTASTIC.

That being said, most of the original 3050 Omnis aren't great.  They have terrible configurations.
"The rules technically allow all sorts of bad ideas." -Moonsword

jklantern

• LAM of Shame
  • Major
  • Designated Snack Officer of the Diamond Khanate
« Reply #2 on: 30 September 2014, 18:15:51 »
Keep in mind, none of my choices are likely to be ZOMG OPTIMIZED DEATH MACHINE CHOICES!

Light:  Fire Moth.  Because armor is for people who have something to live for.
Medium:  Nova.  Because if a dozen medium lasers is wrong, I don't want to be right.
Heavy:  I think I'm going to go Mad Dog on this one.
Assault:  Executioner.
I'm not sure how long you've been around on the forums, though you have a thousand posts. Never take anything JKlantern says seriously unless it's about food.

BirdofPrey

• Major
« Reply #3 on: 30 September 2014, 19:16:47 »
Keep in mind, none of my choices are likely to be ZOMG OPTIMIZED DEATH MACHINE CHOICES!

Light:  Fire Moth.  Because armor is for people who have something to live for.
Medium:  Nova.  Because if a dozen medium lasers is wrong, I don't want to be right.
Heavy:  I think I'm going to go Mad Dog on this one.
Assault:  Executioner.
Clan GHost bear.
Accept no substitutes.

jklantern

• LAM of Shame
  • Major
« Reply #4 on: 30 September 2014, 19:26:11 »
Clan GHost bear.
Accept no substitutes.

I do like the Bears.  But not as much as, say, the Ravens, who get a lot of the same toys, or the Shark Foxes, who drink everyone's milkshake.
I'm not sure how long you've been around on the forums, though you have a thousand posts. Never take anything JKlantern says seriously unless it's about food.

cold1

• Major
  • Goon
« Reply #5 on: 30 September 2014, 19:33:58 »
Adder
Stormcrow
Gargoyle
Executioner

***edited since Cold1 doesn't follow instructions well, thanks JKL***
« Last Edit: 01 October 2014, 05:31:08 by cold1 »

To the patient go the spoils

Dave Talley

• Major
« Reply #6 on: 30 September 2014, 19:48:05 »

the grandchild of the Hunch 4P :-)
Resident Smartass since 1998
“Toe jam in training”

Because while the other Great Houses of the Star League thought they were playing chess, House Cameron was playing Paradox-Billiards-Vostroyan-Roulette-Fourth Dimensional-Hypercube-Chess-Strip Poker the entire time.
JA Baker

jklantern

• LAM of Shame
  • Major
« Reply #7 on: 30 September 2014, 19:51:00 »
Edited because cold1 is fantastic at following instructions, what are you talking about?
« Last Edit: 01 October 2014, 07:42:47 by jklantern »

BirdofPrey

• Major
« Reply #8 on: 30 September 2014, 20:00:16 »
Does the Shadowcat count?  It wasn't in TRO 3050 but it WAS available in 3050

My choices are pretty much the same as jklantern, but I'd take a Stormcrow instead (can't put my finger on WHY I like it, I just know I do, though I know I DON'T like the nova as much because most configurations are overgunned for their heat capacity.)

So that makes

Fire Moth
Shadow Cat/ StormCrow
Mad Dog
Executioner

Runners up are
Mist Lynx
Nova (OK OK It can be so wrong it's right)
Summoner
Gargoyle (possibly tied with Warhawk)

Who can guess what of the pick two stats I value most.
« Last Edit: 30 September 2014, 20:04:54 by BirdofPrey »

Diablo48

• Major
« Reply #9 on: 30 September 2014, 21:05:32 »
Light: Fire Moth.  This little guy is stupid fast and can pack quite a punch, especially once the H comes around.  The thin armor is a problem, but the other lights are huge messes so the decision is very easy.

