Author Topic: Campaign Rules: Against the Bot Thread #4  (Read 219852 times)

plutonick

• Sergeant
Re: Campaign Rules: Against the Bot Thread #4
« Reply #960 on: 08 August 2019, 03:16:33 »
Just a heads up. There is a new version (v3) of the CampaignAnon's ATB guide.
(This has rekindled my interested in MekHQ/AtB)
http://www.mediafire.com/file/awpk2byt5pugd8w/Against_the_Bot_Starter_Guide_v3.pdf/file
Need a newbie guide for Against the Bot (AtB / MekHQ)? Click here (v3 updated August '19)

plutonick

• Sergeant
« Reply #961 on: 10 August 2019, 09:29:44 »
AtB question.

When I get a notification "Bonus 4 parts"

Do I need to GM add those parts? Is it ANY parts?
Or are they randomly added by MekHQ?

EDIT: ok, if someone reads this and has the same question, if you go to purchase parts screen, you can use the bonus to purchase them. (there is an option similar to "GM add")
« Last Edit: 10 August 2019, 09:43:11 by plutonick »
Need a newbie guide for Against the Bot (AtB / MekHQ)? Click here (v3 updated August '19)

dgorsman

• Captain
« Reply #962 on: 10 August 2019, 10:45:27 »
I've seen that for the bonus parts.  What about the bonus hires - how are those handled?
Think about it.  It's what we do.
- The Society

Thunder LRMs: the gift that keeps on giving.  They're the glitter of the BattleTech universe.

plutonick

• Sergeant
« Reply #963 on: 10 August 2019, 11:20:37 »
good question.

Schugger

• Master Sergeant
« Reply #964 on: 10 August 2019, 14:52:01 »
As for the parts:
Depending on your unit rating and contract you might sometimes not be able to aquire some much needed replacements. This is when the target number is "impossible". With bonus parts you can just buy them without doing a roll.
For Bonus hires:
You only get on rolly each week on the personal marked. When in contract, you can't even choose what you are looking for like you could when being not under contract with a paid recruitment roll. This enables you to aquire what you need instantly, be it a MechWarrior, Tech, whatever. You still have to determine his/her experience level modified by your HR Administrators rating. I think MHQ does this automatically - just go to the markedtplace -> hire.
At least that is how I understand it :)
"Shit!"
"What?"
"Clanners!"
"No!"
"Yep."
"Shit!"

plutonick

• Sergeant
« Reply #965 on: 11 August 2019, 07:56:40 »
I think even when I am in a contract, I can do a 'hire mechwarrior' regardless.

dgorsman

• Captain
« Reply #966 on: 11 August 2019, 14:35:02 »
When purchasing parts, thes a button for bonus parts if available.  With hiring, I've never seen anything that could be considered as such.  Is it just implemented behind the scenes, or...?
Think about it.  It's what we do.
- The Society

Thunder LRMs: the gift that keeps on giving.  They're the glitter of the BattleTech universe.

NickAragua

• Master Sergeant
« Reply #967 on: 11 August 2019, 14:55:30 »
Normally, in AtB, you're only supposed to use the personnel market to hire personnel. When you get a "free recruit", you can use the standard hire menu. There's no mechanism currently to enforce that, it's left up to the player.

BikeRacks

• Recruit
« Reply #968 on: 11 August 2019, 15:18:23 »
Normally, in AtB, you're only supposed to use the personnel market to hire personnel. When you get a "free recruit", you can use the standard hire menu. There's no mechanism currently to enforce that, it's left up to the player.
I apologize if this has already been asked before (couldn't find anything searching around). Since the personnel market in the atb rules only creates roughly 1 recruit per week. I'm assuming its not meant to be used to create your starting force, but expected to be the only method for hiring after initial force creation?
« Last Edit: 11 August 2019, 16:03:21 by BikeRacks »

plutonick

• Sergeant
« Reply #969 on: 11 August 2019, 16:10:18 »
oh yes, starting force is free (12 mechwarriors and their units). Just use 'Hire mechwarrior' 12 times (GM add). Same for their units. And the non-coms

