Author Topic: Strong Passwords? (And time to reset YOURS too)  (Read 16382 times)

Hunter

Strong Passwords? (And time to reset YOURS too)
« on: 24 January 2011, 16:35:24 »
Interesting change. I've been moving to altered passphrases over the last year, but this gives me a kick in the pants to do it here too.

More importantly, for anyone who hasn't been paying close attention to Deathshadow's 'forums are down' message, YOUR USERNAME/PASSWORD SHOULD BE CONSIDERED POTENTIALLY COMPROMISED. That doesn't mean "OMG, all your similar accounts have been hacked!" It means they're extremely vulnerable to hacking by whoever decided to destroy the Battletech forums, should they get a bug in their bonnet to go do such a thing.

That means any accounts that share that username/password, the linked email account (if that has the same password), and 'log in with your email address' websites such as Facebook, if they share the same email addy and password as CBT.com, are all potentially compromised. Hopefully you don't have an online banking account that uses the same username/password as your old CBT.com account did, or the same login-with-my-email address/password.

Basically, any place you use the same password that your old CBT.com account had, if there are ANY points of similarity that could lead an observer to connect the two, should be changed.

Deathrider6

• General Counsel Ngo Industries
  • BattleTech Volunteer
  • Lieutenant
  • Go ahead, try and run.
Re: Strong Passwords? (And time to reset YOURS too)
« Reply #1 on: 25 January 2011, 00:42:15 »
Highly recommended a good idea for sure.
"You're either with me, or you hate freedom and kittens. " - consequences on VSD and a draw result of the Great Refusal.

Wombat

• Captain
« Reply #2 on: 25 January 2011, 20:56:36 »
I thought of that right away! Nothing says "here I am" like using the same PW. I also changed it on other things I was using, just to be safe.

...granted these days, whats safe?   :-X
"Remember gweilo, you suck when you are nervous." - James Hong

"Everyone has a plan until you get punched in the mouth." - Mike Tyson

"I reject your reality and substitute my own." - Adam Savage

greatsarcasmo

• Fabricator General
  • Global Moderator
  • Lieutenant Colonel
  • Ordo Scriptorum
« Reply #3 on: 25 January 2011, 21:14:48 »
I *may* have used the same password for everything... So here is hoping I remember the new ones!!!
Maker of big things.

Joskney

• Troubled one...
  • Corporal
  • Lesnovo's Ronin Warrior.
« Reply #4 on: 25 January 2011, 22:41:03 »
...granted these days, whats safe?   :-X

Didn't we always think that of you?? ::wink::
472nd Division (ComStar), 12th Army

Sid

• Lieutenant
« Reply #5 on: 26 January 2011, 00:46:59 »

The topic mentions "Strong Passwords" but doesn't seem to address them in the post.

The reason our passwords may be compromised is that whoever hacked the site most likely has the hashed values of our passwords.  They can use a password cracker to attempt and crack the passwords... the weaker your password is, the more likely they'll be able to crack it. 

If your password is strong enough (any password can be cracked- it's just a matter of time.  A weak password will be cracked in less than a second.  A sufficiently strong password can take months, or even years, to crack)

A few tips on creating strong passwords:

-Use a minimum of 8 characters for your passwords. 

Passwords become exponentially more difficult to "crack" with each character.  A password that is 8 characters is significantly more difficult to crack than a password with 7, which is significantly more difficult to crack than 6 (and so on).  The reason 8 characters is the 'magic number' for minimum goes back to older Window servers that use the old LM Hash scheme for backwards compatibility.  Basically, LM hash would break a password into two halves of 7 characters each.  If a password only had 7 (or less) characters, the second half was full of 0s and would be cracked instantly.  You can read more about that here