Medium: Viper.  This is one of my favorite designs of all time and one of the best designed 'Mechs in the book so it easily beats out the Stormcrow for this slot.  The combination of great speed, Jump Jets, good armor, and enough pod space to do some serious damage make this little nightmare in the right hands.  Really its only shortcoming is the use of fixed jets which limits its flexibility some, although the extra mobility is usually useful on such a fast design so this is never more than a mild annoyance.

Heavy: Timber Wolf I guess.  I am honestly not a huge fan of any of the heavies (or heavy-like designs outside the weight band), but given that everything in TRO 3050 from 50 to 80 tons (along with a few of the lights #P) can basically be described as "like the Timber Wolf, but worse" I feel like I have to give it this slot.

Assault: Dire Wolf.  When I go for an assault, I want it to smash things and nothing smashes things as well as the Dire Wolf in any era.  It is just a giant pile of guns and armor which is exactly what I want in an assault.  I have other units for jobs requiring finesse which can work to set things up for the big guy so there is no need for any more speed on my assault element, I will just time my operations around the plodding Dire Wolf and let its massive arsenal carry the day when it gets to the objective.

View my design musings or request your own custom ride here.

WONC

• Warrant Officer
  • Don't Stop Believin'
« Reply #10 on: 30 September 2014, 21:30:21 »
Light: It's a tie between the Adder and the Kit Fox. I like my lights with teeth.
Medium: Nova. Because reasons.
Heavy: Mad Dog. It's a sexy 'Mech, baby.
Assault: Gargoyle or Executioner. Again, it's something of a tie. I like my assaults either running mad or unstoppable zombie.
Quando Omni Flunkus Moritati

"Being tactful in audacity is knowing how far one can go too far."
Jean Cocteau

The Once & Future WiseOldNovaCat

Savage Coyote

• CamoSpecs
  • Captain
  • 저는 미술 선생님 입니다.
« Reply #11 on: 30 September 2014, 22:22:46 »
Adder
Stormcrow
Timber Wolf
Warhawk

I have been known to tool around in just about anything from that era as the Coyotes were populated with a lot of those units...

Trajan Helmer

• Lieutenant
  • Better and calmer than you
« Reply #12 on: 30 September 2014, 22:45:57 »
Kit Fox is an excellent light- to-medium mech hunter
Nova, for erml spam.
Hellbringer, because air conditioning is for wussies.
WarHawk because well, WarHawk.
Anyone can redesign the Hellbringer's base chassis.  Real men work only with the pod loadout- Natasha K (forum poster)

Do not taunt Happy Fun Aegis. http://bg.battletech.com/forums/index.php/topic,42045.msg968574.html#msg968574

Reldn

• Lieutenant
« Reply #13 on: 30 September 2014, 23:46:39 »
Light: Adder
Medium: Nova
Heavy: Mad Dog
Assault: Warhawk

Close second:
Kit Fox
Stormcrow
Ebon Jaguar tied with Summoner
Executioner

EDIT: Shame on me! I somehow didn't mention the Summoner anywhere.
« Last Edit: 01 October 2014, 09:31:43 by Reldn »

3rd Lyran Guards
2nd Oriente Hussars
Scorpion Empire Tau & Seeker Galaxy

WarMonkey

• Master Sergeant
  • Beware the might of the Falcon, freebirths!
« Reply #14 on: 01 October 2014, 08:18:25 »
Light:  Kit Fox

Medium: Nova

Heavy: Summoner

Assault: Warhawk

Honorable mention: All of the rest! Seriously, I like all of the original Omnis, bad configurations and all.   ;D
Winning......it beats losing!

Aidan Pryde is my hero!

Deadborder

• Lieutenant Colonel
  • Technical Victory!
    • Elmer Studios Blog
« Reply #15 on: 01 October 2014, 08:24:59 »
Light: The Dasher. It's a great way to deliver Elementals, true, but it's also nicely crazy and can cause damage all out of proportion through simple disruption/confusion. Dasher D has earned numerous nicknames, few of them printable.

