Author Topic: The Periphery (First Edition)  (Read 12371 times)

TigerShark

• Major
    • MekWars: Dominion
Re: The Periphery (First Edition)
« Reply #30 on: 18 February 2011, 11:48:01 »
This is still one of my favorite source books, for obvious reasons. We got very little info on the beginnings of the Periphery realms and their interaction with the Hegemony/League. This book was the sole source of information for fans of those particular factions (at the time).

Even now, with no plans for Operation: Liberation in the works, the numbers presented in this book (along with "The Star League") are the only source for generating scenarios at this crucial juncture. The Age of War / Star League Era is my favorite to be played, especially with all of the interesting factions around. :)
  W W W . M E K W A R S - D O M I N I O N . C O M

"You will fight to the last soldier, and when you die, I will call upon your damned soul to speak horrible curses at the enemy."
     - Orders of Emperor Stefan Amaris to his troops

roosterboy

• Site Maintenance
  • Major
  • J'accuse!
« Reply #31 on: 18 February 2011, 12:09:57 »
Even now, with no plans for Operation: Liberation in the works

TPTB have said for years that a two-volume Historical: Liberation of Terra would be coming once Historical: Reunification War was out of the way. I haven't seen anything to change that.

In fact, here's the most recent word on it from the monthly chats:
Quote from: 2010-0814 BattleChat 1
<BH-21> Now that you have LAM rules will Randal or you Herb ever dive into the Liberation of Terra 2777 during this license period
<Habeas2> BH-21 - The LIberation of Terra Historicals are planned for further down the road at this point. 2011 or 2012 at the earliest, due to production schedule needs.
Quote from: 2010-1016 BattleChat 1
<ghost0402> Can we expect the SL era invasion of Terra in 2011?
<Habeas2-Chat> Ghost0402 - At present the Star League Liberation of Terra is not slated for 2011's product line.

So, 2012 at the earliest but it is being planned.

Guardsman

• Captain
  • Sang-wei Christopher Vose
« Reply #32 on: 18 February 2011, 14:18:39 »
TPTB have said for years that a two-volume Historical: Liberation of Terra would be coming once Historical: Reunification War was out of the way. I haven't seen anything to change that.

I WANT!
Dan "Albatross" Schulz
(
1979 - 8 November 2009)
You won't be forgotten,
You will live on forever,
So long as the internet exists,
We shall remember you, Albatross.
1st Chesterton Guards
Regiment/Veteran/Fanatical
100% Strength | 100% Upgraded

Dread Moores

• Captain
« Reply #33 on: 18 February 2011, 16:18:00 »
Um, wow. 60 pages of blank space? How'd you acquire yours? :(

Bought it from a game store back when it came out. Didn't even look at for probably two years after I bought it. At that time, none of us in the local BT crew really cared much for the Periphery, as we were too wrapped up in ComStar machinations in our current campaign. By the time I realized it was so screwed up (having not looked at in the store, simply bought it with a stack of other BT books at the time), that game store was long extinct. I've borrowed a copy from a friend in the years since, and I'm don't feel like I'm missing a lot by not replacing it. I don't really have much of a favored faction, and I have enough other Periphery information to fit my tastes. I'm not much of a Reunification War fan, so I don't really need that info either. When I read the book many years later, it was long after overall editing had improved. So the original book didn't really flip my lid any. I can understand why fans dig it, just wasn't really a favorite of mine.

Edit: Guardsman, that's really not the worst of the bunch. My FM: CC is missing nearly 85. There was no getting around it at the time, as the entire stock of FM:CCs available at the only game store in the area (at that time) had the same issue. I could have bought a later print run, but I never really bothered. At the time, we weren't messing about much with the Crusader Clans. And since then, well, I have other sources that cover most of the info I'd need from that. I seem to recall other folks mentioning various page loss as well. Then again, most of the section it was missing was the rules section and Clan Wolf info. I wasn't missing much by missing out on Wolf info. :)

Guardsman

• Captain
« Reply #34 on: 18 February 2011, 16:24:52 »
Bought it from a game store back when it came out. Didn't even look at for probably two years after I bought it. At that time, none of us in the local BT crew really cared much for the Periphery, as we were too wrapped up in ComStar machinations in our current campaign. By the time I realized it was so screwed up (having not looked at in the store, simply bought it with a stack of other BT books at the time), that game store was long extinct. I've borrowed a copy from a friend in the years since, and I'm don't feel like I'm missing a lot by not replacing it. I don't really have much of a favored faction, and I have enough other Periphery information to fit my tastes. I'm not much of a Reunification War fan, so I don't really need that info either. When I read the book many years later, it was long after overall editing had improved. So the original book didn't really flip my lid any. I can understand why fans dig it, just wasn't really a favorite of mine.

