Author Topic: Iron Wind VTOLs: Bases and Stands  (Read 2821 times)

OatsAndHall

• Warrant Officer
Iron Wind VTOLs: Bases and Stands
« on: 25 March 2022, 16:38:07 »
I've purchased several VTOLs from Iron Wind and I've had to drill a hole in the base and in the model for the stand. I've been using a Dremel tool that's woefully inadequate; it takes forever and I have to load the model up with glue to keep it on the stand. I'm looking for reasonably cheap drill and bits to improve this process.

faithless

• Catalyst Demo Team
  • Lieutenant
  • I am a meat popsicle.
Re: Iron Wind VTOLs: Bases and Stands
« Reply #1 on: 25 March 2022, 16:46:43 »
I am a fan of the 4v ryobi. I use it for other hobby work as well.

Search for 4-Volt Lithium-Ion Screwdriver Kit. For the bits I use quick change drill bits. And it is pretty handy as an electric screw driver around the house too.
Demo Agent #715
Game HQ Oklahoma City, OK
Carolina Comics Lawton, OK
Oklahoma Battletech Group on Facebook

Cache

• Captain
    • Lords of the Battlefield
« Reply #2 on: 25 March 2022, 17:52:04 »
Do you have a standard drill? If so, use that for drilling holes for thicker wire like flight stands.

OatsAndHall

• Warrant Officer
« Reply #3 on: 28 March 2022, 07:40:21 »
Thanks for the responses. No, I don't have a drill; I just have a Dremel with some drill bits for metal. That tool isn't getting the job done; it just doesn't have the power to drill deep into pewter.

Sartris

• Codex Conditor
  • BattleTech Volunteer
  • Colonel
  • Cap’n-Generalissimost
    • Master Unit List
« Reply #4 on: 28 March 2022, 09:09:16 »
I find a pin vice to be adequate in a pinch

You bought the box set and are ready to expand your bt experience. Now what? | Modern Sourcebook Index | FASA Sourcebook Index | Print on Demand Index
Equipment Reference Cards | DIY Pilot Cards | PaperTech Mech and Vehicle Counters

Interviewer: Since you’ve stopped making art, how do you spend your time?
Paul Chan Breathers: Oh, I’m a breather. I’m a respirateur. Isn’t that enough?

OatsAndHall

• Warrant Officer
« Reply #5 on: 28 March 2022, 11:03:57 »
I find a pin vice to be adequate in a pinch

Thank you. It's the tool itself that's inadequate though. It's really my own fault, Dremel tools aren't designed to drill into heavier material like pewter At least not easily, lol.

Cache

• Captain
    • Lords of the Battlefield
« Reply #6 on: 28 March 2022, 11:28:38 »
Pin vise is what I generally use. Have a friend who puts his pin vise in a standard drill.

jbressel

• Warrant Officer
  • Sic Vis Pacem Parabellum
« Reply #7 on: 29 May 2022, 21:40:10 »
Pin vise is what I generally use. Have a friend who puts his pin vise in a standard drill.

Ok, your problem isn't the drill, I use HAND drill pin buses for ALL my drilling. Bite the bullet, get some decent bits, preferrably titanium nitride coated(cheaper than it sounds). I drill metal, all the time, effortlessly, with minimum pressure. Just don't cheapo it.

Joel47

• Catalyst Demo Team
  • Lieutenant
  • I paid for my Atlas by selling action figures.
« Reply #8 on: 31 May 2022, 11:15:25 »
Ok, your problem isn't the drill, I use HAND drill pin buses for ALL my drilling. Bite the bullet, get some decent bits, preferrably titanium nitride coated(cheaper than it sounds). I drill metal, all the time, effortlessly, with minimum pressure. Just don't cheapo it.
This. In my experience, 90% of all drilling problems are caused by cheap bits. "High-speed steel" sounds cool, but actually ranges from bad to terrible -- and the tiny bits we use for this stuff are usually milder steel than should be used for the application. Either buy good bits or treat them as disposable (like razor blades).

RickSteele

• Private
  • AS7-D: Un-pimping your ride since 2761
« Reply #9 on: 03 June 2022, 08:46:06 »
IMO, a dremel spins way too fast for the relatively soft pewter type metal.  While, typically, you want to spin a smaller drill (bit) faster, the pewter (or lead) is a bit gummy, and the small bits are fragile.

Pin vise should be obtainable for ~US$20 or less and should take only a few minutes to drill out whatever you need.

If you feel you need a power option, a regular cordless drill should be ideal. You might need to get a collet or adapter to hold a small enough bit.  The one that comes with the pin vise works nice.

One final tip: drill a second hole in your VTOL and base, clip the wire down to 2 shorter pieces. Keeps the VTOL from spinning on the base and makes it less tippy, and easier to fit into a mini case.

HTH!

klarg1

• Captain
« Reply #10 on: 03 June 2022, 22:54:40 »
I usually use a hand-held pin vise too.

I love my rotary tool (Dremel) but they rarely have the torque needed to push steel through pewter easily. You could try clamping the mini into a machinist's mill but that seems slightly overkill.

Register