Schugger

• Master Sergeant
« Reply #970 on: 12 August 2019, 07:12:10 »
As NickAragua said, when you follow the AtB rules you should use the "Hire" tab only at certain circumtances (Force generation, bonus hires, etc.).
You can get more offers and chosse the category of available personal by doing a "Paid recruitment roll" for 100.000 credits each week. What quality your headhunters find and how many depends on the admin skill of your HR Admin.
Sneaky hint for fresh starters: Hire an HR Admin in your starting roster for free first, then make your rolls for the rest of your personal. Providing you do not get a veteran or better MechTech in the starting roster, use paid recruitment rolls to get one asap. Helps much to prevent your 'Mechs arriving at the first contact location with a force in tatters.
"Shit!"
"What?"
"Clanners!"
"No!"
"Yep."
"Shit!"

plutonick

• Sergeant
« Reply #971 on: 12 August 2019, 07:56:54 »
Even though I posted a couple of times this month, let me do a personal summary.

I started playing AtB 2-3 years ago, and it was a wonderful experience. Then HBS got released and short of drifted away. But now, because of the kickstarter, I returned to MekHQ and it's wonderful learning AtB all over again. No really, I love setting up the initial campaigns! But there are some lingering thoughts I need to write down.

1. This thread seems to have died down. I guess it's a combination of HBS BattleTech and the fact that most talking is being done in the slack channel? It's a petty, because slack is limited as far as 'backlog' reading is concerned, unless you are a paying customer of slack

2. I have been thinking about the shares system (which I love) and the death of a mechwarrior. Would it make sense if instead of 'deducting' his share, a relative that inherited the mech could join the Unit (and random roll him, 1d6, rolling 1=no mech driving heirs)? Would this mess the economy of side of AtB?

Schugger

• Master Sergeant
« Reply #972 on: 12 August 2019, 09:01:58 »
2. I have been thinking about the shares system (which I love) and the death of a mechwarrior. Would it make sense if instead of 'deducting' his share, a relative that inherited the mech could join the Unit (and random roll him, 1d6, rolling 1=no mech driving heirs)? Would this mess the economy of side of AtB?

I think it's an excellent idea to give your campaign a kind of narrative. As your are virtually GMing your own campaign you can do as you you want, I guess.
"Shit!"
"What?"
"Clanners!"
"No!"
"Yep."
"Shit!"

plutonick

• Sergeant
« Reply #973 on: 13 August 2019, 04:35:52 »
actually I just reread rules 2.31 and there is indeed a rule on how to handle death of a shareholder, so I'll just use the 'official' rule instead.

But, I got another question. I've been reading CampaignAnon's guide and he recommends giving the 'sargeant' rank to support personnel, even Astechs. How does this affects the campaign mechanicaly? I mean does it affect some part of the AtB campaign?

NickAragua

• Master Sergeant
« Reply #974 on: 13 August 2019, 09:17:20 »
The only thing it affects that I can think of is that they get paid more.

plutonick

• Sergeant
« Reply #975 on: 13 August 2019, 15:43:18 »
Thanks NickAragua, I will NEVER give them ranks then!

Another question, I am a little confused about the training lance. I understand that green mechwarrior get 1 exp per week if their are in a Training Lance, but then in the 'campaign' sheet it says:

Code: [Select]
Experience Advancement
Both your mechwarriors and vehicle crews receive experience in battle or (for very green pilots) by training. This experience
is tracked using Experience Points (XPs) and you they gain then according to the following table:
+ 1 xp every month if rolling 10+ in a 2d6.
+ 1 xp for every battle fought, regardless of the battle result.
+ 1 xp for every unit destroyed by the mw/crew
[b]+ 1 xp each turn for each Green mw/crew in a training lance.
[/b]+ 1 xp for every 25 sucessfull task performed (Techs/Doctors)

What does it mean by "turn"? Is it a 'turn' of training, as in one week?
Or is it talking about the scenario when a training units gets attacked? Is it an actual combat turn?

