Author Topic: MWO - Solaris...First thoughts...  (Read 1628 times)

YingJanshi

• Major
  • Switch Friend Code: SW-4326-4622-8514
MWO - Solaris...First thoughts...
« on: 20 July 2018, 21:37:38 »
Well, first impression...I suuuuuuuuuuck and how! Have played 10 matches so far and have lost every single one without doing more than 20 damage. I'm not going to rail at the game, it's clearly my lack of skill (though I don't remember being this bad in MW3 or MW4...)
I've played with all of the trainer 'Mechs available. Right now I'm running a custom WHM (max armor, dual Snub PPCs, Laser AMS, and spare tonnage into Heat Sinks), not a fantastic machine, but on table top I think it would be okay. In MWO....apparently not so much.

Some other observations:
1) I can't figure out their divisions, it seems all over the place, the last 3 matches (in my WHM) I faced a Piranha, a King Crab and an Atlas. From what I've read, 'Mechs are supposed to be divided into 7 distinct divisions....and it's beyond me how those 3 'Mechs can be considered in anyway in the same division as my WHM. (Seriously, how is a 'Mech that out masses me by 30 tons supposed to be fair?) I think they should have just stuck with the 4 weight classes.

2) I'm really noticing the lack of melee here. Especially against that Piranha. Even with my snubbies I could barely hit him after he ran up into my face, since he was so much shorter than me. Would have been very helpful if I had been able to kick him....

3) It's cool that they have all five arenas...but to be honest, I'm not really impressed by any of the maps. They're just...underwhelming.

Anyway, those are my first thoughts, I'll keep playing it though. Hopefully I'll win a match eventually... XD

Initiate of the Order of Valhalla

(HBS: Backer #4,960)
(Clan Invasion: Backer #314)
(Mercenaries: Backer #6,017)

Cyc

• Captain
    • CycKath at DeviantArt
Re: MWO - Solaris...First thoughts...
« Reply #1 on: 22 July 2018, 01:21:09 »
Solaris is a different beast than normal MWO, lot of QP, group and FP configs just don't work. Unless its because you have nothing left that'd fit, i'd argue against any AMS for example. Just lots of armor, front-loaded damage and heat sinks. If your agile you can get away with less heat sinks to peal off to cool down, but possible to trade speed for more armor/weps/heat sinks if your an assault. Its why the Annihilator rules tier 1.

The flipside of that is the Divisions are based off the performance of the other modes, which is why certain variants are in certain divisions rather than entire 'Mechs being in just one division. Why makes many 'Mechs and variants good in the other modes carries over to Solaris, its just weapons loadouts have to change.

NeonKnight

• Freelance Writer
  • Major
  • Cause Them My Initials!
« Reply #2 on: 22 July 2018, 11:34:52 »
A lot, and I mean A LOT of the Mech's just have a different build there.

I notice a lot, and I mean a LOT of SRM 6's in a great many builds.

I seem to do quite well in Div 6 with a Hunchback 4G with LB20x, and 3 Medium Lasers.

At one time I was ranked 37th in that Division.
« Last Edit: 22 July 2018, 11:38:33 by NeonKnight »
AGENT #575, Vancouver Canada

Wrangler

• Colonel
  • Dang it!
    • Battletech Fanon Wiki
« Reply #3 on: 22 July 2018, 16:57:37 »
Im hopeless. I have not one win yet. Im not sure if i can do it.
"Men, fetch the Urbanmechs.  We have an interrogation to attend to." - jklantern
"How do you defeat a Dragau? Shoot the damn thing. Lots." - Jellico 
"No, it's a "Most Awesome Blues Brothers scene Reenactment EVER" waiting to happen." VotW Destrier - Weirdo  
"It's 200 LY to Sian, we got a full load of shells, a half a platoon of Grenadiers, it's exploding outside, and we're wearing flak jackets." VoTW Destrier - Misterpants
-Editor on Battletech Fanon Wiki

Cyc

• Captain
    • CycKath at DeviantArt
« Reply #4 on: 24 July 2018, 05:45:06 »
Another reason Solaris can prove useful - any all mode MWO challenges that require you to get kills, kills most damaged dealt or certain match score are often much easier to obtain compared to QP assuming you do some damage and win of course.

YingJanshi

• Major
  • Switch Friend Code: SW-4326-4622-8514
« Reply #5 on: 24 July 2018, 15:18:25 »
Im hopeless. I have not one win yet. Im not sure if i can do it.

I know how that is: still haven't one a match yet. It's frustrating.

Initiate of the Order of Valhalla

(HBS: Backer #4,960)
(Clan Invasion: Backer #314)
(Mercenaries: Backer #6,017)

Register