Author Topic: MOT? - Nightsky  (Read 11197 times)

Colt Ward

• Lieutenant General
  • Gott Mit Uns
    • Merc Periphery Guide- Bakunin
Re: MOT? - Nightsky
« Reply #60 on: 20 February 2020, 10:19:11 »
You just have to cross your fingers that FedCom designs from 55/58/60 make it into KS Civil War in a year or three.  Penetrator, Falconer, Berserker, Nightsky, and others that DefHes spit out could all be revised if that was the case.  Along with the IS Omnis I would guess.
Colt Ward
Clan Invasion Backer #149, Leviathans #104

"We come in peace, please ignore the bloodstains."

"Greetings, Mechwarrior. You have been recruited by the Star League to defend the Frontier against Daoshen and the Capellan armada."

SteelRaven

• Lieutenant Colonel
  • Fight for something or Die for nothing
    • The Steel-Raven at DeviantArt
« Reply #61 on: 20 February 2020, 11:48:51 »
Meh, I rather have new designs than drive Anthony crazy by asking him to redesign every mech just to have a few in the community still complain about the art decisions.
« Last Edit: 20 February 2020, 12:38:06 by SteelRaven »
Battletech Art and Commissions
http://steel-raven.deviantart.com

Colt Ward

• Lieutenant General
  • Gott Mit Uns
« Reply #62 on: 20 February 2020, 12:01:09 »
Not every mech will get a art refresh IMO, some are too niche or just not around long enough to be worth it.  But just like TRO Clan Invasion did not include every mech- and we did not get new art on them with the KS, not every mech will make it into TRO Civil War.  Only reason I was saying FedCom was its the Civil War era, I expect them to get quite a bit of representation along with the Blakists.  Among the Clans, I am not sure two of the period flagships need re-designed- Blood Asp and Savage Coyote.
Colt Ward

"Greetings, Mechwarrior. You have been recruited by the Star League to defend the Frontier against Daoshen and the Capellan armada."

Savage Coyote

• CamoSpecs
  • Captain
  • 저는 미술 선생님 입니다.
« Reply #63 on: 20 February 2020, 12:10:27 »
Among the Clans, I am not sure two of the period flagships need re-designed- Blood Asp and Savage Coyote.

The Blood Asp is fine.  It's had what, three tries?  The Savage Coyote, while mostly true to the art, is a little on the thin side, but being pretty niche, eh, probably way back on the back burner!

As for the Nightsky, it's a killer, no doubt about it.  Stick and move, never stop moving and flanking.

Colt Ward

• Lieutenant General
  • Gott Mit Uns
« Reply #64 on: 20 February 2020, 12:48:51 »
Thin?  I know mine has casting problems but its a column of metal to me.
Colt Ward

Greatclub

• Captain
« Reply #65 on: 01 March 2023, 02:07:47 »
UPDATE

New Nightsky in RG27, a very good issuing for 3055 mechs. Once again it’s mixed tech... but said tech was used intelligently.

Armor tonnage was shaved but is marginally better through heavy ferro. The point the side torsos desperately needed for the dual gauss threshold was put on the legs instead. On the other hand, the XL engine became a clan XL, meaning it can survive the loss of a side torso. This will probably buy it extra turns of life, possibly even combat-effective ones. 

Weaponry was revamped across the board. The small pulse laser became a small x-pulse laser, for blending infantry at standoff distances. A large x-pulse in the left arm has some actual range and a pulse bonus, yet doesn’t do horrible things to the budget. The clan medium lasers do lose the pulse bonus, but given the much improved range (equal to the big x-pulse) they usually come out ahead.

Some of the weight saved goes into more heat sinks; the three range 15 guns are heat-neutral at a run. AES is added to the hatchet, which... it’s a hatchet without TSM, more accurate or not.

Overall the -7S Nightsky is much better. This is another one I’d seriously consider paying 320 BV for over the base model, for more options in how to fight and increased survivability.
« Last Edit: 01 March 2023, 02:18:08 by Greatclub »

Kerfuffin(925)

• Major
« Reply #66 on: 01 March 2023, 19:11:46 »
I really like this one. Plus the hatchet can still force head crits, and with AES aiming high isn’t such a big ask. Running main gun barrage bring heat neutral also means jumping is at +4, so it’s pretty well done up.
NCKestrel’s new favorite.

Colt Ward

• Lieutenant General
  • Gott Mit Uns
« Reply #67 on: 02 March 2023, 12:28:47 »
Some of the weight saved goes into more heat sinks; the three range 15 guns are heat-neutral at a run. AES is added to the hatchet, which... it’s a hatchet without TSM, more accurate or not.

TSM & AES cannot go together . . . what you get with the AES & Hatchet is usefulness . . . before, you would often times be better off kicking if you were sure of your footing because it would be easier to hit and more damage.  NOW . . . the edge for hitting is not so solidly with the kick (-2 vs AES -1), making the use of the hatchet more attractive for the chance of hitting the head and no chance of falling for missing the kick.  For some people, that decision calculus pushes to 'hatchet all the time.'
Colt Ward

Vonshroom

• Warrant Officer
« Reply #68 on: 03 March 2023, 17:12:25 »
I'm still in the bucket for the 5T / 6S.
For The Archon!

Colt Ward

• Lieutenant General
  • Gott Mit Uns
« Reply #69 on: 03 March 2023, 17:25:08 »
Sure, but are you going to kick for a 6 or swing the hatchet for a 8? vs the kick for a 6 or swing the hatchet for a 7?
Colt Ward

MoneyLovinOgre4Hire

• Lieutenant General
  • It's just my goth phase
« Reply #70 on: 03 March 2023, 17:58:49 »
Hatchets are piloting with a -1 mod by default.  So without AES it's going to be a hatchet at 7 vs a kick at 6, or equal with AES.
Warning: this post may contain sarcasm.

"I think I've just had another near-Rincewind experience," Death, The Color of Magic

"When in doubt, C4." Jamie Hyneman

Greatclub

• Captain
« Reply #71 on: 03 March 2023, 18:56:32 »
Another thing to consider is that legs are usually have the second heaviest armor on a mech, yet get hit less than the side torsos. This can result in them being low-priority targets.

Situationally.

AES vs TSM; depth of hit matters. The hatchet is "just" another 10 pointer, but nothing doesn't respect a 20 point hit that can so easily get behind them.
« Last Edit: 11 March 2023, 12:44:39 by Greatclub »

Colt Ward

• Lieutenant General
  • Gott Mit Uns
« Reply #72 on: 03 March 2023, 21:00:44 »
I thought the sword was the -1 TH?
Colt Ward

Kerfuffin(925)

• Major
« Reply #73 on: 03 March 2023, 21:25:02 »
I thought the sword was the -1 TH?

Sword is -2, with punch+1 damage.
Hatchet is -1 with kick damage
NCKestrel’s new favorite.