-Never use dictionary words

Passwords are stored in a hash format usually (and most likely done on this very forum).  Hashes, unlike encryption, can NOT be reversed.  "Cracking" a password, therefor, is actually a trial and error process where random strings of text are hashed over and over again until a hash matches your password's hash.  (For example, your password when hashed is "abcd".  A 'cracker' will try random characters until it gets a result of "abcd"- the string it uses is [usually] your password).  Password "crackers" will usually first use a file containing a list of dictionary words to attempt and crack the password, as many people use dictionary words for their passwords.  Most crackers are sophisticated enough to automatically capitalize the letters and add numbers to the beginning and end of the words.  (I.e, using 'Password123' for a password is a very weak password)

-Use a mix of upper and lower case letters, numbers, and special characters

This ties in with a passwords' length.  To computers, the character 'a' and 'A' are two completely different characters.  This means that the password 'abcd' and the password 'Abcd' are two completely different passwords.  Furthermore, the difference between 'a' and 'A' is just as different to a computer as 'a' and 'z' or 'a' and '!'.  If the dictionary list fails, a password cracker will resort to a 'brute force' attack, where it simply tries every combination possible.

Locktown.co.uk has some excellent info on the time required to crack passwords from 2007 (so times will be even faster now).  As you can see, if you use a password with only lower case letters (26 possible characters) and it's 5 characters long, a cracker has up to 11.8 Million different combinations to attempt before it cracks the password.  If you add numbers to the mix (lower case and numbers), the cracker has up to 60.4 million combinations to go through. If you add upper case and special characters to that the number of possible combinations goes up to 8 Billion (8 character long passwords, by the way, have a possible combination of 7.2 Quadrillion)

In conclusion, try to include at least one upper case letter, one lower case letter, one number, and one special character in your passwords.

-Substitute numbers and special characters for letters

To make passwords easier to remember, you can substitute letters and special characters in for letters.  You can use @ instead of 'a' for example, or 0 (zero) for the letter o.  Try 3 for 'e' or an exclamation mark for the letter i.  For example, Microsoft commonly uses 'password' for passwords in their courses to make things easier (students forget passwords...).

However, as their software often requires strong passwords, "password" is often written as P@ssw0rd.  It's 8 characters long, contains an upper case letter, a number (zero is substituted for the letter o) and a special character (@ is substituted for the letter 'a').  While the password is, in fact, a dictionary word... it's still quite strong because most crackers don't consider it the same as 'password', even if they are able to try substitution.

Of course, P@ssw0rd is commonly known and in virtually every dictionary file list out there...making it just as weak as any other dictionary word.  (So don't use it ;) )

-Try using a phrase instead of a word

To help create a password that isn't a dictionary word and isn't impossible to remember, you can take a phrase or a lyric from a favorite song instead and simply take the first letter of each word.  For example:

"And I, for one, welcome our new WoB overlords"

becomes: AIfowonWo

Okay, not too bad.  We've got something here.  We've got 9 characters... that's pretty nice.  We've also got upper case letters (each capitalized letter in the sentence) and lower case letters (each non-capitalized letter in the sentence).  No dictionary list is going to have that word for sure!

But we can make it better.  Let's try to get some numbers in there.  One of the words in the phrase is 'one'...well, that's easy enough.  Let's swap that 'o' for literally the number 1.  We can do the same thing for the word 'for', which gave us the letter f. 

Okay... we've got AI41wonWo

Better, definitely better.  Now we've got three of the four types of characters in there.  Upper and lower characters and numbers.  Let's try to get a special character in there:  Let's swap that capital A for an @...

@I41wonWo

Perfect!  ...or is it?

-You can pad passwords too

Just like how the LM hash will pad out a password to make it 14 characters long (so it can break it into two groups of 7) we can pad our passwords too.  This can be as simple as putting brackets around our password such as (password) or quotation marks "password" or just adding some extra exclamation marks: password!!!

Taking our password from above, let's put some quotation marks around it, as it's a phrase Ken Brockman says in a Simpsons episode:  "@I41wonWo"

And because we really, really love our new Word of Blake masters... let's put some feeling into that phrase.  We should exclaim it!  We'll add an ! at the end, between the last word (overlords) and the ending quotation mark.

We get: "@I41wonWo!"

