Author Topic: Play it again Sam!  (Read 4754 times)

Kentares

• Warrant Officer
Re: Play it again Sam!
« Reply #30 on: 15 December 2019, 21:16:12 »
Also, you know how games used to put booklets or maps or other neat physical stuff in the gamebox, well, this game came with a t-shirt.

Very true. I still have that t-shirt although now doesn't fit me. Fun fact - at the time several employees of Psygnosis came from MicroProse.
Star Wars ST and Star Trek current shows are crap.

Wrangler

• Colonel
  • Dang it!
    • Battletech Fanon Wiki
« Reply #31 on: 15 December 2019, 21:23:48 »
Miss all those old games.  :'(
"Men, fetch the Urbanmechs.  We have an interrogation to attend to." - jklantern
"How do you defeat a Dragau? Shoot the damn thing. Lots." - Jellico 
"No, it's a "Most Awesome Blues Brothers scene Reenactment EVER" waiting to happen." VotW Destrier - Weirdo  
"It's 200 LY to Sian, we got a full load of shells, a half a platoon of Grenadiers, it's exploding outside, and we're wearing flak jackets." VoTW Destrier - Misterpants
-Editor on Battletech Fanon Wiki

Matti

• Major
  • In Rory we trust
« Reply #32 on: 15 December 2019, 22:52:31 »
Miss all those old games.  :'(
You don't have to miss them. Steam, GOG, and other their equivalents have many of the mentioned old games available. The Settlers is on Ubisoft Store. Games can (or not) come with PDFs of the manuals, maps, and other literature stuff that you can print on paper. If that isn't good enough for you, then look up Amazon, eBay, and equivalents for physical copies.
You know what they say, don't you? About how us MechWarriors are the modern knights errant, how warfare has become civilized now that we have to abide by conventions and rules of war. Don't believe it.

Top Sergeant

• Catalyst Demo Team
  • Major
  • Swamp Angels Mercenary Regiment
« Reply #33 on: 01 January 2020, 08:20:07 »
Ascendancy.

A sort of conquer the galaxy game something akin to a Master of Orion but with such great tongue in cheek humor I never got tired of playing it.

I still talk about Long Range Orbital Whoppers, Nano Twirlers, Ion Bangers, Star Lane Endoscopes, etc. :)
We hear that there are tumults and riots in Rome, and that voices are raised concerning the army and the quality of our soldiers. Make haste to reassure us that you love and support us as we love and support you, for if we find that we have left our bones to bleach in these sands in vain, then beware the fury of the legions.

elf25s

• Major
« Reply #34 on: 01 January 2020, 14:16:20 »
Arcade wise, GAUNTLET!!!!
one and two loved both cant seem to find t for meme
you sure cannot out run death...but sure as hell you can make that bastard work for it!

elf25s

• Major
« Reply #35 on: 01 January 2020, 14:53:08 »
Ascendancy.

A sort of conquer the galaxy game something akin to a Master of Orion but with such great tongue in cheek humor I never got tired of playing it.

I still talk about Long Range Orbital Whoppers, Nano Twirlers, Ion Bangers, Star Lane Endoscopes, etc. :)
thank gods for dos box! loved that one still play it
you sure cannot out run death...but sure as hell you can make that bastard work for it!

BirdofPrey

• Major
« Reply #36 on: 01 January 2020, 16:35:15 »
Worldbuilding-  I liked Outpost (1994), a very science based colony planner game.  For one thing it introduced me to Holst's Planets since Mars was the main theme for the whole game.  Take your survivors from Earth, spread your colony above and below ground while preparing to send more settlers onward- Ad Astra!  To me it was a better version of SimCity.

God I have been waiting for an eternity for someone to make another Outpost type game.
To be fair the first WAS hot garbage since it was released half baked with a few things not implemented and a random bug that just kills everyone half of your games.

Surviving Mars is sorta close in what you're trying to do, but having support from Earth changes things vastly.  none of that "Any mistake at this point will doom your colonists to certain death" when setting up your cargo and scouting potential systems.  And I still love the whole seed factory thing to this day.

I wish older RTS games like World In Conflict and Empire At War still had thriving communities.  I miss those old games with minimal macro, and EaW had a neat map conquering system.

Daryk

• Lieutenant General
  • The Double Deuce II/II-σ
« Reply #37 on: 01 January 2020, 16:41:11 »
Makes me sad I missed that game!  It sounds really cool, and I too am surprised no one has tried a remake.

CivCity Rome was pretty cool... I haven't tried to run it under Windows 10, but the way it did steady upgrades (hovels to houses, to insula above shops, to villas and palaces eventually) was brilliant!

Colt Ward

• Lieutenant General
  • Gott Mit Uns
    • Merc Periphery Guide- Bakunin
« Reply #38 on: 02 January 2020, 11:23:58 »
I did not know the 'everyone dies' was a bug until recently . . . lol, I just looked at is as a random possibility that the colony dies from something it cannot figure out before being wiped out.  A sort of meta-hint from the game to SEND MORE THAN ONE!
Colt Ward
Clan Invasion Backer #149, Leviathans #104

"We come in peace, please ignore the bloodstains."

"Greetings, Mechwarrior. You have been recruited by the Star League to defend the Frontier against Daoshen and the Capellan armada."

rebs

• Colonel
  • Et tu, Brute?
« Reply #39 on: 02 January 2020, 18:02:56 »
Heroes of Might and Magic III for me.  I love that game still, and its superior to HMM4 due to all the plugins and fan-made content. 
Playing Guitar On My YouTube Channel:
Current cover tune: "The Wind Cries Mary" (by Jimi Hendrix)
https://youtu.be/m6a8wZiCsjM?si=0w7tVOgk7yylNv6a

"Thou shalt not create a machine in the image of the human mind." ~ The Orange Catholic Bible, Dune, Frank Herbert

JoeJones

• Warrant Officer
« Reply #40 on: 02 January 2020, 19:09:13 »
Master of Magic was one of my favorites from the early-to-mid 90s. It played like a combination of Civilization and Magic the Gathering, with actual tactical combat elements.

Register