Rince Wind

• Sergeant
« Reply #976 on: 13 August 2019, 16:13:27 »
You used to have to do all the bookkeeping yourself, and I guess a turn was a week. That is why so many other things are generated on a weekly base as well.

plutonick

• Sergeant
« Reply #977 on: 14 August 2019, 10:16:50 »
Ok, if it means that weakly bonus, then I don't have to do anything by hand. It's automated (I just noticed)

MoleMan

• Master Sergeant
« Reply #978 on: 16 August 2019, 01:16:00 »
Ooh, I never noticed the one xp per battle bit, that's handy, I don't think that is automated either but it's something I thought about doing myself anyway

Shin Ji

• Warrant Officer
« Reply #979 on: 16 August 2019, 05:39:56 »
So, I'm running a vee-heavy force for the first time, and I'm trying to figure out how it works. I've got 3 Manticores and 1 Rhino in each lance.

So, I know that the piloting and gunnery skills are averaged out, but it doesn't seem consistent which way it rounds, like in my Rhino there are 6 total crew, and sometimes with 3 Vets and 3 Elites, it counts as Elite for gunnery, and other times it counts as Veteran.

And how do special abilities work? It seems that having 3 people in a 6 person crew that all have the same ability means it shows up in Megamek scenarios, but again, only some of the time. Does it only work for one ability?

Sir Chaos

• Captain
  • Artillery Fanboy
« Reply #980 on: 16 August 2019, 08:09:25 »
So, I'm running a vee-heavy force for the first time, and I'm trying to figure out how it works. I've got 3 Manticores and 1 Rhino in each lance.

So, I know that the piloting and gunnery skills are averaged out, but it doesn't seem consistent which way it rounds, like in my Rhino there are 6 total crew, and sometimes with 3 Vets and 3 Elites, it counts as Elite for gunnery, and other times it counts as Veteran.

And how do special abilities work? It seems that having 3 people in a 6 person crew that all have the same ability means it shows up in Megamek scenarios, but again, only some of the time. Does it only work for one ability?

The crew´s Piloting score is that of the driver. The Gunnery score should be the average of the gunners´ scores.
"Artillery adds dignity to what would otherwise be a vulgar brawl."
-Frederick the Great

"Ultima Ratio Regis" ("The Last Resort of the King")
- Inscription on cannon barrel, 18th century

Shin Ji

• Warrant Officer
« Reply #981 on: 16 August 2019, 08:22:03 »
Oh, so maybe the gunnery of the pilot doesn't factor in? That might make sense. Still trying to figure out how SPAs work, tho. Thanks!

Shin Ji

• Warrant Officer
« Reply #982 on: 16 August 2019, 09:11:19 »
I think I've puzzled it out! In order for it to look at two SPAs from a single member of a given vehicle's crew, that person has to have a rank higher than Private.

Sir Chaos

• Captain
  • Artillery Fanboy
« Reply #983 on: 16 August 2019, 09:34:51 »
I think I've puzzled it out! In order for it to look at two SPAs from a single member of a given vehicle's crew, that person has to have a rank higher than Private.

I think it´s only the highest-ranked crew member that needs the SPAs. Not sure what happens if two member tie for highest rank.
"Artillery adds dignity to what would otherwise be a vulgar brawl."
-Frederick the Great

"Ultima Ratio Regis" ("The Last Resort of the King")
- Inscription on cannon barrel, 18th century

magnusmd

• Recruit
« Reply #984 on: 16 August 2019, 10:54:39 »
It used to be the unit's commander who had to have all of the SPAs

In the current development version (0.45.4), at least half of the crew (rounded up) must have an SPA for it to count.  Crew-served units that use this rule include large spacecraft, vehicles, infantry, battle armor and tripod mechs.

