Author Topic: Ghost Bear- Hell's Horses Feud: How bad was it?  (Read 2188 times)

Drewbacca

• Major
  • What could have been...
Ghost Bear- Hell's Horses Feud: How bad was it?
« on: 28 September 2018, 09:17:25 »
I may have read this wrong but what I got from the two CLan Field Manuals was that until the two traded Khans on Tokasha, the feud was more a worthy enemy thing than a all-out hate fest. Is that correct and where does it sit now?

Colt Ward

• Lieutenant General
  • Gott Mit Uns
    • Merc Periphery Guide- Bakunin
Re: Ghost Bear- Hell's Horses Feud: How bad was it?
« Reply #1 on: 28 September 2018, 11:36:42 »
Well . . . the animosity started there, but Fletcher is the one that let it poison him and by his beliefs the upper ranks of the Horses touman.  Bear hatred and Crusader beliefs were litmus tests for the Khan's opinion of officers.

The Bears were aware of the Horses, but I never got the feeling it was like the Falcon/Wolf, Jaguar/Cat, Viper/Raven, or Burrock/Spirit rivalries.
Colt Ward
Clan Invasion Backer #149, Leviathans #104

"We come in peace, please ignore the bloodstains."

"Greetings, Mechwarrior. You have been recruited by the Star League to defend the Frontier against Daoshen and the Capellan armada."

Fallen_Raven

• Major
« Reply #2 on: 28 September 2018, 14:43:40 »
The Horse's list of grudges goes beyond simply losing Tokasha. The production facility there was the major source of omnimechs for the Horses, which they had finally accepted as necessary to remain viable in spite of their infantry and vehicle doctrine. The loss of that facility was a blow that kept the Horses from moving up to the major leagues. The Bears continued to launch raids on Horses territory (which were returned of course) over the following century. Being hit repeatedly by a major Clan that crippled your rebuilding during a key point would get under anyone's skin, especially if you managed to hold your own with supposedly inferior equipment. By the time Fletcher ascended to the Khanship the Horses had multiple generations that had a grudge against the Bears.
Subtlety is for those who lack a bigger gun.

The Battletech Forums: The best friends you'll ever fire high-powered weaponry at.-JadeHellbringer

Colt Ward

• Lieutenant General
  • Gott Mit Uns
« Reply #3 on: 28 September 2018, 15:09:57 »
I did not mean to down play some of the earlier stuff, but what we have in source material was a young Fletcher being at that Tokasha fight- scared for life and upset over the death of a Khan.  He his hatred consumed him over time, to the point that Vlad could manipulate the Horses and he risked everything against the Bear OZ before his Clan had really gained any advantages from the few worlds he was given.

If the core of the Clan was that poisoned then Cobb would not have been able to reverse that stance so easily.  Instead they sought out to take Jake Kabrinski as a abathka warrior and raised him to a position of power.

Which is the Horse perspective . . .

The Bears?  They seemed to treat it like the younger wannabe who declares the older kid a rival yet is not even on the radar for the older kid.
Colt Ward

"Greetings, Mechwarrior. You have been recruited by the Star League to defend the Frontier against Daoshen and the Capellan armada."

Tyler Jorgensson

• Captain
« Reply #4 on: 28 September 2018, 16:40:48 »
For a while their was a fierce rivalry: the Bears took the facility's but lost one of their most favorite and best Khans. The next dozen years until Horse Khan Fletcher's death was the Horses being ultra radical and Crusader with a hatred of the Ghost Bears as a focus. The Bears disliked the Horses and sought to uphold their position in the Inner Sphere and as Wardens against what is most likely their direct competitor in terms of tactics and strategy: i.e. Elementals, combined arms, etc.

After Khan Fletcher's death things scaled down slightly: grudges were settled. The Trial for Jake Kabrinski and the taking of an Occupation Zone in the Inner Sphere by the Horses sorta settled into a Cold War-ish scenario. Mutual respect, some cooperation against the Blakists, and Jake Kabrinski rising to Khan didn't hurt either. Not as great allies as the Snow Ravens or even the Diamond Sharks but not quite enemies anymore.

Fast forward to the Dark Age and Malvinas Horses have sunk their teeth into the Horses. A mini-civil War has split the Horses into two factions both seeking to supplant the other has gripped the Horses and their common foil is the Ghost Bears. The Wolves have moved out and the Falcons are 'allies' so let's pit our forces versus the Bears. Cooperation is no longer a thing, and the Bears might have the flex their muscles to show them why you shouldn't mess with the Bears. Skirmishes have been frequent to say the least and both sides have come out even, but the old saying goes (especially in BT) 'Don't poke the sleeping bear'.

Just my two cents and opinions.

Apocal

• Warrant Officer
« Reply #5 on: 30 October 2018, 13:20:35 »
Was there ever any story fiction written about the feud?

Colt Ward

• Lieutenant General
  • Gott Mit Uns
« Reply #6 on: 30 October 2018, 13:50:12 »
No but . . . the Tokasha product coming out should have some interesting stuff!
Colt Ward

Drewbacca

• Major
  • What could have been...
« Reply #7 on: 09 November 2018, 06:48:37 »
I can't wait.

Foxx Ital

• Captain
  • Still Clanilicious
« Reply #8 on: 09 November 2018, 07:22:56 »
Was there ever any story fiction written about the feud?

Test of vengeance shows the feud from a horses perspective.
Clan Ghost Bear:  We may not like you, but you're not bothering us, so you may exist.
 If your BA tactics can't be described as shenanigans, you're probably doing it wrong. ^-^ -Weirdo
 <Kojak> Yeah, there's definitely a learning curve with BA, But once you learn how to use 'em well they're addictive,heck, just look at what happened to Foxx ;-)
<Steve_Restless> its YOU who I shouldn't underestimate. I could give you a broom handle and I'd find you sitting on top of the enemy stormcrow, smug surat grin on your face

Wrangler

• Colonel
  • Dang it!
    • Battletech Fanon Wiki
« Reply #9 on: 09 November 2018, 10:46:17 »
Test of vengeance shows the feud from a horses perspective.
I totally agree with Foxx. It goes detailed accounts with Fletcher and end of the feud started generations before.

It will take freelancer writer to chose to want write early Clan event like that. The field manuels for individual for the crusaders ajd wardens were pretty good sources for these time.
« Last Edit: 11 November 2018, 07:55:32 by Wrangler »
"Men, fetch the Urbanmechs.  We have an interrogation to attend to." - jklantern
"How do you defeat a Dragau? Shoot the damn thing. Lots." - Jellico 
"No, it's a "Most Awesome Blues Brothers scene Reenactment EVER" waiting to happen." VotW Destrier - Weirdo  
"It's 200 LY to Sian, we got a full load of shells, a half a platoon of Grenadiers, it's exploding outside, and we're wearing flak jackets." VoTW Destrier - Misterpants
-Editor on Battletech Fanon Wiki

Foxx Ital

• Captain
  • Still Clanilicious
« Reply #10 on: 09 November 2018, 16:52:39 »
Fun fact, the author is who the gausszilla pilot is named after.
Clan Ghost Bear:  We may not like you, but you're not bothering us, so you may exist.
 If your BA tactics can't be described as shenanigans, you're probably doing it wrong. ^-^ -Weirdo
 <Kojak> Yeah, there's definitely a learning curve with BA, But once you learn how to use 'em well they're addictive,heck, just look at what happened to Foxx ;-)
<Steve_Restless> its YOU who I shouldn't underestimate. I could give you a broom handle and I'd find you sitting on top of the enemy stormcrow, smug surat grin on your face

Register