Author Topic: MOT? - Nightsky  (Read 11445 times)

Greatclub

• Captain
Re: MOT? - Nightsky
« Reply #30 on: 18 February 2020, 02:38:15 »
I notice nobody has said they'd take the -4T.

MoneyLovinOgre4Hire

• Lieutenant General
  • Need a hand?
« Reply #31 on: 18 February 2020, 02:55:21 »
The AMS was a terrible addition for a laser mech.
Warning: this post may contain sarcasm.

"I think I've just had another near-Rincewind experience," Death, The Color of Magic

"When in doubt, C4." Jamie Hyneman

Wrangler

• Colonel
  • Dang it!
    • Battletech Fanon Wiki
« Reply #32 on: 18 February 2020, 07:26:13 »
Laser AMS isn't though if your careful with your heat.

I always wanted to like the Nightsky, but i think its can be tricky for newer players.   Some guy schooled me on MegaMek double blind game with laser-boat version in heavy woods.  Stop playing that guy after that.

I like Mike Plog's version of the art, reminds me of original Teenage Mutant Ninjas Turtles appearance with that angry comic like face.
"Men, fetch the Urbanmechs.  We have an interrogation to attend to." - jklantern
"How do you defeat a Dragau? Shoot the damn thing. Lots." - Jellico 
"No, it's a "Most Awesome Blues Brothers scene Reenactment EVER" waiting to happen." VotW Destrier - Weirdo  
"It's 200 LY to Sian, we got a full load of shells, a half a platoon of Grenadiers, it's exploding outside, and we're wearing flak jackets." VoTW Destrier - Misterpants
-Editor on Battletech Fanon Wiki

Sharpnel

• Colonel
« Reply #33 on: 18 February 2020, 08:04:44 »
The AMS was a terrible addition for a laser mech.
It would be better off with an ECM unit

I notice nobody has said they'd take the -4T.
I like the added range for a loss of one point of damage
Consigliere Trygg Bender, CRD-3BL Crusader, The Blazer Mafia
Takehiro 'Taco' Uchimiya, SHD-2H Shadow Hawk 'Taco', Crimson Oasis Trading Company

"Of what use is a dream, if not a blueprint for courageous action" -Adam West
As I get older, I realize that I'm not as good as I once was.
"Life is too short to be living someone else's dream" - Hugh Hefner

grimlock1

• Captain
« Reply #34 on: 18 February 2020, 08:17:15 »
Wait, so, this is basically an better Hatchetman with terrible looks? Yaaawwwnnn.
I'll stick with the classic for melee, and a Phoenix Hawk or the like for 6/9/6 movement.

Although if you look close, it keeps the hatchetman/axman feet.
I'm rarely right... Except when I am.  ---  Idle question.  What is the BV2 of dread?
Apollo's Law- if it needs Clan tech to make it useable, It doesn't deserve those resources in the first place.
Sure it isn't the most practical 'mech ever designed, but it's a hundred ton axe-murderer. If loving that is wrong I don't wanna be right.

Sartris

• Codex Conditor
  • BattleTech Volunteer
  • Colonel
  • Cap’n-Generalissimost
    • Master Unit List
« Reply #35 on: 18 February 2020, 13:47:57 »
a player had a great run in a clan-era campaign I ran with the stock 4S. i've played with the TSM variant a few times and it was aight.

You bought the box set and are ready to expand your bt experience. Now what? | Modern Sourcebook Index | FASA Sourcebook Index | Print on Demand Index
Equipment Reference Cards | DIY Pilot Cards | PaperTech Mech and Vehicle Counters

Interviewer: Since you’ve stopped making art, how do you spend your time?
Paul Chan Breathers: Oh, I’m a breather. I’m a respirateur. Isn’t that enough?

garhkal

• Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #36 on: 18 February 2020, 14:05:43 »
It would be better off with an ECM unit

That surprises me too..  None of the original versions sport an EMS.
It's not who you kill, but how they die!
You can't shoot what you can't see.
You can not dodge it if you don't know it's coming.

Colt Ward

• Lieutenant General
  • Gott Mit Uns
    • Merc Periphery Guide- Bakunin
« Reply #37 on: 18 February 2020, 14:15:05 »
That surprises me too..  None of the original versions sport an EMS.

Just because Kai had one in his borrowed Hatchetman 2nd seat does not mean other mechwarriors have their own onboard emergency medical support.
Colt Ward
Clan Invasion Backer #149, Leviathans #104

"We come in peace, please ignore the bloodstains."

"Greetings, Mechwarrior. You have been recruited by the Star League to defend the Frontier against Daoshen and the Capellan armada."

