Author Topic: Unable to move after touching the left side of the map  (Read 3843 times)

Iceweb

• Warrant Officer
  • Lyran Engineer
In the new stable release I am hitting a weird issue where my mechs won't move after touching the left side of the map. 

I tried with both a locust and a griffin and they both will not go to the hex on the left most side of the map unless it is the last hex of their movement. 
When their movement goes into the hex on the left side of the map ground movement can still be spent to turn but it will not let the mech move further.  For this case I am going from the south end of the map to the north end. 

Even when trying to jump the griffin if I click the left most hex and then click directly above it will not give any numbers elsewhere, the red turn arrow does not appear. 

However after I first hit this with the locust stopping in the west most hex and refusing to move past the entry hex.  Yet on the next movement phase the next turn the locust moved up the left hand side without issue. 

I have never seen this issue before and I don't know if anyone can reproduce it. 
Please let me know if you can move from the center to the west and continue moving or if you get this issue. 
If we can reproduce this I will open a bug report. 

BairdEC

• Master Sergeant
Re: Unable to move after touching the left side of the map
« Reply #1 on: 03 August 2019, 22:32:23 »
I think I''m getting something similar, but I am seeing it with any side: W, E, N, or S.  The N/S edges have to be the outer alternate hex to trigger the problem.  If the mech ends facing the edge of the map, it gets stuck until I turn it so that it faces any direction except off the board.  It is then able to move on the next turn.  Oddly, mechs can't back up along the edge, although the mech also does not get stuck.  (The Hermes is on a low-G planet, so it has more than the normal 9/14 move.)

BairdEC

• Master Sergeant
« Reply #2 on: 03 August 2019, 22:36:27 »
Here's the back up move suggested by the AI.  The game would not permit backing up two hexes, facing south, and continue backing up north along the edge.

NickAragua

• Master Sergeant
« Reply #3 on: 03 August 2019, 23:28:29 »
Can you guys put up a save next time you see this? It doesn't seem to happen every time, so it's a little difficult to reproduce.

Iceweb

• Warrant Officer
  • Lyran Engineer
« Reply #4 on: 03 August 2019, 23:36:49 »
I'll watch for it to happen again and give a save. 

I know it is a horrible intermittent bug which are hell to debug. 

I have had the bug occur on the right side of the map, and I have no doubt that the top and bottom would give similar errors. 

To make matters worse I had the bug hit me with an ASF, that was real fun.  But at least we know it is not just mechs.

Iceweb

• Warrant Officer
  • Lyran Engineer
« Reply #5 on: 04 August 2019, 00:24:27 »
I wasn't able to attach the zip file here due to size limits so I opened MegaMek issue 1429 which seemed to have no trouble with the zip file. 

I have a save game there with a Jenner IIC exhibiting the behavior.

https://github.com/MegaMek/megamek/issues/1429

NickAragua

• Master Sergeant
« Reply #6 on: 04 August 2019, 20:29:25 »
After loading the save, I unfortunately don't see it. The Jenner is able to move around, so I guess you always have the option to save and reload. The only thing I'm noticing (which is as usual) is that it's annoying to turn a mek on the edge so that it faces one of the "empty" hexes off-board.

Could you supply a megamek/mekhq.log file next time you encounter this as well?

BlueThing

• Sergeant
« Reply #7 on: 07 August 2019, 17:42:16 »
I’ve seen this as well a couple of times.

Once with a mech at the edge of the board. I rotated it so that it at least could fire, and that fixed it on take next turn.

I also noticed something similar once with an ASF. I could not proceed past a certain hex while planning a route along the map edge. Spawning in an ASF with a high velocity aimed to go along an entire map edge might be a way to rapidly see if you can replicate this, as the valid moves highlight clearly showed where the bad hex was.

NickAragua

• Master Sergeant
« Reply #8 on: 07 August 2019, 20:35:00 »
I believe this will be fixed next release.

BairdEC

• Master Sergeant
« Reply #9 on: 08 August 2019, 21:54:25 »
I had it happen again tonight, so I have a save and screenshot if you need it later.

Iceweb

• Warrant Officer
  • Lyran Engineer
« Reply #10 on: 08 August 2019, 22:25:37 »
It looks like there was some holdover code according to the (now closed) bug report

Should be fixed in the next version, just have to have patience

Register