Which is... 12 characters long (Nice!), all four types of characters (in fact, we could change the @ back to A to make things easier to remember) which is even better, PLUS, it isn't a dictionary word...so even a cracker substituting numbers and special characters into dictionary words won't be able to crack it.

It's also not *too* hard to remember... so long as we continue to keep faith with the Wobbies.   ;)

Formerly known as 'Phad'

deathshadow

• Lieutenant
  • Special Tasks Group
    • Cut Code Down - Minimalist Semantic Markup
« Reply #6 on: 26 January 2011, 01:39:09 »
... and I don't know if you folks noticed, but the system is ENFORCING that 12 letter and at least one each of upper/lower/numeric. It's generally considered bad accessibility to FORCE the use of non-alphanumerics, but a good idea if you care about security to do it yourself.

It's like captcha's, the more secure you make them, the more likely you are to alienate potential users... at the same time you generally need them these days to squish the bots.

Bloody balancing act.
Death will take those who fight alone.
But united we can break a fate once set in stone.

CUTCODEDOWN.COM

Drufause

• Master Sergeant
  • We were never here.
« Reply #7 on: 26 January 2011, 01:49:24 »
From someone who works in IT i want to recommend this open source project for your personal investigation.  http://keepass.info/
Combat Command Counters Thread
http://www.classicbattletech.com/forums/index.php?topic=191.0
quote by OgreBattle on 09/08/2011
"Knowledge and social skills usually use separate attributes, and often when you're good at one you take the other as your dump stat."

Alex Keller

• Captain
« Reply #8 on: 26 January 2011, 02:13:43 »
Um... why would someone go through the trouble to gain Battletech forum passwords?

ClarkeMarek

• Captain
  • The original
« Reply #9 on: 26 January 2011, 02:18:51 »
Um... why would someone go through the trouble to gain Battletech forum passwords?

In the unlikely event that people use the exact same passwords for their emails, facebook/twitter/social net accounts, bank accounts, and stuff like that.
"Son, if dynamite was dangerous, do you think they'd sell it to an idiot like me?"~Al Bundy
Five rounds, rapid!

Lord Cameron

• Patron Saint of GenCon Goodies
  • Catalyst Demo Team
  • Captain
« Reply #10 on: 26 January 2011, 03:43:12 »

The topic mentions "Strong Passwords" but doesn't seem to address them in the post.

The reason our passwords may be compromised is that whoever hacked the site most likely has the hashed values of our passwords.  They can use a password cracker to attempt and crack the passwords... the weaker your password is, the more likely they'll be able to crack it. 

There is something to remember though, if you use special symbols AND access forums on a blackberry or something, make sure that you can enter your password on that device too.
Agent #395, West Coast CDT Lead

garhkal

• Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #11 on: 26 January 2011, 06:12:48 »

Cause a lot of people use the same password or a derivitive thereof for everything they can.

There is something to remember though, if you use special symbols AND access forums on a blackberry or something, make sure that you can enter your password on that device too.

Personally as i know 3 people who got their acc's hacked when entering passwords on mobile devices, i stick clear of them.....
It's not who you kill, but how they die!
You can't shoot what you can't see.
You can not dodge it if you don't know it's coming.

deathshadow

• Lieutenant
  • Special Tasks Group
    • Cut Code Down - Minimalist Semantic Markup
« Reply #12 on: 26 January 2011, 06:20:44 »
Personally as i know 3 people who got their acc's hacked when entering passwords on mobile devices, i stick clear of them.....

there's a reason I won't use my FTP or root level SSH passwords when on a wireless connection... save that **** for when I'm on a landline. Lord help you if you start using those things in public where anyone sitting two tables over can snatch EVERYTHING you're doing out of the air.

Though it's the age old computer security problem -- convenience is the enemy of security... or as the old joke goes: "The only secure system is one with zero access -- everything else is a matter of degree"
« Last Edit: 26 January 2011, 06:22:28 by deathshadow »
Death will take those who fight alone.
But united we can break a fate once set in stone.