SteelRaven

• Lieutenant Colonel
  • Fight for something or Die for nothing
    • The Steel-Raven at DeviantArt
« Reply #38 on: 18 February 2020, 14:40:13 »
AMS is cheaper and takes less space so it's why you see it everywhere, ECM is better by default.
Battletech Art and Commissions
http://steel-raven.deviantart.com

Nikas_Zekeval

• Captain
« Reply #39 on: 18 February 2020, 15:11:48 »
AMS is cheaper and takes less space so it's why you see it everywhere, ECM is better by default.

Two things, one that AMS version might have come out before the Total Warfare rules, which changed the AMS rules.  In the earlier BMR(r) rules you roll 1d6 (2d6 for Clan systems) which were the number of missiles you shot down, and the amount of ammo the AMS chewed through to do it.  So you could empty that 1 ton bin in as few as two uses.

Secondly?  This is a mech built to get into its target's faces.  The AMS is extra protection from at least missiles while closing.

Tyler Jorgensson

• Captain
« Reply #40 on: 18 February 2020, 18:17:05 »
I now have two minis of the Nightsky and I’ve used the 6T exclusively: it works but you’re right about the rear armor. Yes a Clan Tech version would rock... but Apollo’s Law there. Also agree about the Jihad DA versions needed: a lot of the newer tech could improve this.

MoneyLovinOgre4Hire

• Lieutenant General
  • Need a hand?
« Reply #41 on: 18 February 2020, 19:59:02 »
The thing about Apollo's law is that the Nightsky isn't a bad mech without Clantech.  It's just a blindingly obvious swap for it.

"I think I've just had another near-Rincewind experience," Death, The Color of Magic

SteelRaven

• Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #42 on: 18 February 2020, 20:37:02 »
... Also agree about the Jihad DA versions needed: a lot of the newer tech could improve this.
According to the MUL, the Nightsky is still in production so a new variant wouldn't be crazy.

Sharpnel

• Colonel
« Reply #43 on: 19 February 2020, 02:03:45 »
An AMS with ammo takes up the same weight and space as an ECM suite.
Consigliere Trygg Bender, CRD-3BL Crusader, The Blazer Mafia
Takehiro 'Taco' Uchimiya, SHD-2H Shadow Hawk 'Taco', Crimson Oasis Trading Company

"Of what use is a dream, if not a blueprint for courageous action" -Adam West
As I get older, I realize that I'm not as good as I once was.
"Life is too short to be living someone else's dream" - Hugh Hefner

Empyrus

• Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #44 on: 19 February 2020, 04:52:03 »
Although if you look close, it keeps the hatchetman/axman feet.
Interesting detail. Pity the upper body looks terrible.

MoneyLovinOgre4Hire

• Lieutenant General
  • Need a hand?
« Reply #45 on: 19 February 2020, 11:22:37 »
That was a serious hazard of being in TRO 3055.  That book was just a low point in Battletech artwork.

grimlock1

• Captain
« Reply #46 on: 19 February 2020, 12:26:33 »
That was a serious hazard of being in TRO 3055.  That book was just a low point in Battletech artwork.
My first exposure to TRO 3055 artwork was the little mech identification section in the back of the novels. I saw the Nightsky and Scarabus in a couple but other than "Alice moved their Nightsky up to cover Bob's right flank," they didn't get much attention.  To point that I don't think realized that either one of them had hatchets until I saw the specs, many years later.
I'm rarely right... Except when I am.  ---  Idle question.  What is the BV2 of dread?
Apollo's Law- if it needs Clan tech to make it useable, It doesn't deserve those resources in the first place.
Sure it isn't the most practical 'mech ever designed, but it's a hundred ton axe-murderer. If loving that is wrong I don't wanna be right.

MoneyLovinOgre4Hire

• Lieutenant General
  • Need a hand?
« Reply #47 on: 19 February 2020, 13:20:40 »
Same.  The Scarabus especially doesn't look like it's got any sort of melee weapon in its original artwork.

SteelRaven

• Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #48 on: 19 February 2020, 13:29:18 »
Funny thing is people really started talking up the built in Hatchet look later, using the Night sky as a example.

Empyrus

• Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #49 on: 19 February 2020, 13:30:29 »
Same.  The Scarabus especially doesn't look like it's got any sort of melee weapon in its original artwork.
Judging by a pic on Sarna, i'd say it has a recognizable axe but not a rules-compliant one, no hand actuator...