Medium: I like the Black Hawk, and not just because of the crazy-town primary configuration. It's a good, simple design with an amusingly ugly asthetic that I find enjoyable. Plus, I have a soft spot for it's idiot son, the Black Hawk (Standard)

Heavy: Unquestionably the Thor. It's not optimised by any means, and I'm happy for that. Instead, it's got character, and I like character in a 'Mech. The Jump Jets help it a lot, and I've had plenty of good times with the D config.

Assault: eeeeh, none of the 3050 Assault Omnis really do much for me. I'd probably say the Gladiator or the Masakari, but neither is a strong choice for me
Author of BattleCorps stories Grand Theft Agro and Zero Signal

How to Draw MegaMek Icons the Deadborder Way. Over 9000 so far. Determination or madness?

cold1

• Major
  • Goon
« Reply #16 on: 01 October 2014, 08:29:46 »
If you look at the 3050 omnis in that timeframe alone, all of them are superior to what they faced in the invasion.  Today we can say this one or that one is under optimized or has config issues, but when they were new... goodness!

I always point to the Executioner here.  It's not the best of the original assaults.  Face it the Warhawk and Dire Wolf get all the love for good reason, they're terrifying today.  But in the era the Executioner was a 95 ton mech that could run 8, jump 4, and do 35 damage over 20 hexes.  That was terrifying.  You couldn't get away from it if you were an IS player.

Each weight class has a mech that terrified the grognards to their core (Kit Fox, Stormcrow, Timby, D-Wolf) but each weight class also has one or two others that flew under the radar a little more and were devastating on the table... Firemoth, Dragonfly, Mad Dog, Executioner are the first that come to mind.

To the patient go the spoils

ActionButler

• Global Moderator
  • Major
« Reply #17 on: 01 October 2014, 08:37:00 »
Light: I don't know why, but I have always loved the design of the Adder.
Medium: Nova (how many lasers?  ALL of the lasers)
Heavy: Mad Dog, narrowly edging out the Timber Wolf because of the Bears' affinity for it
Assault: The Ghost Bear in me wants to say Executioner, but the realist in me really likes the fact that the Dire Wolf has more space for weapons than most mechs have space for... anything
Experimental Technical Readout: The School
http://bg.battletech.com/forums/index.php?topic=56420.0

Arkansas Warrior

• Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #18 on: 01 October 2014, 11:29:55 »
There are two ways to look at this.  I'm pretty sure the OP meant omnis from TRO 3050, but you could also look at omnis that were around IC in 3050.  I'll do a lineup of each:

TRO 3050:
Light- Adder, because it's like a baby assault mech.  Also, the Kit Fox needs more armor, the Firemoth is too niche, and I don't like the Mist Lynx's configs.
Medium- Nova, because the Stormcrow is too popular for me to pick it, and the Ice Ferret and Viper's configs are weird.
Heavy- Mad Dog, because I like its configs the best, and the Timber Wolf is too cliche, the Summoner's configs annoy me, and the Hellbringer is for nuts like JHB.
Assault- Gargoyle, because style points.  Also, the Dire Wolf is too easy to pick, I don't like the Warhawk's configs, and the Executioner is for crazy folks.

IC 3050:

Light- Arctic Cheetah.  Seems like the best blend of speed, firepower, and armor to me.  Though it is worryingly light on that last one.
Medium- Shadow Cat.  As above, and I like most of the configs, though I'm not a huge fan of MASC as a rule.
Heavy- Ebon Jaguar.  Not to say it couldn't be improved, but it's better than the Mad Dog and Summoner.  Not the Timby, but as above, the Timby is too cliche.  And I like its configs.
Assault- Kingfisher.  The ultimate clan zombie-omni, and the configs are generally at least solid, if not awesome.

Notice a trend here?  TRO 3058 was a beautiful thing.
Sunrise is Coming.

