Author Topic: Best book to introduce my wife to the Battletech Universe?  (Read 1490 times)

TSignus

• Recruit
Best book to introduce my wife to the Battletech Universe?
« on: 08 December 2019, 23:37:36 »
So I need some advice. I've been playing Battletech and reading the novels since the mid 1990's. My wife has never been interested in the game, but has noticed my intense interest in it. We have a longstanding tradition of taking turns reading a book to the other as a bedtime story over the course of several days or weeks (based on the book's length). She told me that for Christmas, she'll let me choose a Battletech novel to read to her as our next "bedtime story" and if it captures her interest, she'll consider joining my next campaign. I've been running through the novels in my head to try and figure out the best one to capture her interest and show her that it's more than just a bunch of mindless robots blasting each other. I only have one book so I'm not sure that the Warrior Trilogy or Blood of Kerensky are the right choice (those are normally the starting points I recommend to someone getting into Battletech). What would you say is the best book to win her over? Thanks!

-TS

Frabby

• Major
Re: Best book to introduce my wife to the Battletech Universe?
« Reply #1 on: 09 December 2019, 01:09:28 »
Wolves on the Border.
Sarna.net BattleTechWiki Admin
Author of the BattleCorps stories Feather vs. Mountain, Rise and Shine, Proprietary, Trial of Faith & scenario Twins

Greatclub

• Captain
« Reply #2 on: 09 December 2019, 01:27:40 »
'Decision at thunder rift,' the rest of that trilogy, or, yes, 'wolves on the border' are the best intro to the universe.

Depending on if her tastes are towards the pulp end of the spectrum, 'Close quarters' might work. 'Initiation to war,' 'heir to the dragon,' and 'wolf pack' are pretty good too. 'natural selection' isn't for everyone, but IMHO the best of Stackpole's novels.
« Last Edit: 09 December 2019, 01:37:56 by Greatclub »

SteelRaven

• Lieutenant Colonel
  • Fight for something or Die for nothing
    • The Steel-Raven at DeviantArt
« Reply #3 on: 09 December 2019, 02:16:52 »
+1 for Wolves on the Boarder, tells us allot about the 3rd SW and drops a ton of hints regarding the Clans.

Battletech Art and Commissions
http://steel-raven.deviantart.com

Col Toda

• Captain
« Reply #4 on: 09 December 2019, 08:16:00 »
Second Wolves at the Border

Daryk

• Lieutenant General
  • The Double Deuce II/II-σ
« Reply #5 on: 09 December 2019, 19:22:35 »
+1 more for Wolves on the Border... I'm not a huge fan of the fiction, but that one was good.  :thumbsup:

Orwell84

• Lieutenant
« Reply #6 on: 09 December 2019, 20:02:49 »
Another vote for Wolves on the Border. Best intro to the BT universe and the first novel that Hollywood should film IMHO. I've not read it in years but from what I remember

- Minobu Tetsuhara and Jaime Wolf's friendship and eventual conflict is a great personal story and clash of two cultures.
- The scene with Takashi and his warlords gives a window to the wider universe and puts the Minobu/Jaime story into context, without overwhelming the reader with details.
- The mystery and hints of the Dragoons' background presage the Clans entry into the setting.
- ComStar's tech-worship and machinations feature in the plot.
- The Black Widow
- Last but not least - the BattleMech action! Just the right balance between 'Mech combat and exploring the 'Game of Thrones'-esque setting.
All Clan totems are equal but some are more equal than others.

"The Succession Wars solved no problem. Their effects, both immediate and indirect, were either negative or disastrous. Morally subversive, economically destructive, socially degrading, confused in their causes, devious in their course, futile in their results, they are the outstanding example in Spheroid history of meaningless conflict."
The Third Star League's view of the Succession Wars, plagiarised from an ancient Terran historian's judgement of the Thirty Years War.

Rick88

• Recruit
« Reply #7 on: 09 December 2019, 20:19:54 »
Decision at Thunder Rift :thumbsup:
House Kurita when we say “put the planet to the sword” We are not speaking figuratively.

glitterboy2098

• Lieutenant Colonel
    • The Temple Grounds - My Roleplaying and History website
« Reply #8 on: 09 December 2019, 20:26:10 »
Another vote for Wolves on the Border. Best intro to the BT universe and the first novel that Hollywood should film IMHO. I've not read it in years but from what I remember

- Minobu Tetsuhara and Jaime Wolf's friendship and eventual conflict is a great personal story and clash of two cultures.
- The scene with Takashi and his warlords gives a window to the wider universe and puts the Minobu/Jaime story into context, without overwhelming the reader with details.
- The mystery and hints of the Dragoons' background presage the Clans entry into the setting.
- ComStar's tech-worship and machinations feature in the plot.
- The Black Widow
- Last but not least - the BattleMech action! Just the right balance between 'Mech combat and exploring the 'Game of Thrones'-esque setting.

same. my suggestion would be:
1st: Wolves on the border
2nd through 4th: The Warrior Trilogy
3rd: Heir to the Dragon.

those five familiarize you with the 4 most commonly used factions in the setting (sorry FWL) as well as give you a pretty broad view of the late succession war era politics and conflicts (good for when you later go back and read the grey death trilogy), with heir to the Dragon setting up (in its later chapters) the basic info needed to make the leap to the Clan Invasion era and later works.