CUTCODEDOWN.COM

Sid

• Lieutenant
« Reply #13 on: 26 January 2011, 09:21:17 »

Any number of reasons.

As already pointed out, people tend to use the same passwords for various things. 

Consider, for example, how many of us included our MSN, AIM, E-mail account details in our profiles.  Now, how many of us shared passwords between them?

Several years ago?  I was one.  So there was at least one for a little while.

MSN accounts that are compromised can be then used to attack live hosts- "Hey friend, check out this link" sort of deal, where the link points to a website containing a browser exploit, or downloads a trojan.

Hotmail accounts can be used to send out spam or phishing attacks etc.

There's also the ability to get back into the site.  If a user's password is compromised, and that same user recreates the account with the same password... people could use it to cause trouble. 

More likely, however, would be to attempt to use the cracked passwords at the Battleshop to try and obtain credit card information.

Finally, this is the official Battletech forums, afterall.  Battletech does make money, and the administrators' passwords are included in that password hash file.  While I would bet against Deathshadow using a weak password for the admin account, and also bet against DeathShadow using the same password for the website itself (considering the site itself wasn't compromised, I'd say I won that bet) there are other administrators at other websites and forums that don't follow good security practices.

Google Hacking is becoming more and more common these days (using Google to search for vulnerable websites or files that contain passwords).  There are many corporate networks that still use default passwords ("cisco" for routers and switches for example), and many of them contain sensitive information like credit cards...

Formerly known as 'Phad'

Fireangel

• Major
  • 7397 posts right down the toilet...
« Reply #14 on: 26 January 2011, 11:36:32 »
I generally use the same password on non-essential accounts (it's stupid-simple too!), but use some seriously evil cyphers for more important stuff. For example, CBT, WotC and reader forums all share the same PW. My e-mail PWs are far more complex and are never shared between accounts. Heck, I have an e-mail account with an idiot-grade PW just so I can send it docs to be recovered by other people who can't even spell their e-mail address without an Enigma Machine.

I don't write down my PWs; I might leave clues and keys for deciphering them (though I usually just memorize them).

Don't forget that you can add numbers and symbols to a PW to make it harder to crack.

Fat Ninja

• Private
« Reply #15 on: 26 January 2011, 17:52:07 »
Gack!  I hadn't even given it any thought.  Thanks, Hunter. 

Already got the only one that has any connection or similarity, but I reckon I should do all of them just in case.

It's time to change all of 'em anyways, I guess.
Still that same Fat Ninja from Wizkids, Realms, and every other flippin' place online.

garhkal

• Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #16 on: 26 January 2011, 22:33:15 »
rity problem -- convenience is the enemy of security... or as the old joke goes: "The only secure system is one with zero access -- everything else is a matter of degree"

That it is...  Many people i work with routinely go wifi access in the barracks for their internetting, but only 2 have passwords on it...  If i was inclined i could frak their systems over..

Sockmonkey

• Warrant Officer
« Reply #17 on: 27 January 2011, 16:33:23 »
One trick for making a really complex password that's really easy to remember is to look down at your keyboard and imagine each key as a pixel, then use the "pixels" to form letters that spell simple three or four letter words. Just spelling out "cat" like that gives you a random jumble of 17 letters that you won't ever forget.
That's it! Challenge the Clans to rock-paper-scissors in 3050! A good portion of the 'Mechs didn't have hands so the Inner Sphere would win!
If I had a nickel for every time I've legged a Warhammer, I could put them in a sock, spin it around and leg another Warhammer.

megatrons2nd

• Warrant Officer
  • All hail Megatron
« Reply #18 on: 27 January 2011, 20:05:50 »
Good thing all the important stuff is in my wife's Laptop with different passwords and all my non essential stuff is in my "gaming" laptop.  But I'll rearrange my passwords anyway.
All the world's a joke and the people merely punchlines.

