Author Topic: What is the approximate word count of a typical sourcebook?  (Read 1045 times)

Aotrs Commander

• Warrant Officer
What is the approximate word count of a typical sourcebook?
« on: 22 September 2022, 14:18:31 »
Just out of what, I suppose constitutes "professional" interest and idle curioisity, what is a ball-park sort of figure for the word count of a typical BattleTech sourcebook? (Say, a faction book as opposed to a TRO). I was promopted to ask when was just looking at the quarter-million word-count I've written on my own lore stuff and wondered about it.

(This seemed to be a more logical place to ask than on the geneal forum.)

I think novels usually are mesured at something around 100k words (give or take depending, obviously), but I have no clue as to what sort of size a sourcebook is by comparison.

Kit deSummersville

• Precentor of Lies
  • Freelance Writer
  • Lieutenant Colonel
  • The epicness continues!
    • Insights and Complaints on Twitter
Re: What is the approximate word count of a typical sourcebook?
« Reply #1 on: 22 September 2022, 15:22:23 »
I checked my records and the last two word count assignments I saw for sourcebooks were around 120k and 160k, so in that ballpark.
Looking for an official answer? Check the Catalyst Interaction Forums.

Freelancer for hire, not an official CGL or IMR representative.

Everyone else's job is easy, so tell them how to do it, everyone loves that!

Millard Fillmore's favorite BattleTech writer.

Adrian Gideon

• BattleTech Developer
  • Lieutenant Colonel
  • BattleTech Line Developer
« Reply #2 on: 22 September 2022, 15:51:22 »
No such thing as typical. Pick a particular sourcebook series and I could give you a rough idea for that line.
If you appreciate how I’m doing, send me a tip: ko-fi.com/rayarrastia
fb.com/battletechgame
@CGL_BattleTech

Aotrs Commander

• Warrant Officer
« Reply #3 on: 22 September 2022, 16:15:18 »
I checked my records and the last two word count assignments I saw for sourcebooks were around 120k and 160k, so in that ballpark.

Right. Thanks.

I'm not sure how I feel about that, then, really, given that by the time I'm "done," (in the sense of having finished all the write-ups I intend to) I'll have probably written 2-3 sourcebook's worth of text.

No such thing as typical. Pick a particular sourcebook series and I could give you a rough idea for that line.

For the sake of arguement, though Kit deSummersville has given me a reasonable ballpark; say, faction handbook, then? (Which is probably closest to the blurb I'm doing.)

Adrian Gideon

• BattleTech Developer
  • Lieutenant Colonel
  • BattleTech Line Developer
« Reply #4 on: 22 September 2022, 18:56:46 »
Like the ones FanPro put out? Like Handbook: House Steiner?
If you appreciate how I’m doing, send me a tip: ko-fi.com/rayarrastia
fb.com/battletechgame
@CGL_BattleTech

Aotrs Commander

• Warrant Officer
« Reply #5 on: 22 September 2022, 20:52:46 »
Or the major periphery powers (that being the most recent one I've read).

(I was thinking of the field manuals, which I have some of, but Sarna tells me that they are turn-of-the-millenium, but apparently the same page count as the earlier 1980s house handbooks.)

Heck, let's just say something of about that page-count (circa 160, for the field manals, or at least the Capellan ones since those were the ones I looked at on Sarna!), I'm only idly interested!

I was about say, never mind, a technical readout, but then realised they are a bit variable in length themselves, never mind about period! (I'm pretty sure my original 3025 has a higher word-count than my original 3050, just because the old one had more blurb per mech, for instance...!)