HyperionCormyr

• Corporal
« Reply #9 on: 09 December 2019, 21:14:23 »
I would certainly suggest Wolves on the Border. It's encapsulated and a good stand alone book for a variety of reasons.

Heir to the Dragon is a little too "spread out" and it helps to know what's actually going on in the mega plot to follow that book easily.

If she wants to read more on her own after WotB, THEN give her Warrior Trilogy.

nerd

• Captain
  • Nunc Partus-Ready Now
    • Traveller Adventures
« Reply #10 on: 09 December 2019, 22:08:20 »
Later on, I'd go with Measure of a Hero for the FCCW era. Sympathetic characters, and the big names have supporting roles.
M. T. Thompson
Don of the Starslayer Mafia
Member of the AFFS High Command

Hellraiser

• Colonel
  • Cry Havoc and Unleash the Gods of Fiat.
« Reply #11 on: 09 December 2019, 22:55:14 »
I'd say this depends on the type of books your wife likes to read.

The whole "Man in the Iron Mask" feel of the original "Sword & Dagger" might be something she likes.

Its also a stand alone novel v/s a trilogy & it focuses mostly on 3 houses so you get some early FedCom alliance insight & the plot from Max that lead to the 4th SW.
3041: General Lance Hawkins: The Equalizers
3053: Star Colonel Rexor Kerensky: The Silver Wolves

"I don't shoot Urbanmechs, I walk up, stomp on their foot, wait for the head to pop open & drop in a hand grenade (or Elemental)" - Joel47
Against mechs, infantry have two options: Run screaming from Godzilla, or giggle under your breath as the arrogant fools blunder into your trap. - Weirdo

I am Belch II

• Lieutenant Colonel
  • It's a gator with a nuke, whats the problem.
« Reply #12 on: 10 December 2019, 03:41:09 »
Thanks, I'm also trying to find one also for my wife.
Walking the fine line between sarcasm and being a smart-ass

Ruger

• BattleTech Volunteer
  • Major
« Reply #13 on: 10 December 2019, 04:58:39 »
If she likes action adventure and colorful characters, the Cammacho’s Cabaleros series might be good.

Ruger
"If someone ever tries to kill you, you try to kill 'em right back." - Malcolm Reynolds, Firefly

"Who I am is where I stand. Where I stand is where I fall...Stand with me." - The Doctor, The Doctor Falls, Doctor Who

BoloMKIV

• Private
« Reply #14 on: 10 December 2019, 09:57:05 »
Wolves on the Border!  The Warrior Trilogy would also be great
  Well written, wide cast of characters.  Always feel a step above other books in BT.

Colt Ward

• Lieutenant General
  • Gott Mit Uns
    • Merc Periphery Guide- Bakunin
« Reply #15 on: 10 December 2019, 10:47:44 »
I'd say this depends on the type of books your wife likes to read.

The whole "Man in the Iron Mask" feel of the original "Sword & Dagger" might be something she likes.

Its also a stand alone novel v/s a trilogy & it focuses mostly on 3 houses so you get some early FedCom alliance insight & the plot from Max that lead to the 4th SW.

I will support this approach . . . my wife is a Game of Thrones fan, so I explained the IS that way- Game of Thrones in space.  She likes certain aspects of the Japanese culture and so we have discussed the Draconis Combine.  Discussed the Clans, b/c she thought about getting the toddler a t-shirt with a Wolf Clan logo . . . she enjoys telling me as the maternal line, she determines which Clan he is in.

Basically . . . if she likes action & adventure, you have a lot of suggestions to include most of the early books up to Initiation to War.  Any of the well done battlefront POV books will work.

IF she is more into the intrigue and plotting type stories- my wife loved the Tudors show where they got into court politics- then the meta or spine novels would be more important IMO.  They will not have much mech action compared to the battlefront/perspective books, but they will get into the struggles for power.  Wolves on the Border, Warrior Trilogy, or the Capellan Solution duology might be the best options as they deal with a lot of the politics and functions of the states outside of the battleground.
Colt Ward
Clan Invasion Backer #149, Leviathans #104

"We come in peace, please ignore the bloodstains."

"Greetings, Mechwarrior. You have been recruited by the Star League to defend the Frontier against Daoshen and the Capellan armada."

Register