Goose

• Lieutenant
  • … the Laws on his tail, burning for home …
    • Home of HeavyMetal Pro
Goose
The Ancient Egyptian God of Fractional AccountingAnimare Tai-sa Shikishima
I'm always ready to learn, although I do not always like being taught.

garhkal

• Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #20 on: 28 January 2011, 05:22:12 »
What's the LONGEST password some f you have had to use?

truegrit

• Catalyst Demo Team
  • Warrant Officer
    • ChenTech
« Reply #21 on: 28 January 2011, 11:32:51 »
Does anyone have any experience with 1Password or its ilk? Of all the password generation/management software, that one seems to be thrown around the most. I'd like something similar to it, but getting it for Mac AND Windows AND iOS is going to cost a bit, so I'd love to hear if anyone has testimonials.

Hunter

« Reply #22 on: 28 January 2011, 11:54:05 »
What's the LONGEST password some of you have had to use?

HAD to use? 16 characters.

Used for improved security and for the heck of it? 71 characters, to include upper, lower, special characters and numbers.

As long as you're using the right encryption methods, there are two ways to crack that.

1. Keystroke logger. It just works.
2. Start your brute-force attack with some kind of massively parallel cluster, and grab a Snickers. You're going to be here a while.

cavingjan

• Spelunca Custos
  • BattleTech Volunteer
  • Major
    • warrenborn
« Reply #23 on: 28 January 2011, 12:51:51 »
We are kicking around a 24 character one but without number and punctuation requirements. Spaces are allowed. We are trying to see if a multiword pass phrase will be easier on the staff.

Personally I find it easier to not only remember but also to type. We'll see if it stays after the 3 month password cycle.

JamesPryde

• Corporal
  • Star Captain James Pryde
« Reply #24 on: 29 January 2011, 04:14:11 »
there's a reason I won't use my FTP or root level SSH passwords when on a wireless connection... save that **** for when I'm on a landline. Lord help you if you start using those things in public where anyone sitting two tables over can snatch EVERYTHING you're doing out of the air.

Though it's the age old computer security problem -- convenience is the enemy of security... or as the old joke goes: "The only secure system is one with zero access -- everything else is a matter of degree"

I agree I get dirty looks from people when I complain about overcomplicated security reqs. I tell them if they are willing to go to this levle of hacking nothing you do will stop it. I have a system that requires 12 char min 2 #'s 2 caps, 2 lower, and 2 spec charecters. that's just to get online and it has to be chnaged every 6 months! So thanks guys for not going that far!!! I do appreciate all the work the people here do and you really shoud hear it more often between all our rants. [drool]
Star Captain James Pryde
Black Eagle Trinary

Major "Jumpin'" Jack Damien
Jack's Jesters

CDT #1186

garhkal

• Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #25 on: 29 January 2011, 04:24:10 »
It may not stop it, but it certainly can slow it.

cavingjan

• Spelunca Custos
  • BattleTech Volunteer
  • Major
    • warrenborn
« Reply #26 on: 29 January 2011, 16:55:32 »
Interesting to note that I received an email from Sourceforge. They also recently was hacked (or suspecting a password searching hack) and are resetting all account passwords.

I guess we aren't alone.

Sid

• Lieutenant
« Reply #27 on: 29 January 2011, 17:14:05 »
I agree I get dirty looks from people when I complain about overcomplicated security reqs. I tell them if they are willing to go to this levle of hacking nothing you do will stop it. I have a system that requires 12 char min 2 #'s 2 caps, 2 lower, and 2 spec charecters. that's just to get online and it has to be chnaged every 6 months! So thanks guys for not going that far!!! I do appreciate all the work the people here do and you really shoud hear it more often between all our rants. [drool]

While a determined hacker may get into a system, eventually, it takes time.  Changing a password every 6 months is based on how long it will take a hacker to brute force through a password. 

By the time he manages to crack it, it's useless- the password is now something new.  That's also why people usually enforce password histories that prevent you from using older passwords.

A little while ago, the MD5 hashing algorithm was proven vulnerable to collision attacks.  This was later used to forge SSL certificates (what computers use to verify a website is the website it says it is.  For example, a bank's website).