All Hail First Prince Melissa Davion, the Patron Saint of the Regimental Combat Team, who cowed Dainmar Liao, created the Model Army, and rescued Robinson!  May her light ever guide the sons of the Suns, May our daughters ever endeavour to emulate her!

Natasha Kerensky

• Major
  • Queen of Spades, First Lady of Death, Black Widow
« Reply #19 on: 01 October 2014, 11:35:55 »
Clan BearWolf
Light:  Fire Moth
Medium:  Viper
Heavy:  Timber Wolf
Assault:  Dire Wolf
« Last Edit: 01 October 2014, 19:02:07 by Natasha Kerensky »
"Ah, yes.  The belle dame sans merci.  The sweet young thing who will blast your nuts off.  The kitten with a whip.  That mystique?"
"Slavish adherence to formal ritual is a sign that one has nothing better to think about."
"Variety is the spice of battle."
"I've fought in... what... a hundred battles, a thousand battles?  It could be a million as far as I know.  I've fought for anybody who offered a decent contract and a couple who didn't.  And the universe is not much different after all that.  I could go on fighting for another hundred years and it would still look the same."
"I'm in mourning for my life."
"Those who break faith with the Unity shall go down into darkness."

agen2

• Captain
  • Il sobillatore.
« Reply #20 on: 01 October 2014, 12:13:04 »
Puma
Fenris
Madcat
Daishi

GhostCat

• Lieutenant
  • If A, then B, The Evil Genius Argument
« Reply #21 on: 01 October 2014, 12:24:35 »
Over the years, I learned to like a lot of the omnis and even some of their alternate configurations.  There were even some custom mods that I liked using just for the coolness.  But, even now, the basic designs are more than some people can handle. 

Light:  My current favorite is the Mist Lynx with the ERLL, though I'd be even happier to trade the gun pods for the Dasher=D's loadout.  Sometimes jumping is better than running.  I even put jump jets on a Kit Fox (but that's another story).

Medium:  The Nova Prime is what a real Alpha Strike is all about.  I donwannahear about being able to Alpha with just one medium laser and two machineguns.  Even so, It's the Dragonfly with Pulse Lasers staying in formation with the Koshi mechs that really rocks my boat these days. 

Heavy:  Ultimately, it has to be the Summoner, jump jets are a must.  It's the fire support mech of choice when teamed up with the Koshi and Dragonfly mechs.

Assault:  I hardly ever use them, so I will just join the lovely Executioner with its jumpy battle style.  Personally, I almost never use the really big mechs, because they are just too easy to hit.  These are Target Practice mechs you give to rookie pilots that can't run, jump or shoot. 

GC
"Spirit Cats are just pirates basically." --- Quote from Herb

Sharpnel

• Colonel
« Reply #22 on: 01 October 2014, 13:03:43 »
Kit Fox, Stormcrow, Summoner and I don't like any of the 3050 Assaults
Consigliere Trygg Bender, CRD-3BL Crusader, The Blazer Mafia
Takehiro 'Taco' Uchimiya, SHD-2H Shadow Hawk 'Taco', Crimson Oasis Trading Company

"Of what use is a dream, if not a blueprint for courageous action" -Adam West
As I get older, I realize that I'm not as good as I once was.
"Life is too short to be living someone else's dream" - Hugh Hefner

greatsarcasmo

• Fabricator General
  • Global Moderator
  • Lieutenant Colonel
  • Ordo Scriptorum
« Reply #23 on: 01 October 2014, 13:10:20 »
Uller
Dragonfly
Loki
Masakari
Maker of big things.

ManicMaestro

• Corporal
« Reply #24 on: 01 October 2014, 14:41:58 »
There's two lists.