Edit: Guardsman, that's really not the worst of the bunch. My FM: CC is missing nearly 85. There was no getting around it at the time, as the entire stock of FM:CCs available at the only game store in the area (at that time) had the same issue. I could have bought a later print run, but I never really bothered. At the time, we weren't messing about much with the Crusader Clans. And since then, well, I have other sources that cover most of the info I'd need from that. I seem to recall other folks mentioning various page loss as well. Then again, most of the section it was missing was the rules section and Clan Wolf info. I wasn't missing much by missing out on Wolf info. :)

Tough luck there, and wow, both stories are pretty amazing.
Dan "Albatross" Schulz
(
1979 - 8 November 2009)
You won't be forgotten,
1st Chesterton Guards

Maelwys

• Major
« Reply #35 on: 18 February 2011, 21:42:42 »
I wonder how much censorship has to do with it? By giving realms ethnic backgrounds, it could put off some readers. The newer material is quite bland by comparison.

Not sure its censorship has much to do with it. Maybe a different mindset, or information deliberately left out to include later in the Reunification War book. Still, some more details would've been nice :)

TigerShark

• Major
    • MekWars: Dominion
« Reply #36 on: 18 February 2011, 21:44:46 »

I had read the BattleChats but apparently missed that Operation: Liberation was even being considered. Honest mistake and no one is more glad to hear the opposite than myself. :)
  W W W . M E K W A R S - D O M I N I O N . C O M

"You will fight to the last soldier, and when you die, I will call upon your damned soul to speak horrible curses at the enemy."
     - Orders of Emperor Stefan Amaris to his troops

greywolf79

• Lieutenant
« Reply #37 on: 18 March 2011, 02:32:04 »
I wonder when BT will be big enough to have collector's willing to pay big bucks for the editions with print errors like 60+ missing pages...
GreyWolf.

Guardsman

• Captain
« Reply #38 on: 18 March 2011, 03:50:55 »
I wonder when BT will be big enough to have collector's willing to pay big bucks for the editions with print errors like 60+ missing pages...

An issue of Actions Comics with a third of the issue missing isn’t worth big bucks, so uh, yeah . . . have fun waiting.
Dan "Albatross" Schulz
(
1979 - 8 November 2009)
You won't be forgotten,
1st Chesterton Guards

ANS Kamas P81

• Colonel
  • Reimu sees what you have done.
« Reply #39 on: 18 March 2011, 03:51:27 »
Prior to its PDFs, how much were copies of the Star League sourcebook going for on eBay?
Der Hölle Rache kocht in meinem Herzen,
Tod und Verzweiflung flammet um mich her!
Fühlt nicht durch dich Jadefalke Todesschmerzen,
So bist du meine Tochter nimmermehr!

Guardsman

• Captain
« Reply #40 on: 18 March 2011, 03:52:14 »
Prior to its PDFs, how much were copies of the Star League sourcebook going for on eBay?

Ooh, that is a good question. I have no idea of the answer, but it is a good quesiton, and I'd love to hear more about that!
Dan "Albatross" Schulz
(
1979 - 8 November 2009)
You won't be forgotten,
1st Chesterton Guards

Stormfury

• Major
  • Death couldn't stop me. How will you?
« Reply #41 on: 18 March 2011, 03:53:41 »
The one time I saw it on offer, and with some days to run on the bidding, a copy was nearing US $300.
Mordin Solus: We need a plan to stop them.
John Shepard: We fight or we die. That's the plan.
Ashley Williams: Wow. That's the plan? Is it just me, or did Shepard have better plans before he died?
Urdnot Wrex: Silence! This is the best plan anyone, anywhere has ever had!
Garrus Vakarian: Yes! I AM SO THERE I AM THERE ALREADY!
Tali'Zora vas Normandy: *Facepalm*

Frabby

• Major
« Reply #42 on: 18 March 2011, 04:39:36 »
I saw one offered for (iirc) 127 US$ on Ebay in (again, iirc) 2009 but it went unsold. I saw it sold on Ebay twice for just below 100 $ or €.
Sarna.net BattleTechWiki Admin
Author of the BattleCorps stories Feather vs. Mountain, Rise and Shine, Proprietary, Trial of Faith & scenario Twins

Register