The hack, however, against SSL required 200 Playstation 3s to form a supercomputer.

http://www.zdnet.com/blog/security/ssl-broken-hackers-create-rogue-ca-certificate-using-md5-collisions/2339

There are, however, alternatives to MD5, and people are already moving away from it. 

It's a race, nothing more.  If you keep ahead of the hackers...you should be safe.  And that's why strong passwords should be used. (Significantly strong passwords can take months, or even years, to crack)

Formerly known as 'Phad'

OmniscientQ

• Corporal
    • MegaMek / BattleTech IRC Channel
« Reply #28 on: 29 January 2011, 17:18:03 »
I was one of the people who used a tiered password system. I had a high-strength one that I used for banking, a medium one for personal email, and a throw-away password. Every few months, each password would get downgraded a tier and a new top-level one created. The hack on CBT, though, made me reconsider it.

I'm now using KeePass, with a nice, long master password and a key file combined. I'm sure there are a few interwebs accounts out there that I can't remember and so have gone un-edited, but if I can't remember them they likely aren't important.

My former password generation system, though, was to use dice. A d12, a d4, and a d6. The d4 told you which line of the keyboard to use, the d12 told you how far from the left to count, and the d6 determined whether or not the Shift key was held down.
Q v2.0, Cluster Violet-6
End Transmission

garhkal

• Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #29 on: 30 January 2011, 01:11:33 »
Wow..  How did you remember it?

OmniscientQ

• Corporal
    • MegaMek / BattleTech IRC Channel
« Reply #30 on: 30 January 2011, 15:12:00 »
I wrote them down as the series of numbers shown on the dice. They were tough at first, of course, but repetition made the most commonly-used ones easier. It wasn't too cumbersome.

KeePass is much easier to use, though now I don't know what my passwords are at all.
Q v2.0, Cluster Violet-6
End Transmission

Mattlov

• Catalyst Demo Team
  • Lieutenant
  • Fnord.
« Reply #31 on: 03 February 2011, 22:53:51 »
Hell, I stayed logged in so long I don't even remember the password I had for the old forums...
"The rules technically allow all sorts of bad ideas." -Moonsword

Liam's Ghost

• Lieutenant Colonel
  • Miss Chitty finds your honor rules quaint.
« Reply #32 on: 04 February 2011, 17:07:39 »
In case folks aren't taking the security risk seriously, just today the email account of one of the board members has started spitting out emails that spit out malware.

Without the member's knowledge or consent I might add.

CHANGE YOUR DAMN PASSWORDS!
Good news is the lab boys say the symptoms of asbestos poisoning show an immediate latency of 44.6 years. So if you're thirty or over you're laughing. Worst case scenario you miss out on a few rounds of canasta, plus you've forwarded the cause of science by three centuries. I punch those numbers into my calculator, it makes a happy face.

(indirect accessory to the) Slayer of Monitors!

monbvol

• Colonel
  • I said don't look!
« Reply #33 on: 04 February 2011, 23:48:09 »
In case folks aren't taking the security risk seriously, just today the email account of one of the board members has started spitting out emails that spit out malware.

Without the member's knowledge or consent I might add.

CHANGE YOUR DAMN PASSWORDS!

The screwed up part is as the former holder of that e-mail account I feel the need to add a few details.  First of all the password on that e-mail was not the same as my old forums password.  Second I did get a bit lax since the entire reason I created that e-mail was as a throw away junk account anyway and therefore no real loss on my part.

So even if you do have a variety of passwords change them every now and again.

SLDF_Spector

• Sergeant
« Reply #34 on: 04 February 2011, 23:54:07 »
The screwed up part is as the former holder of that e-mail account I feel the need to add a few details.  First of all the password on that e-mail was not the same as my old forums password.  Second I did get a bit lax since the entire reason I created that e-mail was as a throw away junk account anyway and therefore no real loss on my part.

