Author Topic: Infantry dismounting from airborne WiGE vehicles?  (Read 1531 times)

ArcFurnace

• Sergeant
Infantry dismounting from airborne WiGE vehicles?
« on: 13 May 2023, 17:38:56 »
Can infantry ever dismount from airborne WiGE vehicles?

The mounting rules on Total Warfare page 224 are very clear, stating that either the WiGE (or VTOL) vehicle must be landed, or the infantry must have VTOL MP and be at the same elevation in the same hex as the WiGE/VTOL. However, the Dismounting heading starting on the same page and continuing onto page 225 never explicitly states that the vehicle must be on the ground, and there is no further mention of WiGE vehicles under that heading.

The existence of special rules for dismounting from airborne VTOLs implies that dismounting from an airborne ground unit is a special case, and WiGE vehicles are specifically not mentioned under that heading, so I expect the answer is "No," but I have someone trying to argue this and would like an explicit ruling.

ArcFurnace

• Sergeant
Re: Infantry dismounting from airborne WiGE vehicles?
« Reply #1 on: 13 May 2023, 18:18:36 »
Update: In the older printings of Total Warfare, a footnote on the "Infantry Dismounting Table" (page 226, first printing) indicated that an infantry unit without either Jump or VTOL MP cannot dismount from an airborne unit. This may have been lost when the table was errata'd out, as I do not actually see this explicitly stated anywhere in recent printings. This may imply that it actually should be possible to jump out of an airborne WiGE, but if so then that should probably be noted in the same section as jumping out of VTOLs.
« Last Edit: 18 April 2024, 19:50:17 by ArcFurnace »

ArcFurnace

• Sergeant
« Reply #2 on: 07 July 2023, 18:19:35 »
Bump.

ArcFurnace

• Sergeant
« Reply #3 on: 01 September 2023, 19:29:12 »
Bump.

ArcFurnace

• Sergeant
« Reply #4 on: 03 November 2023, 18:30:46 »
Bump.

ArcFurnace

• Sergeant
« Reply #5 on: 15 February 2024, 19:47:18 »
Bump.

Register