Eventually SPAs will be further modified to work according to IO rules

Shin Ji

• Warrant Officer
« Reply #985 on: 16 August 2019, 11:03:29 »
Ah, it's starting to come together now. So, you need half the crew rounded up, but in the case of an even split (3 with and 3 without, for example), it seems the highest ranked one serves as a weighted tiebreaker.

Schugger

• Master Sergeant
« Reply #986 on: 18 August 2019, 14:29:18 »
About XP in training lances: MHQ handles it automatically, but only if your are deployed in a contract.
About SPAs in multi personal vehicles:
It's complicated :D
I have an LRM Carrier with a crew of four. If I give two gunners the same skill (Cluster Hitter for example) it will not count. If one of the gunners is the vehicle commander (the guy which picture is shown in the TOE) the skill will count. If the driver is the commander of the vehicle and doesn't have the skill, all three gunners must have the skill to make it work in MM.
So you really have to plan ahead who you will make the commander and which skill you give to each crewmember.
"Shit!"
"What?"
"Clanners!"
"No!"
"Yep."
"Shit!"

BairdEC

• Master Sergeant
« Reply #987 on: 21 January 2020, 22:21:20 »
I'm considering working on the civilian RATs since they need some year-specific entries (https://github.com/MegaMek/mekhq/issues/1416).  It looks like the individual RATs are organized by folder for year>faction> type> class> rat_file.txt.  I'm a little fuzzy on how MHQ knows where to look for a specific file since the file path doesn't always match up to the name listed in the .xml files in .\data\universe\ratdata\.  I.e., .\data\rat\rat_default.zip\(3005 - 3039) - Historical - Brush Wars\Ronin Wars\House Kurita\Mech\Medium vs. <rat source='Historical-Brush Wars-Ronin War'>.  I see that the <rat name='3034 Free Rasalhague Republic Mech - Assault  A'>  will match up to a specific file name.

I noticed the RATs will generally have a limited list of units.  I'm thinking that means I would need to create individual files for each era/ starting year.  Would the later files need to include the units from the earlier files, or does MHQ have the ability to parse multiple files when generating forces?  I also noticed that the <chassis> tags have a :YEAR flag.  Would that would allow just creating a .xml file that references the current CivilianUnits.txt file?

Hammer

• Numerorum Malleo
  • Global Moderator
  • Major
    • MegaMek Website
« Reply #988 on: 22 January 2020, 10:40:16 »
I'm a little fuzzy........
The RATs get loaded into memory and the name is always the first line of the RAT file.

So in this case
Arcadian Cuirassiers Heavy Mechs

I noticed the RATs will generally have a limited list of units.  I'm thinking that means I would need to create individual files for each era/ starting year.  Would the later files need to include the units from the earlier files, or does MHQ have the ability to parse multiple files when generating forces?  I also noticed that the <chassis> tags have a :YEAR flag.  Would that would allow just creating a .xml file that references the current CivilianUnits.txt file?
You can link RATs back to each other give the Example RAT file in the docs folder a look for how to do this.  If you're working on RAT generator files best to also reference the docs folder.

The challenge with making custom RATs is getting the frequency right and getting the list of units.  I would start with the MUL online and build a list of civilian unit that should be on the RATs.  Then I'd group them into era's and then link the RATs back.
MegaMek Projects Wiki
Bug Trackers
MegaMek Tracker
MekHQ Tracker
MegaMekLab Tracker
New Units and RAT's aren't added until after the 2 month release moratorium is passed.
Join the official MegaMek Discord

Shin Ji

• Warrant Officer
« Reply #989 on: 27 January 2020, 11:53:37 »
Apologies if this has been covered somewhere, but how exactly does picking the skill level for AtB in Campaign options work? I know you get less enemies on average when you pick a lower skill level, but what's the ratio?

Register