This is a good reason to use lastpass and the audit feature.
One day I will have a woman who's name doesn't end in jpg, bmp, or png.

garhkal

• Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #35 on: 05 February 2011, 05:38:27 »

One of the guys i work with had his account hacked twice in 3 years...  He now changes his password(s) every 3 months.

monbvol

• Colonel
  • I said don't look!
« Reply #36 on: 05 February 2011, 11:23:42 »
One of the guys i work with had his account hacked twice in 3 years...  He now changes his password(s) every 3 months.

Which I'm actually pretty good about doing with my accounts that I actually care about.

garhkal

• Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #37 on: 05 February 2011, 21:51:25 »
I am somewhat lax, but then again, i am also lucky in none of mine have been hacked yet.

Kamata Bodhisattva

« Reply #38 on: 16 February 2011, 07:32:21 »
I suppose I can understand the need for the stronger passwords, but I hate having it foisted on me.  In particularly I despise the mixing of letters and numbers.  It reminds me of the hated 733t53@k!  I can type a massively long passphrase that is just as strong as a mixed number and letter password, but noooo...  for some reason people have to tell me how my own passwords have to be structured.  Annoyance galore.

Sid

• Lieutenant
« Reply #39 on: 16 February 2011, 08:32:17 »
I suppose I can understand the need for the stronger passwords, but I hate having it foisted on me.  In particularly I despise the mixing of letters and numbers.  It reminds me of the hated 733t53@k!  I can type a massively long passphrase that is just as strong as a mixed number and letter password, but noooo...  for some reason people have to tell me how my own passwords have to be structured.  Annoyance galore.

Disclaimer:  I'm not trying to tell you how you must structure your passwords.  Just explain how it works.

A long string of random letters will not be as strong as an equally strong mix of letters, numbers, and special characters.

Consider trying to crack a passcode of two characters, of which only 0s and 1s may be used.  Possible combinations will be 22 (or 4 total combinations) and they are:

Making the password three characters long will give us 23 combinations, or 8 total, which are:

Now if we were to try the same with 0-9... well, even just two character long passwords would have 102 combinations, or 100- I won't list them all here (It would be 00 - 99 ;) ).  That's 25 times as many combinations as before.  Likewise, making a password 3 characters long would be 103, or 1,000 different possible combinations (000-999), which is 125 times more difficult.  Note that while adding a third character to the password in the first case only doubled the amount of possibilities (from 4 to 8 ), when you're using a base set of 10 different characters, going from 2 to 3 multiplies it by the base number of characters- 10.

Adding a single number, or better yet, adding a single number and a special character (such as @,$, or #) will change the number of possible combinations a password cracker has to try to guess a password correctly from millions  to quintillions or even more.  In other words, instead of taking a couple hours to crack a password, it takes weeks or even months.

In the end, using a mix of lower and upper base characters is far more simpler than using lower and upper case letters with numbers and special characters.  Adding just numbers isn't as strong as adding just upper case letters, sure, but it still makes it significantly more difficult for a cracker to guess the password.

Formerly known as 'Phad'

garhkal

• Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #40 on: 17 February 2011, 05:48:37 »

As someone who works in the IT field, i can say that just making your P.word just a bunch of words (that are in the dictionary) makes it a lot easier to crack than one with a mix of letters and numbers...

Up....  Sid said it better than i could.

BirdofPrey

• Major
« Reply #41 on: 20 February 2011, 15:54:20 »
The reason most people come up with weak passwords is that they can't remember the good ones, so here's a tip:  Bake memory cues into the password.
The best passwords are a mix of upper and loser case with numbers and symbols mixed in, but I remember words, so remembering gibberish or randomly capitalized letters is tough for me, so I chose a word, append a multi digit number to the end and then use the numbers as a capitalization guide.  Since the hint is part of the password they have to guess the password to get the hint, so it's not as bad as leaving a sticky note attached to your monitor (but none of you do that right?)