1. The "optimized" version of what I would pick if I was a khan and equipping my forces.
Light: Adder- as a marginally less expensive fire support mech to round out a lot of stars (think lots of the LRM configs)
Medium: Viper- this would be your optimized scout and skirmisher
Heavy: Timberwolf- because questionable configs aside this beast is the yardstick against which all other heavies are measured
Assault: Direwolf- because if you can't kill it or survive it with a Timberwolf, this is the best answer

2. The "ristar" list, because when you are making a name for yourself, style counts, quiaff?
Light: Firemoth- make your dueling opponent cry because he can never hit you
Medium: Viper- even flashier than a Firemoth because this one jumps
Heavy: Summoner- as a hero's mech it's hard to dislike the maneuverability (see the trend?)
Assault: Executioner- because this may just be my favorite mech ever just for the sheer balls of the design

dwinter

• Sergeant
« Reply #25 on: 01 October 2014, 15:00:46 »
There are weight classes above medium?

Lights = Firemoth.  Prefer the H variant although I'd be happy with the B.
Mediums = Ice Ferret.  Generally use the D but be happy with the B.
Heavy = erm, urr? Kinda want to say the Summoner but not used enough 3050 heavies to confirm.
Assault = but I could get 4 Fire Moths for the same tonnage (notices laser pistol at head).  Ok, Direwolf but that's only 'cos I have the miniature.

Post 3060 I'd be looking at Arctic Cheetah's, Grendels and Shadow Cats.
Star Commander David Llywelyn, 9th Raven Striker Cluster "The Snow Hunters", 1st Nova, Alpha Galaxy

Lieutenant Robin Llywelyn, 2nd Mech Striker Company, 2nd Mech Regiment, 59th Jump Infantry Division, XXXVI Corp, Sixteenth Army

Stormwolf

• Master Sergeant
« Reply #26 on: 01 October 2014, 15:12:17 »
My favorites:

Light: Adder, love the dual PPC's of the prime variant
Medium: Ice Ferret, that Active Probe + speed helps quite a bit with hidden units
Heavy: Timber Wolf, hey Clan Wolf here, what were you expecting?
Assault: Executioner, plenty of speed combined with decent armor

blackjack

• When you're a professional pirate ...
  • Catalyst Demo Team
  • Lieutenant
« Reply #27 on: 12 October 2014, 21:36:35 »
For me

Light Myst Lynx (cant explain it, it has worked well for me)
Medium Viper (Love the speed)
Heavy Summoner (the balance)
Assault Gargoyle (again speed )

JPArbiter

• Captain
  • Podcasting Monkey
    • Arbitration Studios, your last word in battletech talk
« Reply #28 on: 12 October 2014, 22:58:16 »
Light- Koshi Pod space was a pain but it was a mech that was designed to provide better support for stars then other lights, be it toad hauling or filling in gaps

Medium- Black hawk this relativly low tech beastie only did everything.

Heavy- Vulture  sure the Mad Cat gets all the glory but the Vulture won me wars.  the Pulse lasers were just better armament and there was no Machien gun ammo to NOOB trap you

Assault- Daishi  what else is there to say?  the firepower of a Marauder in each arm, though I prefered the A for it's battlefield longetivity.  these days I would swap a ton of AMS ammo for more Gauss shots, and try to squeeze in a second  and third AMS, probably for a ton of streak ammo

Host of Arbitration, your last word in Battletech Talk

Drewbacca

• Major
  • What could have been...
« Reply #29 on: 14 October 2014, 10:44:05 »
Ok, my votes:
I love the Fire Moth, but I have had better luck with the Adder and Kit Fox. For the lights I will have to go with the Adder.

Mediums- I have to go with the Viper. It is fast, packs a good punch and gets you out of trouble when it has to. A close second would be the Stormcrow.

For the heavies I am tempted to say Summoner, but the Mad Dog was the first omni I piloted and it never let me down. Also, in the Battletech simulators I got a first second kill with one so that colors my view a bit.

Assaults- I just love the Executioner. I would not say it is the best, but it is my favorite.

Register