MoneyLovinOgre4Hire

• Lieutenant General
  • Need a hand?
« Reply #50 on: 19 February 2020, 14:13:49 »
I always thought that it looked like some sort of weird industrial equipment.  Like a mech-sized stapler or something.

Wrangler

• Colonel
  • Dang it!
    • Battletech Fanon Wiki
« Reply #51 on: 19 February 2020, 14:26:30 »
I always thought that it looked like some sort of weird industrial equipment.  Like a mech-sized stapler or something.
:toofunny:

I forgot how odd those earlier pictures of the 3055 mechs looked at times. Scarabus does look like it has mech-sized stapler.
"Men, fetch the Urbanmechs.  We have an interrogation to attend to." - jklantern
"No, it's a "Most Awesome Blues Brothers scene Reenactment EVER" waiting to happen." VotW Destrier - Weirdo  
"It's 200 LY to Sian, we got a full load of shells, a half a platoon of Grenadiers, it's exploding outside, and we're wearing flak jackets." VoTW Destrier - Misterpants

Ruger

• BattleTech Volunteer
  • Major
« Reply #52 on: 19 February 2020, 14:28:10 »
Judging by a pic on Sarna, i'd say it has a recognizable axe but not a rules-compliant one, no hand actuator...

From the pic MLO4H posted, I can almost see a hand (mitten-covered though) wielding an old stone handaxe, just not quite the way most were held irl.

Ruger
"If someone ever tries to kill you, you try to kill 'em right back." - Malcolm Reynolds, Firefly

"Who I am is where I stand. Where I stand is where I fall...Stand with me." - The Doctor, The Doctor Falls, Doctor Who

garhkal

• Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #53 on: 19 February 2020, 14:38:14 »
I can't see a hand actuator, covered or not.
It's not who you kill, but how they die!
You can't shoot what you can't see.
You can not dodge it if you don't know it's coming.

grimlock1

• Captain
« Reply #54 on: 19 February 2020, 15:34:00 »
Once I knew the Scarabus had a hatchet I went back and decided that it doesn't have a "hand actuator" in the sense of a manipulator, but it does have an extra swivel below the elbow, and the blade is in a slot, so there are ways to fine tune the blade position.  In a person, the power comes from the hips and shoulder.  Gross aim comes from the shoulder and elbow, and fine aim comes from the wrist/hand. The Scarabus takes the very logical step of skipping the traditional "hand," with its 15+ separate joints and FSM knows how many components, and bolting the blade to a modified "wrist."  So, with a bit of abstraction and mental gymnastics, the Scarabus does look rules compliant, at least if ****** my head and squint a little.

I can't make the Nightsky work, though.  That blade is just bolted to the vanbrace.  No two ways about it.

Interesting detail. Pity the upper body looks terrible.
No argument, although neither the hatchetman or axman is exactly the belle of the ball, either. Although the art in later versions manages to massage the proportions so both come out looking a bit better.

Empyrus

• Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #55 on: 19 February 2020, 15:41:29 »
I can't make the Nightsky work, though.  That blade is just bolted to the vanbrace.  No two ways about it.
No argument, although neither the hatchetman or axman is exactly the belle of the ball, either. Although the art in later versions manages to massage the proportions so both come out looking a bit better.
There's pretty-ugly and ugly-ugly. The Hatchetman is the former, the Nightsky (and Scarabus) the latter.

I have to admit ShimmeringSword's new Hatchetman looks better than its previous depictions though.

Greatclub

• Captain
« Reply #56 on: 19 February 2020, 20:45:17 »
The nightsky is one of the 3055 mechs I wanted in the kickstarter, along with the penetrator, gunslinger, and daikyu. Still a little pissed about what they did to the Scarabus and rest of the berserker lance.

Wrangler

• Colonel
  • Dang it!
    • Battletech Fanon Wiki
« Reply #57 on: 20 February 2020, 07:53:43 »
While the Nightsky's sculpt was not so terrible to, but Penterator's mini had mix problems. It was doable, i loved the base it was on since it was city thing. 

grimlock1

• Captain
« Reply #58 on: 20 February 2020, 08:44:02 »
There's pretty-ugly and ugly-ugly. The Hatchetman is the former, the Nightsky (and Scarabus) the latter.

I have to admit ShimmeringSword's new Hatchetman looks better than its previous depictions though.
Is he the one who did the art for TRO 3087?

Empyrus

• Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #59 on: 20 February 2020, 08:49:08 »
Is he the one who did the art for TRO 3087?
TRO 3087...?

ShimmeringSword is making the art for the Kickstarter and the nuseen classics. (Though final lineart may be done by someone else based on SS's design.)

Register