Neko_Bijin

• Lieutenant
  • Alpha Strike naïf
« Reply #42 on: 20 February 2011, 20:16:18 »
I've already forgotten my forum password.  How do I get it emailed to myself so I can change it?
"Lord Kurita is merciful.  You will be spared the humiliation of a trial.  Instead, you are invited to dine with your sainted ancestors.  You don't follow?  Let me rephrase.  I am about to run you through with my sword.  Now you get the picture?  Good."

CrossfirePilot

• Captain
« Reply #43 on: 20 February 2011, 22:15:44 »
In the unlikely event that people use the exact same passwords for their emails, facebook/twitter/social net accounts, bank accounts, and stuff like that.

and luggage!

garhkal

• Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #44 on: 23 February 2011, 04:27:46 »
so it's not as bad as leaving a sticky note attached to your monitor (but none of you do that right?)

Our last command security manager got BUSTED by the co for doing just that...

Xtrahmxwohld

• Catalyst Demo Team
  • Lieutenant
  • Utinni! A beton nya mombay m'bwa!
« Reply #45 on: 08 March 2011, 15:34:02 »
so it's not as bad as leaving a sticky note attached to your monitor (but none of you do that right?)

our users don't do that, they have a sticky note on the bottom of their keyboard.

When users resort to that, then you can't tell me that forced password changes every X months is more secure than 1 strong password that doesn't expire.
CDT Agent #319

garhkal

• Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #46 on: 09 March 2011, 05:52:22 »
Na.. i just log in using it, and leave a nasty gram for them....

JamesPryde

• Corporal
  • Star Captain James Pryde
« Reply #47 on: 21 May 2011, 14:55:25 »
It's just a shame that we have to go through all this at all. This is a place of fun and interaction too bad some are just bad apples out there messing it up. It's a minor nucance for me since I need over 27 different passwords for work anyway. :'(
Star Captain James Pryde
Black Eagle Trinary

Major "Jumpin'" Jack Damien
Jack's Jesters

CDT #1186

GRUD

• Captain
  • Quinn's Quads - 'Mechs on the March!
« Reply #48 on: 23 May 2011, 02:29:05 »
Several years ago (7 or 8?) I read in some PC magazine about a way to foil keylogging programs. You open a notepad (or WordPad) file, then type every character on your keyboard. Then, you cut & paste each character to form your password. Thus, while the keylogging program may have logged that you typed EVERY character, when you cut & paste, it can't "see" you doing that!

I started a Notepad file way back when I read about it, and while I do re-use some of my passwords among different sites, I feel safe about doing it, since I've NEVER actually typed the passwords out. On the rare occasions I've had to use a public computer (like at the library), I'll do the same thing. Open a notepad file, type all the keys, then cut & paste my password.

That being said, since I've only got ONE password that consists of UC letters, LC letters, numbers and special characters, I'm thinking I might do that for the others.  #P 

What Fun that will be.  :P

Those of you with other characters on your keyboard can probably make your PWs even more complicated. Basically, I mean you folks that can type other languages in addition to English. For instance, "Øystein", from Norway, can type certain characters I can't. I only got his "Ø" like that because I cut & pasted it from his profile.  ;D From my keyboard, it would look like this "O". Anyway, here's how I typed my characters.

1234567890!@#$%^&*()-_=+[{]}\|;:'",<.>/?`~
ABCDEFGHIJKLMNOPQRSTUVWXYZ
abcdefghijklmnopqrstuvwxyz
To me, Repros are 100% Wrong, and there's NO  room for me to give ground on this subject. I'm not just an Immovable Object on this, I'm THE Immovable Object. 3D Prints are just 3D Repros.

Something to bear in Mind. Defending the BT IP is Frowned upon here.

Remember: Humor is NOT Tolerated here. Have a Nice Day!

Hey! Can't a guy get any Privacy around here!

Greyhind

• Warrant Officer
  • I'm Watching You
« Reply #49 on: 23 May 2011, 04:06:17 »
I would be very surprised if key-logging came close to outright hacking in terms of password stealing. I can't see many people having the guts for that sort of thing.

That said I have been known to type my password in chunks, using my cursor to select where the next character will go. This is both paranoid and not going to work - go me.